Who Will Be Next Year's Scapegoat?

ArtVandalay

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

If your GM doesn’t draft enough quality player to re-sign. Or doesn’t re-sign the quality players that they drafted, is it really “throwing the GM under the bus”?

Ok. What I was thinking you meant. But the assumed drafts are made by McD not Beane. And the fact is that Beane should have McD in the hot seat. But I am arguing that McD will have Beane on the hot seat with ownership before he is ever let go. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Last year the Special Teams Coordinator was the scapegoat. 

This year it was the Defensive Coordinator. 

Who will be McDermott's scapegoat next year? On to Offensive Coordinator? He already did that previously when he fired Dennison, can always go back there again and fire Dorsey I guess...

... walls are closing in ...

You might be ahead of the curve with this one.  

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

Ok. What I was thinking you meant. But the assumed drafts are made by McD not Beane. And the fact is that Beane should have McD in the hot seat. But I am arguing that McD will have Beane on the hot seat with ownership before he is ever let go. 

Wait, are you saying that you think McD runs the all the drafts and Beane takes a back seat?

Or are you confusing the 2017 class that was Whaley/McD with the 2018 McBeane draft where they took Allen?

Just now, Mango said:

Wait, are you saying that you think McD runs the all the drafts and Beane takes a back seat?

Or are you confusing the 2017 class that was Whaley/McD with the 2018 McBeane draft where they took Allen?

I don’t think Beane takes a back seat for all of it. I’d be willing to bet a paycheck that McD runs all the picks that are on defense. Which happen to be more early picks than offensive players. McD gets what he wants. It’s pretty obvious to me. 

13 minutes ago, mrags said:

They legit have only one piece of assembling a good team already. They had a dominant defense (all pretty much bought, not drafted), but no longer do. They have zero weapons on offense other than Diggs(traded for, not drafted). 

I don’t believe Beane or McD are at any impasse. But I do believe that another year or 2 of why we’ve already experienced so well, and Terry is going to start sing questions. He’s going to go to McD not Beane and McD will gladly show that the draft picks that have been made are not panning out, even though I believe he has hand picked every single one of the defensive draft picks. 

just my opinion. No way to prove it until it happens. I guess well just see when the time comes. But I’m marking it down here now. Beane will be gone before McD is. Unless one of them steps away from football for some time. Even then I believe it’ll be set up in a certain way. 

i’m not hating on this take but defense being “bought not drafted”…they drafted Tre, Milano, Taron, Hamlin, and these two rookie CBs that look pretty good so far. They missed on d linemen over and over again recently so I get it the recency bias.

scapegoat ?  poor choice of word

no one from the bills is blaming frazier. he is voluntarily taking time off.

lots of fans think we can do better.....he had alot of success, so that may be easier said than done.

i myself feel like he played soft and was predictable. you need to mix it up more. 

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

i’m not hating on this take but defense being “bought not drafted”…they drafted Tre, Milano, Taron, Hamlin, and these two rookie CBs that look pretty good so far. They missed on d linemen over and over again recently so I get it the recency bias.

Tre was hardly a question. It was a no brainer pick. Milano they got lucky with. Taron they got lucky with. Hamlin is meh. So far the rookies are meh. Time will tell. They haven’t been able to draft a DLmen to save their lives. They bought Poyer and Hyde also. 

1 minute ago, papazoid said:

scapegoat ?  poor choice of word

no one from the bills is blaming frazier. he is voluntarily taking time off.

lots of fans think we can do better.....he had alot of success, so that may be easier said than done.

i myself feel like he played soft and was predictable. you need to mix it up more. 

I agree he was too predictable. I actually hope it's McDermott who call the plays. I think he, as a DC, hehas a better feel of the game than Frazier and when to become more aggressive. I also think we would see adjustments happen earlier in the game.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

look, i think i know what you’re saying here - talent should trump “culture” - and I agree with that 100%. 

But i def disagree that: 1. Terry has any sort of input into football s*** that would back McD up; and 2: that McD and Beane are at any sort of impasse. 

I just think they missed on the last couple drafts, in the early rounds. Sucks for sure. Get better at that high prospect ids (1st-3rd rd) and they’ll be fine. They have the hardest part of assembling a good team already set.

I think the criticism is valid until the organization, coaches, and players prove otherwise. Thus far, they have fallen short. Something Bills fans have unfortunately been accustomed to. 

34 minutes ago, mrags said:

They legit have only one piece of assembling a good team already. They had a dominant defense (all pretty much bought, not drafted), but no longer do. They have zero weapons on offense other than Diggs(traded for, not drafted). 

I don’t believe Beane or McD are at any impasse. But I do believe that another year or 2 of why we’ve already experienced so well, and Terry is going to start sing questions. He’s going to go to McD not Beane and McD will gladly show that the draft picks that have been made are not panning out, even though I believe he has hand picked every single one of the defensive draft picks. 

just my opinion. No way to prove it until it happens. I guess well just see when the time comes. But I’m marking it down here now. Beane will be gone before McD is. Unless one of them steps away from football for some time. Even then I believe it’ll be set up in a certain way. 

I think they both would go. A new GM isn't going to inherit McD. 

29 minutes ago, mrags said:

Both will be able to find jobs easily. They have a proven track record of rebuilding teams into playoff teams.

Thus, I don't think their seats will ever be too hot. They know struggling teams will be calling. 

I'm seriously thinking it might be time to move on. I think the Bills organization needs some different people in charge. Change sometimes is needed. Only issue is capable replacements might be hard to find. I would think having Allen and Von would be a big selling point.

2 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Last year the Special Teams Coordinator was the scapegoat. 

This year it was the Defensive Coordinator. 

Who will be McDermott's scapegoat next year? On to Offensive Coordinator? He already did that previously when he fired Dennison, can always go back there again and fire Dorsey I guess...

... walls are closing in ...

It’s amazing that a 13 and three head coach needs a scapegoat

Buffalo has great fans, but they’ve got some ***** ones to

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think the criticism is valid until the organization, coaches, and players prove otherwise. Thus far, they have fallen short. Something Bills fans have unfortunately been accustomed to. 

I think they both would go. A new GM isn't going to inherit McD. 

Money rules all. And so does a franchise QB. And so does McD picking and choosing his GM just like he did with Beane. 

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s amazing that a 13 and three head coach needs a scapegoat

Buffalo has great fans, but they’ve got some ***** ones to

It’s amazing that a 13-3 coach hasn’t received more criticism from fans after 13 seconds. Or the shellacking at home against Cinci, or the terrible loss in KC in 2020. Or other losses that were at at the hands of terrible coaching decisions that cost us the 1 seed for the bye, or previous years home field advantage in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, mrags said:

Money rules all. And so does a franchise QB. And so does McD picking and choosing his GM just like he did with Beane. 

Not sure why you think McD gets a free pass if the team continues to fail in the playoffs?

I don't think he's untouchable. I think it's widely believed he blew the KC 13 second game. His team was flat and unprepared vs Cinci. There are some valid reasons to think about making coaching changes which includes him. 

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Not sure why you think McD gets a free pass if the team continues to fail in the playoffs?

I don't think he's untouchable. I think it's widely believed he blew the KC 13 second game. His team was flat and unprepared vs Cinci. There are some valid reasons to think about making coaching changes which includes him. 

I don’t think he’s untouchable. I think he has Terrys ear more than anyone in the organization. I believe Terry would fire Beane before he would let Beane fire McD. 

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.