Who Will Be Next Year's Scapegoat?

ArtVandalay

Just now, FireChans said:

Daboll sucks, Dorsey must be better.

Frazier sucks, X must be better….

Depends on who X is. Have you seen Frazier's defense against good teams with good QB's. Even some scrub QB almost won a playoff game at Buffalo for Miami. Frazier's defense does suck. I am not impressed with shutting out bottom feeders to pad the stats and have a high-ranking defense. Everybody knows the Bills defense was a paper tiger.

Just now, Gregg said:

Depends on who X is. Have you seen Frazier's defense against good teams with good QB's. Even some scrub QB almost won a playoff game at Buffalo for Miami. Frazier's defense does suck. I am not impressed with shutting out bottom feeders to pad the stats and have a high-ranking defense. Everybody knows the Bills defense was a paper tiger.

Okay sure lmao.

Around Week 8 we are gonna see, “this team misses Frazier,” topics. Folks like you will either be silent or pretend you didn’t spend all off-season blaming him for Josh Allen fumbling for a defensive TD 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gregg said:

I think his point is that “it can certainly be worse.” I don’t think that anyone is saying that Frazier’s defense is perfect. You’d have to be insane though to think that whoever takes over will definitely be an improvement. The Bills defense has been near the top of the league since he got here. It certainly struggled at times but it can ABSOLUTELY be worse with someone else calling the shots. I go back and forth with this. The grass may be greener. It may not. 

30 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

The fact is Sean has got this team to playoffs the past 4 seasons, which is great and all fans truly appreciate this.  Can anyone dare say any other coach since Levy has had a QB with HOF skills and is a top 3-4 QB?. Zero of them did,  so just making the playoffs because 85% of the time during the regular games you have the best player on the field is not going to cut it if you continue crap the bed come playoff time.

13 secs was one of the top 1-2 choke finishes ever in playoff history,  you cannot just sweep that under there table and then with Bengals missing 3 starting offensive line players you get destroyed at home.  I am sure Pegula has his own adviser,  who is telling him that the Chiefs are killing it with drafting and killing it with their HC.  This coming season will be very important,  if we see another dud playoff game then the Marvin Lewis comparisons will come out.  He was another DC turned HC who had so many great regular seasons and would then crap the bed come playoff time.

Something lost this past season was the Bills nearly lost their opening playoff game to the Dolphins who were playing their 3rd string QB. They were more in a position to win that game late in the 4th quarter than we were ever in a position to beat Bengals.

Great post! Just not sure many share similar viewpoints.

Seems like so many fans are satisfied with the regular wins and playoffs appearances. The bar seems to be low perhaps due to all the previous Bills losses and failures.

Lots of fans seems to love McD because of his high character. The regular seasons wins, division titles, and playoff appearances seem to satisfy most fans. Perhaps the bar is set low again; when you compare him to the likes of Rex Ryan and Dick Jauron.

The Bills can do much worse than McD. Change is often scary. Combine these two thoughts and the above mentioned. Hence, it's much easier to stay the course and hope McD can " pull the rabbit" out of the hat."

We have a six year sample size of McD. However, I'd like to focus on the last two years. The team was absolutely positioned to make a Super Bowl run. Frankly, they didn't come close. The team was out coached and out maneuvered by a wide margin. Frankly, coaching had a lot to do with losing those playoff games. Not sure how the most optimistic fan or McD supporter can argue otherwise.

I can see how many are willing to give McD another opportunity. Many have provided excuses for the team's failures. Many point out other coaches mistakes and lack of success before succeeding. Any Reid in Philly comes to mind. 

This season should be a make or break season for McD. Probably won't happen. The McD rhetoric is getting old because the results have fallen woefully short the last two years. When is enough enough? 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

At some point, the head coach should take some responsibility.

His nice guy and great character blurries our vision at times. 

Coach McD has failed to meet goals and expectations for the last three years. 

