Bills Are On The Clock at 27 (Calling all draft connoisseurs, provocateurs, saboteurs)

Victory Formation

Bills Are On The Clock at 27  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you take?

• Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
    • Jahmmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama
    • Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State
    • Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern
    • Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
    • O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida
    • John Michael Schmitz, OL, Minnesota
    • Michael Mayer, TE, Norte Dame
    • Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah
    • Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
    • Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College
    • Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
    • Jordan Addison, WR, USC
    • Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
    • Other (Please list who and why.)

31 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not to mention the guy pegged to go at 5 may prove to be substantially WORSE than the guy who goes at 27.

Stuff like that happens every year.  "Ranking" is a suggestion.

Didn't know we were on a first name basis with the GM.

Lol my talk to text keeps on screwing up the word beane 

28 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Honest question…

Can somebody please share with me what is so special about JSN?

I watch his highlights and he doesn’t appear overly fast or a twitchy athlete…Often, when he caught the ball, he seemed to be tackled immediately.

Am I missing something?

He is strictly a slot guy at the next level. Very good safe pick if a slot WR is what you are looking for. You are right though inasmuch as some analysts believe he wont be a big plays guy in the pros like he was in college. Simply not fast or explosive enuf for that. A good comparable might be Cole Beasley at his best, which is good.

Jalin Hyatt would lean into what Allen does best.

And here’s the thing as I think about, slot verses outside ability.

JSN is viewed as a slot only.

Zay Flowers is 5’9” - 5’10” and Addison is 5’10” - 5’11”. Can either of those guys profile as an Antonio Brown on the outside?

Addison reads as a slightly more complete WR, a bit taller, with the same speed. 

Josh Downs is a slot only. 

The Bills need both. A outside WR to

challenge Gabe Davis, and someone to take ahold of the slot.

Hyatt played a ton out of the slot in college to allow free vertical release, but could he offer the most versatility on the outside and slot, and allow Diggs slot reps?

Just now, starrymessenger said:

He is strictly a slot guy at the next level. Very good safe pick if a slot WR is what you are looking for. You are right though inasmuch as some analysts believe he wont be a big plays guy in the pros like he was in college. Simply not fast or explosive enuf for that. A good comparable might be Cole Beasley at his best, which is good.

Best comp I’ve seen for him is Amon-ra Saint Brown

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Zay Flowers is 5’9” - 5’10” and Addison is 5’10” - 5’11”. Can either of those guys profile as an Antonio Brown on the outside?

Addison reads as a slightly more complete WR, a bit taller, with the same speed. 

Hyatt played a ton out of the slot in college to allow free vertical release, but could he offer the most versatility on the outside and slot, and allow Diggs slot reps?

Addison is not big. We will see how he runs at the Combine but although he will be sub 4.5 he’s not in Hyatt’s league in that regard. He likely has Diggs speed and like Diggs is a great route runner. He absolutely is a vertical threat on the outside despite his size and he can take the top off a defence operating from the slot in the short and intermediate depths. 

To me Hyatt is a big risk of busting or underperforming relative to where he gets drafted. I wouldn’t touch him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Jordan Addison.  

He has the best ability to be a true WR1 for us down the line, and a top tier WR2 while Diggs is still in his prime. 

Think he’s a home run pick.  

Not interested in slot only guys.  Shakir and Diggs can both slide down to the slot.  

I like Wright if he’s there in RD2, but I can’t quit Spencer Brown … his upside is still too high if he ever figures it out.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I like Jalin Hyatt, but after he runs a 4.28 40, he won’t be available at #27.

Really, if the Bills get any of the top WRs - JSN, Addison, Hyatt, Flowers that would be a win. 

Yeah I'm trying to target the best wr remaining.  Then OL in the next 3 rounds. Addison, Hyatt would be my top 2.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dpberr said:

Went with B. Robinson.  Certainly not a practical pick. 

