Unfounded rumor re: Edmunds Contract

jletha

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

6/120 would be mind numbing... 7/120, I could live with... and it might actually make sense to give Edmunds a massively long deal given how young he is.

Would allow for quite a bit of flexibility in terms of backloading and the ability to restructure down the line. 

Yep, contract restructuring is the name of the game now.  As long as there's backloading and outs built in that allow us to move on if his play never reaches what you'd expect from a guy making $20M per, I'm good with it.

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Probably to see where the cap was heading. 

Well, they know now. If Edmunds was a priority they would have locked him up by now.

I've gone back and forth on Edmunds. After the 2021 season I thought no way we would extend him. Earlier this year I thought he was a definite extension priority. Now I'm thinking we should let him walk and use his money for offense. I like Edmunds, I think the defense was much better this year when he was on the field. But what's the point if we end up in shootouts in the playoffs every year anyways? Might as well spend on offense and get a cheaper replacement at MLB.

A few names I saw as potential options:

Germaine Pratt

Drue Tranquill

Leighton Vander Esch

Deion Jones

Anthony Walker

Bobby Okereke

Take a small to moderate step back at MLB in exchange for a big investment in the OL? Count me in for that idea.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

120/6 would be Roquan money. I think that is too much.  120/7 comes in around $17m AAV. If that is well structured and moderate on guaranteed money I could get myself there. 

7 years always seems like too long for anyone other than a QB, but he's... and i can't stress this enough...  only 25 😂

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jletha said:

Every once in a while these things turn out to be true. So take it with a heaping pile of salt but...

True or not, this is in line with what I've felt for a long time now. Not necessarily the money part...We'll see about that. But the fact that the Bills were going to re-sign Edmunds, and that is was very likely whatever parameters they have, it's basically been agreed upon for a while now. They see Tremaine as a cornerstone. They see him as the Josh Allen of the Defense. Not saying it's right or wrong. Just saying it seems pretty obvious to me the way they have always talked about him. B-)

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I can't imagine what would happen to this board if Tremaine is extended.....then a few hours later we get a tweet that Saffold is also extended.

Oh, just wait until we draft a plug and play 10-15 year starter at long-snapper in the second round! The entertainment value is not just on game days! 

I met Mitch Morse’s uncle on the flight to Buffalo for the home opener and he said that was his last season as a Bill. Oh, that was TWO home openers ago. I’ll wait and see how it turns out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Well, they know now. If Edmunds was a priority they would have locked him up by now.

I've gone back and forth on Edmunds. After the 2021 season I thought no way we would extend him. Earlier this year I thought he was a definite extension priority. Now I'm thinking we should let him walk and use his money for offense. I like Edmunds, I think the defense was much better this year when he was on the field. But what's the point if we end up in shootouts in the playoffs every year anyways? Might as well spend on offense and get a cheaper replacement at MLB.

Germaine Pratt

Drue Tranquill

Leighton Vander Esch

Deion Jones

Anthony Walker

Bobby Okereke

Take a small to moderate step back at MLB in exchange for a big investment in the OL? Count me in for that idea.

Vander Esch has neck issues so he'll never get a long term deal.  Pratt's a thumper - which doesn't help us against the KC's of the world... but there are a lot of teams that run the ball, and it isn't just buffalo that gets some lousier weather as the year moves on.  Tranquill was at ND for 5 years, and then 4 in the NFL and will be 28 when he gets his new deal so id imagine he wants the highest guarantee possible.  

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I can't imagine what would happen to this board if Tremaine is extended.....then a few hours later we get a tweet that Saffold is also extended.

The scene outside Beane's office from Bills Mafia.

lyRcqOkMfoaJ31A09K3rYLm17E6lQ=

Just now, KOKBILLS said:

True or not, this is in line with what I've felt for a long time now. Not necessarily the money part...We'll see about that. But the fact that the Bills were going to re-sign Edmunds, and that is was very likely whatever parameters they have, it's basically been agreed upon for a while now. They see Tremaine as a cornerstone. They see him as the Josh Allen of the Defense. Not saying it's right or wrong. Just saying it seems pretty obvious to me the way they have always talked about him. B-)

I think the challenge is going to be getting him to take another step - he did that this past season.  He seemed to play faster, more aggressively.  He was a part of some games where Buffalo absolutely thrashed the opposing offense.  What comes next is... wanting those challenging assignments, improvement as a blitzer, and development of a bit of a mean streak (Rousseau needs this as well).  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

If the rumor is true, what are they waiting for? I was starting to think that since they haven't extended him yet he wants to test free agency.

