Unfounded rumor re: Edmunds Contract

jletha

8 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

Sounds credible.  I too meet relatives of professional athletes who share confidential information with me, a total stranger, on a near-daily basis.  

Honestly, this kind of stuff is pretty common.  I have had it happen to me many times across many things.  Without thinking about it too hard, I could probably list at least a dozen examples related sports, entertainment, etc where I have met someone who was connected to, friends with, or family to some type of major celebrity or athlete and they were very chatty with info not known to the public.  

They aren't anybody...but when they can say there are so and so's Uncle, friend, cousin, whatever they suddenly get a little bit of that spotlight and get chatty for attention.  

Now, in terms of this post...lets assume this story is true, that doesn't mean Edmunds uncle really had the details correct or that things can't still change.  A lot of these guys talk like they know more sometimes than they do, again getting back to liking the attention of people being interested in what they are saying.  It could be that is what Edmunds and his team are trying to get and his Uncle chatting it up like its a done deal for example.

So while I do think its plausible, probably even likely, someone met this guy claiming to be Edmunds uncle.  That doesn't mean the words his uncle said are always going to be totally accurate either.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, jletha said:

Every once in a while these things turn out to be true. So take it with a heaping pile of salt but...

Just threw up in my mouth a little bit. 120 better be for 10 yrs. and proves this team doesn't care about a SB. Just MO

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If the rumor is true, what are they waiting for? I was starting to think that since they haven't extended him yet he wants to test free agency.

They have to sign Frazier first so they can hide behind that stupidity.

10 hours ago, LEBills said:

Doesn’t make sense for Tremaine to have waited to sign a contract and risk injury.

If he resigns it is what it is. Would prefer to put all the resources to the offense. Tremaine has played well just not elite, still only 24 tho it feels like he has been a Bill forever

Well that's because he's so young, you know.

This thread is TLDR so maybe someone else already pointed this out, but Greg Rosenthal, whose opinions and predictions generally seem solid to me, just published an article at NFL.com where he said that the number one thing the Bills need to do this offseason is NOT resign Edmunds. He thinks they should put whatever cap room they have into the offense.

I totally agree with that.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, dhgold said:

This thread is TLDR so maybe someone else already pointed this out, but Greg Rosenthal, whose opinions and predictions generally seem solid to me, just published an article at NFL.com where he said that the number one thing the Bills need to do this offseason is NOT resign Edmunds. He thinks they should put whatever cap room they have into the offense.

Yup read it. He’s 100

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ehh, well that's fine then.

For the record, I wasnt trying to be overly argumentative with you. I was genuinely curious if there was a part of the Cap stuff I wasnt understanding correctly since it's all smoke and mirrors and rainbows and magic.

I was a huge Edmunds detractor through last offseason, but if we could get him back on a long term deal structured like Smith's, then I'm all for it.

Beane needs to flip his usual script (Draft Defense/FA Offense), and re-sign Edmunds and spend the draft on OL and WR.

Go Bills!

Im genuinely sorry if I came off like in a mean way. They wasn’t my intention. I was posting when I was taking breaks at work so some were quick.

Edited by BarleyNY

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

120/6 would be Roquan money. I think that is too much.  120/7 comes in around $17m AAV. If that is well structured and moderate on guaranteed money I could get myself there. 

17mil per is still WAY too much for what he brings.

All-Pro Milano is on 11mil per.

Is Tre a 54% better or more valuable player than Milano?

No sale Gooner!

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, dhgold said:

This is kind of where I am at honestly. I like Tremaine. I don’t think he is going to get much better, he is solid. And he will get a big contract, but I think it will have to come from a team with cap and a rookie contract QB, like the Bears. Or the Texans. Maybe he can be Ryans’ Fred Warner light. That’s the type of situation in which a team can splurge on a off ball backer. If that is the case, Tremaine’s replacement probably comes via draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

No sale Gooner!

Different positions. Like trying to compare the pay of a tackle to a guard. And Milano signed two summers ago. Market has moved again.

23 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

If this is true, it’s great news. Edmunds is a must as a core player in this defense. Eventually, when Frazier is gone, and we go to a 3/4 or 4/3, his skills will transition to an outside LB who is in on pressure packages. My prediction is he improves every year and is destined to be an all-pro starting next year.

I've been pounding the table for more blitz packages with him. It seems like the few times they use it, he wrecks the play with ease. 

