Week 18: Pats at Bills, Sunday 1/8 1pm

YoloinOhio

Bulldog on WGR last night was talking about moving this weeks game vs the Pats out.   I don't think that is anything being discussed and I hope it is not, I took this is a wild thought by him.  Somehow he thought playing it Monday was better for some reason...maybe just another day of the players getting themselves ready.   I really think they need to play because that is what Damar would want, not that I know him but I am pretty sure that would be a universal thing.  Also, while I understand it is hard not knowing the outcome (I have lived this personally so I really understand) at some point you have to continue with life and it may be hard or seem weird, it needs to happen.  There is nothing any of the other players or coaches can do, Damar is where he needs to be getting the care he needs from the professionals and with his family.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Greg S said:

They won't do that. What they will probably do (and I bet every team does it) is wear a #3 patch on their helmets. 

Nah. Touchdown and 3-point conversion PAT. Bass kicks through uprights and it's caught by Diggs on other side of crossbar to make it 9-0.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The nfl is going to come down hard for this infraction.  

Hopefully this is poor sarcasm. Given the circumstances, I would guess the handling of Hamlin’s eligibility status has been discussed internally and with the league. It may be they just didn’t announce anything out of respect for his condition and family. 

Just now, WotAGuy said:

Hopefully this is poor sarcasm. Given the circumstances, I would guess the handling of Hamlin’s eligibility status has been discussed internally and with the league. It may be they just didn’t announce anything out of respect for his condition and family. 

You are probably right. This isn't a normal football injury as it is/was life threatening. Hopefully he is continuing to improve and get better. It's pretty obvious that his season is over. Hopefully his career isn't but that is a discussion for another time.

1 hour ago, Casey D said:

No, I don't think so.  The problem is that the loser of the Bills Bengals game will be placed at a disadvantage as the 2 or 3 seed.  The lower seeded teams all get a week off, which is a huge advantage and not earned.  Teams with such good records at the Bills and Bengals should not be so disadvantaged.  Better to skip the game and end up with a slightly lower seed.  Bengals would only have shot at #1 seed if KC loses in any event.

Windfall for KC if they beat Raiders and get #1 seed.  Maybe depending how other week 18 games shake out.   But I think Bills would take #2 seed than have to go back to Cincinnati.  Just my opinion.

No he's right, if the Chiefs and Bengals both lose this week and the Bills win then the Bills lock the 1 seed, they'd have the better record than the Bengals even if they lose to them and they'd tie the Chiefs and have the head to head with them, for whatever this matters right now.

16 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

sarcasm does not have a font

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

No he's right, if the Chiefs and Bengals both lose this week and the Bills win then the Bills lock the 1 seed, they'd have the better record than the Bengals even if they lose to them and they'd tie the Chiefs and have the head to head with them, for whatever this matters right now.

Correct.  If all the assumptions you make are true, then Bills #1 Chiefs #2 and Bengals #3 then.  Problem then is Ravens alive for AFC North and would get it if Bills played and beat Bengals.  No matter how you slice it, there will be some unfairness.  But last year Bengals were #4 seed and Rams #5 seed.  Year before Bucs #5 seed.  Although we make being the #1 seed the be all and end all, I would suggest the #1 seed guarantees nothing.  it is a great talking point for fans and talking heads however.  I do not think after last year the Bengals are too concerned with going on road.

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

We can all assume he’s on IR and just announce stuff later.  I was POed the night of where a couple of reporters titled their story “ex-Buffalo Bill”.

We don’t need instant communication on these matters.  We can all wait and just say prayers.

Yep.

And besides, the purpose of the injury report is so that both teams are fairly informed about each player's game availability and fitness.  Everybody knows about Damar Hamlin.  (I know the person who raised this issue was just asking out curiosity and this is maybe a little pedantic, but nobody can seriously accuse the Bills of trying to slip one past the Patriots.  They know that Hamlin won't be out there on Sunday.)  

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, sven233 said:

But also knowing the league, they probably have wanted the Chiefs to be the #1 seed all season.  So, who knows.  In the end, I fully expect the Chiefs to someway, somehow benefit from all this and get the bye.  Just feels like that is the way this is all headed. 

Please explain to us why the NFL has wanted the chiefs to be the #1 seed all season 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

I believe the rule book says that the NFL Commissioner can do as he sees fit during emergencies. 

Meaning nothing is off the table in terms of how to deal with this uncharted territory. 

You are correct, but the rule really lists 2 options for the Commissioner in case of unplayable games:  Find a way to complete the game or cancel the game.

It gives the Commissioner leeway to decide and of course the Commissioner has the ability to act in the best interests of football at all times, but since the specific rule gives 2 options and the game was so close to the beginning and since canceling games was discussed during Covid and how the league would handle unplayed games.  I believe the safe bet is that they will follow the established guidelines they had previously discussed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

You are correct, but the rule really lists 2 options for the Commissioner in case of unplayable games:  Find a way to complete the game or cancel the game.

It gives the Commissioner leeway to decide and of course the Commissioner has the ability to act in the best interests of football at all times, but since the specific rule gives 2 options and the game was so close to the beginning and since canceling games was discussed during Covid and how the league would handle unplayed games.  I believe the safe bet is that they will follow the established guidelines they had previously discussed.

I hear that. I'm guessing the game will be canceled and they will use winning % for seeding. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I’m pretty sure the two options stated in the rule are:

1) The Chiefs get #1 seed

2) The Pats get a comp pick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The nfl is going to come down hard for this infraction.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not if he’s on IR. Which I expect he will be, though I haven’t seen that take place so not sure. 

48 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Probably IR.  

He's awake.  Let's not rule him out for Sunday. I don't know that Jaquan Johnson is awake. We have seen him play. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

This is what I am worried about...exactly what the team official talks about below...that the Bills emotional energy tank was almost on E even prior to the Hamlin tragedy happening from all of the energy they have expended this season and they simply might not have anything left in the tank after that...and honestly, who could blame them.  They are not robots.

https://kvia.com/sports/cnn-sports/2023/01/04/buffalo-bills-player-dion-dawkins-describes-moment-he-realized-something-is-really-really-wrong-after-damar-hamlins-collapse/

image.thumb.png.7fd23eb66747f69e33eeec9d615031b9.png

I think their tanks might have just gotten a little boost

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think their tanks might have just gotten a little boost

A little? I think they come out super charged up on Sunday. Crowd will be insanely loud. I know the saying "Any Given Sunday" but the Bills aren't losing. They are going to play for Damar and losing isn't an option.

Great news on Damar!  Incredible.  

Does anyone know how the Bills are doing with practice, game planning and preparation for the Pats*?  I can't believe they would be able to function normally as far as their weekly routine would go.  

Having this next game at home will help, not having to travel, being in familiar surroundings, and having the full force of  Bills Mafia there of course will provide a lift.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.