Rihanna-A boring halftime performance

Billsfan1972

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Shocker this board didn’t like the halftime show.  Every year, this board of old wet blankets starts all these threads about hating the halftime show even when it’s mostly regarded as great.  

I feel like the only halftime show that would get any positive threads here would be some old timer artist or band.  Anything other than that and this board revolts lol.

Last years halftime show won an Emmy, board still hated it lol.  

Doesn't mean anything.

There are a lot of shows and people who win awards when they don't deserve them.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Shocker this board didn’t like the halftime show.  Every year, this board of old wet blankets starts all these threads about hating the halftime show even when it’s mostly regarded as great.  

I feel like the only halftime show that would get any positive threads here would be some old timer artist or band.  Anything other than that and this board revolts lol.

Last years halftime show won an Emmy, board still hated it lol.  

Read the OP.  I like her songs and was looking forward to seeing it (as I do most).  It came off flat after what looked like a cool start and went nowhere.   

But you are right about how most people react.  Everyone here wants AC/DC or Aerosmith.

Last year was very good.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Read the OP.  I like her songs and was looking forward to seeing it (as I do most).  It came off flat after what looked like a cool start and went nowhere.   

But you are right about how most people react.  Everyone here wants AC/DC or Aerosmith.

Last year was very good.

yea, I feel like if you count out the “it must be rock and roll” guys that are mad about not being the target market… 

last year was pretty well received and this year was kind of flat. 

staging- actually very cool

choreography - she was obviously a statue but even the dancers were just ok/fine

costuming/wardrobe- meh. 

interesting musical twists or collabs? Nope. If ever there was an artist to shine here, one known for collabs and physically limited could do cool stuff here but… ye went crazy, and jayz is probably off limits for Apple Music presents… and…  

this year I think the irrational pushback is more from the “it’s cool and y’all are just old” crowd. They literally set the stage for something cool but ended up just ok.

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I thought it was well done, the floating stages were cool and she had a calm confidence up there. I understood the message portrayed by the imagery. I've never been a fan of hers or the music, but I liked watching it.

I mean, calm confidence is something but feels like trying to shoehorn reasons to support that it was a noteworthy performance on the biggest stage on earth. 

it was fine. She is talented. Last night did not feel like the best of what you’d expect from her. 

42 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

https://nz.finance.yahoo.com/news/rihanna-did-not-paid-jaw-162139161.html

the show is a huge free Ad for the artist.  

Obviously, but the NFL has their pick of artists willing to perform for free, I would assume. Although "free" doesn't mean cost-free. Who pays for the lavish production? I assume the league does.

6 minutes ago, Airseven said:

U2 was the best ever, in part because of circumstance. Michael Jackson and Madonna were also great.

Prince was amazing too.

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

choreography - she was obviously a statue but even the dancers were just ok/fine

Being on floating stages suspended by wires might have played a part.

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Obviously, but the NFL has their pick of artists willing to perform for free, I would assume. Although "free" doesn't mean cost-free. Who pays for the lavish production? I assume the league does.

Prince was amazing too.

Being on floating stages suspended by wires might have played a part.

for sure- but even on the ground are you arguing it was a particularly impressive choreography? 

ultimately, I see the loudest supporters celebrating her idgaf attitude and I guess that just doesn’t thrill me as the halftime show performer. I in fact enjoy that people gaf in a moment like that 

30 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I mean, calm confidence is something but feels like trying to shoehorn reasons to support that it was a noteworthy performance on the biggest stage on earth. 

it was fine. She is talented. Last night did not feel like the best of what you’d expect from her. 

Yeah, maybe. I don't care either way, but I wouldn't call it a bad or boring performance.

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Adele refused a few years back, at her peak.

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/nfl/superbowl/super-bowl-halftime-show-performer-salary/507-f6f58ea2-2cf0-4e19-9e39-8431579f8900

They get paid basically nothing.

"But it may surprise you to know that despite all the extravaganza and hefty price tag to operate the halftime show, the NFL ends up paying the singers and headline performers nothing."

If I recall correctly, The Weeknd dumped something like $7 million of his own money into the show!

Confirmed From article above:

Sometimes, performers even help cover some the production costs. Last year, The Weeknd said he dropped $7 million of his own money, and although the NFL has not confirmed the total price tag, Forbes estimates the show could have costed as much as $20 million.

