Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

32 minutes ago, mrags said:

It would also cost us a lot more in terms of salary cap though. 

the only way I see this happening for the Bills is if the Texans just want out and are willing to eat some salary. and that’s with a trade. Being cut won’t do it because Hopkins will get as much or more most likely on the open market. Unless he just wants to go after a ring and thinks we’re the best team to deliver that. Who knows.  It I’m gonna assume he’d not take a friendly enough offer that would fit in our cap restraints. 

I  agree we would obviously have to redo his contract and make as much as possible of it signing bonus / get Arizona to eat a bunch of the cap otherwise. Teams make signings / trades like this and get them to circumvent the cap all the time. I don't see how Buffalo couldn't make it work either. Hopkins has been quoted earlier in the off season to be willing to restructure/ renegotiate his contract to go to the Cowboys perhaps he is willing to do that with other teams as well. 

Edited by dje85

2 hours ago, dje85 said:

I  agree we would obviously have to redo his contract and make as much as possible of it signing bonus / get Arizona to eat a bunch of the cap otherwise. Teams make signings / trades like this and get them to circumvent the cap all the time. I don't see how Buffalo couldn't make it work either. Hopkins has been quoted earlier in the off season to be willing to restructure/ renegotiate his contract to go to the Cowboys perhaps he is willing to do that with other teams as well. 

Deal like this do happen all the time in the nfl. Regarding restructures, and the team trading players eating money. I was simply stating that if he’s cut, it’s less likely to happen because he doesn’t need to take a paycut/restructure. He can work any deal he pleases and chances are based on the OBJ deal, he’s going to make more than we’re able to pay. The only real way I see this happening is a trade with Ari and then eating contract. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I’m trying to understand why ARI would cut him. Get something in return.

Still holding out hope for a 3-team trade sending Hopkins to BUF, Oliver to CHI, and draft picks to ARI. 

If I remember, if he's designated as a post June 1st cut they save the most $ ?  

I really like the idea of trading Oliver for a pick and using that pick to get Hopkins.

I'm done with Ed.  We can draft a larger DT in the mid rounds that can have as much or more impact than Oliver

His show me the $$$ antics on IG after he got absolutely DESTROYED by the Bengals backup OL. 

He has no value when DaQuan isn't next to him.  He shows up for 3 games per season. 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Bills Trade Proposal Lands DeAndre Hopkins and No. 3 overall Pick from Arizona for Rising Star and multiple draft picks

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-trade-deandre-hopkins-gregory-rousseau/

Take Rousseau out of the trade, put Oliver w/ extension in.   I still wouldn't do it. The only reason you trade that high is for a QB

7 hours ago, papazoid said:

Bills Trade Proposal Lands DeAndre Hopkins and No. 3 overall Pick from Arizona for Rising Star and multiple draft picks

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-trade-deandre-hopkins-gregory-rousseau/

this is never happening, but fun to consider..

i would actually do this. then with the #3 i would trade down to a QB needy team, still inside top 10, recoup a pick(at least a 2nd)  and take the best OT

then i would wind up with an Elite WR#1A and a  cornerstone OT

protect josh AND give him a weapon....the year of the offense

shake things up....thats going for it

11 minutes ago, papazoid said:

this is never happening, but fun to consider..

i would actually do this. then with the #3 i would trade down to a QB needy team, still inside top 10, recoup a pick(at least a 2nd)  and take the best OT

then i would wind up with an Elite WR#1A and a  cornerstone OT

protect josh AND give him a weapon....the year of the offense

shake things up....thats going for it

Ok. Putting it that way it makes a little more sense.  I still wouldn’t do with groot tho. Oliver. I’m in. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, papazoid said:

In this case we could use the 3rd overall to draft a pass rusher to replace Rousseau and that would mean that Hopkins only costs us two firsts and two seconds!

Or we could just wait for the Cards to cut him.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Haha (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

In this case we could use the 3rd overall to draft a pass rusher to replace Rousseau and that would mean that Hopkins only costs us two firsts and two seconds!

Or we could just wait for the Cards to cut him.

Yeah that trade is terrible.  Good lord

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Adam Schefter's words: "No the Bills will not be trading for DeAndre Hopkins."

Man it's starting to feel certain that Gabe Davis is going to be locked in as our #2 WR this year...

Waiting for someone to say Adam Schefter doesn't know what he's talking about and isn't connected and repost an old ErieCountyBulls tweet.

After the OBJ deal was done, this idea that Hopkins would take a team friendly deal (which was out there to begin with) went out the window. If there isn't a team in the league that will pay Arizona's cost and Hopkins price - we surely won't. 

