Week 18: Pats at Bills, Sunday 1/8 1pm

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, it’s not ideal but if they are going to try to play the game, there is no perfect solution. Another factor is that the bengals will already know their fate if the chiefs win this week, so may even rest starters as they can’t get the 1 seed in that situation. The 1 seed would only still be in play for the Bills, if they beat the pats. 

I hadn't thought about this angle.  Why wouldn't the Bengals just forfeit such a game?  They can't actually rest all their starters -- nobody can.  I would think they would object to a meaningless (for them) makeup game under the strongest possible terms.  Imagine losing an OL in such a game.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I was talking about the idea of not playing that game at all. If there is an option of playing week 18 & 19 as scrimmages to rest for the playoffs that would be a better option than no week 19. I still think you don’t just fold it in if you have a shot at the 1 seed. But you do have flexibility to rest certain players while still looking for a w. 

Well the proposal floated ( or at least being considered by the NFL)  involved resuming the game. So If KC wins Saturday - Bills can play to win both games vs NE, CIN with a chance to be # 1 or fall to 3 with no rest. OR rest starters both games and go in as #3 
if KC loses - can play to win Vs NE and secure #2 overall seed with a chance at #1 week 19 

So if I’m correct here I think I’d opt for the guaranteed rest and go in as 3  IF the Chiefs win vs LAR on Saturday

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Even then Cincinnati gets screwed just because they understood what we were going through and decided to postpone.

Would it be good for the Bills maybe, but I can not see the Bills accepting seeing the Bengals get screwed over after being so accommodating.

The only way the game between Bengals/Bills matters is if KC loses to LV.  In that event, the Bengals/Bills game would be for the 1 seed of both of those teams win this weekend.  My guess is that is really going to determine whether the game is played or not.

Even then, cincy can't get the 1 seed so they have no reason to play starters unless they really want the 2 seed but then they would be skipping a free bye week just to have a potential extra home game.  I would think they would take the rest and play back ups while we were trying to secure the 1 seed over KC.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, it’s not ideal but if they are going to try to play the game, there is no perfect solution. Another factor is that the bengals will already know their fate if the chiefs win this week, so may even rest starters as they can’t get the 1 seed in that situation. The 1 seed would only still be in play for the Bills, if they beat the pats. 

The 2 seed would still be in play though. They would rather play Buffalo in Cincy than on the road here.

34 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

The conference championships are scheduled for Jan. 29th.  The Super Bowl is Feb. 12th.  That's two weeks.  The only thing scheduled for Feb. 5th is the Pro Bowl Skills competition in Vegas.

That does not work out though.  

Week 19 1/15 Bills Bengals and NFC wild card (AFC Bye)

Week 20 1/22 AFC wild card and NFC Bye

Week 21 1/29 AFC and NFC divisional rounds

Week 22 2/5 AFC/NFC championship games (Maybe ProBowl also)

Week 23 2/12 SuperBowl

So the bye week is eliminated before the SB and the Bengals/Bills (one or maybe both) are the only teams to not get a bye.  Rest of the AFC gets a bye while we play - NFC gets a bye elsewhere. And based upon the original question which was would there still be a week before the SuperBowl- that is gone which is what I am referring to.

Additionally potentially KC ends up with 2 straight weeks off if the Bills lose, but it really screws the Bills and the Bengals as they get no break at all and are both emotionally invested and will be forced to talk about the Hamlin play a ton leading up to the game.

23 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Gross. 

So if KC wins, Cinci knows they are only playing for seeding and have to play a team coming off a bye the following week.  

Buffalo has to play knowing if they go all out and lose, they then also play a team coming off a bye the following week.

Both teams operating off the knowledge that this game that already puts them at a disadvantage, is against a team they may see again in two weeks. 

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

I hadn't thought about this angle.  Why wouldn't the Bengals just forfeit such a game?  They can't actually rest all their starters -- nobody can.  I would think they would object to a meaningless (for them) makeup game under the strongest possible terms.  Imagine losing an OL in such a game.

CIN playing for 2 or 3 seed and giving up chance for rest and prep for playoffs. They will know who they are playing. 

Bills playing for 1 seed. 

Another point is if you’re CIN do you want to play KC or BUF first in the playoffs? Yes the Bills game would be at home but they have beat KC multiple times now. 

Bottom line in this scenario bills have more to play for and could see cin resting guys. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Even then Cincinnati gets screwed just because they understood what we were going through and decided to postpone.