Well, now that the cap has been set to $224.8M and the Bills are $17M - $20M over the cap, wouldn't they have to announce several restructures and/or cuts?

I guess the new league here hasn't started, so maybe they could announce the deal and not have to have all the actual moves completed, but not sure of that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jletha said:

Every once in a while these things turn out to be true. So take it with a heaping pile of salt but...

I live in Washington DC now after growing up in Rochester. My friend got my court side tickets to the Wizards game tonight where we meet Tremaine's uncle. He showed us some of their draft night pictures and considering Maine is from Northern Virginia he seemed believable

He told us the contract was pretty much all worked out but not signed yet. $120 million deal, but he didn't say how long it was for (pure speculation here but I would say either 6 or probably 7 years). He said Tremaine waited until this year for a deal after working it out with Beane so they could get other deals signed last off season (again, speculation here: I'm guessing Von's signing and the Diggs extension) in exchange for a more favorable contract when his time comes

Obviously no one has any reason to believe this, but meeting the guy he gave me every reason to believe he was Tremaine's family. I'd love to see him stay in Buffalo, and if this is the deal, you heard it here first

Just to keep in mind that we had Damar's uncle telling us he had to be resuscitated multiple times (again in the ER) and Josh Allen's cousin in Cali saying he'd be out 2-4 weeks with the UCL, both incorrect - along with Digg's Uncle telling us Josh Allen is a "Bad White Boy" - which of course is True.  So the rellies don't always have the best info.

Beane had no cap or financial driver to delay working out a contract with Tre Edmunds, who had the 3rd biggest cap hit on the team at $12.7M last season.  Beane could have helped his cap by working out a deal where the signing bonus got spread over multiple years and the salary for the first 1-2 years was low.  I think they wanted to see how Edmunds played this season.

Spotrac suggests $11M, 4 year $44M for Edmunds.  Roquan Smith got market-setting money at $5 years/$100M so it seems pretty implausible that Beane would agree to pay Edmunds $6 yr/$120M before the season starts.  Stats don't tell the whole story, but I think most of us would say to Edmunds "I know Roquan Smith, and Tre Edmunds is no Roquan Smith"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Vander Esch has neck issues so he'll never get a long term deal.  Pratt's a thumper - which doesn't help us against the KC's of the world... but there are a lot of teams that run the ball, and it isn't just buffalo that gets some lousier weather as the year moves on.  Tranquill was at ND for 5 years, and then 4 in the NFL and will be 28 when he gets his new deal so id imagine he wants the highest guarantee possible.  

Tranquill had a great year.  7 games with double digit tackles. 95 solo (146 total) 5 sacks, FF, INT, 12.5 stuffs. Okereke has a good year too.  99 solo tackles (151 overall) 2 forced fumbles, 2 recoveries, 12.5 stuffs.

44 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You know how we say build up the OL to help Josh Allen? Same goes for Tremaine Edmunds and the DL. We saw what a NT like DaQuan Jones did for Edmunds this season. With all due respect to Jones he’s just an above average DT. Edmunds needs help as well. Get another stout DT like Jones and Edmunds will get even better.

Saffold they must move on. I would take Saffold in a depth role cheap but I doubt he goes for that.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Just to keep in mind that we had Damar's uncle telling us he had to be resuscitated multiple times (again in the ER) and Josh Allen's cousin in Cali saying he'd be out 2-4 weeks with the UCL, both incorrect - along with Digg's Uncle telling us Josh Allen is a "Bad White Boy" - which of course is True.  So the rellies don't always have the best info.

Beane had no cap or financial driver to delay working out a contract with Tre Edmunds, who had the 3rd biggest cap hit on the team at $12.7M last season.  Beane could have helped his cap by working out a deal where the signing bonus got spread over multiple years and the salary for the first 1-2 years was low.  I think they wanted to see how Edmunds played this season.