42 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I've been pounding the table for more blitz packages with him. It seems like the few times they use it, he wrecks the play with ease. 

Unless he has a free run at the QB, he is a terrible blitzer.  His entire career, he gets swallowed up by blockers whether it be on a running play, or trying to get to the QB on a blitz. 

• Agree 7

13 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

No sale Gooner!

Well Milano’s deal was done a couple years ago.  Not a fair comparison to what Milano would get if he was a free agent today.  

Not advocating for a deal this big for Edmunds, just saying can’t compare this years market to one a while back, prices are just different.

As far as Edmunds goes, I won’t be pissed if he is brought back, but with Frazier here I don’t see the point in spending more big money on defense.  Free up all that cap space and put it into the offense and help and protect Josh.  Frazier has had the #1 and #2 ranked defenses the last 2 years and still folded like a lawn chair in the playoffs. 

So I am at a point where it doesn’t matter who we put on the field, with Frazier here the defense is going to get smashed again in the playoffs.  So invest heavy into the offense to make sure we out score them.  

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Unless he has a free run at the QB, he is a terrible blitzer.  His entire career, he gets swallowed up by blockers whether it be on a running play, or trying to get to the QB on a blitz. 

Yeah, he's definitely not an effective blitzer.  I've seen him get stopped in his tracks by RBs meeting him as he comes through the gap.  You would think he'd be a better blitzer, even if not getting the sack, but just getting closer to the QB and getting his arms up considering his height and wingspan.

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well Milano’s deal was done a couple years ago.  Not a fair comparison to what Milano would get if he was a free agent today.  

Not advocating for a deal this big for Edmunds, just saying can’t compare this years market to one a while back, prices are just different.

As far as Edmunds goes, I won’t be pissed if he is brought back, but with Frazier here I don’t see the point in spending more big money on defense.  Free up all that cap space and put it into the offense and help and protect Josh.  Frazier has had the #1 and #2 ranked defenses the last 2 years and still folded like a lawn chair in the playoffs. 

So I am at a point where it doesn’t matter who we put on the field, with Frazier here the defense is going to get smashed again in the playoffs.  So invest heavy into the offense to make sure we out score them.  

we can get trucked in the playoffs with less picks/cap than what we came in with the past four seasons.

super necessary edmunds floating in the middle of the field with the TE uncovered underneath beyond the sticks can happen with whoever out there.

• Agree 3

On 2/9/2023 at 8:52 AM, Dopey said:

And then…?

And  thennn, and then, and then, and then.

Dude where’s my car was so funny.  I couldn’t resist.  Ridge can’t have all the fun.

As far as firing Beane, dude you really need to hold off on the day drinking, or on Bruce’s case, the ganga.  Just kidding Bruce.  You know I luv ya. My weed smoking buddy.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/9/2023 at 9:09 AM, LEBills said:

Doesn’t make sense for Tremaine to have waited to sign a contract and risk injury.

If he resigns it is what it is. Would prefer to put all the resources to the offense. Tremaine has played well just not elite, still only 24 tho it feels like he has been a Bill forever

I think if Edmunds instincts can get better & they will over time hopefully he can have a long great career. But he hasn’t shown elite yet to me. He is still a baby tho. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

I think if Edmunds instincts can get better & they will over time hopefully he can have a long great career. But he hasn’t shown elite yet to me. He is still a baby tho. 🤦🏻‍♂️

He has played 5 years at the NFL level.  His instincts aren’t getting better after thousands of snaps.  You are seeing the best of him already. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, colin said:

we can get trucked in the playoffs with less picks/cap than what we came in with the past four seasons.

super necessary edmunds floating in the middle of the field with the TE uncovered underneath beyond the sticks can happen with whoever out there.

Just like Travis Kelsey (a Tight End) can catch the game winning TD in our playoff loss last year...on Milano. Good regular season LB, but in the playoffs?!

Super necessary Milano trying to cover a TE and can't, can happen with whoever out there.

Just now, LabattBlue said:

He has played 5 years at the NFL level.  His instincts aren’t getting better after thousands of snaps.  You are seeing the best of him already. 

I do understand that, although I believe he progressed this year. Was around the ball more, was in a better possession a lot, given himself a few more opportunities to make some big plays, and made a few. If I didn’t see any progress I would agree. 

