Week 18: Pats at Bills, Sunday 1/8 1pm

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Well this would likely be the worst case scenario in terms of scheduling. 

I don’t have a problem with this if we are 1 seed. Beat cin in essentially a practice playoff game, then get a week off.

Worse case - Lose that game you get to play another game still. 

8 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Even though Rhodes has never played safety, I’d have to believe he’d be better at that position than an undrafted journeyman on his 3rd or 4th team but hey, I’m just a guy sitting on a couch 😅

I have been hoping they were trying him out there since they signed him he has the experience that could help at least but like you, I hang out on the couch too 🤣 Well s**t they just released Rhodes 😳

Edited by TheBeaneBandit

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

There is a one week break before the SB, no? 

Ah - I read it wrong.  Oops.  They'd just have the NFC take their bye the following week, so by the time the SB rolled around, both champs would get the extra week.

Not terrible, now that I understand it. I suppose at least we'd get a shot at the 1 seed.

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I don’t have a problem with this if we are 1 seed. Beat cin in essentially a practice playoff game, then get a week off.

Worse case - Lose that game you get to play another game still. 

Yes, but then every other team in the AFC gets a bye week, week 19 so even if we get that week off (week 20), so do the other teams (week 19).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsfaninSB said:

No.  That goes away with these playoff byes. 

Just now, balln said:

Yes. 

Play CIN for chance at 1 seed or chance we get a week off if we got Super Bowl? I am taking a shot at the 1 seed. The nfc team won’t have the week off either. 

1 minute ago, Success said:

Ah - I read it wrong.  Oops.  They'd just have the NFC take their bye the following week, so by the time the SB rolled around, both champs would get the extra week.

Not terrible, now that I understand it. I suppose at least we'd get a shot at the 1 seed.

Or a shot at limping into the playoffs. If that’s the NFLs solution I’m taking the next two weeks off if I’m the Bills. At least they’ll know if the Chiefs lost on Saturday. If KC wins I’d rest up as the 3 

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Even though Rhodes has never played safety, I’d have to believe he’d be better at that position than an undrafted journeyman on his 3rd or 4th team but hey, I’m just a guy sitting on a couch 😅

Or it could be they know Rhodes isn’t going to sign anywhere and can be available and they want to get in to get a  look and talk to him for a potential signing for next year.

Beane is always looking at bottom end roster guys.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I made this today. I’d like to see the Bills do something like this for the rest of the season if possible. Feel free to use it if you like it.

03B0930F-34F2-4083-BC14-7796C1EC9683.jpeg

It'd be really cool if they put a number 3 in the bills logo on the field Sunday. There's probably some stupid nfl rules about that or something though 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Or a shot at limping into the playoffs. If that’s the NFLs solution I’m taking the next two weeks off if I’m the Bills. At least they’ll know if the Chiefs lost on Saturday. If KC wins I’d rest up as the 3 

Limping how? We are either playing cin week 19 or the ravens or chargers. Not getting a bye that week. I play cin, win and we get our week off. Lose and we are playing the ravens or chargers. I take that over not playing then in a one and done game. 

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

I made this today. I’d like to see the Bills do something like this for the rest of the season if possible. Feel free to use it if you like it.

03B0930F-34F2-4083-BC14-7796C1EC9683.jpeg

Love the idea, but I think the logo at the 50-yard line is permanently sewn in. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Success said:

Nope the bye weeks eliminate the extra week before the SB.

So now either the Bills or the Bengals or both get totally screwed as their opponents get rest and time to prepare with limited outcomes - while they play a huge and emotional game.

It is the absolute worst thing the NFL could do to screw both of these teams, but if they must get the game in - they might try this.

🤮

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Limping how? We are either playing cin week 19 or the ravens or chargers. Not getting a bye that week. I play cin, win and we get our week off. Lose and we are playing the ravens or chargers. I take that over not playing then in a one and done game. 

