Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

"In" can be simply calling. Which I haven't denied they did. But you're implying there was more to it than that and I just don't see it. The disparity between what AZ is asking and what we can afford and/or be interested in doing given our circumstances is too great for me to believe it was anything more than that.

If there was a chance, Beane wouldn't have said what he said and Tim Graham wouldn't have reported what he reported. I also wouldn't point to us bringing back Smoke and Bease and talking to OBJ as "we've been in on every WR". There's tons of FA's that have signed this offseason that I'm sure we haven't talked to.

My point was that we’ve been “in” on getting more weapons for Allen since last season. It’s continued. Some/many of us believe it’s not enough. That a bigger splash is needed. That is debatable. But the fact is we still don’t have a legit #2 that churns our yards and first downs like we would like. At least haven’t found one yet. Beane has shown he msg had interest. He was in on OBJ talks going back to last year. He was in on talks regarding DHop. He’s picked up multiple FAs. The facts are there that he’s aware what we have hasn’t been enough. 

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

They think he'll be released and it's possible he signs with Pats or Chiefs under certain conditions. This is considered reporting now I guess

The Chiefs I could see but New England? Why would he goto a team that seems destined for last place in its division he just left that setup in Arizona 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

If he is released, there is no reason not to pursue this further. We wouldn't have to give up a thing and can possibly sign him to a better deal

1) he'd not be a comp pick factor

2) contract would be partially offset by Arizona's previous contract so we get him discounted. 

Does anyone know how much AZ guaranteed him? 

Edited by boyst

15 minutes ago, boyst said:

@Alphadawg7 so far nothing

Only some speculation by someone named Dan kleevman saying dhop could be released and the pats and chiefs are linked 

Actually, Dan K is quoting SI reporter Albert Breer, who is saying some teams think DHop will be released.  Ridiculous thought by some teams that may just be leaking this to reduce the price.

The supposed logic behind teams thinking DHop will be released is: “There’s nobody who was willing to take on Hopkins’ contract and pay the Cardinals initial asking price.”

Seems like a lot of negotiating room is being missed there- between initial asking price and release.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

If he is released, there is no reason not to pursue this further. We wouldn't have to give up a thing and can possibly sign him to a better deal

The Bills need to keep pursuing this prior to release.  IMO, if the Cards released DHop it would show an error from Beane.  IMO DHop is worth his salary and a low round pick.  If DHop is released it would be a free for all and auction that would be tough to win.

The price drops for how much of DHop's contract the acquiring team needs to pick up.  Since it is starting to look like the Cards do not want to pay, it is mostly a salary dump, then the deal can be a slightly increased version of the B Cooks deal.  But with the flexibility of negotiating before the trade, you can arrange it so DHop doesn't take a salary reduction but the cap hit could be better for us.  You can extend it out and give upfront signing bonuses and guarantees.

• Agree 3

maybe dhop and his agent are helping to force his way out by refusing to renegotiate his contract with any team interested in trading for him and spreading these stories ?

if a free agent....that could favor kc a little as they are likely to pay more than bills and he would immediately be their #1 WR......in buff he'd be #2WR

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

maybe dhop and his agent are helping to force his way out by refusing to renegotiate his contract with any team interested in trading for him and spreading these stories ?

if a free agent....that could favor kc a little as they are likely to pay more than bills and he would immediately be their #1 WR......in buff he'd be #2WR

He probably chose KC. They have an offense that's actually well-coached and they win Superbowls.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

At this point, I'm thinking that the end result will be DHop staying in Arizona under a reworked contract. 

If no one is meeting Arizona’s demands, the only leverage they have is to wait. Which they are. Somebody will answer the bell in a month.

If DHop does get traded, I believe it’ll happen the week of, or during the draft. 

I believe they will part ways for sure. Too much smoke, there has to be some fire there. But I firmly believe it’ll be during the draft when someone falls the way they want in the draft. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Wed be much better off offering something ughhhhhhhhh. If he gets released I think it's 0% we get him. Just seems that way in my head.

Maybe If released though we can structure a deal better than the deal we'd be trading for. Maybe that's the hold up. Man I want this bad

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Wed be much better off offering something ughhhhhhhhh. If he gets released I think it's 0% we get him. Just seems that way in my head.

Maybe If released though we can structure a deal better than the deal we'd be trading for. Maybe that's the hold up. Man I want this bad

Yeah. If he’s released we’re not gonna get him. Lol. Some team will overpay for him. Which is really the issue. get him for minimal draft picks but eat his contract. Or the cards will eat some of the contract but they want more in return. 

• Agree 1

I'm starting to wonder if the allure for Beane was to offer a Day 3 pick in exchange for Arizona eating half his salary for '23 - that giving us a star WR this year for around 10M and next year for 15M.  

If Arizona won't budge and/or releases him, I'm pretty confident Hopkins isn't coming here given our financial constraints and a potential bidding war. 

Edited by SCBills

52 minutes ago, Airseven said:

If no one is meeting Arizona’s demands, the only leverage they have is to wait. Which they are. Somebody will answer the bell in a month.

if i'm AZ i wait until the season starts and look for a team on the bubble. i call up jacksonville after a couple of losses and say "give us a second and he's yours."

10 minutes ago, boyst said:

if i'm AZ i wait until the season starts and look for a team on the bubble. i call up jacksonville after a couple of losses and say "give us a second and he's yours."

Yeah but they likely want picks for this year. Get guys in there now so that next year when their midget QB comes back they can hit the ground running. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah but they likely want picks for this year. Get guys in there now so that next year when their midget QB comes back they can hit the ground running. 

new head coach - yeah. but i don't know that htey'll get that and a bird in the hand is worth twice in the bush. the new coach may want to try his hands on working with the super star.

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

new head coach - yeah. but i don't know that htey'll get that and a bird in the hand is worth twice in the bush. the new coach may want to try his hands on working with the super star.

Sounds like it’s a pretty rough relationship. I’d bet they cut ties at draft time. 

56 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

That makes most of us

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, boyst said:

1) he'd not be a comp pick factor

2) contract would be partially offset by Arizona's previous contract so we get him discounted. 

Does anyone know how much AZ guaranteed him? 

42.75m.

49.4m total vested.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, papazoid said:

not an easy decision for beane

do you want to spend $6-8mil/yr or more on dhop or 1 really good player

or sign 3-4 veteran free agents  at $2/mil each....

With the state of our offense and what we need. I’d say go with the proven star WR. Give your star QB weapons. And then in the draft, double down and take more weapons and help on OL. 

They won’t do any of that tho. They will likely draft 2 defensive players in the first 3 rounds is my guess. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, mrags said:

With the state of our offense and what we need. I’d say go with the proven star WR. Give your star QB weapons. And then in the draft, double down and take more weapons and help on OL. 

They won’t do any of that tho. They will likely draft 2 defensive players in the first 3 rounds is my guess. 

I hate this take.

You're probably right... But I hate it anyways 😆.

Edited by The Wiz

I don't think Beane is spending any time thinking about a Hopkins trade anymore.  He no doubt listened to Arizona's wants, maybe offered them an

idea where his thoughts are, and it sat there.

He's concerned now about the draft and what to do immediately after.  Unless big changes in Arizona happen, that's where it lies.

• Agree 4

54 minutes ago, mrags said:

I agree with ya. To be honest, I don’t have trust in this staff drafting a player we can lean on this season. 

• Thank you (+1) 2