Would it be good for the Bills maybe, but I can not see the Bills accepting seeing the Bengals get screwed over after being so accommodating.

how do the Bengals get screwed?

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The only way the game between Bengals/Bills matters is if KC loses to LV.  In that event, the Bengals/Bills game would be for the 1 seed of both of those teams win this weekend.  My guess is that is really going to determine whether the game is played or not.

Even then, cincy can't get the 1 seed so they have no reason to play starters unless they really want the 2 seed but then they would be skipping a free bye week just to have a potential extra home game.  I would think they would take the rest and play back ups while we were trying to secure the 1 seed over KC.

Only way the Bills Bengals game doesn’t matter is if we lose to NE. If we beat NE, we still control our destiny for the one seed if we get to resume play against Cincinnati 

Just now, RyanC883 said:

how do the Bengals get screwed?

Because if they can not get the #1 seed (and the Bills win) they would be the only playoff team that did not get a bye. 

All of the other teams they are playing would get a bye and if the Bills won and got the #1 seed we would get a bye, but Cincinnati the team that was looking out for us - would be forced to play the extra game and would miss the bye hence risking injury and not getting the rest like heir opponents.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Only way the Bills Bengals game doesn’t matter is if we lose to NE. If we beat NE, we still control our destiny for the one seed if we get to resume play against Cincinnati 

Same if Bengals lose to Balt. 

Which is why it only matter if KC loses to LV.  Otherwise, neither team can catch them.  That's likely why it is being played a day earlier than the other two games to figure out how important it is.  

• Eyeroll 1

39 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

right but the bills and bengals are preparing for an extra week of play while the rest of the AFC has an off week.  I know they only played for less that a qtr on Monday but they still traveled and prepped all week like a normal week and now they get to do it again while everyone else is resting. 

I dunno,  is other teams having an extra week off really a detriment to the Bills?   Look how we came out playing after our bye week this year.   

6 minutes ago, Lost said:

I dunno,  is other teams having an extra week off really a detriment to the Bills?   Look how we came out playing after our bye week this year.   

I've already stated in another thread that I don't care if the bills FF the Cincy game or the NE game and just took the 3rd seed and made sure they got everyone the help they needed to comprehend what is going on and time to process it.

7 hours ago, wolfpack78 said:

I ran the ESPN playoff simulator for this scenario and the Bengals hold the tie breaker over us and would be the #2.  Not sure what the tie breaker is that puts it in their favor because we would have same overall/conference/divisions records in this scenario.  Maybe winning % against common opponents?

Yes that is the one. I believe it is 8-3 for them and 7-3 for us.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

So Taron is in concussion protocol I assume?  Wasn’t sure if you can practice limited in protocol.

He could be in that stage with no contact practice.  Then contact practice.  Then evaluation.  Its possible that he clears before this game and plays.

• Like (+1) 1

It's been such an emotional week.  I've found that I have just started getting teary eyed once in awhile, without even thinking about anything.  I wasn't sure if I'd even care about football anymore.

But, today, I find that I still can't stand the Patriots. And want the Bills to win this game, big.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Process said:

Taron being limited is a good sign, though it was just a walk through

Was good (but surprising) to see Josh with nothing on his elbow Mon.  Seems like it will probably continue to be listed on the injury report for a while even as it seems to be improving

• Like (+1) 2

Here is an idea

Play this week as normal.  

If kc beats vegas they get a bye. Bills get the 2 and bengals the 3 seed for 1st round opponents.  If both teams win the divisional game is played in cincy as a quasi make up game. If the Bills make the afc championship game they host if not kc hosts

If kc loses to vegas bills bengals gets played for the 1 seed loser goes home. 7 seed plays the 8th seed that just missed and the bye is removed.

Nfl gets an extra playoff game, most issues get resolved with minimal disruption.

Edited by section122
Premature post
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

right but the bills and bengals are preparing for an extra week of play while the rest of the AFC has an off week.  I know they only played for less that a qtr on Monday but they still traveled and prepped all week like a normal week and now they get to do it again while everyone else is resting. 

Right, but any solution is going to be unfair to someone, and this one seems mild compared to the others we've heard. 

Wouldn't it be ironic if they earned the top seed after this long, long season but didn't receive what they most need, a week of rest? 

6 minutes ago, section122 said:

Also i think the nfl has figured out but won't release anything until we have more info and hopefully good news about damar.