Spotrac suggests $11M, 4 year $44M for Edmunds.  Roquan Smith got market-setting money at $5 years/$100M so it seems pretty implausible that Beane would agree to pay Edmunds $6 yr/$120M before the season starts.  Stats don't tell the whole story, but I think most of us would say to Edmunds "I know Roquan Smith, and Tre Edmunds is no Roquan Smith"

The Bengals before they played Buffalo said they’re good but they ain’t the Ravens LBs.

Maybe we should listen to them but it will be hard for Beane to let Edmunds walk.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well, now that the cap has been set to $224.8M and the Bills are $17M - $20M over the cap, wouldn't they have to announce several restructures and/or cuts?

I guess the new league here hasn't started, so maybe they could announce the deal and not have to have all the actual moves completed, but not sure of that. 

Beane can basically get back to even with the cap just by restructuring Josh.  If he does same with some other contracts (Diggs, White, Dawkins, Morse & Milano) they can gain +$20M of cap space.

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Germaine Pratt

Drue Tranquill

Leighton Vander Esch

Deion Jones

Anthony Walker

Bobby Okereke

1. How many players have been re-signed to their current team since the new cap number was announced?   Why do you assume no extension by now is a data point that has any finality to it at all?

2. If you think Leighton Vander Doodle is a solution to anything, much less replacing Edmunds, I’m not sure what you’re somoking.

Edmunds agent sleeper cells posting on reddit 😆😆

Honestly its all believable except the $$. Why would someones uncle know cintract details. Uncle was drunk trying to sound cool on the $$, or made up post to farm reddit karma.

Actually i changed my mind. Reddit karma can end up lucrative. What better way to get it than a speculation post, on a team with a hugeeee following, about their most controversial player, and throwing out a believable, yet barf inducing reaction/engagement bait.

Smart lil turd. Karma farm

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd be totally fine with matching the Roquan deal. Cheap first 2 years, reasonable 3rd year, and then you can get out. The $20M average is just the market we're going to have to get used to as fans.

The 5/$100M Roquan deal delays the early year cap hits, but the first three seasons pays out $60M, which all has to be accounted for on the cap. 

The most surprising thing about this is that Edmunds would want this long of a deal. He would be young enough to cash in big again if he did a four year contract now. Maybe the guarantees are worth it (assuming this rumor is accurate.)

22 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

1. How many players have been re-signed to their current team since the new cap number was announced?   Why do you assume no extension by now is a data point that has any finality to it at all?

2. If you think Leighton Vander Doodle is a solution to anything, much less replacing Edmunds, I’m not sure what you’re somoking.

Well, he’s in a ‘Happy daze’..

39 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Tranquill had a great year.  7 games with double digit tackles. 95 solo (146 total) 5 sacks, FF, INT, 12.5 stuffs. Okereke has a good year too.  99 solo tackles (151 overall) 2 forced fumbles, 2 recoveries, 12.5 stuffs.

Yeah, i just think tranquill is likely going to highest bidder by necessity (28 by season start, and he has made like 3M).  

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Yeah, i just think tranquill is likely going to highest bidder by necessity (28 by season start, and he has made like 3M).  

Oh, I don't disagree, but if they were going to move on from Edmunds, I still think he'd be an option that wouldn't cost anywhere near what Edmunds would.

29 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The 5/$100M Roquan deal delays the early year cap hits, but the first three seasons pays out $60M, which all has to be accounted for on the cap. 

The most surprising thing about this is that Edmunds would want this long of a deal. He would be young enough to cash in big again if he did a four year contract now. Maybe the guarantees are worth it (assuming this rumor is accurate.)

I'm not sure I follow what you mean there, considering we arent in the old Cash to Cap days.

His first year is a Cap Hit of $9M. That is all that needs to be accounted for on the cap.

Numbers laid out below.

