Rihanna-A boring halftime performance

Billsfan1972

51 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The hardcore football is watching the game. It’s for my girlfriend and fringe fans who like her and popular music(believe it or not, there are people out there who don’t like classic rock music).  Guess what they loved that performance. And apparently, she has bigger numbers than the SB.

but I’m sure next time the nfl will consult the grumpy old men club of TBD. 👴 

You know it sucked as well as I do. Terrible lip syncing,  no guest stars and albino oompa loompas. Why bother dying on this particular hill of opinion?

• Like (+1) 1

Thought it was overall a really good performance and show. Nice to see a halftime show that largely relied on good ol’ dance choreography. The moves were great.

The stages in the air were unique. Any conversation about the show in the context of her pregnancy has to include discussion of simultaneously being the first ever halftime performer (I think but have not researched to confirm) to sing as high in the air as she was on a suspended stage and being pregnant. That’s groundbreaking and impressive. 

Cons are: yes another well-known musician making an appearance woulda been cool (was hoping Santana when they started the Maria Maria sample) and I did think she lacked a little energy, but looking back that was probably due to being pregnant. She still crushed her singing and dancing. 

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Considering she didn’t sing (it was lip sync), i’d hope she crushed the dancing!

We literally watched someone float around and mouth words into a microphone that wasn’t on.

I'd, guess she was (occasionally) singing over a backing track.  Happens all the times at big events 🤷‍♂️

And, fwiw, read this in an article:  "In line with NFL policy, halftime performers’ rehearsals are prerecorded live, so they can sing over it as much or as little as they like as a musical safety net."  Again, 🤷‍♂️

:beer: 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

I'd, guess she was (occasionally) singing over a backing track.  Happens all the times at big events 🤷‍♂️

And, fwiw, read this in an article:  "In line with NFL policy, halftime performers’ rehearsals are prerecorded live, so they can sing over it as much or as little as they like as a musical safety net."  Again, 🤷‍♂️

:beer: 

Reminds me of when Red Hot Chili Peppers didn’t even plug their guitars in. They said they didn’t want to deceive people. Hilarious.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The hardcore football is watching the game. It’s for my girlfriend and fringe fans who like her and popular music(believe it or not, there are people out there who don’t like classic rock music).  Guess what they loved that performance. And apparently, she has bigger numbers than the SB.

but I’m sure next time the nfl will consult the grumpy old men club of TBD. 👴 

Enjoyed it, but the thought of someone falling, or cable malfunction took some of the enjoyment out of it for me.

Live at the stadium I'm sure it looked spectacular... 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Guess what they loved that performance. And apparently, she has bigger numbers than the SB.

Lots of people watching it doesn’t mean they liked it. Creed sold out the concert that Scott Stapp slurred his words and passed out drunk halfway through the set.

The 2 polls i’ve seen so far indicate a poor reception by fans.

43-F496-FD-F490-4-CAE-808-E-9-F8-C5924-C

264-A7-BA4-5247-42-DA-9387-DEF20486-BBA3

Edited by Einstein

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

Enjoyed it, but the thought of someone falling, or cable malfunction took some of the enjoyment out of it for me.

Had some colleagues there, they said they could really see the platforms moving and shifting IRL and that it was kinda crazy. :beer: 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Proof?

Its been pretty well documented now that for decades ALL of the halftime music/voices for the SB are prerecorded due to there not being enough time to set up AND do sound checks/equipment checks as is normally done before a regular concert. Google it.

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

It didn’t seem odd to you that the lyrics of the song kept playing even when she turned her head or moved away from the microphone? haha.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/13/rihanna-accused-of-lip-syncing-at-super-bowl-halftime-show/amp/

rihanna is no where near the richest woman on the world. not even near the richest "self made" women on the world. maybe she cracks some list of musical artists in the united states...

i am tired of hearing how rich she is... she's jay z's puppet and was handled by the very best.

the only reason she can crack a list is because of her lingerie line which is hardly understable and probably a front for some other nonsense because up until this i have never heard of it.

when it comes to music talent income dolly, celine, madonna, beyonce, and gloria are all above her i would expect when only looking at music. according to lists even taytay and jlo are above her.