I think it is that, combined with waiting to see if the game even “needs” to be played, based on this weeks results. (Ie, if we win and the Chiefs and Bengals happen to lose). 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Success said:

It's been such an emotional week.  I've found that I have just started getting teary eyed once in awhile, without even thinking about anything.  I wasn't sure if I'd even care about football anymore.

But, today, I find that I still can't stand the Patriots. And want the Bills to win this game, big.

Same.  Still welling up with tears every now and again.  The moment we get definitive positive news about Damar's health I imagine I'll be looking for the box of tissues again.

Rooting for victory of course.  This could be a galvanizing moment, but it also wouldn't surprise me if the team comes out flat.

44 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I think it is that, combined with waiting to see if the game even “needs” to be played, based on this weeks results. (Ie, if we win and the Chiefs and Bengals happen to lose). 

In that scenario, the game would “need” to be played from the point of view of the Ravens. Though the Bills would probably field back ups as they’d have nothing to play for.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Success said:

So, if we didn't get the win against Cincy - we'd have no week off at any point, even if we made the SB.  If I'm reading that right.

What we tend to forget is that Bills played only 9 minutes on Monday night.  This is their week off.   And if they get the #1 seed, they would get “week 20” off as well.  

Not a prefect solution, but a lot better than just declaring the game a tie or no contest, and virtually handing the #1 seed to KC.

Of course, KC could do the whole league a favor and lose on Saturday vs the Raiders.  

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Loyal BF said:

What we tend to forget is that Bills played only 9 minutes on Monday night.  This is their week off.   And if they get the #1 seed, they would get “week 20” off as well.  

Not a prefect solution, but a lot better than just declaring the game a tie or no contest, and virtually handing the #1 seed to KC.

Of course, KC could do the whole league a favor and lose on Saturday vs the Raiders.  

The Chiefs losing wouldn’t reduce the importance of the Bills-Bengals result. Whatever mix of results in week eighteen, there will be something riding on it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

The Chiefs losing wouldn’t reduce the importance of the Bills-Bengals result. Whatever mix of results in week eighteen, there will be something riding on it.

The Chief’s losing makes declaring the Bills Bengals game a tie moot (at least for Bills fans).

IF KC loses vs LV, and the Bills win vs NE, they get the #1 seed.   

4 minutes ago, Loyal BF said:

The Chief’s losing makes declaring the Bills Bengals game a tie moot (at least for Bills fans).

IF KC loses vs LV, and the Bills win vs NE, they get the #1 seed.   

For Bills fans, yes, to a degree. But not necessarily for the fans of the Bengals or the Ravens.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think the unique thing in this situation is the trauma associated with watching your teammate/friend need to be resuscitated with you standing there. 

If Damar had been in a serious accident away from the field, players would still be grieving, but it wouldn’t be as traumatic because they didn’t witness it. First responders, military, etc. are prepared to see traumatic life or death events… football players really aren’t. 

At some point they will “get on with it” but right now they have a lot to work through. 

Ha.  Nothing prepares you for seeing traumatic life or death events.  You're told about it.  You  hear about it.  But when you encounter it for yourself, it's different.  And then once one sort of life or death event becomes something you encounter enough to know how to process it, you see something worse.

Still, I see your point that witnessing your teammate being resuscitated before your eyes is A Lot.  It's A Lot when someone who is trained and knows what they're going to see, sees it. 

The thing is, medical emergencies (in the moment) are easier for trained medical personnel to deal with because they follow their training and focus on the task at hand.  There are sayings like "get back on the horse as soon as possible" for riders and "go back up as soon as you can" for aerialist performers because the sooner you get back to doing something you're trained to do, the sooner the trauma gets pushed aside by the familiar routine and the less space there is for fear and uncertainty to grow.

So I think they need to get back to their routine ASAP while they're working through stuff.  Because otherwise it's just going to grow and become this Shadow Beast in the corner they have to fight.  They've all taken thousands of blows and dealt them.  They know this.  What happened to Damar is apparently very very rare overall and even rarer in football - the fact that guys who have been in the league for decades say "I've never seen anything like this" shows this.   Sometimes the best way out is Through.

JMO.

54 minutes ago, Loyal BF said:

What we tend to forget is that Bills played only 9 minutes on Monday night.  This is their week off. 

This is such a horribly bad take that it deserves to be placed on a pedestal, cryogenically preserved, and enshrined in a Hall of Fame for Bulletin Board Bad Takes somewhere.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the NFL is going to wait until the games are played this week before making a decision on what to do with Bills/Bengals, they should honestly hope that both the Chiefs and Bengals lose while the Bills win.  This cements the standings and the outcome of that game would mean nothing. 