Yes but you are playing the Ravens Chargers after they played week 18 or after they get a weeks rest and healed up while you are playing and emotional game and then playing those same teams.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Playing this week then next Vs CIN could leave us in an injury riddled situation heading into a certain playoff game the next week. Resting vs NE and CIN gives the Bills essentially a bye and a guaranteed home game plus possibly 2 road playoff games. There are 3 potential outcomes. One is very bad - 3 seed with no rest of any kind. Which would you choose? I’d take the guaranteed down time. 

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Playing this week then next Vs CIN could leave us in an injury riddled situation heading into a certain playoff game the next week. Resting vs NE and CIN gives the Bills essentially a bye and a guaranteed home game plus possibly 2 road playoff games. There are 3 potential outcomes. One is very bad - 3 seed with no rest of any kind. Which would you choose? I’d take the guaranteed down time. 

So basically take this week off and we are on the next week in a lose and season over game? That does not sound appealing to me. I like the idea of meaningful games vs ne and cin to make sure our heads are right going into the playoffs. Two practice games means more to me than the rest. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

So basically take this week off and we are on the next week in a lose and season over game? That does not sound appealing to me. I like the idea of meaningful games vs ne and cin to make sure our heads are right going into the playoffs. Two practice games means more to me than the rest. 

What ? The week 19 vs CIN is not a lose and season over game. The Bills are in the playoffs and week 19 is AFC playoff bye. Bills vs Bengals is for seeding. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't attempt to speak for anybody else but what I need is Damar to rise and in a Bills football helmet again, and to get back to the normalcy and escape provided by watching the Bills excite 70 thousand people.  They will have their work cut out for them on a short week, have not played 60 minutes in two weeks, and their friend still in the hospital, but boy will ever be nice to hand the Pats a playoff exit the way they were used to handing to the Bills, even if it's not Tom Brady but would like him to be next in line.  

22 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nope the bye weeks eliminate the extra week before the SB.

The conference championships are scheduled for Jan. 29th.  The Super Bowl is Feb. 12th.  That's two weeks.  The only thing scheduled for Feb. 5th is the Pro Bowl Skills competition in Vegas.

Edited by fergie's ire

28 minutes ago, WickedGame said:

I hate that phrase “trap game,” but this suddenly feels like a trap game.

Either the Cheatriots take advantage of an emotionally drained Bills team and get the W, or the Bills go Beast Mode for Hamlin and hang 50 on them. 

Let’s hope for the latter, but my gut says we come out fairly flat. 

I don't even view this in that light.

This game is either going to be a game where the Bills come out emotionally charged and dominate largely in honor of their fallen comrade 

OR

they're going to be emotionally flat and lose.

Neither would surprise me.  And honestly, I don't think I really care if they lose unless the league comes out with a plan regarding the game not played and the Bills still have a pathway to the #1 seed.  Let's be honest, the Chiefs are going to be the #1 seed unless the Bills and Bengals game is made up or they're both given Ws (not gonna happen).

Hope Buffalo forfeits and just rests everyone.  If we're locked into the #2 or #3 seed who really cares?

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Just looked up the the game maps for this week and they're delayed due to the bills/Bengals game situation. It'll be interesting if they show the bills/Pats for most of the country. I think the country probably wants to see the bills this week

There’s more on Bengals-Ravens that Patriots-Bills, though obviously there’s an emotional connection for many to the latter.

13 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The way the Bills lose players to injury every game, I think playing two “practice” games would be the last thing any sane Bills fan would be for. Far better chance we lose additional players to injury in those two games than gaining anything mentally heading into the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't even view this in that light.

This game is either going to be a game where the Bills come out emotionally charged and dominate largely in honor of their fallen comrade 

OR

they're going to be emotionally flat and lose.

Neither would surprise me.  And honestly, I don't think I really care if they lose unless the league comes out with a plan regarding the game not played and the Bills still have a pathway to the #1 seed.  Let's be honest, the Chiefs are going to be the #1 seed unless the Bills and Bengals game is made up or they're both given Ws (not gonna happen).

Hope Buffalo forfeits and just rests everyone.  If we're locked into the #2 or #3 seed who really cares?

2 seed gets you a home game in divisional round, 3 seed you're on the road.

