Diggs is Tweeting

Mark92

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Don't care that you can't prove a counterfactual. Two years ago was the year. Josh was locked in. The coaching staff bungled it.

Still time, of course, but that lost opportunity is going to haunt for a generation if they don't come through.

Teams have loaded up their rosters with QBs on a rookie contract. That's why these teams have had Super Bowl success by a QB's year 4. Obviously, that's an issue now that the Bills are forced to move money around but the window is still firmly open. In 2-3 years, it'll be much more difficult.

7 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Well I mean, I guess we should just trade Allen then and go draft a new QB. Because trends never ever get broken. Just start it all over, go get the 6th best QB and finish 4-13 or something. Makes sense.

I didn't suggest that kind of fatalism in any fashion. Read more closely. "If" signals a subjunctive.

4 minutes ago, Punch said:

Teams have loaded up their rosters with QBs on a rookie contract. That's why these teams have had Super Bowl success by a QB's year 4. Obviously, that's an issue now that the Bills are forced to move money around but the window is still firmly open. In 2-3 years, it'll be much more difficult.

As long as Josh Allen is on the team and in his prime, or even late prime, there is a reasonable chance, but that does not make the miss in that rookie contract window any less an egregious lost opportunity.

16 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Don't care that you can't prove a counterfactual. Two years ago was the year. Josh was locked in. The coaching staff bungled it.

Still time, of course, but that lost opportunity is going to haunt for a generation if they don't come through.

After watching the Bengals dominate us in the Divisional Round this year my "13 seconds" outlook changed as I think the Bengals beat us like they did the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

After watching the Bengals dominate us in the Divisional Round this year my "13 seconds" outlook changed as I think the Bengals beat us like they did the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game.  

Unavoidably speculative, so unprovable. That is certainly not a ridiculous take. Each year is different and it is often a combination of momentum and fortuitous play that determines the outcome. What we had was an offense humming with diverse ways of attacking and a young qb playing with supreme confidence. I remain convinced that the Bills were shaping into a juggernaut set up to conquer. We were defeated by inexplicable coaching decisions, not only at the end, but in the inane strategy that wasted third quarter drives taking the air out of the ball. And yes, the defense was cooked. This last year is witness to the relative weakness of any defense in today's game. What Beane and McDermott took from that fiasco was the need to bring the qb down and so they went out and splurged on Von Miller. Naturally, that was not utterly dim, yet the more astute counsel would have been and still is to admit that qualified and partial containment of the best offenses is what one should strive for as most plausibly achievable. Building a fortress around Josh and increasing the weapons around him along with a cohesive plan to relentlessly pressure the other team's defense is the far more prudent plan, one that I am skeptical the Bills have embraced.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Unavoidably speculative, so unprovable. That is certainly not a ridiculous take. Each year is different and it is often a combination of momentum and fortuitous play that determines the outcome. What we had was an offense humming with diverse ways of attacking and a young qb playing with supreme confidence. I remain convinced that the Bills were shaping into a juggernaut set up to conquer. We were defeated by inexplicable coaching decisions, not only at the end, but in the inane strategy that wasted third quarter drives taking the air out of the ball. And yes, the defense was cooked. This last year is witness to the relative weakness of any defense in today's game. What Beane and McDermott took from that fiasco was the need to bring the qb down and so they went out and splurged on Von Miller. Naturally, that was not utterly dim, yet the more astute counsel would have been and still is to admit that qualified and partial containment of the best offenses is what one should strive for as most plausibly achievable. Building a fortress around Josh and increasing the weapons around him along with a cohesive plan to relentlessly pressure the other team's defense is the far more prudent plan, one that I am skeptical the Bills have embraced.

Season 3 Sleeping GIF by The Simpsons

On 4/3/2023 at 11:43 PM, Doc Brown said:

Well, odds are young winning Super Bowl QB's will win it in their first four years. 

Super Bowl champion QB's last 20 seasons:

QB's to win it first four years of career:  Brady (year 2), Roethlisberger (year 2), Wilson (year 3), Mahomes (year 3)

QB's to win it year five or after:  E. Manning (year 5), Flacco (year 5), Rodgers (year 6), Foles (year 6), Brees (year 9), P. Manning (year 9), M. Stafford (year 13)

Plenty of time to get it right assuming Allen stays healthy.  Allen has only been a top five quarterback for three seasons now.

Also worth noting.....NEVER has a coach / QB combo that had been together more than 5 years, ever won the Super Bowl.  

If McDermott and Allen were to win one at this point, it would be the first time a QB/Coach pairing that had been together 6 years or more, won it all.