But also knowing the league, they probably have wanted the Chiefs to be the #1 seed all season.  So, who knows.  In the end, I fully expect the Chiefs to someway, somehow benefit from all this and get the bye.  Just feels like that is the way this is all headed. 

Regardless, with everything that has gone on, and will continue to be going on all week or even longer, I am honestly not sure how we as a team prepare the way we need to in order to win a football game this week.  As bad a team as the Pats* are most of the time, it is a fine line in the NFL in who wins games.  In a normal week, I wouldn't think twice about winning this game.  But this week, I honestly have no idea what is going to happen.  We could come out on fire and win by 30 or we could come out completely disinterested and lose by double digits.  What I fear most, though, are more injuries.  This game is violent enough when playing 100% focused.  I can't imagine trying to play the game with so many thoughts elsewhere.  It's a real tough spot for us for sure.

• Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Ha.  Nothing prepares you for seeing traumatic life or death events.  You're told about it.  You  hear about it.  But when you encounter it for yourself, it's different.  And then once one sort of life or death event becomes something you encounter enough to know how to process it, you see something worse.

Still, I see your point that witnessing your teammate being resuscitated before your eyes is A Lot.  It's A Lot when someone who is trained and knows what they're going to see, sees it. 

The thing is, medical emergencies (in the moment) are easier for trained medical personnel to deal with because they follow their training and focus on the task at hand.  There are sayings like "get back on the horse as soon as possible" for riders and "go back up as soon as you can" for aerialist performers because the sooner you get back to doing something you're trained to do, the sooner the trauma gets pushed aside by the familiar routine and the less space there is for fear and uncertainty to grow.

So I think they need to get back to their routine ASAP while they're working through stuff.  Because otherwise it's just going to grow and become this Shadow Beast in the corner they have to fight.  They've all taken thousands of blows and dealt them.  They know this.  What happened to Damar is apparently very very rare overall and even rarer in football - the fact that guys who have been in the league for decades say "I've never seen anything like this" shows this.   Sometimes the best way out is Through.

JMO.

Very well said and it aligns with the perspective by many here that the Bills “need” to move on.  But you said it with empathy and compassion. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, sven233 said:

If the NFL is going to wait until the games are played this week before making a decision on what to do with Bills/Bengals, they should honestly hope that both the Chiefs and Bengals lose while the Bills win.  This cements the standings and the outcome of that game would mean nothing. 

But also knowing the league, they probably have wanted the Chiefs to be the #1 seed all season.  So, who knows.  In the end, I fully expect the Chiefs to someway, somehow benefit from all this and get the bye.  Just feels like that is the way this is all headed. 

Regardless, with everything that has gone on, and will continue to be going on all week or even longer, I am honestly not sure how we as a team prepare the way we need to in order to win a football game this week.  As bad a team as the Pats* are most of the time, it is a fine line in the NFL in who wins games.  In a normal week, I wouldn't think twice about winning this game.  But this week, I honestly have no idea what is going to happen.  We could come out on fire and win by 30 or we could come out completely disinterested and lose by double digits.  What I fear most, though, are more injuries.  This game is violent enough when playing 100% focused.  I can't imagine trying to play the game with so many thoughts elsewhere.  It's a real tough spot for us for sure.

The Chiefs and Bengals losing with the Bills winning does not cement the standings - the Ravens would then have a shot at three, if we play and beat the Bengals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Since1981 said:

From a physical state, maybe? We did add another FS out. Mental standpoint, sh#t these guys have been thru gauntlet past 6 wks. 

Plus the Bills still trained for the game and went through the usual processes. It wasn’t treated as a bye week.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

From a physical state, maybe? We did add another FS out. Mental standpoint, sh#t these guys have been thru gauntlet past 6 wks. 

You misquoted... I didn't say what you replied to.

1 hour ago, Loyal BF said:

Hardly a  week off. From a football standpoint, they   Lost 2 defensive starters and Allen got rolled up on by the Hendrickson dirty play.

And of course that doesn’t even take into account, Hamlin’s critical condition

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I agree with you. I don’t know how you could possibly called us a week off for the bills

What happened was so mentally draining. I’m actually a little bit worried about the next game they play

I agree. Monday night was far more draining than any other big game they've played. On top of that, it wasn't a home game, they traveled. Albeit a relatively short distance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.