NFL Resolution to Adjust the AFC Playoffs- Poll

Rocky Landing

Consensus on Adjusted AFC Playoff Resolution  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with the NFL's decision, and method to adjust the AFC playoffs as a result of the Bills v. Bengals game?

• Yes. I am satisfied with the decision.
    • No. The Bills v. Bengals game should have been canceled, but the NFL should have handled the situation differently.
    • No. The Bill v. Bengals game should have been rescheduled.
    • No. The Bills v. Bengals game should have resumed on MNF, after Hamlin was taken to the hospital.

24 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I am fine with 90% of it.  They did exactly what I expected.  

My only real complaint is I think it screwed over Cincinnati to much.

Although I hate it - I would have been all for additional neutral site games of Buffalo/Cincinnati as that game could have gone either way and that impacts everything.

I am glad they followed the rules as laid out and then looked at ways to adjust and I think given the terrible situation- the NFL tried and did an excellent job.

I just feel for Cincinnati a bit right now.  Good guys, Good Coach and took one on the chin for us - just as we did for KC.

I agree. Really, there just isn't a resolution that doesn't hurt some team. It suck that both the Bills and the Bengals suffered-- but it was our game that began the issue. I hate that KC gets handed the #1 seed. It would have been nice to be able to either replay, or resume the game next week, but I don't see how that could happen without either compressing the schedule for the Bills, and Bengals (which would likely be a worse outcome for both teams), or postponing the playoffs, which would be unfair to at least the NFC #1 seed, who wouldn't get to play a game for three weeks. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t think any team (Chiefs, Ravens) should benefit from the Bills and Bengals choosing humanity and integrity over selfishness and greed.  That being said, Hamlin is on the path to recovery, which is the biggest victory in Buffalo Bills history.  At this point, I consider everything else that’s playoff football related to be increasingly trivial.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The last thing I wanted was the game to be played again regardless of the outcome people would have been upset because it was not played on the Monday. And the schedule is completely thrown upside down.

Really I'm not too worried about Cincinnati as I expect them to have no issues with Baltimore. The issue obviously will be coming to Buffalo and if that happens then thinking that they may have been screwed somehow.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I agree it's the fairest solution, but it's tough to stomach the Chiefs benefitting the most from it, especially since they've looked like crap while barely beating one cupcake after another for much of the second half of the season.  

Maybe karma will catch up and they'll get bounced in the Divisional round.

1 hour ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Really unfair for Cincy.

It sucks that we get no shot at the #1, but at least this makes sure we don't go on the road to KC.

But Cincy did nothing other than be gracious and now they are automatically on the road in Buffalo and then a coin flip for Balt/Cincy if they meet in playoffs.

Crazy. It's like all the NFL did was try to make it fair for buff and Balt but not really Cincy or KC (though KC deserves nothing special)

The Cincinnati thing is interesting. If they were to lose this weekend, they would be 0-2 versus the Ravens, 2-4 in their division. They got a lot of help to win their division. So I find it hard to be too sympathetic for them.

Just win and show you truly deserve the division.

Edited by CSBill

The coin toss for home field for a Ravens/Cincy match up is somewhat unfair.    Especially considering there is likely going to be a Bills/Cincy rematch in the divisional round and has high probability of being played in Buffalo.  They had their home game taken away and potentially given to the Bills in the playoffs.  Surprised they didn't decide to coin toss home field for that match up as well.

1 minute ago, ImpactCorey said:

The coin toss for home field for a Ravens/Cincy match up is somewhat unfair.    Especially considering there is likely going to be a Bills/Cincy rematch in the divisional round and has high probability of being played in Buffalo.  They had their home game taken away and potentially given to the Bills in the playoffs.  Surprised they didn't decide to coin toss home field for that match up as well.

This part doesn't bother me at all, given that the league decided to call it a no-contest.  If we win this weekend, we'll finish the season with a better record than the Bengals.  Not because of the game that got cancelled, but because of the 16 other games.  We earned that legitimately, under the rules as written.  

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

The Chiefs having control of the bye week and the Bengals potentially having to win a coin toss (vs Baltimore if they lose Sunday) are the only things that really rub me the wrong way. 

It bothered me too, since they get an extra week of rest of they win next week, but then I realized that because the Monday night game was cancelled, the Bills and Bengals virtually had a rest week this past week (1st quarter injuries to Taron J. and Allen notwithstanding). So in a sense, we had almost a bye week in the second last week of the season. So we should be in relatively healthy shape for the next slate of games. 

There is no perfect solution, but the one that they settled on seems the fairest to me.

I think the one and only fair way to decide this is to have the Bills and Bengals finish the game...on Madden 23.  Their best player versus our best player.

Think of the ratings to watch that game!  And it sure beats a coin toss.

2 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

I think the one and only fair way to decide this is to have the Bills and Bengals finish the game...on Madden 23.  Their best player versus our best player.

Think of the ratings to watch that game!  And it sure beats a coin toss.

But this is the NFL we're talking about.  They would turn this into a 3-hour primetime event with a halftime show featuring Sheryl Crow and Darius Rucker.

I have to agree with Mixon on this, use the existing rule!

This is what happens when you get people trying to figure out what exactly 'equity' is, a huge mess that no one agrees on.  To quote Roger,

"We believe this is a focused approach that will only affect four teams, and directly address the potential for competitive inequity resulting from 30 teams playing 17 games and two playing 16 games.

