Chad Hall leaves for Jags

Dablitzkrieg

7 minutes ago, ElMarko said:

What? Sinking ship... holy crap people on this board are whacked. 

Well, especially that one. That stuff just goes on my “manual ignore” list, for the most part. I’ve asked, but not gotten any answer, regarding the team he actually roots for. Best to just keep moving rather than feed him, I think. 

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

That comment makes me think of Dorsey losing his S in Miami early in the season over McKenzie.  

If we want better YAC then we should focus on the screen game.  

Personally I think the coaching staff is chasing something they wont be able to catch.  I dont think Josh's game sets the wideouts up for success in YAC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Well, if Hall was all that but McDermott wasn't all in, does anyone else wonder why Daboll didn't take him last year?

I also find it interesting that two of the position groups where we had to sit the young guys and get the old guys back in lost their position coaches.

Since there are other coaches not currently under contract this may not be the end of the changes.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Well, if Hall was all that but McDermott wasn't all in, does anyone else wonder why Daboll didn't take him last year?

I also find it interesting that two of the position groups where we had to sit the young guys and get the old guys back in lost their position coaches.

Since there are other coaches not currently under contract this may not be the end of the changes.

I’m interested to see the replacement. Do they go with experience or weak replacement.

I'm assuming Dorsey is going to bring in someone he's more familiar with, I think EPS said something upthread. I assume it's going to be someone not quite so player friendly and it will be the end of McKenzie on this team.

Sorry @Buffalo_Stampede, thought I quoted you.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

4 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

It’s definitely a big consideration. I was at the 2019 draft in Nashville and somehow weaseled VIP tickets, which was same access as players and their family. I had had a few pops and was chatting people up. Turns out I was taking to Christian Wilkins friends and family. I said, hey, good chance he lands in Buffalo tonight. They said, yeah, but he wants to go to Miami. I asked why, and they said all he cares about is making the most money and he would lose a ton of his salary playing in New York. It’s an unspoken that having a good team papers over now, but it’s still a huge disadvantage for us. 

Chad’s sister and her family live in Georgia FWIW. Met them in Nashville ironically too- the MNF game. Great people. 

Well, just have Trump's accountant's do his taxes.

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Probably more $ and tax free state and better opportunity to be next in line OC or assistant OC. Our guys love him, but did our WR's get better under him? Gabe looks bad and McKenzie flopped when given a starting role. Probably good for both sides to move on 

Highest State Taxes:

California 13.3%

Hawaii 11%

New Jersey 10.75%

Oregon 9.9%

Minnesota 9.85%

District of Columbia 8.95%

New York 8.82%

Vermont 8.75%

Iowa 8.53%

Wisconsin 7.65%

Only eight states have no personal income tax:

Wyoming

Washington

Texas

Tennessee

South Dakota

Nevada

Florida

Alaska

3 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

Or NYS could get their tax structure in place to be similar to other states. I mean who wants to be #1 in taxation 

New York city would collapse if we did that.

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

Lateral move to get off a sinking ship perhaps.

Vegas odds makers don't think we're a sinking ship.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Hall, Johnson, Farwell, Teerlinck.

So, four in six years? Doesn't seem like a big deal to me at all.

Hell... the Steelers have had 3 OL coaches leave for lateral moves since 2019. They're considered the poster boys for stability lol 

2019 - Mike Munchak left for the Broncos

2021 - Adrian Klemm left for University of Oregon

2022 - Chris Morgan left for the Bears

I just googled "NFL coach leaves team for same position" and numerous examples came up right away. 

2021 - Commanders VP of Player Personnel Kyle Smtih leaves to take same position with Atlanta Falcons

2022- Giants DC Pat Graham leaves Giants to take same positon with Raiders

2023 - Patriots TE coach Nick Caley leaves to take same position with Rams

2023 - Jaguars WR coach Chris Jackson leaves to take same position with University of Texas 

2023 - Rams OC Liam Cohen leaves to take same position with University of Kentucky

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I listed the 4 I could remember.

WR coach Hall, OL coach Johnson, Special teams Farwell, and DL coach Teerlinck. All left and took same job elsewhere.

What we do NOT know is how many they wanted back. The ST coach was allowed to find his own gig (again in Jax) without the mess of firing him. I thought that was a classy way to handle that. I suspect Hall may be a great guy and well liked in the WR room, but as has been pointed out, he wasn’t doing much with what he had to work with.  (I know, we need to add more talent regardless of who the coach is.) He could have been a great guy who we wanted to move on from for an upgrade.  We have no way of knowing, and I won’t pretend to know. 

35 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m interested to see the replacement. Do they go with experience or weak replacement.

