Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Saffold was beat off the snap and Allen's arm was getting hit as he threw it. You're being unrealistic.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect a supposedly elite qb to make plays in tough conditions to advance his team.

Of course they have to surround Allen with talent. But everyone keeps going on and on about getting elite positions all over the place. Allen is supposed to be elite. Elite qb’s elevate their teams. Not the other way around. He doesn’t need the whole team to be superior to win a superbowl. He’s not Trent Dilfer.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Could he have been in the area for a physical?? Was him and his team in the area to have trade talks? Cardinals granted him permission to talk with teams🤔

Does talking include visiting and physical?

Honestly questioning.

Normally, trades are completed after the physical examination is completed and the player is cleared but the deal is usually already announced prior to that.

46 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Their line is great in the interior. Their tackles are meh. Evidence by both not resigned this offseason. Mahomes style of play mask a lot of the tackles mistakes. He seems to have a sixth sense of where pressure is coming from and evades it.

Allen is just as mobile if not more. He can improve on getting a better feel for pressure in the pocket to evade. While Dorsey does need to improve next year with play calling Allen has to shoulder some of the offensive inefficiency blame. There were guys underneath all season that were missed and drives stalled. Including the Bengals game. That has to change. If Allen hit Diggs, who was wide open, on that first drive in the Bengals game it may have turned out differently. An elite qb cannot miss that in a playoff game. It’s not all on Dorsey. 

The Chiefs two Offensive Tackles last season were better as a tandem then the Bills two tackles and it wasn't even close.  The only reason the Chiefs didn't resign their guys was that they had gotten to expensive.  In fact the Chiefs tried to resign Brown but there was no way they could afford to pay him what the Bengals did.

Also, pressure up the middle is far worse then pressure around the end for QB's like Mahomes & Allen.  The number of times in the Bengal's game that Allen was under duress almost immediately on the interior of the O line was ridiculous. That pressure had a huge impact on Allen's game.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Facts are you guys are not watching the games or not understanding what you’re watching. Their tackles were so great they let them go this offseason. One to the Bengals of all places. Going to be interesting how that will work out with Burrow being a statue.

this is one huge big line of BS. feed it to someone who does not know better.

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The Chiefs two Offensive Tackles last season were better as a tandem then the Bills two tackles and it wasn't even close.  The only reason the Chiefs didn't resign their guys was that they had gotten to expensive.  In fact the Chiefs tried to resign Brown but there was no way they could afford to pay him what the Bengals did.

Also, pressure up the middle is far worse then pressure around the end for QB's like Mahomes & Allen.  The number of times in the Bengal's game that Allen was under duress almost immediately on the interior of the O line was ridiculous. That pressure had a huge impact on Allen's game.

100% agree

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect a supposedly elite qb to make plays in tough conditions to advance his team.

Of course they have to surround Allen with talent. But everyone keeps going on and on about getting elite positions all over the place. Allen is supposed to be elite. Elite qb’s elevate their teams. Not the other way around. He doesn’t need the whole team to be superior to win a superbowl. He’s not Trent Dilfer.

Allen isn't supposed to be elite, he is Elite.

Allen does elevate his team.  The Bills would be a 5 - 7 win team fighting to avoid last place in the AFC East without him.

Allen has played very well in the playoffs.  He is more then "good enough" to lead Buffalo to the Super Bowl.  But all you have to do is take a look at the teams that have played in the last 3 SB's to see just how deficient Allen's supporting offensive cast is versus those teams.

I'm sorry but you don't sound like a Bills fan to me.  Sure there are legitimate criticisms of Allen's game and he could improve certain aspects of it.  But your persistent passive/aggressive attacks on Allen, laying almost all the blame on the guy makes me wonder whether you really are a Bills fan.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

You realized they signed Brown’s replacement for more money right? They let him walk because he thought he was better than he is and the market told him nah.

Completely agree with you on interior pressure. Hoping they can draft/sign a couple more ol cuz I’m not sure what they’ve done so far is enough. 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah I figured you would miss the point. See ya.