That said, I'm still pretty confident we'll be taking a WR in Round 1 (maybe even trading up) or Round 2. Gabe was never going to be completely benched. He'll still get a good amount of reps as a 2A or 2B.

But I think after it was clear they couldn't get Hopkins or OBJ done, the mentality is "on to the Draft".

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Waiting for someone to say Adam Schefter doesn't know what he's talking about and isn't connected and repost an old ErieCountyBulls tweet.

After the OBJ deal was done, this idea that Hopkins would take a team friendly deal (which was out there to begin with) went out the window. If there isn't a team in the league that will pay Arizona's cost and Hopkins price - we surely won't. 

That said, I'm still pretty confident we'll be taking a WR in Round 1 (maybe even trading up) or Round 2. Gabe was never going to be completely benched. He'll still get a good amount of reps as a 2A or 2B.

But I think after it was clear they couldn't get Hopkins or OBJ done, the mentality is "on to the Draft".

Adam Shefter doesn't know what he is talking about 

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That's disappointing. Getting one of Hopkins, Jeudy, or OBJ is the only way our offense could have kept up with some of the other contenders. Beane should have done what was needed to make that happen. Another season of Davis as the #2... ugh.

I'm holding out hope that Beane will make a draft weekend trade for Hopkins or Jeudy if he can't get his target in the 1st round. If they come away with Quentin Johnston, or at least Addison or Hyatt, I'm good with that. If they don't draft a WR in the 1st round and head into the season with our WR room as it stands today it just isn't good enough IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

That's disappointing. Getting one of Hopkins, Jeudy, or OBJ is the only way our offense could have kept up with some of the other contenders. Beane should have done what was needed to make that happen. Another season of Davis as the #2... ugh.

I'm holding out hope that Beane will make a draft weekend trade for Hopkins or Jeudy if he can't get his target in the 1st round. If they come away with Quentin Johnston, or at least Addison or Hyatt, I'm good with that. If they don't draft a WR in the 1st round and head into the season with our WR room as it stands today it just isn't good enough IMO.

Draft Dalton Kincaid and make 12 personnel your base formation.

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'd definitely be good with that. I just want a sign that Beane knows Davis is not good enough to be our #2 target and the skill position talent is below that of other championship contenders. Harty and Sherfield have upgraded the #4 and #5 WR roles. But after Diggs our top end potential is too low to keep up with the rest of the league.

Acquiring Hopkins or OBJ or Jeudy would have required us to overpay. Just once I'd like Beane to accept a single overpay on offense to put us over the top.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm still hoping for DHop or Jeudy too.  I don't think we're out of it until after the draft.  Schefter's reasoning was suspect - the Bills have the want, and a way to get the funds.  He didn't say what the Bills were missing.

As for the draft, I differ with you there - I don't think the Bills would (or should) select Hyatt or Q Johnston over Jack Campbell.  And yes, while the WR group would be a little disappointing it would be on par with what we had last year - and we were good last year.

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

And yes, while the WR group would be a little disappointing it would be on par with what we had last year - and we were good last year.

"Good" isn't good enough. If you look at almost any Super Bowl winner from this millennium, they had either an elite offensive line or an elite group of skill position players, or in some cases both. The Bills have neither. We have the QB. We are missing the other elite piece that most championship contenders have on their offense. We still have a chance to get to that level. I hope Beane does what it takes.

Giving Davis his opportunity to be the #2 was at least logical after his showing in the 2021 playoffs. Doing the same this season after his performance in 2022 is inexcusable IMO.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

"Good" isn't good enough. If you look at almost any Super Bowl winner from this millennium, they had either an elite offensive line or an elite group of skill position players, or in some cases both. The Bills have neither. We have the QB. We are missing the other elite piece that most championship contenders have on their offense. We still have a chance to get to that level. I hope Beane does what it takes.

Giving Davis his opportunity to be the #2 was at least logical after his showing in the 2021 playoffs. Doing the same this season after his performance in 2022 is inexcusable IMO.

The chiefs had one all pro starter and meh receivers. They had 3 pro bowl o line, the same as we did. Those Pats teams had Gronk and whatever. 

do the Bills need more firepower? Absolutely. But when your qb makes big money, you aren’t going to have elite talent all around them. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The chiefs had one all pro starter and meh receivers. They had 3 pro bowl o line, the same as we did. Those Pats teams had Gronk and whatever. 

do the Bills need more firepower? Absolutely. But when your qb makes big money, you aren’t going to have elite talent all around them. 

