Week 18: Pats at Bills, Sunday 1/8 1pm

YoloinOhio

Emotionally - don’t really care about the game 

heart - id want them to either try and win if it means they still have 1 seed. I think what will happen is they will use win %. If chiefs lose are we not the 1 seed? If 1 seed isn’t in play then I just say play back ups and rest up for a run 

brain - reality is - I don’t think they’re winning Super Bowl or even making it to championship game if not 1 seed. Even thought the same after Von out for year . They’re not playing their best football. Specifically Allen as a passer. It looks too hard on offense. I think our D is worse than last year. We can’t immediately win consistently on DL for pass rush. Our championship window level play in our back 4 has passed 

And I don’t trust our coaches in game. Sorry 13 seconds. What was that timeout on offense with 2 seconds left on playclock. In 10 mins in the first q? Atrocious 

overall I think the season has been a nightmare. Injury to your qb / elbow , wr3, Von Miller and Hyde out for year , Hamlin and just the way season is going 

rest up / come back next year 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

No, up until about five minutes ago, this was universally viewed as the healthiest course of action.  We can draw on example after example from the sports world -- Kevin Everett, Sean Taylor, Brett Favre's dad, Christian Ericksen, etc.  But more immediately, I'm sure I'm not the only person old enough to have dealt with stuff like this myself and to have seen my friends and coworkers deal with issues much worse than this one.  Nobody ever counsels a friend to shut down -- we do the opposite, literally always.  That doesn't mean you have to be totally stoic and stone-faced about it.  But it does mean that you don't lock yourself in a room and mope around either.  Friends tell friends not to do that.    

Thanks for the response.

I'll just say that "counseling a friend to shut down" or "lock[ing] yourself in a room and mop[ing] around" are not the same as "encouraging people to take the proper time and measures to process their grief".

Take me, for instance. I mentioned that I'm having trouble getting "up" for the game. That doesn't mean that if I choose not to watch the game, I'm going to sit in the darkness and mope. I'll likely take a walk around the neighborhood, read a book, have lunch with my wife, play some guitar.

"Taking some time or changing my routine in order process difficult feelings" is not the same as "shutting down" or "moping". 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, balln said:

Emotionally - don’t really care about the game 

heart - id want them to either try and win if it means they still have 1 seed. I think what will happen is they will use win %. If chiefs lose are we not the 1 seed? If 1 seed isn’t in play then I just say play back ups and rest up for a run 

brain - reality is - I don’t think they’re winning Super Bowl or even making it to championship game if not 1 seed. Even thought the same after Von out for year . They’re not playing their best football. Specifically Allen as a passer. It looks too hard on offense. I think our D is worse than last year. We can’t immediately win consistently on DL for pass rush. Our championship window level play in our back 4 has passed 

And I don’t trust our coaches in game. Sorry 13 seconds. What was that timeout on offense with 2 seconds left on playclock. In 10 mins in the first q? Atrocious 

overall I think the season has been a nightmare. Injury to your qb / elbow , wr3, Von Miller and Hyde out for year , Hamlin and just the way season is going 

rest up / come back next year 

literally all the advanced stats disagree with you lol 

The season has been a nightmare and we are STILL the #1 seed (or at worst, division champs at 13-3/12-4 and hosting a playoff game). I'd say our chances at a super bowl are better than most. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

The season has been a nightmare and we are STILL the #1 seed (or at worst, division champs at 13-3/12-4 and hosting a playoff game). I'd say our chances at a super bowl are better than most. 