The game is pivoting back to more rush offense, and you can either draft a star RB or star OL to make the Bills rushing attack better. I opted for the star potential in Robinson.  I'd rather draft the blue chip talent at RB than sign it in FA with a player with more mileage on the body.  

If he is there at 27 he absolutely should be considered depending on the board. You shouldn't pass up a talent like that. He probably would be the BPA by a landslide. I would love the pick. With that said I'd be shocked if there there when Bflo picks. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

If he is there at 27 he absolutely should be considered depending on the board. You shouldn't pass up a talent like that. He probably would be the BPA by a landslide. I would live the pick. With that said I'd be shocked if there there when Bflo picks. 

Can he catch the ball though? That’s my main question. In order to be a three down back, you have to be able to hack it in the passing game.

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I really like what Hyatt brings to the table. You can never underestimate speed either. 

He's a good fit for the Bills. I'd be really surprised if he's there at 27. 

Agree what you said early about his 40 time. That's going to move him up the board substantially. 

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Can he catch the ball though? That’s my main question. In order to be a three down back, you have to be able to hack it in the passing game.

Yes he can pretty much do it all. He's was a good blocker as well. He's being compared to Barkley's skill set. 

A 3 down back for sure. He sticks out like a sore thumb as the best RB in the draft. Many think he's top 5 prospect in the whole draft. 

He would be a steal at 27. My concerns are Dorsey and the oline. Both have to improve in order for Robinson to excell. 

• Like (+1) 1

I chose Robinson.  He’s an elite talent and a 3 down back.  He and Cook would be a sick combo.  Defenses wouldn’t be able to key run or pass.  I only went Robinson because I think the Bills will get a WR in free agency or trade.   And O- line can be gotten in 2nd and/or 3rd.  

In reality, I think the Bills wind up trading out of round one and picking up a 3rd.  Two seconds and two thirds would be exactly what they need.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I notice that Bijan Robinson got quite a few votes. His supporters are silent but they seem to have a strong presence here. I must say, we could do a lot worse than drafting Bijan Robinson at 27. A lot worse.

Bijan would not be a horrible pick but I want to exhaust the better wrs first. If guys like Addison, Hyatt and JSN are gone then so be it.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

I await your analysis of the results...

I feel like @LABILLBACKER said it best. There should be a high quality WR available at 27. If not, I think the Bills should look at Bijan Robinson, or go after a lineman like O’Cyrus Torrence or Broderick Jones if Robinson is not there.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

DISCLAIMER: I simply listed the top 5 players from Bucky Brook’s mock and PFF’s Big Board. If you feel “X” player WILL NOT be available, please do not cast a vote for that player.

NOTE: This is an offensive player only draft and if you want to draft a defensive player, your opinion is void anyhow because I don’t want to hear it.

If your choice isn’t on the list, please say who and a list a few reasons why (so long as that player is not a defensive player, in which point I refer you back to the disclaimer above.)

To those who say that this is too early because Free Agency has not hit, I would argue that it’s important to know where the draft is deep at before we spend money in FA.

If there was an option to trade down/out of the first round for more picks on day 2, that would be my vote. I doubt I'd be the only one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I notice that Bijan Robinson got quite a few votes. His supporters are silent but they seem to have a strong presence here. I must say, we could do a lot worse than drafting Bijan Robinson at 27. A lot worse.

I've been firmly against drafting and paying RBs forever. But, if you get possibly the best player in this draft and the best RB prospect since Barkley at 27, im about it. I see what breece did for the jets offense, and Robinson is better than Hall in every way.

I highly doubt he makes it to 27, I'd be surprised if he gets past lions, cowboys, among others.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I've been firmly against drafting and paying RBs forever. But, if you get possibly the best player in this draft and the best RB prospect since Barkley at 27, im about it. I see what breece did for the jets offense, and Robinson is better than Hall in every way.

I highly doubt he makes it to 27, I'd be surprised if he gets past lions, cowboys, among others.

