Davis Webb

TheBillsOrDie

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good for him. It’s also wild that guys can just get nfl jobs over guys who have been grinding for years. The best is when he gets a head coaching job for “fixing” a guy who was considered a borderline top 5 qb before last season. 

Those who can't do, teach.  Those who can't teach, worked their way up through someone's coaching tree over 15-20 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, The Wiz said:

Those who can't do, teach.  Those who can't teach, worked their way up through someone's coaching tree over 15-20 years.

I always hated that saying. I know you don’t mean it but always thought it was degrading to teachers haha.

getting off my high horse, I do think the lesser players are better coaches than the stars. I just have friends who grind so hard in coaching but never get their break because they don’t know the right people. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Excerpt from PFT article linked above:

"Wilson has started 189 games in his NFL career. Webb has started one game, the Giants’ meaningless Week 18 game at the end of last season. But Broncos coach Sean Payton apparently thinks the 28-year-old Webb can teach the 34-year-old Wilson about the quarterback position."

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I always hated that saying. I know you don’t mean it but always thought it was degrading to teachers haha.

getting off my high horse, I do think the lesser players are better coaches than the stars. I just have friends who grind so hard in coaching but never get their break because they don’t know the right people. 

My brother and sister are teachers so it's in my blood to take a swing at them every chance I get.

Regarding the coaching part, completely agree.  Everyone jokes about the "old boys club" with the owners but it's just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to coaching.  You have to know someone that knows someone that knows someone just to get an internship in college and hope you can ascend.

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

My brother and sister are teachers so it's in my blood to take a swing at them every chance I get.

Regarding the coaching part, completely agree.  Everyone jokes about the "old boys club" with the owners but it's just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to coaching.  You have to know someone that knows someone that knows someone just to get an internship in college and hope you can ascend.

See Nathaniel Hackett.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This isn’t just about Russ this is one of the best coaches in the league taking the next potential up and coming HC under his wing.  Great spot for him.  

Sean McVay was hired at 30 years old as coach of the Rams.  

I see Webb heading this track as well in 2-3 years especially after serving under Payton.  

Given his history with Allen….nah I’ll just see myself out now.  

15 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Those who can't do, teach.

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

getting off my high horse, I do think the lesser players are better coaches than the stars.

The truth is that in order to teach something, one must be able to do it.

The reason the "lesser" players make better coaches is that top-notch players have a gift - an intuition. They aren't consciously aware of the subtleties that make them better than the rest, so they can't explain them to others. They also don't understand why others don't "get it" the way they do, so they often become impatient. On the other hand, people who are competent at their jobs but not necessarily at a virtuoso level tend to be good teachers because they understand the struggles of the students.

For example, people like to say Jordan Palmer failed as a QB (i.e, he can't "do" so he teaches). But think about it. He DID play QB in the NFL, albeit briefly, which makes him an excellent QB compared to the general population, but not compared to HOF-worthy NFL QBs.  He most certainly CAN do it.

Jimmy Page would probably be a lousy guitar teacher. You're better off taking lessons from a guitarist who plays in a local bar band - still competent, but closer to the student's level than a master like Page.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

The reason the "lesser" players make better coaches is that top-notch players have a gift - an intuition. They aren't consciously aware of the subtleties that make them better than the rest, so they can't explain them to others. They also don't understand why others don't "get it" the way they do, so they often become impatient. On the other hand, people who are competent at their jobs but not necessarily at a virtuoso level tend to be good teachers because they understand the struggles of the students.

For example, people like to say Jordan Palmer failed as a QB (i.e, he can't "do" so he teaches). But think about it. He DID play QB in the NFL, albeit briefly, which makes him an excellent QB compared to the general population, but not compared to HOF-worthy NFL QBs.  He most certainly CAN do it.

Jimmy Page would probably be a lousy guitar teacher. You're better off taking lessons from a guitarist who plays in a local bar band - still competent, but closer to the student's level than a master like Page.

But Jimmy Page took lessons, he'd probably be an excellent teacher... There's a great video of him as a teenager talking about his guitar lessons...But I get your point, well said and Go Bills!

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Webb was effectively an offense assistant when playing for Bills.

In Florida offseason practice he was the one organizing it.

