Matt Araiza, The Punt God, Signs With Team in Mexico

ChevyVanMiller

• ChevyVanMiller changed the title to Matt Araiza, The Punt God Signs With Team in Mexico
  • ChevyVanMiller changed the title to Matt Araiza, The Punt God, Signs With Team in Mexico

Maybe it’s just me, but if he’s never criminally charged or held liable in civil court, he’s going to get another chance in the league. You just know someone will do it. He’s too talented. If he truly is innocent (which I'm still pretty skeptical he did absolutely nothing wrong at this point) then he’d be worth bringing back. We are currently punter-less and we did burn a pick on him. I wonder if he holds a grudge against the Bills, but even he has to understand he put the team in an impossible position just before the start of the season. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

Maybe it’s just me, but if he’s never criminally charged or held liable in civil court, he’s going to get another chance in the league. You just know someone will do it. He’s too talented. If he truly is innocent (which I'm still pretty skeptical he did absolutely nothing wrong at this point) then he’d be worth bringing back. We are currently punter-less and we did burn a pick on him. I wonder if he holds a grudge against the Bills, but even he has to understand he put the team in an impossible position just before the start of the season. 

browns-browns-win.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

We'll see what happens with his legal stuff. We have a good punter now, luckily, so if he gets another shot in the NFL is will probably be with a different team.

Nothing really to see with his legal stuff. Despite all that was alleged, and all the pressure put on that DA’s office, they couldn’t even charge the guy in good faith. The investigation exposed the plaintiff as a liar. I believe Matt was doing nothing but average college jock stuff and ended up in a very unfortunate situation. I really hope he gets another crack at it. Not sure if it’ll be with us cause end of the day, optics matter. Glad to see he’s back to doing what he loves.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

We'll see what happens with his legal stuff. We have a good punter now, luckily, so if he gets another shot in the NFL is will probably be with a different team.

Martin is a free agent.  I'm not sure what his asking price is but Araiza could be an interesting plan B if Beane thinks he's not worth the investment.

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

Nothing really to see with his legal stuff. Despite all that was alleged, and all the pressure put on that DA’s office, they couldn’t even charge the guy in good faith. The investigation exposed the plaintiff as a liar. I believe Matt was doing nothing but average college jock stuff and ended up in a very unfortunate situation. I really hope he gets another crack at it. Not sure if it’ll be with us cause end of the day, optics matter. Glad to see he’s back to doing what he loves.

They proved that?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

If true she cost him his job and reputation, and a counter suit seems to be in order.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Martin is a free agent.  I'm not sure what his asking price is but Araiza could be an interesting plan B if Beane thinks he's not worth the investment.

Martin was excellent. It would be a real shame if he walked.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

I’m not sure this applies to a punter. A QB? Absolutely. A WR? Probably. But a punter? The difference in average punt by 5 yards probably isn’t enough to move the needle in favor of signing someone who is going to come with a ton of negative publicity. 

10 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m not sure this applies to a punter. A QB? Absolutely. A WR? Probably. But a punter? The difference in average punt by 5 yards probably isn’t enough to move the needle in favor of signing someone who is going to come with a ton of negative publicity. 

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I don't think it moves the needle in either direction. There could be some negative pub at the start, but would that have any noticeable affect on the Bills as a whole? Doubt it. If he is never found guilty and the civil case gets resolved, not many people are going to care.

15 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

He won't ever punt in the NFL again.  Heard through the grape vine, he has a substantial lawsuit about to be brought against the Bills and the NFL.  He about to be highest paid punter.

Which will promptly be laughed at and thrown out of court.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

Blank Stare, it was definitely a scummy situation by him and a crime if the young woman and her attorneys are to be believed. 

HOWEVER, everything we saw in the lead up to him being cut.  Everything made it seem like that at the very least this guy was getting charged with something.

Crazy that he wasn't.

A friend of mine stated the obvious, "well it is tough to prove," and I don't disagree.

...but man, the guy didn't even get charged. 

What does that say about either what we were told, who was telling it, and how the guy was deemed guilty before even getting out of the gate?

What was definitely on him is that something was up and he knew about it at the time of the draft and should he should have been forward about it with teams (I believe...I could be wrong, that a continuing investigation was taking place...please correct me if I am wrong).

Did the Bills know?  Should they have known?

Man...

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Which will promptly be laughed at and thrown out of court.  

Wow, this is one of the worst posts I have ever seen on this forum.  He will win whatever lawsuit he files.  Not only was he a union employee, the Bills cut the guy he was competing with and then proceed to cut Araiza only after he was wrongfully accused of a crime.  He should have been suspended and placed on the commission exempt list while the process played out.  There are countless other situations within NFL where that was what happened.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Wow, this is one of the worst posts I have ever seen on this forum.  He will win whatever lawsuit he files.  Not only was he a union employee, the Bills cut the guy he was competing with and then proceed to cut Araiza only after he was wrongfully accused of a crime.  He should have been suspended and placed on the commission exempt list while the process played out.  There are countless other situations within NFL where that was what happened.

Theres also countless situations where a team cut a bottom of the roster player after he was accused of a DUI for example, or simple battery. The Bills will win that suit easily.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Why?

What would the lawsuit be for?  That the Bills chose not to keep him on their roster because he had serious legal issues to deal with and the Bills didn't need the distractions nor having to find a punter at the last minute if he was arrested?

20 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The Bills can cut whoever they want for any reason. Cutting someone due to having legal issues and not wanting a player who was distracted with that and facing the potential of going to jail and forcing them to find a punter last second is plenty of enough reason to cut someone.  

Nobody has a right to be on a team, there is this thing called At Will Employment that exists.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Where did you read that Araiza was wrongfully accused?   There is a difference between the DA deciding that they can't win a case and being wrongfully accused.    

11 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

There are some at this forum that will argue being drafted by Brendan Beane is grounds for a civil lawsuit. 🤨

People who have zero understanding of how employment law works.

49 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Blank Stare, it was definitely a scummy situation by him and a crime if the young woman and her attorneys are to be believed. 

HOWEVER, everything we saw in the lead up to him being cut.  Everything made it seem like that at the very least this guy was getting charged with something.

Crazy that he wasn't.

A friend of mine stated the obvious, "well it is tough to prove," and I don't disagree.

...but man, the guy didn't even get charged. 

What does that say about either what we were told, who was telling it, and how the guy was deemed guilty before even getting out of the gate?

What was definitely on him is that something was up and he knew about it at the time of the draft and should he should have been forward about it with teams (I believe...I could be wrong, that a continuing investigation was taking place...please correct me if I am wrong).

Did the Bills know?  Should they have known?

Man...

As soon as the girl was caught on video saying she was "planning to increase her body count by more than one that night" prosecutors had nothing to work on.  She would have been eviscerated on cross examination by the defense.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.