The offset is massive upswings in downloads and other sales the performer get from the hype and performing on the largest televised stage in the USA.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

OMG, I thought The Who were a terrible half time show. I like all the artists from 2005-2010, but I didn't like most of them as half time shows at all. Except for Prince, that was awesome!

I am not a huge Rihanna fan in general. I liker her genre, and I actually do think a bunch of her songs bops. But I saw too many videos of her botched vocals to be a fan of her talent or lack there of. I just think she is a benefactor of the Jay-Z machine, who I do really love!

I  don't love The Weekend either. It just all feels like he is forcing me to sit passenger in some weird heroin trip he is on. Other than that I think the NFL has gotten a lot of the halftime shows right recently. Last years show was phenomenal! 

Im not the biggest Rihanna fan either even though I have touched her boob haha.  It was at Coachella when her security was propping her up and carrying her out of the VIP area of Kendrick Lamar where I was watching Kendrick.  She was destroyed and as her security team propped her up (one on each arm) and pushed passed me her boob hit me in my upper arm as they pushed their way through the crowd 5 min into Kendricks set to get her out.  She was just saying as her head bobbed all over the place "Take picture b***hes, take pictures" to everyone in the crowd lol.  She was a mess.  That was like 5 or 6 years ago.  

But I thought she did a great job at the SB, the visuals and the floating stage were great and was a cool way to show off her baby bump.  I thought she did great considering not being on stage since 2018 after starting a family.  And I have definitely seen a lot worse shows than hers at the SB.  

I also do not like the Weekend much...Ive been to at least 10 coachellas and two of the absolute most boring performances I saw amongst the headliners were easily The Weekend (first Coachella performance) and also Drake.  Both were so lame.  Ice Cube, AD/DC, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Pharrel, Run the Jewels, etc (just to name a few) all were exceptional at Coachella.  I like most every kind of music except Country.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

if last years super bowl show was so fantastic what was it?  Do you remember it without looking it up?

Do I remember?  LOL...I have watched it dozens of times since lol.  Dr. Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar and one of my all time faves that doesn't get enough love...Mary J. Blige.  I live in LA, I have been a big fan of every artist that hit that stage last year.  They represent the greatness of hip hop unlike a lot of the garbage being put out today in rap music.  For example, the Grammy's 50th anniversary of the birth of hip hop tribute this year was a stark reminder to the golden years of hip hop and how the new generation of rap falls short in comparison.  

I am not just a fan of hip hop though (a lot of rap these days absolutely blows by the way).  love all kinds of music, even classic rock, hard rock, etc.  Just not a fan of Country.  

My absolute favorite band right now is St. Paul and the Broken Bones, even got married to one of their songs.  Paul Janeway may be the best male vocalist in all of music and their live show is one of the best I have even seen and I have seen them several times now.  

15 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I like her and fine when her songs come on the radio, but boy was that a nondescript halftime show.

Then I go online and everyone's saying how wonderful it was.

Am I missing something?

I agree thought it was horrible, tf was evening going on. The songs were not mixed together very well either. And no one I was with thought it was that good either. 

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not the biggest Rihanna fan either even though I have touched her boob haha.  It was at Coachella when her security was propping her up and carrying her out of the VIP area of Kendrick Lamar where I was watching Kendrick.  She was destroyed and as her security team propped her up (one on each arm) and pushed passed me her boob hit me in my upper arm as they pushed their way through the crowd 5 min into Kendricks set to get her out.  She was just saying as her head bobbed all over the place "Take picture b***hes, take pictures" to everyone in the crowd lol.  She was a mess.  That was like 5 or 6 years ago.  

But I thought she did a great job at the SB, the visuals and the floating stage were great and was a cool way to show off her baby bump.  I thought she did great considering not being on stage since 2018 after starting a family.  And I have definitely seen a lot worse shows than hers at the SB.  

I also do not like the Weekend much...Ive been to at least 10 coachellas and two of the absolute most boring performances I saw amongst the headliners were easily The Weekend (first Coachella performance) and also Drake.  Both were so lame.  Ice Cube, AD/DC, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Pharrel, Run the Jewels, etc (just to name a few) all were exceptional at Coachella.  I like most every kind of music except Country.

