Bucs fire OC Byron Leftwich

HOUSE

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Fired the wrong coach.  Bowles is a failure as a head coach and will likely be on the outs after next year.

Leftwich should have been made the HC last offseason and now they fire him as OC. Tampa will quickly flush back down into the bowl of anonymity. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This is very stupid, the Bucs problem was an Online that lost their guards in the off-season and got massively banged up to the rest of the starters. That’s not something you can control for and no amount of play calling will make up for that. Just looking for someone to blame. Had Jensen not gotten hurt and the rest of the Oline stayed reasonably healthy the Bucs probably would have been a much better offense and won at least 2-3 more games.

• Agree 1

Looks like a very lame bid by TB/Arians to maintain status quo and Bowles, and convince Brady to come back. I think Brady tells them this week he will not come back with Bowles there as HC.  Not sure what happens next. Who wants to see the Bucs go 3-14 next year with Bowles HC and a Wentz/Darnold level qb. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Charles Romes said:

Looks like a very lame bid by TB/Arians to maintain status quo and Bowles, and convince Brady to come back. I think Brady tells them this week he will not come back with Bowles there as HC.  Not sure what happens next. Who wants to see the Bucs go 3-14 next year with Bowles HC and a Wentz/Darnold level qb

🖐️Are we voting?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

They teach that at Marshall?

…..not that there’s anything wrong with that.

No need for onerous travel or academic pre-requisites!  $39.95, your choice VHS or CD for the video 'That Extra Competitive Advantage', ©️2004, New England Patriot Media Productions.

• Shocked 1

20 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Looks like a very lame bid by TB/Arians to maintain status quo and Bowles, and convince Brady to come back. I think Brady tells them this week he will not come back with Bowles there as HC.  Not sure what happens next. Who wants to see the Bucs go 3-14 next year with Bowles HC and a Wentz/Darnold level qb. 

What's Arians got to do with it? 

36 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Sign me up... the champa bay moniker has gone suddenly silent here.

52 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This is very stupid, the Bucs problem was an Online that lost their guards in the off-season and got massively banged up to the rest of the starters. That’s not something you can control for and no amount of play calling will make up for that. Just looking for someone to blame. Had Jensen not gotten hurt and the rest of the Oline stayed reasonably healthy the Bucs probably would have been a much better offense and won at least 2-3 more games.

Yup.  

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Can't blame Teflon™ T*m.

10 minutes ago, boyst said:

I've liked him for a while. He has good vision when seeing the field to coach. 

He and Dorsey have been two coaches I've been following. I'd like leftwiich here. With Dorsey it'd be a great combo

I think he would make a good offensive assistant.

Sign him now and he can continue in playoffs.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Well if QB is mobile there are ways to help it but hard when QB is eligible for Social Security.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Can't blame Teflon™ T*m.

I think he would make a good offensive assistant.

Sign him now and he can continue in playoffs.

I would 100% do that. I am surprised teams don't do short term contracts for the playoffs. An NFC coach for the super bowl...

Against an opponent they just played? 

Is sign him for $200k just to come look at tape 

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

What's Arians got to do with it? 

I agree.  He was kicked upstairs to satisfy T*m.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

I would 100% do that. I am surprised teams don't do short term contracts for the playoffs. An NFC coach for the super bowl...

Against an opponent they just played? 

Is sign him for $200k just to come look at tape 

The Pegulas have never been cheap.  It is a good way for Bills and him to see if they mesh well.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I agree.  He was kicked upstairs to satisfy T*m.

The Pegulas have never been cheap.  It is a good way for Bills and him to see if they mesh well.

... But it will never Happen.  Football isn't forward thinking like that. 

Also if Dorsey left he'd be ready to jump in already evaluated 

Edited by boyst

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Leftwich should have been made the HC last offseason and now they fire him as OC. Tampa will quickly flush back down into the bowl of anonymity. 

Well , having followed Leftwich from Marshall to Jax , he was overrated as a qb and it shows he depended on TB for success as an OC. TB was not as good and it’s not some mystery that Leftwich can’t sustain success?  Belicheck dropped off without TB as well.  Leftwich is not some great communicator ; he needs experience and polish before he can lead a franchise.

It took years fir Daboll to be  prepared and Leftwich and Dorsey should pay attention to that.  Why be in a hurry to get a position few hold onto for more than a couple of years ; wait to optimize your limited chances of. success. Reputations are hard to repair , if ever, and it takes great change.  Leftwich has plenty of time to get to be a head coach.  Ask McDaniels  who still is struggling with the raiders and he is running out of opportunities.   Chose your path carefully as you have limited chances to be seen as a success and it’s much easier to fail.  Daboll did it right and look at his chance to stick with the Giants; his maturity and the Giants success is no coincidence. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

If I were Tampa and Brady isn’t coming back I would just blow the whole thing up. Trade Evans and Godwin for a lot of draft picks and tank 2023. You got a Super Bowl in 2020 and a really good run to defend the title in 2021 but in 2022 Oline issues and age caught up with them.

Now they are in a position where without a vet QB they are better off getting what they can for the older players that can still go like Evans and Godwin and build to the 2024 draft where they can go after a young QB.

As far as a potential replacement for Dorsey, if Dorsey gets a HC job somewhere, the only real problem with Leftwich is that he'll probably be hired away in a year too.  The good side of that of course is the extra 3rd rounder the Bills would get for losing a black coordinator.  

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If I were Tampa and Brady isn’t coming back I would just blow the whole thing up. Trade Evans and Godwin for a lot of draft picks and tank 2023. You got a Super Bowl in 2020 and a really good run to defend the title in 2021 but in 2022 Oline issues and age caught up with them.

Now they are in a position where without a vet QB they are better off getting what they can for the older players that can still go like Evans and Godwin and build to the 2024 draft where they can go after a young QB.

I would agree. Blow it up. They stil have some good young defenders.  You can always find WR's.  Trade them for some assets and go get our next QB.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.