Jets have a much better Oline than we currently do, Breece Hall would have been a no one behind our line. I think we go undersized rotational DL at 27

Edited by uticaclub
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Those are all good choices, but as far as JSN is concerned, I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think that he could be there. Weirder things have happened. It’s not like your mocking a top 5 talent to be there, although the talent differential between a top 5 player and a top 25-30 player isn’t as linear as some may think. It’s a lot more abstract given time I think.

I think he definitely can be there. He’s a slot type Wr that will more then likely to run 4.55 40 . I’m not trying to take anything away from JSN but how often do we see slot Wrs drafted in the first rd? I realize he put up crazy numbers in 2021 but playing in the slot how often is he facing a NFL caliber CB? Unless he tears down the combine I expect him to be a 2nd rd selection. To many questions for him to be a first rd guy in my opinion and also he’s coming off an injury that sidelined him the majority of last season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

any thoughts on Quentin Johnson?  I have read he is big and fast with strong hands.  Sounds like a great guy opposite Diggs?  

Johnston is arguably the best WR in the draft, I fully expect him to go no later than the mid teens of the draft.

I voted Broderick Jones as he's a great athlete and the Bills seemingly love converting OTs to other positions. If we shift him to LG he could be another Ruben Brown. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Jets have a much better Oline than we currently do, Breece Hall would have been a no one behind our line. I think we go undersized rotational DL at 27

U make it like the Jets line is full of bullies. The Bills Oline do open holes and Hall talent level is on much higher level then anyone we got. Yeah there will be some plays that he gets hit in the bk field for a loss and some plays were he pks up 2 tough yds but there’s also the times we’re he can take it to the house from anywhere. The biggest key to having a excellent bk like Hall is the attention he needs to get from the defense. That’s what people are missing here u can’t play against great RBs with light boxes I don’t care how average his Oline is he will take advantage of the situation. I can’t wait too have a great back on this team imagine the pressure it would put on a defense on 3rd and 5 or less? 

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Johnston is arguably the best WR in the draft, I fully expect him to go no later than the mid teens of the draft.

I voted Broderick Jones as he's a great athlete and the Bills seemingly love converting OTs to other positions. If we shift him to LG he could be another Ruben Brown. 

Sign me up if he’s a Rueben Brown type. 

15 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

DISCLAIMER: I simply listed the top 5 players from Bucky Brook’s mock and PFF’s Big Board. If you feel “X” player WILL NOT be available, please do not cast a vote for that player.

NOTE: This is an offensive player only draft and if you want to draft a defensive player, your opinion is void anyhow because I don’t want to hear it.

If your choice isn’t on the list, please say who and a list a few reasons why (so long as that player is not a defensive player, in which point I refer you back to the disclaimer above.)

To those who say that this is too early because Free Agency has not hit, I would argue that it’s important to know where the draft is deep at before we spend money in FA.

If it’s offense only give me Bijan . U can never have enough difference making talent and he is a difference maker! If he’s not there give me one of the Olinemen . The Wrs in this draft are not first rd caliber in my opinion so I would stay away from that position. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

any thoughts on Quentin Johnson?  I have read he is big and fast with strong hands.  Sounds like a great guy opposite Diggs?  

I admittedly haven't watched much film on the draft guys this year outside of some highlights and whatever games I watched live. My understanding of Quentin Johnson from reading a decent amount and seeing some is that he's a lot like Chase Claypool from the sense that he's a mammoth human being that plays like he's 5'9". A lot of catches with his body/really struggles to high-point the ball but once you get the ball in his hands, he's really difficult to bring down. I put together a small table of some basic stats and metrics on the WR class and Quentin is near the top in both ADoT and YAC which is a pretty impressive combo.

NFLWRs.png

Edited by DCOrange
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I get a feeling Beane will opt for someone to protect Allen. I also think he will fall in love with the versatility and experience of John Michael Schmitz. 

Is he related to John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmitz? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.