Do we get Jamison Crowder back this season?

John from Riverside

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

There is no doubt Ken Dorsey is saving Cole Beasley for the playoffs 

Well it’s Playoofs NOW! Home Field waits the winner of this titanic game!

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol posters dumping on McKenzie while pining for a bum like Crowder.   He was a total zero in this Offense before he was injured (yet again).

This place is nuts

As an expert, I’ll take your word on this. 🤦‍♂️

36 minutes ago, finn said:

I get it that we can't expect greatness at every position. My point is that the meh-ness of the Bills offense is disguised by Allen's brilliance, and that many of his mistakes are due to his trying to work with average or below average talent. I remember that Gabe Davis catch, but I also remember his many drops and general invisibility.

Cincinnati, Philadelphia, San Francisco, maybe even Miami could thrive with a competent backup QB. The Bills could not. 

We all love Allen, but many of his mistakes are him trying to do too much.  It's just that simple.  He can be the greatest QB the Bills have ever had and still be making mistakes. These two things can both be true.  He is leading the league in INTs and has had what maybe 6 dropped INTs this season.  That doesn't happen by accident or a few tipped balls at the LOS.  He has been reckless with the ball and in particular this year he has been in the red-zone repeatedly.  When he is not, the Bills win with ease.  

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol posters dumping on McKenzie while pining for a bum like Crowder.   He was a total zero in this Offense before he was injured (yet again).

This place is nuts

so is this take... Crowder was better than no hands Mckenzie earlier in the year and he still better than him. 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

even worse.  Crowder was a dud last year with the jets. Looking for Crowder to come in for his 1.2 catches per game-that’s WHEN he’s able to answer the bell

cone on

That bum had 52 catches and a 71% Catch rate last year... BOTH better than the current bum. no hands Mckenzie 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Beasley’s career, even as a Bill, has been short yardage receiving patterns and situations.

There is no real timing or same page scenario to work on.

read that again.

Short yardage plays are 100% timing and location. It's what the west coast offense was built on. Tom Brady built his career around them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, blacklabel said:

All fair points. What I've been wondering is if they're limiting the offense intentionally these last few games in order to keep some things in their back pocket for the playoffs. I wonder if that's why they have the inconsistency. Doesn't seem like they're doing anything super creative, not a lot of misdirection or pre-snap motion, but they're able to score enough to win despite stalling out on several drives. Just makes me wonder if they're like, hey that's fine, we still won and we didn't have to bust out our big money plays. 

I could be totally wrong and they could be out there running their big time stuff and just not doing it well. But I feel like once the playoffs start we'll see the offense spark a little more.

This is my hope.  The Bills have been holding back much of the season, saving their best stuff for the stretch run.

We should have a better idea by Tuesday morning.  The Bengals game is the next closest thing to a playoff game. 

If we finally look like the Week 1-2 Bills, everyone and their grandma is going to jump right back on the Super Bowl bandwagon.

If we continue to look flat, sloppy and inconsistent... it's a really bad sign for our chances in the postseason.

6 hours ago, finn said:

But are those short bursts of success because of WR talent or Allen making things happen? I see a superstar surrounded by mediocrity players (except for Diggs) and making them look special. Put it this way: can you think of a WR besides Diggs bailing out Allen this season with a great catch? And how many drops can you remember from MacKenzie alone? 

No, this is a team with a bottom-tier offensive line and a truly mediocre set of WRs aside from Diggs. Allen by himself makes commentators gush that "this offense is loaded" and "Allen is surrounded by weapons." 

Compared to most other NFL offenses, the Bills are in decent shape talent-wise.

Very few teams have two excellent WRs (we are playing one of the few on Monday).  Looking at some of the other top scoring teams, the Chiefs have an elite Tight End and a bunch of mediocre WRs/RBs.  The Cowboys have one good WR and a strong running game.  