The three playoff losses have been pretty bad. Coaching was pretty bad. 

This team should be better than early playoff exits with years of a Josh Allen under center. 

That's interesting that you know what the teams actual goals were every year.  When does Terry send them to you, can you forward me his email?

There are 32 teams in the NFL.  While all 32 will publicly tell you their goal is to win the SB every year, realistically behind closed doors, teams likely discuss where they really are.  Was this past year to win the SB and did they feel they had a good shot, sure.  Prior particularly 3 years ago reaching the AFC championship game may have exceeded their expectations.  Even this past year, by the end of the season, not so sure the team even believed they could win it between all the injuries and other things that happened.

So the only goals and expectations they didn't meet were yours. and most fans here.  But you're not speaking for the team.

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Okay sure lmao.

Around Week 8 we are gonna see, “this team misses Frazier,” topics. Folks like you will either be silent or pretend you didn’t spend all off-season blaming him for Josh Allen fumbling for a defensive TD 

I expect the defense to regress with Edmunds and Poyer most likely gone. I will be complaining if Allen has to be a one-man gang again. Build around Allen. Better OL, and more weapons to go along with Diggs. If the defense can be in the 10-15 range, then I can live with that provided the Bills offense improves with a more balanced attack. Allen isn't winning a Super Bowl by having to play Superman. Look at KC. Is the defense really that great? Yet they have 2 Super Bowls championships recently.

Edited by Gregg
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Great post! Just not sure many share similar viewpoints.

Seems like so manh fans are satisfied with the regular wins and playoffs appearances. The bar seems to be low due to all the previous Bills losses and failures.

Lots of fans seems to love McD because of his high character. The regular seasons wins, division titles, and playoff appearances seem to satisfy most fans. Perhaps the bar is set low again when you compare him to the likes of Rex Ryan and Dick Jauron.

The Bills can do much worse than McD. Change is often scary. Combine these two thoughts and the above mentioned. Hence, it's much easier to stay the course and hope McD can " pull the rabbit" out of the hat."

We have a six year sample size of McD. However, I'd like to focus on the last two years. The team was absolutely positioned to make a Super Bowl run. Frankly, they didn't come close. The team was out coached and out maneuvered by a wide margin. Frankly, coaching had a lot to do with losing those playoff games. Not sure how the even most optimistic fan or McD supporter can argue otherwise.

I can see how many are willing to give McD another opportunity. Many have provided excuses for the team's failures. Many point out other coaches mistakes and lack of success before succeeding. Any Reid in Philly comes to mind. 

This season should be a make or break season for McD. Probably won't happen. The McD rhetoric is getting old because the results have fallen woefully short the last two years. When is enough enough? 

Agree with all of this and I have this unsubstantiated feeling that Terry Pegula has the same "loyalty" trait that McD and Beane have and will hold on to him as long as the Bills keep making the playoffs.  I could be wrong though....any Sabre fans want to chime in?   

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

The fact is Sean has got this team to playoffs the past 4 seasons, which is great and all fans truly appreciate this.  Can anyone dare say any other coach since Levy has had a QB with HOF skills and is a top 3-4 QB?. Zero of them did,  so just making the playoffs because 85% of the time during the regular games you have the best player on the field is not going to cut it if you continue crap the bed come playoff time.

13 secs was one of the top 1-2 choke finishes ever in playoff history,  you cannot just sweep that under there table and then with Bengals missing 3 starting offensive line players you get destroyed at home.  I am sure Pegula has his own adviser,  who is telling him that the Chiefs are killing it with drafting and killing it with their HC.  This coming season will be very important,  if we see another dud playoff game then the Marvin Lewis comparisons will come out.  He was another DC turned HC who had so many great regular seasons and would then crap the bed come playoff time.

Something lost this past season was the Bills nearly lost their opening playoff game to the Dolphins who were playing their 3rd string QB. They were more in a position to win that game late in the 4th quarter than we were ever in a position to beat Bengals.