I miss the days when we strove for equality and didn't depend on people above us to figure out what 'equity' means.

15 minutes ago, Wags67 said:

8 teams make it in both divisions with 1&2 getting byes.

The math doesn't work out. If two teams have byes, then the other six play in the WC round, producing three winners. Now you have five teams left.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Yes. It's essentially a "no" vote with the ability to say, 'I didn't vote no'.

Yes, I guess. But it is also said "silence equals consent". (There was an old Paper Chase TV episode with this as part of the plot.) So I am not really sure, lol.

[Also, I dont vote in polls on this forum that are public.]

Edited by chongli

I think the fairest and most reasonable thing to do for all parties would have been to have the Bills forfeit. Anything less than that is a gift.

6 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I’m actually tired of thinking/talking about this aspect of the Hamlin incident. 

I truly believe the NFL is trying to come up with the most equitable solution. 

Also….Are the Bills officially out of the running for the # 1 seed? I haven’t even bothered to research it. 

no. KC loses, Bills win and Bills are #1

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I’m actually tired of thinking/talking about this aspect of the Hamlin incident. 

I truly believe the NFL is trying to come up with the most equitable solution. 

Also….Are the Bills officially out of the running for the # 1 seed? I haven’t even bothered to research it. 

If KC loses and we win, we get the #1 seed.  I think it's basically as if we lost half a game on Monday night.

I would feel a lot sorrier for the Bengals getting mildly jobbed by this decision if not for these two plays prior to DH injury:

1. s***bag Hurst diving onto Taron Johnson's head with intent to injure
  2. s***bag Hendrickson rolling into Josh Allen's legs with intent to injure

In light of those two plays, I choose to consider the NFL's decision to be proportionate and fair.

Note, this has nothing to do with my thoughts on how the Bengals' coach and players conducted themselves during subsequent events, which I found quite admirable.

I can compartmentalize the MNF game into pre-DH and post-DH.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena
  • Like (+1) 1

I think the Neutral game should be played in Buffalo/Cincy which ever team doesn't make it. I know they are thinking: Colts-Falcons-Titans stadiums but I like the Bills vs. Chiefs @ Bengals or Bengals vs. Chiefs @ Bills.

Also the Chiefs luck out if the Bengals win. They'll avoid the Bills/Bengals unti the Championship game and have a chance to host it.

The Bengals/Ravens thing is so weird. It feels odd for CIN to possibly win the division with the same number of wins and lose both head to heads. 

I don’t like changing the rules for them mid season. But ultimately they had 16 games to handle business, and they didn’t. I feel the same about the 1 seed and the Bills.

As a Bills fan it feels like our boss gave us all the time we need to handle a family emergency, but we’re not getting paid for the days we don’t show up. Luckily we are still firmly in the running for presidents club. 

9 hours ago, PoBills33 said:

They stand to maybe lose a home game, if they lose to the Ravens.  The Ravens without Lamar.  It's proper that they'd object, but come on, the Bengals will kill them.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Utah John said:

They stand to maybe lose a home game, if they lose to the Ravens.  The Ravens without Lamar.  It's proper that they'd object, but come on, the Bengals will kill them.

They want to build in a mini- bye for themselves this week by resting starters. The NFL is trying to discourage this and added the coin flip language in there. It’s also to compensate the Ravens for not having a chance at the division. If the Bengals win it won’t be used. 

as far as neutral site domes:

Lucas Oil - Venue available

Buf to Indy - 494 miles

KC to Indy - 475 miles

Cin to Indy - 112 miles

Mercedes Benz - Atl - Venue available

Buf to Atl - 887 miles

KC to Atl - 792 Miles

Cin to Atl - 460 miles

Cinci fans will have a distance advantage to each of the domes in the eastern half of the country.

There is no perfect solution for this situation, at least not given the Bengals game won't be resumed.

I think that overall the league did a very good job here.  The neutral site solution is IMO a good solution, somewhat thinking out of the box . I cannot recall this being suggested in the hundreds of pages of thread on this earlier in the week (though I admit I didn't read every single comment), so kudos to the league for that.

The only part I don't like is the potential coin toss between Ravens and Bengals, I basically totally agree with Zac Taylor's view on that.  Admittedly, I don't like the Ravens and I think they don't even deserve a play-off spot this season 😏 

Hopefully week 18 results will imply a situation where little of this matters.  We should - in a weird way - also be glad that the Hamlin incident happened in the first quarter.  Just imagine this had happened say in the 3rd quarter with either the Bills or the Bengals having a 14-point lead, it would have caused a much bigger cry about injustice.      

4 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Buf to Indy - 494 miles

KC to Indy - 475 miles

Cin to Indy - 112 miles

Buf to Atl - 887 miles

KC to Atl - 792 Miles

Cin to Atl - 460 miles

Cinci fans will have a distance advantage to each of the domes in the eastern half of the country.

Can't go to Indy they have the arena booked full.

38 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Buf to Indy - 494 miles

KC to Indy - 475 miles

Cin to Indy - 112 miles

Buf to Atl - 887 miles

KC to Atl - 792 Miles

Cin to Atl - 460 miles

We're not going to get this petty, are we?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.