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

What ? The week 19 vs CIN is not a lose and season over game. The Bills are in the playoffs and week 19 is AFC playoff bye. Bills vs Bengals is for seeding. 

I was talking about the idea of not playing that game at all. If there is an option of playing week 18 & 19 as scrimmages to rest for the playoffs that would be a better option than no week 19. I still think you don’t just fold it in if you have a shot at the 1 seed. But you do have flexibility to rest certain players while still looking for a w. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Week 19

Bengals/Bills

AFC Playoff Bye Week

…what am I missing?

Who’s getting a bye?  What are we playing the Bengals for then?

Actually the proposal I saw is week 19 Bills/Bengals, and nfc wild card round. Next week would be the afc wild card round.  So if they win week 18 and 19 Bills would be off that week. It adds a week to  the playoffs, eliminating the off week between the CC games and SB. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Week 19

Bengals/Bills

AFC Playoff Bye Week

…what am I missing?

Who’s getting a bye?  What are we playing the Bengals for then?

We’re playing the Bengals to round off the regular season. The remaining AFC teams in the play offs get a bye.

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

We’re playing the Bengals to round off the regular season. The remaining AFC teams in the play offs get a bye.

Gross. 

So if KC wins, Cinci knows they are only playing for seeding and have to play a team coming off a bye the following week.  

Buffalo has to play knowing if they go all out and lose, they then also play a team coming off a bye the following week.

Both teams operating off the knowledge that this game that already puts them at a disadvantage, is against a team they may see again in two weeks. 

Edited by SCBills

22 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Just looked up the the game maps for this week and they're delayed due to the bills/Bengals game situation. It'll be interesting if they show the bills/Pats for most of the country. I think the country probably wants to see the bills this week

I agree.  I'd be shocked if this isn't a national broadcast.  Because of the whole situation with the Bills of course, but also it's a big game for New England and Miami.

Just now, SCBills said:

Gross. 

So if KC wins, Cinci knows they are only playing for seeding and have to play a team coming off a bye the following week.  

Buffalo has to play knowing if they go all out and lose, they then also play a team coming off a bye the following week. 

Though it’s only a rumour at this stage. If the Chiefs beat the Raiders and Bengals beat the Ravens I’d be tempted to said the back ups to Cincinnati at forget about the number one seed.

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I get that.  Is that worth more than the extra week you could take to emotionally and physically recover?  

Obviously this is a very different situation considering the state of the team, but we did go all-out for the #2 seed in 2020, didn't we?  

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actually the proposal I saw is week 19 Bills/Bengals, and nfc wild card round. Next week would be the afc wild card round.  So if they win week 18 and 19 Bills would be off that week. It adds a week to  the playoffs, eliminating the off week between the CC games and SB. 

right but the bills and bengals are preparing for an extra week of play while the rest of the AFC has an off week.  I know they only played for less that a qtr on Monday but they still traveled and prepped all week like a normal week and now they get to do it again while everyone else is resting. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

right but the bills and bengals are preparing for an extra week of play while the rest of the AFC has an off week.  I know they only played for less that a qtr on Monday but they still traveled and prepped all week like a normal week and now they get to do it again while everyone else is resting. 

Yes, it’s not ideal but if they are going to try to play the game, there is no perfect solution. Another factor is that the bengals will already know their fate if the chiefs win this week, so may even rest starters as they can’t get the 1 seed in that situation. The 1 seed would only still be in play for the Bills, if they beat the pats. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, it’s not ideal but if they are going to try to play the game, there is no perfect solution 

They can tell them they need to play, but if the teams push back, the NFL better tread lightly. … and even if they do play, the level of potential gamesmanship with potential scenarios in play would be off the charts … wouldn’t be surprised if they said ok, and one (or both) played backups most of the game.  

It’s the only way to get the game in.  It’s also a brutal situation to put these two teams in. 

Edited by SCBills

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not if they win… your not playing anyone if they win.

Even then Cincinnati gets screwed just because they understood what we were going through and decided to postpone.

Would it be good for the Bills maybe, but I can not see the Bills accepting seeing the Bengals get screwed over after being so accommodating.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.