Like the point made about bad receivers being household names?

yeah see ya

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Allen isn't supposed to be elite, he is Elite.

Allen does elevate his team.  The Bills would be a 5 - 7 win team fighting to avoid last place in the AFC East without him.

Allen has played very well in the playoffs.  He is more then "good enough" to lead Buffalo to the Super Bowl.  But all you have to do is take a look at the teams that have played in the last 3 SB's to see just how deficient Allen's supporting offensive cast is versus those teams.

I'm sorry but you don't sound like a Bills fan to me.  Sure there are legitimate criticisms of Allen's game and he could improve certain aspects of it.  But your persistent passive/aggressive attacks on Allen, laying almost all the blame on the guy makes me wonder whether you really are a Bills fan.

I know he is elite. By holding him to a higher standard I’m treating him more of an elite qb than most here who just want to coddle and give him passes. Of course he’s good enough to lead the Bills to a superbowl. I’ve said this multiple times. The line needs to be better. I argue that his receiver corp, including Knox, is very good. He needs to maximize them.

Just he because I hold my elite qb accountable doesn’t mean I’m not rooting for him and the team. I’m not blinded by fandom so much that I can’t see reality. And reality is this team has underperformed and there’s blame across the board. 

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

Their line is great in the interior. Their tackles are meh. Evidence by both not resigned this offseason. Mahomes style of play mask a lot of the tackles mistakes. He seems to have a sixth sense of where pressure is coming from and evades it.

Allen is just as mobile if not more. He can improve on getting a better feel for pressure in the pocket to evade. While Dorsey does need to improve next year with play calling Allen has to shoulder some of the offensive inefficiency blame. There were guys underneath all season that were missed and drives stalled. Including the Bengals game. That has to change. If Allen hit Diggs, who was wide open, on that first drive in the Bengals game it may have turned out differently. An elite qb cannot miss that in a playoff game. It’s not all on Dorsey. 

Mahomes misses throws all the time. Folks don't remark upon it when your team ultimately wins. I do agree that Allen needs to take the small stuff. He did that impressively in the perfect game against the Pats* and was playing as well as a qb can play in the 13 seconds fiasco. What happened after that? Daboll left for the Giants' job. Dorsey was hired to maintain continuity, but inevitably, there were significant differences. Dorsey may grow into a top OC. He's not there yet. Dorsey does not blend the running game and the passing offense into a cohesive attack. The calls are too random, the RZ offense is very predictable, and Dorsey does not sufficiently make use of pass catching rbs or Knox in general. However much that was dictated by Allen's injury and a bad oline, I don't know, but he needs to improve.

Josh Allen does also need to make the whole field dangerous by utilizing short passes and targeting Knox more often when he is open. Allen is not elusive in the way that Mahomes is elusive. Mahomes is like a snake, slippery and annoying. Allen is a bull with surprising speed and athleticism.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

You realized they signed Brown’s replacement for more money right? They let him walk because he thought he was better than he is and the market told him nah.

Completely agree with you on interior pressure. Hoping they can draft/sign a couple more ol cuz I’m not sure what they’ve done so far is enough. 

Like the point made about bad receivers being household names?

yeah see ya

Sir, I have read all your replies so far with this new account... Did you make a new account just to go out and annoy the top writers are on these boards, or did you make an account to try and understand and keep an open minded... cause It seems to me your leading the line of not being open minded on topics. and to people with new accounts on these boards.. you can lose credibility really fast..

Now All that being said. I see your point where just because you see what you feel is not a good product on the field does not mean anything to how others feel about our current situation.

Anyhow Best of luck mate

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Sir, I have read all your replies so far with this new account... Did you make a new account just to go out and annoy the top writers are on these boards, or did you make an account to try and understand and keep an open minded... cause It seems to me your leading the line of not being open minded on topics. and to people with new accounts on these boards.. you can lose credibility really fast..

Now All that being said. I see your point where just because you see what you feel is not a good product on the field does not mean anything to how others feel about our current situation.