On 1/31/2023 at 5:53 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Here's what we are looking at for the Edmunds deal:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/roquan-smith-25103/

0UQuzVD.png

Not too bad if we could actually get something like this done. Get that hit down from $12M this year to $9M next year, have an out after 3 years.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

120/6 would be Roquan money. I think that is too much.  120/7 comes in around $17m AAV. If that is well structured and moderate on guaranteed money I could get myself there. 

I'm leaning towards letting Edmunds walk or trade him. 

Look at the guys body of work. He had one good year out of 5 which so happens to be a contract year. Sure it could be argued he's developed and gotten better. 

The guy just isn't dynamic. He's not a player maker or a game changer. By no means is he horrible.

He is the best that the Bills have and a hole will exist if he's gone. However, the guy is absolutely replaceable. The Fraizer/McD defense thus far can't get it done in the playoffs. That includes Edmunds. Just the sad facts. 

I hope the Bills go after a guy like Pratt from Cinci who might be available. 

In short, I want the Bills to go into a different direction. Concentrate primarily on the offense. No need to invest in Edmunds in this defense. We see what this D does in the playoffs.

Surround Allen with a great Oline and more weapons. Let Allen cook and win the game. He is that good. This gives the Bills the best chance to win. I'm tired of this organization primarily concentrating on the defense which inevitably fails short. Time for a change in philosophy. That's why I advocate for coaching changes. Beane, McD, and Fraizer are stuck in mud.

The media and fans need to continually bang the drum until they can see their ways aren't working. Unless you are satisfied with nice season records and early playoff outs.

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Look at the guys body of work. He had one good year out of 5 which so happens to be a contract year. Sure it could be argued he's developed and gotten better. 

The guy just isn't dynamic. He's not a player maker or a game changer. By no means is he horrible.

He is the best that the Bills have and a hole will exist if he's gone. However, the guy is absolutely replaceable. The Fraizer/McD defense thus far can't get it done in the playoffs. That includes Edmunds. Just the sad facts. 

In short, I want the Bills to go into a different direction. Concentrate primarily on the offense. No need to invest in Edmunds in this defense. We see what this D does in the playoffs.

Surround Allen with a great Oline and more weapons. Let Allen cook and win the game. He is that good. This gives the Bills the best chance to win. I'm tired of this organization primarily concentrating on the defense which inevitably fails short. Time for a change in philosophy. That's why I advocate for coaching changes. Beane, McD, and Fraizer are stuck in mud.

The media and fans need to continually bang the drum until they can see their ways aren't working. Unless you are satisfied with nice season records and early playoff outs.

Pratt isn't a fit in our defense. I know you are one who would like to radically change the defense, but that isn't happening. I agree they need to prioritise offense, I was advocating for that last spring as well.... spend those FA dollars on offensive line not defensive line, spend those draft picks on receivers not running backs and linebackers. But you also have to make ever team building decision on its own merits as well as within the broader strategy. There is a ceiling at which I wouldn't want to keep Edmunds, both in terms of pure $$s and in terms of contract structure. But I am leaning towards keep him if the price is reasonable. Certainly at the $15m AAV that the PFF list had him at the other day that is a no brainer, you keep him at that price. At Roquan Smith money - $20m AAV - that is a no brainer you let him walk.... the trickier call is right in that middle of that range. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

What do you mean by trade him?  He's a UFA.   Are you suggesting we tag him?  From reports I've seen tagging will cost almost $21M.

Edited by Billz4ever

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Bengals before they played Buffalo said they’re good but they ain’t the Ravens LBs.

Maybe we should listen to them but it will be hard for Beane to let Edmunds walk.

If he really wants something like 6 years, $120M and thinks he can get that in FA, the Bills could potentially franchise tag him for $20.9M and trade him if Beane just can't let him go.

3 hours ago, jletha said:

The northern Virginia part bugs me. Danville (Ringgold)’s about a 5-10 minute drive from North Carolina and a 4 and a half hour drive to Washington, DC. It’d be more believable if it was Chapel Hill or Durham for a Terps game. 🤷‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, jletha said:

The northern Virginia part bugs me. Danville (Ringgold)’s about a 5-10 minute drive from North Carolina and a 4 and a half hour drive to Washington, DC. It’d be more believable if it was Chapel Hill or Durham for a Terps game. 🤷‍♂️ 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.