7 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

100% guaranteed they aren't ever getting better after 5 years of experience. This is the best he will ever be. From here injury risk goes up and athleticism goes down. If he was a smarter/more instinctual player that would carry his prime out longer and delay his decline, but those traits aren't a plus for him.

1 minute ago, Rebel101 said:

I do understand that, although I believe he progressed this year. Was around the ball more, was in a better possession a lot, given himself a few more opportunities to make some big plays, and made a few. If I didn’t see any progress I would agree. 

This is why
1449249800.0.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

That’s the question that most fans struggle with. Is this McDermotte/Frazier defensive strategy taking advantage of the individual skills on our roster?They rarely rush more than D-line and play nickel every down. Especially after Von went down, we never consistently pressured the QB. Against most teams it was fine, but giving Burrow, Mahomes, Herbert, even Tua time to go thru progressions, they will carve our young secondary up. It seems with Edmunds speed and length coupled with Milano’s ability, our LBs should have 12 sacks between them. These plays are game changers. 

9 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

That’s the question that most fans struggle with. Is this McDermotte/Frazier defensive strategy taking advantage of the individual skills on our roster?They rarely rush more than D-line and play nickel every down. Especially after Von went down, we never consistently pressured the QB. Against most teams it was fine, but giving Burrow, Mahomes, Herbert, even Tua time to go thru progressions, they will carve our young secondary up. It seems with Edmunds speed and length coupled with Milano’s ability, our LBs should have 12 sacks between them. These plays are game changers. 

Agreed it’s back to soft coaching 

27 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Milano gets home more often than not when he blitzes.  Edmunds rarely does.  When he’s unblocked, Edmunds is a heat seeking 6’5” 250lb missile.  When blocked, he doesn’t have the bend/flexibility to shed or get around blockers.  He also plays too upright and loses at the game of leverage.  If he had any ball-skills, he’d be a heck of a safety or big nickel.  He’s really a tough case.  For a team that’s undersized and not particularly fast in its back 7, you don’t wanna lose a 6’5” 250 lb 4.4 guy.  But can you really afford to pay him $15m+ per year when it’s Milano and the safeties who are making all the plays? 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Agreed it’s back to soft coaching 

All these teams are beefing up coaching staffs. Poaching guys from us, other teams and Beane and Sean are standing pat and dumpster diving for replacements. This Is my biggest beef with Beane. After the colossal choke job of “13” seconds and letting the Bengals walk into our building and take our lunch money, he’s running it back with Frazier, who’s been a bust his whole career as a HC and a coordinator. Our OC showed poorly as a rookie and almost got Josh killed. Our offense was predictable and one dimensional with Josh throwing bombs to receivers who other than Diggs, couldn’t get separation or dropped throws.Minimal running attack other than Josh running when flushed. An O-line coach who should be ashamed of his line’s performance and a QB coach who enabled Josh to regress with respect to turnovers. One more year of underachieving and we will officially be wasting our HOF QB.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Milano gets home more often than not when he blitzes.  Edmunds rarely does.  When he’s unblocked, Edmunds is a heat seeking 6’5” 250lb missile.  When blocked, he doesn’t have the bend/flexibility to shed or get around blockers.  He also plays too upright and loses at the game of leverage.  If he had any ball-skills, he’d be a heck of a safety or big nickel.  He’s really a tough case.  For a team that’s undersized and not particularly fast in its back 7, you don’t wanna lose a 6’5” 250 lb 4.4 guy.  But can you really afford to pay him $15m+ per year when it’s Milano and the safeties who are making all the plays? 

We can argue about a contract another time but did you not see a measurable improvement in his instinctual play this season? The question is if a coaching strategy is rush 4, then why work with him to improve pressure skills. This guy runs down backs and underneath receivers with physicality and can influence the passing game with a freakish wingspan. Our DC sucks and will be gone soon. Edmunds value will be shown with the next regime. Finally, with this defense, playing 2LBs, and an average secondary  in the nickel every down, how can we afford to lose him?

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

I couldn't . The All pro playing next to this 17 year old makes $10m

The all pro is a will linebacker. I know the Bills scheme asks Edmunds and Milano to do some similar things (though their roles are still distinct) but in a lot of other defenses their role would be even more different. That is why the markets are different. And Milano's deal was signed 2 years ago and the market keep climbing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.