Anyhow Best of luck mate

I thought I was engaging with other fans of the team I root for. Is this not the place to do that? Having a different pov and being critical of the team and its players would lose credibility?

Appreciate you reading my posts. 

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Mahomes misses throws all the time. Folks don't remark upon it when your team ultimately wins. I do agree that Allen needs to take the small stuff. He did that impressively in the perfect game against the Pats* and was playing as well as a qb can play in the 13 seconds fiasco. What happened after that? Daboll left for the Giants' job. Dorsey was hired to maintain continuity, but inevitably, there were significant differences. Dorsey may grow into a top OC. He's not there yet. Dorsey does not blend the running game and the passing offense into a cohesive attack. The calls are too random, the RZ offense is very predictable, and Dorsey does not sufficiently make use of pass catching rbs or Knox in general. However much that was dictated by Allen's injury and a bad oline, I don't know, but he needs to improve.

Josh Allen does also need to make the whole field dangerous by utilizing short passes and targeting Knox more often when he is open. Allen is not elusive in the way that Mahomes is elusive. Mahomes is like a snake, slippery and annoying. Allen is a bull with surprising speed and athleticism.

Yes! Thank you good Dr! This is what I’m saying. Dorsey clearly has to improve as a playcaller. When Allen start using the short stuffs in tandem with the long shots I think this team would be on a whole new level. Here’s hoping that next year we’ll see it more consistently.

I guess I’m still pissed about the Bengals game. More upset than the 13sec game.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I thought I was engaging with other fans of the team I root for. Is this not the place to do that? Having a different pov and being critical of the team and its players would lose credibility?

Appreciate you reading my posts. 

I think you were just coming out negative more than anything.. Again the issue is... people around here are warry of new accounts :D  Take a deep breath man. take time to read other posts and think about it instead of knee jerk reactions

anyhow :D 

cheers

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Can we change the title of this thread? I don’t think the last few pages have even been about Hopkins.

You're going to trigger @4merper4mer. There's nothing going on with Hopkins. Probably nothing will happen. It's the nature of discursive conversation to ramble into side paths and down various annoying rabbit holes. It's the human way. If you want linear, logical, single-minded univocal consistency, try a different species.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

You're going to trigger @4merper4mer. There's nothing going on with Hopkins. Probably nothing will happen. It's the nature of discursive conversation to ramble into side paths and down various annoying rabbit holes. It's the human way. If you want linear, logical, single-minded univocal consistency, try a different species.

You are right.  What the board should probably do is to simply not have thread titles at all.

20 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think you were just coming out negative more than anything.. Again the issue is... people around here are warry of new accounts :D  Take a deep breath man. take time to read other posts and think about it instead of knee jerk reactions

anyhow :D 

cheers

Breathing deeply now. 😂 

Hey just doing my part for this thread until Bills trade Davis for DHop straight up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

You are right.  What the board should probably do is to simply not have thread titles at all.

I take thread titles to be indicative of the central theme with the likelihood that numerous extraneous conversations will intrude. When something really happens or is rumored to be happening, the collective will focus. Otherwise, they are going to wander.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 90sBills said:

They also hit on Nick Bolton and Willie Gay at LBs. Sneed and Mcduffie at CBs. Thornhill and Cook at safeties. I think they hit on quite a bit. That’s why I’m puzzled as to how McD can’t do this being a defensive guru.

I agree with what you say about McDermott.  He’s been given an enormous amount of resources, and unlike the Chiefs, the defense dominates in the regular season and is meh to bad in the postseason. 

The reason I don’t list guys like Bolton, Thornhill etc., is because if Chris Jones gets hurt, their defense would get wrecked by a good offense.   Similar to what we saw without Von Miller.  

You need good coaching and a couple elite game-changers.  All the “good” defenders in the world can’t stop a great offense that’s locked in, without a game-wrecker or two up front.  

The Chiefs have Spags and Jones.  They’ve also made sure they have a Frank Clark or Melvin Ingram.  