I think we should be hoping they go the weak replacement option. That will just make things more entertaining around here.  😋

Edited by Augie

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I just heard Josh Jacobs interviewed at the SB. Asked which locations he might enjoy outside of Vegas, he listed all the tax free states. That is a very real consideration. Plus, the Jags have a real QB which helps make a WR coach look better. 

EDIT: It may be a “mutual decision” to move on, just like the ST coach who moved to Jax, but the tax thing is real, especially for players who have a limited number of years. 

Jacobs has always gotten that.  He deferred his signing bonus until the team got to Nevada so he didn’t get crushed by California taxes.  The guy is smart.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, jletha said:

Interesting that this is a lateral move. By all accounts he was well liked in Buffalo. I wonder if he wanted out or if we werent overly interested in having him return.

Either way maybe itll be a change for the good since our WR development was lacking last season.

It's a lateral move, but onto a staff that has a better path upwards if he does well there. Also, if someone does well in two places it looks better on his resume than doing well in one place for the same total length of time.

WR development was OK last year. Shakir got significantly better as the season went along, Davis got better, though not as much as we'd have liked.

This isn't good for the Bills, but it's how the world works. They'll adjust and deal.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Bringing back Beasley and Brown late in the season, Shakir not growing in the offense, didn’t see much from crowder in the first 4 games, Hodgins excelling elsewhere… 🤔 

maybe there something there.  Beasley raved about him. I don’t know if everyone did?

Speaking of Beasley, maybe he'd be interested in being a WR coach.

After his rap career is over of course.

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I thought Hall was one of ur best coaches. Hard to tell without being in the building but all indications showed he was legit.

Maybe the way everyone besides 14 performed had something to do with this but I always thought he'd be a future OC and potentially HC 

Yeah. Things can change, of course.

But that's generally how he's thought of right now. A smart guy who looks like he might go a long way.

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Bringing back Beasley and Brown late in the season, Shakir not growing in the offense, didn’t see much from crowder in the first 4 games, Hodgins excelling elsewhere… 🤔 

maybe there something there.  Beasley raved about him. I don’t know if everyone did?

I think other WR liked him.  Diggs went on record he was one of the best coaches he’d ever had.  Emmanuel Sanders said similar.  In 2020 the receiver room bought him a car.  McKenzie gave him an expensive game console like he was a player.

Maybe that last indicates something.  Maybe he was good at coaching the guys who were already sound in their fundamentals, and helping them refine their technique and become better -but not as good at coaching up the new players like Shakir or Hodgins?  

Maybe he became too close to the players and couldn’t “get in their grill” when need be?

I know I saw what I’m pretty sure were route running mistakes at a number of critical times, and I wondered about the coaching.  

So I don’t know how I feel about this.

1 hour ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Sounds like Hall wanted to move on.

Just a note that at the end of January, Hall was interviewing for the Ravens OC position

”He wants something more” doesn’t jive with making a lateral move.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's a lateral move, but onto a staff that has a better path upwards if he does well there. Also, if someone does well in two places it looks better on his resume than doing well in one place for the same total length of time.

WR development was OK last year. Shakir got significantly better as the season went along, Davis got better, though not as much as we'd have liked.

This isn't good for the Bills, but it's how the world works. They'll adjust and deal.

I don’t think Davis got better.

I don't think I'm insulting McDermott by saying Hall will learn more in Jacksonville. He is young and he has learned what he can at this point. Who is going to develop his offensive mind further in Buffalo? In this, I guess it is a bit of a concern. You don't want a WR coach on a SB contender in a position where it make sense for him to grow outside your team.  

20 hours ago, Augie said:

I just heard Josh Jacobs interviewed at the SB. Asked which locations he might enjoy outside of Vegas, he listed all the tax free states. That is a very real consideration. Plus, the Jags have a real QB which helps make a WR coach look better. 

EDIT: It may be a “mutual decision” to move on, just like the ST coach who moved to Jax, but the tax thing is real, especially for players who have a limited number of years. 

Here’s the thing though.  States that don’t have state income tax, get their money from real estate tax.  Unless a player plans to rent, he’s likely going to buy a mansion so will pay taxes anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

Here’s the thing though.  States that don’t have state income tax, get their money from real estate tax.  Unless a player plans to rent, he’s likely going to buy a mansion so will pay taxes anyways.

As someone who lived in Texas for a number of years I can attest to this. My property taxes were more in Texas on a 180,000 house are more than now in Colorado on a house 3 times that.  No state income tax is a marketing tool, states always get their $$$$.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, jletha said:

Interesting that this is a lateral move. By all accounts he was well liked in Buffalo. I wonder if he wanted out or if we werent overly interested in having him return.

Either way maybe itll be a change for the good since our WR development was lacking last season.

Or maybe he saw the team wasn't interested in WR talent when there's average DL to be drafted 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.