Bills Are On The Clock at 27 (Calling all draft connoisseurs, provocateurs, saboteurs)

Victory Formation

Bills Are On The Clock at 27  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you take?

• Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
    • Jahmmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama
    • Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State
    • Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern
    • Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
    • O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida
    • John Michael Schmitz, OL, Minnesota
    • Michael Mayer, TE, Norte Dame
    • Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah
    • Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
    • Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College
    • Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
    • Jordan Addison, WR, USC
    • Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
    • Other (Please list who and why.)

DISCLAIMER: I simply listed the top 5 players from Bucky Brook’s mock and PFF’s Big Board. If you feel “X” player WILL NOT be available, please do not cast a vote for that player.

NOTE: This is an offensive player only draft and if you want to draft a defensive player, your opinion is void anyhow because I don’t want to hear it.

If your choice isn’t on the list, please say who and a list a few reasons why (so long as that player is not a defensive player, in which point I refer you back to the disclaimer above.)

To those who say that this is too early because Free Agency has not hit, I would argue that it’s important to know where the draft is deep at before we spend money in FA.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

I don’t know who will be there, so by this list I chose JSN even though he likely won’t be there.

Was tempted to pick Torrence though, and that might be the better pick with how many good WRs are options on this poll.

If we could somehow snag Torrence at 27 and then Flowers in the second round, then I would see that as a big win.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I don’t know who will be there, so by this list I chose JSN even though he likely won’t be there.

Was tempted to pick Torrence though, and that might be the better pick with how many good WRs are options on this poll.

If we could somehow snag Torrence at 27 and then Flowers in the second round, then I would see that as a big win.

Those are all good choices, but as far as JSN is concerned, I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think that he could be there. Weirder things have happened. It’s not like your mocking a top 5 talent to be there, although the talent differential between a top 5 player and a top 25-30 player isn’t as linear as some may think. It’s a lot more abstract given time I think.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Torrence is the # 1 IOL in the minds of many analysts, and some would say it's not even close. He's a road grader in the run game and he did not allow a single sack in college. He's been mocked to the Bills but there may be a suitability issue in that though he anchors well in pass pro and has quick, agile feet for a man weighing 340 pounds, there isn't much there in the way of lateral mobility. Depending upon what exactly Kromer wants to do, Steve Avila, who could just be there in the second for us might actually be a better choice. Also Torrence is a guy who really needs to watch his weight. Rumour has it he's weighed as much as 400 pounds. And premium guards can bust. Greg Robinson who went maybe second overall and was felt to be a generational talent busted completely in large measure because he could not transition to the pro game. Coming from a college spread offense he couldn't play out of the typical pro set three point stance. Torrence played in a spread offence. Whoever drafts him better make sure he can do what GR could not.

• Like (+1) 4

Went with B. Robinson.  Certainly not a practical pick. 

The game is pivoting back to more rush offense, and you can either draft a star RB or star OL to make the Bills rushing attack better. I opted for the star potential in Robinson.  I'd rather draft the blue chip talent at RB than sign it in FA with a player with more mileage on the body.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

21 hours ago, The Wiz said:

You didn't list any defensive players so I'm going to abstain from the vote.

Yes, we really do need another first round defensive back. That would really help Josh out and the Bills have proven this to be a golden road to winning Super Bowls.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Torrence is the # 1 IOL in the minds of many analysts, and some would say it's not even close. He's a road grader in the run game and he did not allow a single sack in college. He's been mocked to the Bills but there may be a suitability issue in that though he anchors well in pass pro and has quick, agile feet for a man weighing 340 pounds, there isn't much there in the way of lateral mobility. Depending upon what exactly Kromer wants to do, Steve Avila, who could just be there in the second for us might actually be a better choice. Also Torrence is a guy who really needs to watch his weight. Rumour has it he's weighed as much as 400 pounds. And premium guards can bust. Greg Robinson who went maybe second overall and was felt to be a generational talent busted completely in large measure because he could not transition to the pro game. Coming from a college spread offense he couldn't play out of the typical pro set three point stance. Torrence played in a spread offence. Whoever drafts him better make sure he can do what GR could not.

Torrence is not a fit here IMO. I'd be shocked if the Bills picked him and would be yet more disjointed thinking on the oline.

I voted for Addison. I think he's by far the best WR in this class for the Bills and a legit first round value. He could come in and immediately take the WR 2 role. A couple of years down the road he could grow into a # 1. 
Most of the WR in this class are pure slot guys, like JSN. I think Shakir is our slot guy going forward, and he will be a good one. Addison played 75% of his snaps at USC on the outside. That will come down in the pros but he remains a vertical threat. Among the few big bodied WRs, QJ won't be there imo (if he was I might take him because of his crazy high ceiling) or are of uncertain rd 1 value. Everybody's favourite vertical threat, Jalen Hyatt, might be there, but he is a very risky pick. Ran only three or four routes in college, all vertical, skinny post, go, wheel route, and was schemed up for a free release all day long in the Vols O. That's not happening in the pros where he will be pressed and jammed by physical DBs. I wouldn't draft him. Addison is high value and a very safe pick.

Dont know how needs will be prioritized in the Bills draft but if we don't go WR early there are, like the running backs, some good ones who may fall out of rds 1 or 2.  I think Marvin Mims could be there in the third or maybe the Bama monster.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Those are all good choices, but as far as JSN is concerned, I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think that he could be there. Weirder things have happened. It’s not like your mocking a top 5 talent to be there, although the talent differential between a top 5 player and a top 25-30 player isn’t as linear as some may think. It’s a lot more abstract given time I think.