It’s why I don’t understand the angst over MLB.  Making sure we have some game-wreckers on the DL is far more important than Jack Campbell at MLB… what’s he gonna do against the Chiefs or Bengals if Von is out?  Nothing. 

Now Drew Sanders can rush the passer… I’m intrigued by him.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I agree with what you say about McDermott.  He’s been given an enormous amount of resources, and unlike the Chiefs, the defense dominates in the regular season and is meh to bad in the postseason. 

The reason I don’t list guys like Bolton, Thornhill etc., is because if Chris Jones gets hurt, their defense would get wrecked by a good offense.   Similar to what we saw without Von Miller.  

You need good coaching and a couple elite game-changers.  All the “good” defenders in the world can’t stop a great offense that’s locked in, without a game-wrecker or two up front.  

The Chiefs have Spags and Jones.  They’ve also made sure they have a Frank Clark or Melvin Ingram.  

It’s why I don’t understand the angst over MLB.  Making sure we have some game-wreckers on the DL is far more important than Jack Campbell at MLB… what’s he gonna do against the Chiefs or Bengals if Von is out?  Nothing. 

Yeah agree about Jones. He’s their big impact player. Line play on both sides determine so much of the game. Von was so good in that game against KC. It was probably his best showing against Mahomes. Hopefully he can come back to be the same player. Finding a few more contributors on DL would go a long way next season. That’s why I wasn’t too excited when the defense ranked high during the regular season. I don’t think a true dominant defense exists in today’s NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Does talking include visiting and physical?

Honestly questioning.

Normally, trades are completed after the physical examination is completed and the player is cleared but the deal is usually already announced prior to that.

I'm not sure how it works. Just funny that he's visiting Toronto this time of year. Diggs put out the "perfect timing" tweet. Now I'm seeing the "rescue me" tweet as well. Just doing my inner Encyclopedia Brown 😂

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

This thread is a nasty habit. The thing that really hooked me was Stevie Johnson saying "Hop was on his way". 

An obvious reference to the Easter Bunny.

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Agree with this. And not just Jones/Spags, but more specifically the mindset and awareness to GET AFTER THE QB. Spags aggressiveness has been proven time and time again in post season play. See Giants vs Pats and now KC - twice.

In today's NFL you do not have a great D, just one that understands the premium of disrupting the oppositions QB in timely and creative ways.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Even then, Mahomes has a superior oline and Andy Reid. And the Chiefs do get timely calls. They are now that team the way it used to be the Pats*. This is a combination of favored status as a marquee franchise with a superlative qb and coach and zebra incompetency. Allen is asked to play superhuman for the Bills to win and as the stakes are ratcheted up, the weight of that ask increases exponentially. I don't grant your premise. Bills have a porous oline, Ken Dorsey on a learning curve and unproven, along with a defensive-minded coaching staff that routinely falls flat in the postseason synchronous with an era where the league is set up for offense to win championships.

Such a good post. 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

In the Bengals Chiefs game Mahomes was kinda average as well. The difference is his defense only allowed the Bengals 20 total points. 
The three times the Bills were within one score in the Bengals game 7-0, 14-7, 17-10 the defense gave up a score on the very next possession. 

Cause as Greg Cosell and Chris Simms have consistently pointed out he’s asked to do more than any qb they’ve ever seen cause the GM and Coach have a bug for being defense first people.  

I guess neither of those 2 noticed Lamar Jackson in 2019 and Russel Wilson in 2018.  

come on...

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The dreaded 187 page…thread is dead.  

Deader than the idea we're going to trade for Hopkins. 

It was fun for a couple days when he made his post and the "reports" came out. 

I'd bet we made a call when it was initially being reported that they'd essentially have to give him away. But when we called and found out the actual cost, which was more than was ever reported before, Beane said "cool, nice talk" and that was that.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Deader than the idea we're going to trade for Hopkins. 

It was fun for a couple days when he made his post and the "reports" came out. 

I'd bet we made a call when it was initially being reported that they'd essentially have to give him away. But when we called and found out the actual cost, which was more than was ever reported before, Beane said "cool, nice talk" and that was that.

