Do we get Jamison Crowder back this season?

John from Riverside

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

I’d rather see Beasley or McKenzie, especially at this point of the season. I don’t want Allen trying to find chemistry with any receiver come playoff time.

He has to do that with Beasley... not being around for a year does that. Also Beasley is obviously over the hill.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

He has to do that with Beasley... not being around for a year does that. Also Beasley is obviously over the hill.

He has been with Beasley for the prior three seasons and, no….Beasley is not obviously over the hill. I realize you think you can just plug a guy in and it will work. That’s not the way it goes. 

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beast said:

He has been with Beasley for the prior three seasons.

So that doesn't matter... he still needs to rebuild with a guy who has not played in almost a year. You are putting so much stock in a guy who retired and came back just to ride the bench the last few games.

Edited by TBBills

3 minutes ago, TBBills said:

So that doesn't matter... he still needs to rebuild with a guy who has not played in almost a year. You are putting so much stock in a guy who retired and came back just to ride the bench the last few games.

4th and 7, season on the line….I’ll take Beasley over either Crowder or McKenzie in the slot.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 15
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

1 hour ago, Beast said:

He has been with Beasley for the prior three seasons and, no….Beasley is not obviously over the hill. I realize you think you can just plug a guy in and it will work. That’s not the way it goes. 

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

59 minutes ago, Beast said:

4th and 7, season on the line….I’ll take Beasley over either Crowder or McKenzie in the slot.

Beasley’s career, even as a Bill, has been short yardage receiving patterns and situations.

There is no real timing or same page scenario to work on.  There is no deep out and he lost a step concerns.

They just have to utilize him in that capacity, which they haven’t really done yet. 

The ideal Beasley game, as I’ve said here before, that helps the team?

6 targets, 5 receptions, 40 yards, and 4 first downs.

That’s who is.  That’s who he was. THAT’s what they need.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It can’t hurt to have Crowder healthy. One injury away from needing him big time.

My hope or thought is that the Bills know what Beasley can do and have already flashed it. The 2-15 catch against Chicago for 9 yards was vintage Bease. I am waiting for the game against a zone coverage team where Cole goes for like 8 catches 75 yards and a TD. 

At this point, I don't know if Jamison Crowder even makes a difference.  Just another body that will get 1-2 targets if he's lucky.  This passing game just feels like it lacks focus and structure at the core, and probably needs to go back to the drawing board in the offseason.  

We have talent at the position.  Not Cincinnati Bengals talent.  But enough that we shouldn't be shut-down so easily by defenses.  Week after week (for the past two months), we get short spurts of rhythm and success.  Maybe 1-2 quarters, and then it goes right back to being a grind.  Something has just felt off.

All the hype about re-signing John Brown and Cole Beasley... I think we got one target for Brown down the sideline, and nothing since.  Beasley caught a couple passes and has been a ghost otherwise.  Meanwhile we had at least 2-3 times in the Bears game where Josh Allen was forcing the ball downfield into tight coverage to Isaiah McKenzie.  Is Khalil Shakir actually on this team?  And how many more games can Stefon Diggs be completely ignored before he starts getting frustrated?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Beast said:

I’d rather see Beasley or McKenzie, especially at this point of the season. I don’t want Allen trying to find chemistry with any receiver come playoff time.

I don't know about that--I'm no fan of McKenzie, and Beasley may be done--but whenever I think of Crowder, I remember that slightly high pass from Allen bouncing off his tiny hands for an interception. That might have been a chemistry problem on the part of Crowder, who may not have been accustomed to Allen's high velocity. 

10 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

We have talent at the position.  Not Cincinnati Bengals talent.  But enough that we shouldn't be shut-down so easily by defenses.  Week after week (for the past two months), we get short spurts of rhythm and success.  Maybe 1-2 quarters, and then it goes right back to being a grind.  Something has just felt off.

But are those short bursts of success because of WR talent or Allen making things happen? I see a superstar surrounded by mediocrity players (except for Diggs) and making them look special. Put it this way: can you think of a WR besides Diggs bailing out Allen this season with a great catch? And how many drops can you remember from MacKenzie alone? 

No, this is a team with a bottom-tier offensive line and a truly mediocre set of WRs aside from Diggs. Allen by himself makes commentators gush that "this offense is loaded" and "Allen is surrounded by weapons." 