Agreed, and although I think the likeliest scenario JSN becomes a Bill is from a Beane trade up. Maybe he falls due to the injury. 

Edit: I want to add I think the value of having a top WR cost controlled for 5 years is not lost on Beane. Then again, he could go back to the well and trade our 1st for an already established vet WR. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

43 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Went with B. Robinson.  Certainly not a practical pick. 

The game is pivoting back to more rush offense, and you can either draft a star RB or star OL to make the Bills rushing attack better. I opted for the star potential in Robinson.  I'd rather draft the blue chip talent at RB than sign it in FA with a player with more mileage on the body.  

Hard to argue too much against this pick, because imo it would be a good one. Thing is though this is a strong draft at the RB position and so the Bills might be better served picking one later in the draft, maybe rounds four or five. There are some good big possibly three down between the tackles backs with speed that could be available and who could complement Cook well.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I disagree that Torrence is the # 1 IOL in the draft. I believe that Skoronski is a Guard in the NFL and would be an excellent fit as a Bill as a Guard. 

I think from a fit standpoint at WR I’d go with Jalin Hyatt. The Bills need a burner opposite of Davis. I’d like to see Diggs moved into the slot especially as he ages to maximize his time left. I also think Diggs going in the slot will help Allen get back to throwing the short to intermediate passes that this team lost. Not sure I’d take Hyatt at 27 but wouldn’t get frustrated by it 

12 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

How do you feel about Steve Avila? Has guard/centre versatility. Good in pass pro. Mobile and quick.

Not watched much of him yet. Wouldn't like to pin myself to a view. He wasn't on my initial IOL list (just an omission on ny part) so need to get around to him.

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

I disagree that Torrence is the # 1 IOL in the draft. I believe that Skoronski is a Guard in the NFL and would be an excellent fit as a Bill as a Guard. 

I think from a fit standpoint at WR I’d go with Jalin Hyatt. The Bills need a burner opposite of Davis. I’d like to see Diggs moved into the slot especially as he ages to maximize his time left. I also think Diggs going in the slot will help Allen get back to throwing the short to intermediate passes that this team lost. Not sure I’d take Hyatt at 27 but wouldn’t get frustrated by it 

I think Hyatt is at high risk of busting. I would not draft him.

• Like (+1) 1

My guess is a trade back to the early 2nd, looking at someone alike Avila or Schmitz. Avila has played both G and C, and Schmitz fits the McDermott personality/character prototype. Both would be welcome additions to the line and would be day 1 starters.

If Flowers somehow falls to 27 it’s hard to pass on him. There’s still good G/C depth in the day 2 and 3 picks, but WR gets scarce after round 2 in my opinion. That being said, if we keep Josh standing he’s gonna make stars out of whoever he throws to, so WR is a need but not as much as IOL

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 2

I chose Other.

I've selected Antonio Johnson, Safety out of Texas A&M.  Why? Aside from being an Aggies fan we need a new playmaker and presence out there. Poyer will be gone, Hyde returning from surgery, not sure on Hamlin.

Edited by Kaenon
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Agree with all of this post (wouldn't be against Hyatt at #27 although wouldn't be my ideal choice). 

But particularly agree with the bolded. Skoronski reminds me of Zack Martin. A college tackle with a great combination of power and technique but less than ideal length to play outside in the NFL who could be a multiple all pro at guard and therefore is the rare interior player you can justify a 1st on.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Agree with Skoronski projecting as a guard (with I would assume some tackle and center versatility) and would be an excellent pick. As a pretty much day one starter and maybe the first o-line off the board I wonder whether he will be there at 27. I know he has been mocked as late as the early second.

Edited by starrymessenger

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes, we really do need another first round defensive back. That would really help Josh out and the Bills have proven this to be a golden road to winning Superbowls.

I know we don't.  You commented before I edited my post.  

Anything on defense is probably going to be a waste but I think it will still happen.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I went with Addison; just think he's the best of all those WRs. Was tempted by the OLine guys as well.

I kind of feel like Addison and JSN will be gone although I admit that there is a reasonable chance that they’re there.

I went with Jalin Hyatt. I love Flowers too but he is undersized and that worries me. Could be the next Tyreke Hill or he could be a total bust. Hyatt has nice size and elite speed and wonderful production last year. Ultimately though I’d roll the dice on either.

I picked Bijan Robinson but I don’t expect him to be on the board when we pick at 27

My very next pic if we were lucky enough to get Robinson would be a lineman that can both run block and passprotect well

In my real world scenario, Bijan Robinson is not on the board and we take the best available lineman

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

Yup, or it’ll be a safety or an undersized LB, you watch.

So Brandon has literally done that one time since he has been here the rest of those first round picks have all been athletic freaks with the correct size weight combo

I don’t think it’s a trend that Brandon takes small players

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Would you be willing to consider a DT shaped defensive end who is primed to go on a 5 year body reshaping program? 

or maybe there is a future HoFer another team can use the bills pick to draft. 

I’m open to that, yes.

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Not to mention the guy pegged to go at 5 may prove to be substantially WORSE than the guy who goes at 27.

Stuff like that happens every year.  "Ranking" is a suggestion.

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So Brandon has literally done that one time since he has been here the rest of those first round picks have all been athletic freaks with the correct size weight combo

I don’t think it’s a trend that Brandon takes small players

Didn't know we were on a first name basis with the GM.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.