I think there was probably more than that going on. 

I think the Bills may well land Hop but I doubt anything happens before the draft. For sure Zona is going to move him but they have yet to get serious. They will have to eat some of that contract question remaining is just how much. Getting Hop would fit with Beane’s direction in FA. He’s gone after veteran players who he probably feels are better playmakers than we’ve had. That drift began with NH for Moss in 2022.

There is not one alpha stud receiver in this draft class, no Julio Jones who you can be sure can contribute in that high profile role right away so again I wouldn’t be surprised if Beane looked to FA for the #2 receiver he needs to continue his transformation of this offence. 

10 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I think the Bills may well land Hop but I doubt anything happens before the draft. For sure Zona is going to move him but they have yet to get serious. They will have to eat some of that contract question remaining is just how much. Getting Hop would fit with Beane’s direction in FA. He’s gone after veteran players who he probably feels are better playmakers than we’ve had. That drift began with NH for Moss in 2022.

There is not one alpha stud receiver in this draft class, no Julio Jones who you can be sure can contribute in that high profile role right away so again I wouldn’t be surprised if Beane looked to FA for the #2 receiver he needs to continue his transformation of this offence. 

I disagree in that I think there are a few guys in round 1 who can be WR2/3 right away, which is all we really need - another top 3 WR who is ideally a great WR2. 

I agree with you in that I bet Beane sits to see if any of his guys make it to 27 before pulling the trigger on a Hopkins trade. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mrags said:

I think there was probably more than that going on. 

I don't. It was Wednesday when everyone started connecting dots and "reporters" started reporting we were in. By early Friday morning, a Chiefs beat reporter had reported the price was too high and that the Chiefs and the entire league were out. Later on Friday, an ESPN reporter stated that they were looking for a "Christian McCaffrey like trade package".

Then it was silence. Followed by Brandon Beane saying that when you hear we're in on stuff on Social Media, we've probably only done about 1% of the work that's reported. 

Beane has often said when he calls to check on things, if the price is too high, that's that. Clearly, if he called, he'd have heard what they were asking and that would be the end of that. We would not and could not come anywhere near that. Given our cap situation, the holes we have to fill, and the draft capital we have.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't. It was Wednesday when everyone started connecting dots and "reporters" started reporting we were in. By early Friday morning, a Chiefs beat reporter had reported the price was too high and that the Chiefs and the entire league were out. Later on Friday, an ESPN reporter stated that they were looking for a "Christian McCaffrey like trade package".

Then it was silence. Followed by Brandon Beane saying that when you hear we're in on stuff on Social Media, we've probably only done about 1% of the work that's reported. 

Beane has often said when he calls to check on things, if the price is too high, that's that. Clearly, if he called, he'd have heard what they were asking and that would be the end of that. We would not and could not come anywhere near that.

He’s been in on just about every available WR going back to last year. They resigned Bease and Brown when they knew they didn’t have the wheels to keep the O churning. They were “in” on OBJ until they realized he wasn’t ready last season. They’ve picked up 2 FAs so far and have been talked about with every other FA WR worth a damn. I’d say they did more than ask. 

17 minutes ago, mrags said:

He’s been in on just about every available WR going back to last year. They resigned Bease and Brown when they knew they didn’t have the wheels to keep the O churning. They were “in” on OBJ until they realized he wasn’t ready last season. They’ve picked up 2 FAs so far and have been talked about with every other FA WR worth a damn. I’d say they did more than ask. 

"In" can be simply calling. Which I haven't denied they did. But you're implying there was more to it than that and I just don't see it. The disparity between what AZ is asking and what we can afford and/or be interested in doing given our circumstances is too great for me to believe it was anything more than that.

If there was a chance, Beane wouldn't have said what he said and Tim Graham wouldn't have reported what he reported. I also wouldn't point to us bringing back Smoke and Bease and talking to OBJ as "we've been in on every WR". There's tons of FA's that have signed this offseason that I'm sure we haven't talked to.