It's kind of weird to say McDermott, head of a very good team, is on the hot seat, but in reality, the situation of being all in, and not getting over the hump so far....it might be McDermotts last shot before maybe you put a new set of eyes and ideas around Allen and see what happens.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Also worth noting.....NEVER has a coach / QB combo that had been together more than 5 years, ever won the Super Bowl.  

If McDermott and Allen were to win one at this point, it would be the first time a QB/Coach pairing that had been together 6 years or more, won it all.

Brady / Belichick

....Maybe I should have worded this better....but Brady and Belichic were together just a year and won their first super bowl.  That's what I'm talking about....No coach and QB ever paired up has gone more than 5 years without a SB win, and THEN won it in later years.  If your coach and QB hasn't gotten it done after 5 years together, in history, none ever have.

This will be McDermott and Allens 6th season as a QB/Coach pairing.

5 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

....Maybe I should have worded this better....but Brady and Belichic were together just a year and won their first super bowl.  That's what I'm talking about....No coach and QB ever paired up has gone more than 5 years without a SB win, and THEN won it in later years.  If your coach and QB hasn't gotten it done after 5 years together, in history, none ever have.

I posted this last week. Was an article a few years old but still holds true. 

You’re a little off though. It has happened. Like 5 times. But hasn’t happened since Cowher I believe. I’ll see if I can find the article again. 

found it:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-coaches-and-qbs-should-divorce-after-five-years-of-not-winning/

Edited by mrags

8 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Brady / Belichick

I think he means “who had not won it earlier”, so Brady and Belicheck don’t count

I think what usually happens is that if a good coach and good team don’t take that next step within 3 years, ownership gets impatient and chops off their head: “NEXT!”

And sometimes that works - swapping Tomlin for Cowher after a disappointing 8-8 season for example

Or booting Fox for Kubiak in Denver

And sometimes it doesn’t - like booting Reid out the door for Kelly in Philly 

Or replacing Kubiak with Joseph, and Fangio, and Hackett, and ….

But I don’t think there’s a lot of data on what happens if you take a good coach and a good team with a great QB and give them some space to figure things out

7 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

And? These types of stats are meaningless. If the Bills ever win the super bowl it will be a lot of “firsts” 

1 minute ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

And? These types of stats are meaningless. If the Bills ever win the super bowl it will be a lot of “firsts” 

There is a first time for everything, and just becasue something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it won't happen.  I get it.  But, I wouldn't dismiss this stat as meaningless.  It stongly indicates that 5 years is enough time to know if you have QB problem, a coach problem or both.  

The Bills have the 3rd best SB odds this year...it's ENTIRELY possible McDermott and Allen become the first QB/Coach duo to make it happen after 6 years together.

28 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

It's kind of weird to say McDermott, head of a very good team, is on the hot seat, but in reality, the situation of being all in, and not getting over the hump so far....it might be McDermotts last shot before maybe you put a new set of eyes and ideas around Allen and see what happens.  

Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr would like a word.

58 minutes ago, mrags said:

I posted this last week. Was an article a few years old but still holds true. 

You’re a little off though. It has happened. Like 5 times. But hasn’t happened since Cowher I believe. I’ll see if I can find the article again. 

found it:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-coaches-and-qbs-should-divorce-after-five-years-of-not-winning/

Direct quote from the article:

Call it The Five-Year Rule: No team has ever started the same quarterback under the same head coach for more than five years and seen that duo win its first championship. As you can see in the table, some really great duos just got their title together in the fifth year, but all 35 duos required no more than five years together.

This is what I meant to say...if that wasn't understood.

7 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Direct quote from the article:

Call it The Five-Year Rule: No team has ever started the same quarterback under the same head coach for more than five years and seen that duo win its first championship. As you can see in the table, some really great duos just got their title together in the fifth year, but all 35 duos required no more than five years together.

This is what I meant to say...if that wasn't understood.

Yes. And like I said. It’s happened. Just not often. The last time was Cowher. 

also a direct quote from the article:

“This is strikingly common in NFL history. Of the 31 head coaches to win at least one Super Bowl, 27 of them won their first championship within the first five seasons with that team. Only Chuck Noll (six years in Pittsburgh), John Madden (eight years in Oakland), Tom Landry (12 years in Dallas) and Bill Cowher (14 years in Pittsburgh) needed more than five years to capture that elusive first ring.”