This

7 hours ago, mrags said:

I don’t think he’s untouchable. I think he has Terrys ear more than anyone in the organization. I believe Terry would fire Beane before he would let Beane fire McD. 

I think McD would go before Beane. It's really difficult to find quality GMs. The pool is much smaller than the coaching pool. 

I suspect when the times right both will be gone at the same time. Clean house if you will. 

I think you are giving McD way too much power. 

Ah, so many lollipops talking about AFC East titles (started when Brady left and the 3 other teams have been bad) 10+ wins seasons (Josh Allen is our QB), and McClap’s winning %…

They are completely oblivious to the fact of his horrible in game decisions, choke jobs when it matters (playoffs), and the massive top round investments into defensive picks who stink. Before anybody says that’s on Beane, wake the heck up. Sean hired Beane. Beane is a puppet on a string taking orders from the czar McClappy.

You want to support and give the coach all the glory for beating crap in division teams with Brady leaving and ruining/not protecting the best QB to ever put on a Bills jersey then go ahead.

Like I said 2 years ago, like I said last season before it kicked off, like I’m saying now, we won’t ever win a Super Bowl with Sean McDermott and we are wasting Josh Allen…a once in a generation talent. Brian Daboll walked, we kept  mcclap, we get what we deserve.

We are in coaching purgatory. Sad!

20 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Agree with all of this and I have this unsubstantiated feeling that Terry Pegula has the same "loyalty" trait that McD and Beane have and will hold on to him as long as the Bills keep making the playoffs.  I could be wrong though....any Sabre fans want to chime in?   

I agree with you. Making the playoffs certainly bolsters the chances for the regime to remain.

The percentage of a team making the playoffs is 59%. Couple that with a franchise QB named Allen. Making the playoffs is hardly a feat. Winning one playoff game isn't the goal. 

For whatever reason, the team had fallen short. I don't think it's unreasonable to scrutinize the coaching staff and general manager. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’ll happily take a worse regular season defense that doesn’t get absolutely annihilated come playoff time against better competition…. Just hope the organization can finally put most of the limited chips it has into the offense basket and make do with scraps on defense this offseason(basically the opposite of what they’ve been doing). I still think the first round pick is going to be defense(money is on Safety. Runner up is MLB to replace Edmunds).

I agree with the top part. I’m simply suggesting that it isn’t a guarantee that the playoff defense improves. I’m hopeful and believe that change was needed. 

I don’t think that they draft defense. There has been too much focus on the neglect on offense. Kelvin Benjamin is the only offensive player drafted in round 1 that Allen has played with 😂😂. That changes this year. It will either be an OL or WR imo. TE is a sleeper.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, McBean said:

Ah, so many lollipops talking about AFC East titles (started when Brady left and the 3 other teams have been bad) 10+ wins seasons (Josh Allen is our QB), and McClap’s winning %…

They are completely oblivious to the fact of his horrible in game decisions, choke jobs when it matters (playoffs), and the massive top round investments into defensive picks who stink. Before anybody says that’s on Beane, wake the heck up. Sean hired Beane. Beane is a puppet on a string taking orders from the czar McClappy.

You want to support and give the coach all the glory for beating crap in division teams with Brady leaving and ruining/not protecting the best QB to ever put on a Bills jersey then go ahead.

Like I said 2 years ago, like I said last season before it kicked off, like I’m saying now, we won’t ever win a Super Bowl with Sean McDermott and we are wasting Josh Allen…a once in a generation talent. Brian Daboll walked, we kept  mcclap, we get what we deserve.

We are in coaching purgatory. Sad!