From the limited time game play. Cincy was going to blow our doors off .

and now - we’ll have a 3rd string fs. Who knows about our cb3/LB3 starter 

Edited by balln
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 4

10 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

yeah...it's hard to have won 12 games so far and call this season a "nightmare", (at least until monday).  the season has been imperfect, but some are acting like this team didn't make the playoffs.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, balln said:

Kinda like the Bears were gonna the week before when they scored on their first drive and were beating us 10-6 at half? Get outta here. Our defense is notorious for giving up a TD and yards early and adjusting and clamping down. Could this have been different? MAYBE. Could this have been the same as we've seen all season? I'd bet on that. There is a reason they play 4 quarters of football. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, balln said:

And as we all know, Cincinnati always plays in the second half of games just as well as they play in the first half, with no recent examples to the contrary.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, balln said:

How can anyone obviously say it wouldn’t happen is just as shocking 

because a lot happens in a game.  what if the bills held the cincy to 3, and the bills score on the next drive.  even if cincy scored, what if buffalo went on the next drive to score a td?  it's a 4 point game early on.  see how that works?

Just now, teef said:

yeah...it's hard to have won 12 games so far and call this season a "nightmare", (at least until moments).  the season has been imperfect, but some are acting like this team didn't make the playoffs.

Prior to the season and after kc - I’m in the mindset Super Bowl or bust. 

giants are a playoff team but we alll know they have no chance 

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

Kinda like the Bears were gonna the week before when they scored on their first drive and were beating us 10-6 at half? Get outta here. Our defense is notorious for giving up a TD and yards early and adjusting and clamping down. Could this have been different? MAYBE. Could this have been the same as we've seen all season? I'd bet on that. There is a reason they play 4 quarters of football. 

No. I’d bet on joe burrow and their off keep going vs fields and bears off 

2 minutes ago, teef said:

because a lot happens in a game.  what if the bills held the cincy to 3, and the bills score on the next drive.  even if cincy scored, what if buffalo went on the next drive to score a td?  it's a 4 point game early on.  see how that works?

Sure of course. But I’d bet on the bengals smoking them once we piled up injuries. Taron and even Allen’s ankle 

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, balln said:

so?  every year a team is picked to win the sb.  sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  it takes a lot to win the big game, and as far as i know, the playoffs haven't even started yet.  did the giants have a chance the year they beat the undefeated pats?  nope, and yet here we are.  the playoffs are an entirely different season.  you just have to let it play out, but to call this season a "nightmare" is just as unreasonable as knowing the outcome of a game after 2.5 series.  

1 minute ago, balln said:

No. I’d bet on joe burrow and their off keep going vs fields and bears off 

Good for you. Your opinion, and mine, mean nothing. There was no result of the game so we have literally no idea what would have happened. That is my only point to your silly post. "cincy was going to blow our doors off". We got beat by more than one score exactly once in two seasons lol. Have a good day and Go Bills! 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

Seriously, what kind of a person would say "If something bad happens to me, I want everybody else to shut their lives down too?"  Nobody ever says that.  Spouses don't want their surviving spouse to live the rest of their life in a state of mourning after they pass.  Why on earth would this situation be any different?  

People are making this out to be harder than it is.  Damar Hamlin is fighting for his life in a hospital.  For the rest of us, our life is still in front of us, and it's still ending one day at a time just like it was before.  Let's get on with it.   

The quip “too soon” may apply here. It’s a laugh line when we talk about something that happened a long time ago, but it is a real thing. Everyone agrees that reconvening on Tuesday night to finish the game wasn’t reasonable. 
Yes, life will go on, and the Bills will go on. But we’re talking about whether it’s reasonable to require Hamlin’s teammates to return to business as usual: practice during the week, media availability, game 6 days later, etc, etc. And for the game itself: the kind of celebratory/party atmosphere: tailgates, drinking, all that … it just isn’t right yet. 
I don’t mean to say we shouldn’t play on Sunday, but I don’t really know how I (much less the team) feels about that. 

9 minutes ago, balln said:

and now - we’ll have a 3rd string fs. Who knows about our cb3/LB3 starter 

He could have thrown a pick 6 the next play or a holding call anything.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And for the game itself: the kind of celebratory/party atmosphere: tailgates, drinking, all that … it just isn’t right yet. 

yeah… I’m likely not attending the Pats game but if I was, it would feel downright weird tailgating for it , IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.