16 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yes. And like I said. It’s happened. Just not often. The last time was Cowher. 

also a direct quote from the article:

“This is strikingly common in NFL history. Of the 31 head coaches to win at least one Super Bowl, 27 of them won their first championship within the first five seasons with that team. Only Chuck Noll (six years in Pittsburgh), John Madden (eight years in Oakland), Tom Landry (12 years in Dallas) and Bill Cowher (14 years in Pittsburgh) needed more than five years to capture that elusive first ring.”

yes, but of the coaches that took a long time to get the first ring...the QB they paired up with....they were never a duo more than 5 years.  That's my point here with McD and Allen...this is year 6 together.

Andy Ried didn't win his first SB until he'd been a head coach for like 20 years...but it was his 3rd season paired up with Mahomes.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

yes, but of the coaches that took a long time to get the first ring...the QB they paired up with....they were never a duo more than 5 years.  That's my point here with McD and Allen...this is year 6 together.

Andy Ried didn't win his first SB until he'd been a head coach for like 20 years...but it was his 3rd season paired up with Mahomes.  

I’m very simply stating that it’s been done. I agree with you about McD and Allen. I’m just telling you, why you’re saying is incorrect. There have been coaches with QBs that went 5 years before they finally won a ring. It’s happened. 

I found the one article. It’s too late and I’m too tired to argue about this. Your point is correct in that the 5 year rule is coming for Allen and McD. It was incorrect that it’s never happened. 

enjoy your night 

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m very simply stating that it’s been done. I agree with you about McD and Allen. I’m just telling you, why you’re saying is incorrect. There have been coaches with QBs that went 5 years before they finally won a ring. It’s happened. 

I found the one article. It’s too late and I’m too tired to argue about this. Your point is correct in that the 5 year rule is coming for Allen and McD. It was incorrect that it’s never happened. 

enjoy your night 

It's literally never happend....per the article.

• Agree 1

On 1/23/2023 at 3:07 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I also highly, highly doubt this was the first time. Allen’s words say he trusts Dorsey, but his body language and the way he says it.

Dorsey is getting only one more year to turn this offense around. If he fails and we get bounced again in the playoffs,  I could see Terry switching to an offensive HC. We've already pissed away 3 great opportunities to win a Chip with Allen.  Diggs is right.... too bad the rest of this team doesn't have the passion he has.  

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Dorsey is getting only one more year to turn this offense around. If he fails and we get bounced again in the playoffs,  I could see Terry switching to an offensive HC. We've already pissed away 3 great opportunities to win a Chip with Allen.  Diggs is right.... too bad the rest of this team doesn't have the passion he has.  

The McBeane “Hotseat” is as cold as ice. I don’t think Terry would even entertain the notion of firing McD or Beane. If the O craps the bed then I could see them bringing in a new OC but I don’t think there’s a chance McD is gone. Not saying I agree with that, just that I think the fans are looking at this from a different perspective than the owner. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

The KC QB and Coach are a problem for JA17 and McD.  Since this is Masters week, it’s like Tiger was a problem/roadblock for other great golfers during his prime.  Phil, Duval, Westwood, Els, Garcia, etc., would’ve won more majors with no Tiger.  

I barely have enough time to spend on the Bills board exchanging thoughts and ideas, I can’t imagine doing the same on another teams boards.

I’m thinking it tells you everything you need to know about the level of engagement these of teams fans(KC) have or more likely don’t have with one another.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, chongli said:

Well, not that most care, but Stefon has lost his blue verified Twitter check mark, as have many others. Good for him for not paying.

Here's a cached screenshot of Diggs's check mark:

A120432C-9755-468A-820A-FD9ACF3A87AB.jpeg

Why is it good for him? He makes millions…Who cares?

Edited by JaCrispy

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Why is it good for him? He makes millions…

I'm guessing it's an implicit political message as I suppose you know. Doesn't have anything to do with football which coincidentally, neither do Diggs tweets.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, chongli said:

Well, not that most care, but Stefon has lost his blue verified Twitter check mark, as have many others. Good for him for not paying.

Here's a cached screenshot of Diggs's check mark:

A120432C-9755-468A-820A-FD9ACF3A87AB.jpeg

Monetizing the blue checkmarks makes no sense to me. It completely defeats their purpose. They are just supposed to be for showing that a specific Twitter account for a well known person is the legit one. Now all the legit accounts are losing them and so many random people have blue checks next to their name. Makes things so much more confusing.

I could see paying for features like being able to send longer tweets and being able to edit. But not the blue check.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm guessing it's an implicit political message as I suppose you know. Doesn't have anything to do with football which coincidentally, neither do Diggs tweets.

Never understood why some have to see politics in everything.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.