The Chiefs had a much better oline and Andy Reid calling plays.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

This is really my favorite scenario tbh.  I really can’t see him falling to us.  There’s a gauntlet of teams before us that are in need of playmakers.  

Just now, NewEra said:

This is really my favorite scenario tbh.  I really can’t see him falling to us.  There’s a gauntlet of teams before us that are in need of playmakers.  

I'm secretly hoping the rumors of a trade up are to go and get this guy.

Doesn't look like he's had a visit, though, and I think I read we normally pick one of the fellas among the allowed 30 visits.

Also, of course, they are going to have to resist taking a second round lb in the first like some folks on here advocate.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

You're joking with this, right?

He probably isn't, but he's wrong altogether so might as well be wrong there, too.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I'm secretly hoping the rumors of a trade up are to go and get this guy.

Doesn't look like he's had a visit, though, and I think I read we normally pick one of the fellas among the allowed 30 visits.

Also, of course, they are going to have to resist taking a second round lb in the first like some folks on here advocate.

One of the great posters on these boards

mentioned how we reported Elam as a top 30 visit very late in the process….so keep an eye on if Kincaid is reported closer to the draft

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

We simply couldn't/can't afford OBJ or Hopkins. Jerry Jeudy isn't available. I don't know where the idea came from. But logically - it doesn't make sense. Sean Payton came out of "Retirement" to team up with Russell Wilson and revitalize his career following last season. Why would he then trade away Russ' #1 WR? Never made sense to me to begin with and then he outwardly said Jeudy isn't going anywhere:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35961376/sean-payton-broncos-not-trading-jerry-jeudy-courtland-sutton

But the fact that he did look into OBJ and Hopkins says to me that they will look to Draft one of those guys early. My hope is that the reports of teams not being as high on the 1st Round WR's is true and that they fall, JSN and Flowers are the first to go, and Johnston either falls right to us or comes close enough that we wouldn't have to spend too much to move up and get him.

Or since we've done such work on JSN and Flowers, maybe he views Harty as more of an outside Deep Threat than a Slot. In which case, maybe he takes a JSN or a Flowers to put in the Slot and Harty and Davis split the 2 Spot on the Outside. With Diggs and either JSN or Flowers being his go to guys.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

48 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

DHop is getting traded or cut this year. I'm surprised he stayed away from the Cardinals offseason activities that started yesterday. I'd be there lifting heavy and going all out. Cut me or trade me - or risk having to pay me.

Does he even have to do anything at this point and will still get paid.

He has $19m guaranteed this season.  Even if they fine him for every practice, meeting game he misses they still have to pay him that part of it, don't they?

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Please find a way to add 2 marque offensive playmakers 

2 marquee offensive playmakers is a big ask. Unless one of them succeeds expectation selected in the 3rd or 4th Rounds, we have to get a LB to replace Edmunds and at least get some depth on the OL in this Draft too. So we can't go back to back on Pass Catchers.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

2 marquee offensive playmakers is a big ask. Unless one of them succeeds expectation selected in the 3rd or 4th Rounds, we have to get a LB to replace Edmunds and at least get some depth on the OL in this Draft too. So we can't go back to back on Pass Catchers.

we could get lucky and one of them is Harty or Sherfield

I’d go TE & WR in rounds 1 and 2

if the value were there

Kincaid + Hyatt 😈

more realistic would be Mingo in the mid rounds and hope he’s AJ Brown or DK Metcalf. Something about those big Ole Miss WR’s…

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

the chappelle show tyrone biggums GIF
The OL comment should get you suspended for a year.  

And no mention on Andy Reid vs Dorsey 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Does he even have to do anything at this point and will still get paid.

He has $19m guaranteed this season.  Even if they fine him for every practice, meeting game he misses they still have to pay him that part of it, don't they?

No, none of his $19.45M salary is guaranteed. LINK

Thats why the Cardinals have to get a deal done soon. They can’t risk him coming in to work out or practice. They could wind up on the hook for his whole salary if he gets injured. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

we could get lucky and one of them is Harty or Sherfield

I’d go TE & WR in rounds 1 and 2

if the value were there

Kincaid + Hyatt 😈

I think Harty could be. The cost Beane paid says to me he believes he could be too and other people around the league felt the same.

I think we will take a WR and a TE in this Draft. But with the glaring hole at MLB, I don't think we wait until Round 3 to address it. Especially if we take a weapon with our 1st Pick. 

• Like (+1) 1