Who Will Be Next Year's Scapegoat?

ArtVandalay

3 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Last year the Special Teams Coordinator was the scapegoat. 

This year it was the Defensive Coordinator. 

Who will be McDermott's scapegoat next year? On to Offensive Coordinator? He already did that previously when he fired Dennison, can always go back there again and fire Dorsey I guess...

... walls are closing in ...

Better question:  When are you gonna get a new schtick?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean he didn't fire Frazier..... 

The only people scapegoating Leslie Frazier are fans. 

You really believe they didn’t nudge Frazier into a year off? Not a chance he just decided to take a year on his own. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I don’t think he’s untouchable. I think he has Terrys ear more than anyone in the organization. I believe Terry would fire Beane before he would let Beane fire McD. 

Organisationally Beane cannot fire McDermott. McDermott does not report to Beane. Even in terms of the org chart both report to Pegula. 

In reality it is much more, as you indicate, Beane reporting to McDermott. This is Sean McDermott's ship. 

But the Bills have never pretended that Beane has any power over McDermott. They have always been at pains to point out that is not the case.

Just now, mrags said:

You really believe they didn’t nudge Frazier into a year off? Not a chance he just decided to take a year on his own. 

Yes. I really believe it. You are wrong.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, mrags said:

players that Tow the company line

That could be it!!!   Why we failed the last 3 years.  The correct  expression is actually "toe the line".

Stern memo to all players and staff to follow via email later today.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mrags said:

It’s amazing that a 13-3 coach hasn’t received more criticism from fans after 13 seconds. Or the shellacking at home against Cinci, or the terrible loss in KC in 2020. Or other losses that were at at the hands of terrible coaching decisions that cost us the 1 seed for the bye, or previous years home field advantage in the playoffs. 

Do you think that he’s not receiving criticism?

Do you think that the defensive coordinator left today because things were going so great?

My point is this don’t treat a head coach that went 13 and three like he went three and 13

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They didnt fire Leslie.. he is taking a break

A polite way of asking him to leave,  this gives him an opportunity for a fresh start next season with another team while not throwing him right under the bus and then he starts complaining to the media.  I am sure we would have heard you really was behind the stupid play calling of 13 secs, so yes this way of dismissal avoids a messy divorce. Even after Dabol left you heard some things from Dabol's team in the media,  I am sure it would have been far worse with Frazier.

If you noticed it says he wants to return to coaching next season,  the biggest part of that that statement is it never mentions returning to the Bills

24 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

But....do you know WHY he is taking a break? Perhaps he was pushed to " take a break" rather than get fired?

Bingo,  coaches don't just decide to take breaks.  He was was pushed out this way to avoid further damage to Frazier's already crushed reputation and to avoid him leaking to the media about who is really behind the problems this defence has had in the playoffs. 

I wanted Frazier gone so now we can finally see who is really at fault,  I think it would be a massive mistake letting Sean call defensive plays but Beanne will most likely do this because of Sean's massive ego.  

I still have no forgiven him for 13 secs,  you don't blame others.  He should have gone directly to his kicker to inform him about squib kick #1 and zero common sense on the 2 plays after that.  A great HC does not allow this to happen, especially if your calling timeouts on each of those 2 plays.  Like why were they worried about the sideline when KC had all of their timeouts? How about rushing only 3 with spy and just dragging down Kelce and Hill on first down play and then even Kelce could not believe they were conceding the middle of the field on second down. It was a loser finish and we most likely won't find out the truth until after next season when Frazier starts leaking stuff on what happened.

I could never get how a player who played on the most aggressive defensive team (85 Bears) ever turned into some bend by not break DC playing soft zones with DB'S 8-10 off the line. 

7 hours ago, papazoid said:

scapegoat ?  poor choice of word

no one from the bills is blaming frazier. he is voluntarily taking time off.

lots of fans think we can do better.....he had alot of success, so that may be easier said than done.

i myself feel like he played soft and was predictable. you need to mix it up more. 

If you buy that story, I’ve got some sweet ocean front property for sale in Arizona I’d love to discuss with you.

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Not sure why you think McD gets a free pass if the team continues to fail in the playoffs?

I don't think he's untouchable. I think it's widely believed he blew the KC 13 second game. His team was flat and unprepared vs Cinci. There are some valid reasons to think about making coaching changes which includes him. 

The fact is Sean has got this team to playoffs the past 4 seasons, which is great and all fans truly appreciate this.  Can anyone dare say any other coach since Levy has had a QB with HOF skills and is a top 3-4 QB?. Zero of them did,  so just making the playoffs because 85% of the time during the regular games you have the best player on the field is not going to cut it if you continue crap the bed come playoff time.

13 secs was one of the top 1-2 choke finishes ever in playoff history,  you cannot just sweep that under there table and then with Bengals missing 3 starting offensive line players you get destroyed at home.  I am sure Pegula has his own adviser,  who is telling him that the Chiefs are killing it with drafting and killing it with their HC.  This coming season will be very important,  if we see another dud playoff game then the Marvin Lewis comparisons will come out.  He was another DC turned HC who had so many great regular seasons and would then crap the bed come playoff time.

Something lost this past season was the Bills nearly lost their opening playoff game to the Dolphins who were playing their 3rd string QB. They were more in a position to win that game late in the 4th quarter than we were ever in a position to beat Bengals.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

If you buy that story, I’ve got some sweet ocean front property for sale in Arizona I’d love to discuss with you.

As much as I hate to contribute to this thread, I’ll weigh in on this. My first thought was that Frazier was dealing with a serious health issue, but after hearing Beane talk about it I think it was a firing. Warrow said that Frazier’s contract wasn’t up yet and contracts typically prevent coaches from double dipping so Frazier probably wouldn’t be coaching in 2023 if fired. The way it was done seems like more of a  face-saving measure for a respected colleague. 

If McDermott makes himself the DC and the D ****'s the bed again in the playoffs, then I know who I am blaming. Overall, he and Beane have done a good job, but it is fair to wonder if they will get over the hump and bring a Lombardi to Buffalo. I still can't believe 13 seconds happened. If by some miracle Belichick and the Pats ever part ways I would offer him a blank check to come here if I were Terry Pegula. Give Bill an elite level franchise QB and everyone knows what he can do.

I honestly believe that Frazier made the decision to take the year off (although I doubt he ever returns). If it were up to the Bills they would have let him go when they could have chased people like Fangio. 

Additioinally, the Bills would have done it early so that he would have had a chance to get a DC job elsewhere. There is plenty of respect there. It doesn’t make ANY sense for the Bills to make this decision now. I wish Frazier would have done it sooner. Dorsey and McDermott are both in the crosshairs.

In terms of players, I could see Hyde taking some heat if the pass d struggles with no Poyer. Everyone will be claiming that Poyer elevated him. The same goes for Milano if there is no Edmunds. Oliver is now getting paid which automatically makes all Bills fans like him less 😂. Anyone on the OL, Cook and WRs not named Diggs are all candidates to have our collective fingers pointed at them. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.