Sean recommended Beane and the Pegula's (the real bosses) hired him. Why would Beane stay on as the Bills GM if he were just a puppet? Obviously, Sean and Brandon talk strategy. My guess is Sean tells Brandon what type of player he would like on the roster. Beane and his scouts start the process in September when CFB season starts. Don't forget Beane can focus a lot of his time on CFB while Sean is focused on the Bills season. I am sure Beane runs the draft because of this. For all we know one of the scouts tells Beane about a player and then Beane flies to the game to see the player in person. Then takes a flight back to wherever the Bills are playing that Sunday. Terry has already said both men report to him and neither of them is the boss over the other. 

33 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That's interesting that you know what the teams actual goals were every year.  When does Terry send them to you, can you forward me his email?

There are 32 teams in the NFL.  While all 32 will publicly tell you their goal is to win the SB every year, realistically behind closed doors, teams likely discuss where they really are.  Was this past year to win the SB and did they feel they had a good shot, sure.  Prior particularly 3 years ago reaching the AFC championship game may have exceeded their expectations.  Even this past year, by the end of the season, not so sure the team even believed they could win it between all the injuries and other things that happened.

So the only goals and expectations they didn't meet were yours. and most fans here.  But you're not speaking for the team.

This post is pretty ridiculous. If course, I don't speak for the team.

Not sure what planet you are living on?  You don't think the goal of the Bills team the last two years wasn't going to the Super Bowl and winning it? Really? Surely, you can't be that foolish to perpetrate that position.

Let me copy Beane's press conference comments after losing to KC. The infamous 13 second game.

Beane was brutally honest about one thing. Just because you’re one game away from the Super Bowl, it doesn’t mean you are a “Super Bowl team.” While that might be pretty strong of a statement, there’s is no debating it: That is the truth.

“I still think we need to be very honest with where we’re at. We’re still not a Super Bowl team. There’s one team happy at the end of the year. We made a great step last year and another step this year, but we still have to go further. The goal here is to win that game [the Super Bowl], and until we get in that game to compete for it, we can’t win it,”

10 hours ago, MJS said:

You've had a vendetta against McDermott for years now. I can't take anything you say seriously.

But he's right. McDermott exposed himself fully after the 13 seconds and that was unforgivable. He is a chump and always was.

I wish I had the energy to go back and find my posts where I was pounding the table to promote Daboll and dump McClappy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m not blurriesed, but I like 13-3 seasons, with two freaky losses.    😋

I agree that was amazing fun.  Still, quality means something regarding wins and it provides clues to post season success as trends develop. Despite the wins, if we are willing to be honest, we could see the quality of play deteriorating at seasons end. Struggling and then losing at home in the playoffs didn’t used to be the Bills way.  They used to play their best, highest intensity games  then, and rarely if ever came out flat like that Cincy game.  

It was a crazy , injury plagued , and I hope , an aberrant season leading up to the playoffs. My only concern is it is three playoff disappointments without one SB appearance and each year has ended with some form of coaching gaff or appearance of being out smarted.

He has to clear that playoff plateau , as newer staffs ( Cincy, Philly, Miami & the jets beat us with less talented qb play under younger HC’s) are showing rapid progression.  The 4-5 playoff record is a monkey on his back , and is tarnishing his stellar reg season success. He is great for the culture and city, but marv at least managed to get 4 shots at the prize, so fans shouldn’t be  content with less now, having  a gifted franchise qb; one they patiently waited 17 years for. I hope he is the coach to finally win it all, but his margin for error keeps getting thinner. With Frazier bowing out , it’s like a noose tightening.  Let’s hope its a slip knot and he doesn’t hang himself but instead, crafts a bow around that Lombardi to give to the Bills mafia.  

30 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree with the top part. I’m simply suggesting that it isn’t a guarantee that the playoff defense improves. I’m hopeful and believe that change was needed. 

I don’t think that they draft defense. There has been too much focus on the neglect on offense. Kelvin Benjamin is the only offensive player drafted in round 1 that Allen has played with 😂😂. That changes this year. It will either be an OL or WR imo. TE is a sleeper.

Bro they are drafting a safety in the first round. Don’t even start. You know it’s happening.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.