18 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Oh, they have a clue all right. My teenage daughter loves Rihanna. Loves her for being a celebrity, for being a queen (not of the drag type) for making tons of money and living her best life. She doesn’t really love her music; I mean, she knows it if it’s on the radio or a Spotify playlist, but doesn’t actively seek it out. She loves the brand. And she couldn’t care less is Rihanna is lip-synching an entire show or if all the music tracks are prerecorded. She probably wouldn’t bother to go see some kind of 1990s “Rihanna unplugged” show with Rihanna sitting on a stool crooning her hits dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt. That wouldn’t be a spectacle. That’s what the kids love. A spectacle.
By the way, she (and her friends) also like other music that she streams - actual songs written by actual songwriters - but unlike my generation it’s not an either/or thing. I wouldn’t be caught dead at her age listening to some pop garbage. My tastes were too “elevated.” Or so I thought. This generation? Not interested in being music snobs. Maybe that’s a good thing. 

This ("artists" being famous for being famous even to an audience that doesn't like nor consume their art) phenomenon is crazy to me.  I thought breaking the old model of narrow channels of distribution (controlled by record companies and whoever) would end up letting smaller and different acts grow and compete and everyone find their audience.  Strangely, while some some artists get big via grass roots promotion, what sells even more than before is celebrity itself.

I just be reactionary (I mean, I am, but I don't think im knee jerking on this one item) but something about that seems pretty terrible to me.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Figster said:

Didnt watch it. Were they not tied off, as in wearing a upper body harness and having a lanyard attached to that harness, and the other end of the lanyard attched to a secure point on the platform? Have seen some pics of the show, but not close up shots. Can't imagine that OSHA rules would have been ignored, but who knows, the NFL is pretty powerful.

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Its been pretty well documented now that for decades ALL of the halftime music/voices for the SB are prerecorded due to there not being enough time to set up AND do sound checks/equipment checks as is normally done before a regular concert. Google it.

(I’m good on Googling it, thanks. Feel free to provide a link though.) 

So it’s a non-issue in the context grading halftime performance. 

Unless someone wants to use this as an excuse to hate on every halftime show…

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Thats a great idea!

I haven't watched a halftime show in 20 years...regardless of which genre of music.  I like concerts and music....I just don't like the Super Bowl halftime show.

If they switched it up to something amazing like Cirque or danger acts like tight rope walking across the stadium and some dude jumping from a 100 foot pole into a shallow pool.  I will watch.  Or even top BMX riders doing amazing flips.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, colin said:

This ("artists" being famous for being famous even to an audience that doesn't like nor consume their art) phenomenon is crazy to me.  I thought breaking the old model of narrow channels of distribution (controlled by record companies and whoever) would end up letting smaller and different acts grow and compete and everyone find their audience.  Strangely, while some some artists get big via grass roots promotion, what sells even more than before is celebrity itself.

I just be reactionary (I mean, I am, but I don't think im knee jerking on this one item) but something about that seems pretty terrible to me.

I don’t disagree with you. I’m just accepting that it’s a generational thing that I will never understand. The Gen Zs are just simply not bothered by a lot of the artistic integrity stuff that seemed to be important to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Didnt watch it. Were they not tied off, as in wearing a upper body harness and having a lanyard attached to that harness, and the other end of the lanyard attched to a secure point on the platform? Have seen some pics of the show, but not close up shots. Can't imagine that OSHA rules would have been ignored, but who knows, the NFL is pretty powerful.

There were no harnesses

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

There were no harnesses

Just googled it, and it directed me to a reddit forum (SafetyProfessionals), and the consensus there is that everybody was indeed using fall protection. Some guy stated that if you look closely, you can see the anchor points very near their ankles.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

It appeared Rihanna was tied off, but looked like some of the backup dancers didn't have a safety harness on to me.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

It’s crazy to me how numerous people can watch the same thing on tv and come away with vastly different interpretations of reality. Rihanna was harnessed. It’s black/white. You could even see during the performance when the harness protection was taken off so she could start moving around. 

It's crazy that it wasn't that noticeable? Apparently they had something around their ankles...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.