• Agree 3

22 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

At this point, I don't know if Jamison Crowder even makes a difference.  Just another body that will get 1-2 targets if he's lucky.  This passing game just feels like it lacks focus and structure at the core, and probably needs to go back to the drawing board in the offseason.  

All the hype about re-signing John Brown and Cole Beasley... I think we got one target for Brown down the sideline, and nothing since.  Beasley caught a couple passes and has been a ghost otherwise.  Meanwhile we had at least 2-3 times in the Bears game where Josh Allen was forcing the ball downfield into tight coverage to Isaiah McKenzie.  Is Khalil Shakir actually on this team?  And how many more games can Stefon Diggs be completely ignored before he starts getting frustrated?

The hype for both players is based on their past contributions with the team but most informed fans have a more realistic view of their current abilities.  But I think Brown and Beasley are two different players.  

With Brown you have a WR who relied on his speed and burst.  Like most of those receivers he lost a step when he turned 30, and it’s been downhill since.  He hasn’t been able to stick with a roster over the past two seasons.  Signing him to the PS was worth a shot but it was unreasonable to think he’d have any major contribution.

Beasley is a bit of a different story.  You can say he’s lost a step but his game never was predicated on speed.  While he might not be able to get much YAC, he should be able to rely on his smarts and route running ability to get into space and keep the chains moving.  Even with his depleted abilities, Cole still had 82 receptions in 2021.  

So because I think Beasley can still help the team as a slot WR, it’s going to hard to find a spot from Crowder

17 minutes ago, finn said:

But are those short bursts of success because of WR talent or Allen making things happen? I see a superstar surrounded by mediocrity players (except for Diggs) and making them look special. Put it this way: can you think of a WR besides Diggs bailing out Allen this season with a great catch? And how many drops can you remember from MacKenzie alone? 

No, this is a team with a bottom-tier offensive line and a truly mediocre set of WRs aside from Diggs. Allen by himself makes commentators gush that "this offense is loaded" and "Allen is surrounded by weapons." 

Completely agree. Allen needs more help on offense. We need one more elite player on offense. Preferably a skill position, but even OL would be fine. Whatever is done, Beane needs to emphasize the offense more. Our best weapon is Allen, so he needs all the help he can get to maximize our teams success. 

Having an offense that can score points at will, will take pressure off of the defense anyway, forcing the other teams to be more one dimensional. 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

As much as I want cole to step in and be that guy Jamison, Crowder was the guy that was supposed to be feeling that rule

Do we get them back this season yes or no

Given the fact that he hasn't played all year or been able to really stay in shape & given the fact of his injury history then you compare it to Bease i for one will vote that they don't bring him back because i don't believe he is a upgrade in any way over Bease & it would take time for him to get back into the Bills game .

By the time (If he is ready) he would return they would be in the midst of the play offs & by that time Bease will once again have a good grasp on the Offense so why upset the apple cart ? 

Beasley wasn't let go because of his play given the amount of catches & yardage he had the 2 prior seasons he was at the top of the list & then you put into the mix the chemistry that Josh has with him which Josh hasn't had the chance to develop with Crowder I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it & i would hope Beane & McD would see the same thing ...

GO BILLS !!! 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, T master said:

Given the fact that he hasn't played all year or been able to really stay in shape & given the fact of his injury history then you compare it to Bease i for one will vote that they don't bring him back because i don't believe he is a upgrade in any way over Bease & it would take time for him to get back into the Bills game .

By the time (If he is ready) he would return they would be in the midst of the play offs & by that time Bease will once again have a good grasp on the Offense so why upset the apple cart ? 

Beasley wasn't let go because of his play given the amount of catches & yardage he had the 2 prior seasons he was at the top of the list & then you put into the mix the chemistry that Josh has with him which Josh hasn't had the chance to develop with Crowder I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it & i would hope Beane & McD would see the same thing ...

GO BILLS !!! 

I’m a little concerned about his lack of production since he’s been back he only had like what two catches in the last game

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m a little concerned about his lack of production since he’s been back he only had like what two catches in the last game

But his snap count hasn't been very high & he had less snaps the last game than the game prior which was only like 11 snaps so out of 2 games & what other targets Josh has i think that's not a bad & he will get more snaps as the play offs get deeper .