When he was playing for Bills he was doing communicating between coaches and other players and helping on film breakdown.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/04/buffalo-bills-most-interesting-man-backup-qb-davis-webb-may-take-the-cake.html

Webb, 26, the son of a high school coach who has long enjoyed a play sheet and film session just as much as throwing a touchdown pass, has found a way to be an invaluable piece for the Bills. He hasn’t given up on his dream to play quarterback in the NFL but he’s working while he waits.

He has a new goal – to coach. And toward that end he invests hours upon hours watching video, breaking down plays and learning – ever learning – from the Bills staff.

Cal QB Davis Webb Passed Up Coaching Offer to Keep Playing in NFL

Bills wanted to make him their quarterbacks coach, but he signed with Giants instead

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/davis-webb-bypasses-coaching-offer-to-pay

Bills trying to get him as QB a year too early.  

I would assume there was some communication between him and Bills before February 4, 2022, when Joe Brady was hired by the Buffalo Bills as their quarterbacks coach, replacing Ken Dorsey after his promotion to offensive coordinator.

Sean McDermott said he had never been around a player who had added as much value as Webb.

Webb is like to expand on the deep knee bends and lifts that RW thought to be so important…, 

on the other hand, if Webb can resurrect RW he will become a hot commodity for OC the following season…, 😁👍

• 6 months later...

https://www.nfl.com/news/restoring-russell-wilson-broncos-need-28-year-old-quarterback-turned-coach-davis

Good article about Webb.  

It is not clear why the Bills did not hire him in any capacity after spending 3-seasons as Allen's backup.  

The guy has the right mentality...don't be cookie cutter approach..but play to the. strengths of your QB.  

11 minutes ago, ganesh said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/restoring-russell-wilson-broncos-need-28-year-old-quarterback-turned-coach-davis

Good article about Webb.  

It is not clear why the Bills did not hire him in any capacity after spending 3-seasons as Allen's backup.  

The guy has the right mentality...don't be cookie cutter approach..but play to the. strengths of your QB.  

Reportedly the Bills wanted Webb in a coaching capacity, but he still wanted to play, so he turned down the Bills offer and signed with the Giants, IIRC.

• Agree 1

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Reportedly the Bills wanted Webb in a coaching capacity, but he still wanted to play, so he turned down the Bills offer and signed with the Giants, IIRC.

Yeah that was Last year and he ended up starting one game for the Giants.  I am surprised that the Bills did not go after him in March,  when he decided to become a QB coach for the Broncos.  They could have easily offered him the back up QB job over Kyle Allen.

On 2/23/2023 at 9:51 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

I never, ever understood this. Russel was called old and washed up last season… and that season was light years better than anything Davis Webb could even dream of having produced. He’s also 6 years younger than Russ. If you’re Russ, how do you listen to this guy? 

easily, if you are a mature adult. 

someone has to be older than me to provide insights into a task we both know a lot about? Webb can still see things in mechanics, on film with both the offense and defensive looks. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Yeah that was Last year and he ended up starting one game for the Giants.  I am surprised that the Bills did not go after him in March,  when he decided to become a QB coach for the Broncos.  They could have easily offered him the back up QB job over Kyle Allen.

They might have and he refused. 

On 2/23/2023 at 5:10 PM, chongli said:

Excerpt from PFT article linked above:

"Wilson has started 189 games in his NFL career. Webb has started one game, the Giants’ meaningless Week 18 game at the end of last season. But Broncos coach Sean Payton apparently thinks the 28-year-old Webb can teach the 34-year-old Wilson about the quarterback position."

I'm guessing here, but I'd bet a beer that it's No Such Thing.

Isn't Wilson the one who has his own entourage - mental coach, mechanics coach, massage therapist, trainer - and insisted on bringing them into the building?

My guess is that the reason the Broncos went for someone relatively inexperienced is to get someone who won't butt heads with those guys or with Wilson, but who will be high-energy about helping Wilson with anything he wants to do, chopping film up however Wilson wants it chopped, and super tactful with anything he points out instead of lacing it with ego.

Webb would probably fit the needs of that package (see what I did there?  and yeah I know it was Joe)

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/24/2023 at 8:28 AM, WhoTom said:

People do NOT have to be able to do something in order to teach it. Tons of coaches have never played much football, and yet they teach complex schemes and plays to players. Offensive line coaches don't have to be former offensive linemen. Linebackers coaches do not have to be former linebackers.

Knowledge of what you are teaching is required, but it doesn't have to be first hand knowledge. Does it potentially help? Yes. But it is not required.

There are so many examples outside of football too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.