I think you may have also nailed something here with “great considering she has not been on stage since 2018” and not “that was great I can’t believe she’s been off tour 5 years and out of the studio 7”

she’s talented. She’s got a catalogue. That wasn’t the coolest performance of her career. It wont be as iconic for her as it could’ve been. It wasn’t a trainwreck or anything though.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought Rihanna did OK.  Clean look.  Show looked well-rehearsed.  Besides Prince and Bruce, I've never expected a top-level musical performance.  I expect more of a visual show than a memorable musical performance.

Commercials had a bit of the usual "try hard" vibe.  Biggest objective there is not to offend anybody.  Gone are the days of whimsical humor and pretty women.  I miss you Spuds!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWAFOPntWYc&t=1s

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I for one actually always am for the most part interested in the halftime show (may change if a Country act, though maybe Blake Shelton or Keith Urban could work) and the spectacle, but as said yesterdays was one of the worst I thought.  

I don’t think we’ll see a country or rock act ever again for the SB halftime show.

51 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Do I remember?  LOL...I have watched it dozens of times since lol.  Dr. Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar and one of my all time faves that doesn't get enough love...Mary J. Blige.  I live in LA, I have been a big fan of every artist that hit that stage last year.  They represent the greatness of hip hop unlike a lot of the garbage being put out today in rap music.  For example, the Grammy's 50th anniversary of the birth of hip hop tribute this year was a stark reminder to the golden years of hip hop and how the new generation of rap falls short in comparison.  

I am not just a fan of hip hop though (a lot of rap these days absolutely blows by the way).  love all kinds of music, even classic rock, hard rock, etc.  Just not a fan of Country.  

My absolute favorite band right now is St. Paul and the Broken Bones, even got married to one of their songs.  Paul Janeway may be the best male vocalist in all of music and their live show is one of the best I have even seen and I have seen them several times now.  

A simple yes would have sufficed.  Glad you enjoyed it so much.

• Haha (+1) 1

Did they book Rihanna NOT knowing she is pregnant? I had no problem with the halftime show. Not really my thing, but my daughter loves her (tried to make her an indie girl and failed miserably), so it was what it was. But it wasn’t what she (or I) would’ve expected of a Rihanna performance. Nobody paid to see it, but if they had it would’ve been kind of false advertising. The kids love the dancing, the wardrobe changes, all that glitz. This was like Rihanna in an oversized red jumpsuit surround by Squid Game type unenergetic dancers. 

• Like (+1) 1

I assume they decided they wanted a "stripped down" type of show and let Rihanna be the singular focus. But I dunno if the Super Bowl is the spot for that kind of show. People expect theatrics from the halftime show. I understand she's pregnant so clearly she's not going to be doing backflips off the stage. And as I understood it they wanted the pregnancy reveal to be the big takeaway moment. 

All that said, I mean, dang, we couldn't get some cool lights? A laser show? Drones creating fun imagery above the stadium? Some stunts? Maybe some pyro aside from the few fireworks they did outside the stadium? Maybe even a wardrobe change? Speaking of wardrobe, the decision to have all the dancers look like hyperactive little spermies in sunglasses sure was an interesting one. The dance choreography was also quite peculiar. 

I like a good handful of her tunes so the music was fine it just was real bland in terms of show. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I don’t think we’ll see a country or rock act ever again for the SB halftime show.

Next year, I'd like to see them go back to the 90s performance art/theatre shows with a rat-packed dedication to old Vegas. Won't happen. Probably be Adele since she's there for a residency anyway.

19 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I like her and fine when her songs come on the radio, but boy was that a nondescript halftime show.

Am I missing something?

It was like nails going down a black board to me… she had no band playing and  they were piping the music through the speakers…. Looked like a phony act to me…. Would have rather seen Def Leppard or something….

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

They should try a non-music halftime show.  I think the music acts are tired.  

1. Magician

2. Comedy

3....Mime (always a hit)

4. NFL makes a 15 minute film like BMW Films has done with "The Hire" series

5. Airshow

The best would be for a daredevil to do some type of motorcycle jump or something like that.

You'd have to be able to set it up quickly, which could be a problem, but I'd be all over that! 

evel-knievel-stunt-cycle.gif

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Am I missing something?

What has been your favorite Rhianna live performance so far?!

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

What has been your favorite Rhianna live performance so far?!

The point of the show is that 90% of those watching the show have never seen these performers live so it is about the performance and putting.on a show.  The chores and whole look was boring.

However listening to these entertainment shows all are fawning.  

Ot was very boring and I'm fine with her music.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.