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Me too.  I expected a little more from both Beas and Smoke. Maybe they are being treated like the rookies, have to come in and prove themselves (all over again).   IMO, McKenzie did not secure the job against Chicago so the opportunity for change still exists.

As House mentioned above, getting another weapon for the playoffs would be nice.  But this Cincy game has a mini-playoff feel to it.

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

All fair points. What I've been wondering is if they're limiting the offense intentionally these last few games in order to keep some things in their back pocket for the playoffs. I wonder if that's why they have the inconsistency. Doesn't seem like they're doing anything super creative, not a lot of misdirection or pre-snap motion, but they're able to score enough to win despite stalling out on several drives. Just makes me wonder if they're like, hey that's fine, we still won and we didn't have to bust out our big money plays. 

I could be totally wrong and they could be out there running their big time stuff and just not doing it well. But I feel like once the playoffs start we'll see the offense spark a little more.

Edited by blacklabel

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I believe alot of the offensive struggles fall on Dorsey.  He's not as innovative as Daboll and it shows.  He's a rookie OC trying to navigate his way through a season with a mediocre OL.  Constant pressure forces routes to breakdown quickly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, DJB said:

My grandma has better hands than McKenzie so a Beasley and Crowder combo works for me

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’d rather have Beasley and YOU, than McKittrick.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

lol posters dumping on McKenzie while pining for a bum like Crowder.   He was a total zero in this Offense before he was injured (yet again).

This place is nuts

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I believe alot of the offensive struggles fall on Dorsey. He's not as innovative as Daboll and it shows. He's a rookie OC trying to navigate his way through a season with a mediocre OL. Constant pressure forces routes to breakdown quickly. 

Dorsey, I suspect, is learning as he goes. The talent around Allen is not good and Josh's arm is probably not 100%. He seems to sail a pass now and then and that makes for easy picks. Note that he's thrown many if not most of his picks since his arm injury.
Gabe is streaky. Isiah isn't starter material. Shakir isn't ready. Beasley and Brown aren't scaring anyone. Singletary is above average. Cook is still coming along. The OL is a liability and has been for a while. I think our defense had better step up on MNF in Cincinnati if we're going to win. I don't see our run game having the same success 2 weeks in a row. The Bengals have a much better defense than Chicago.

3 hours ago, finn said:

If you don't count Davis' one-handed TD grab against Pittsburgh as great I'd say that's on you and not him. His contested catch 30 seconds before the half in the Vikes game was also really sweet. Shakir's contested 31 yarder against Pittsburgh was really nice.

And counting Knox, Singletary, Davis and Cook, he absolutely is surrounded by weapons. Elite weapons? No, but weapons, yes. And that's the way a lot of teams look. Where are Mahomes' elite WRs. Kelce's elite. Otherwise he's got some good guys but nothing deeply special.

And that is absolutely not a "bottom-tier offensive line," though they certainly took a step back with Morse out.

There's a tendency to get frustrated if there's not someone special at every position. But that's not a reasonable possibility. You're always making compromises, that's the world GMs deal with.

42 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If you don't count Davis' one-handed TD grab against Pittsburgh as great I'd say that's on you and not him. His contested catch 30 seconds before the half in the Vikes game was also really sweet. Shakir's contested 31 yarder against Pittsburgh was really nice.

And counting Knox, Singletary, Davis and Cook, he absolutely is surrounded by weapons. Elite weapons? No, but weapons, yes. And that's the way a lot of teams look. Where are Mahomes' elite WRs. Kelce's elite. Otherwise he's got some good guys but nothing deeply special.

And that is absolutely not a "bottom-tier offensive line," though they certainly took a step back with Morse out.

There's a tendency to get frustrated if there's not someone special at every position. But that's not a reasonable possibility. You're always making compromises, that's the world GMs deal with.

I get it that we can't expect greatness at every position. My point is that the meh-ness of the Bills offense is disguised by Allen's brilliance, and that many of his mistakes are due to his trying to work with average or below average talent. I remember that Gabe Davis catch, but I also remember his many drops and general invisibility.

Cincinnati, Philadelphia, San Francisco, maybe even Miami could thrive with a competent backup QB. The Bills could not. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.