Most of this season, I feel like the Bills are just shooting themselves in the foot (over and over) and making easy things harder than they should:

- So many complaints about Dorsey lacking creativity.  He could solve this by simply going back to the Daboll's 2021 playbook.  But no.

- Why do we continue to have Isaiah McKenzie playing so many snaps in the slot?  Especially after signing Beasley.  It's just not working.

- Josh Allen continually forcing passes and refusing to take the easy check-downs.  Turnovers are going to kill this team.

40 minutes ago, gordong said:

That bum had 52 catches and a 71% Catch rate last year... BOTH better than the current bum. no hands Mckenzie 

"last year" isn't "earlier in the year".

Tell us how Crowder was better "earlier in the year" (4 games, 6 of 13, or 46%, catches for 60 yards)--be specific.  I'll help you by pointing out that McKenzie caught 15 passes for 153 yards in those same 4 games. 

While you're working on that, tell us how Crowder, on IR, in addition to "earlier in the year", is "still better" than McKenzie.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

We all love Allen, but many of his mistakes are him trying to do too much.  It's just that simple.  He can be the greatest QB the Bills have ever had and still be making mistakes. These two things can both be true.  He is leading the league in INTs and has had what maybe 6 dropped INTs this season.  That doesn't happen by accident or a few tipped balls at the LOS.  He has been reckless with the ball and in particular this year he has been in the red-zone repeatedly.  When he is not, the Bills win with ease.  

I agree. He's hearing all the Superman, cyborg unicorn stuff and he's simply trying to do it all. And the stats reflect that as he's 90%+ the offense.  He's gotta calm down and minimize the sugar rush JA.  But all this doesn't discount the fact that we need a true WR2 and much better OL play.

17 hours ago, T master said:

Given the fact that he hasn't played all year or been able to really stay in shape & given the fact of his injury history then you compare it to Bease i for one will vote that they don't bring him back because i don't believe he is a upgrade in any way over Bease & it would take time for him to get back into the Bills game .

By the time (If he is ready) he would return they would be in the midst of the play offs & by that time Bease will once again have a good grasp on the Offense so why upset the apple cart ? 

Beasley wasn't let go because of his play given the amount of catches & yardage he had the 2 prior seasons he was at the top of the list & then you put into the mix the chemistry that Josh has with him which Josh hasn't had the chance to develop with Crowder I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it & i would hope Beane & McD would see the same thing ...

GO BILLS !!! 

He's a MASSIVE upgrade over Beasley in just about every facet of the game at this point in his career. Beasley is completely washed. The fact that he still has so many stans given his 2 catches for 18 total yards over 2 games would be mind blowing except we all know that the outrageous fandom for the guy was never about his skill as a football player. There's never been a WR so hyped around here with 5700 yards and 34 TDs over an 11 season career.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, finn said:

I get it that we can't expect greatness at every position. My point is that the meh-ness of the Bills offense is disguised by Allen's brilliance, and that many of his mistakes are due to his trying to work with average or below average talent. I remember that Gabe Davis catch, but I also remember his many drops and general invisibility.

Cincinnati, Philadelphia, San Francisco, maybe even Miami could thrive with a competent backup QB. The Bills could not. 

Jesus! Don’t let @Mr. WEO see this!

On 12/29/2022 at 7:56 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

It can’t hurt to have Crowder healthy. One injury away from needing him big time.

My hope or thought is that the Bills know what Beasley can do and have already flashed it. The 2-15 catch against Chicago for 9 yards was vintage Bease. I am waiting for the game against a zone coverage team where Cole goes for like 8 catches 75 yards and a TD. 

They'll start his 21 day window, then in the playoffs they have unlimited PS moves, so he'll be on the PS and they'll be ready if someone goes down

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's a MASSIVE upgrade over Beasley in just about every facet of the game at this point in his career. Beasley is completely washed. The fact that he still has so many stans given his 2 catches for 18 total yards over 2 games would be mind blowing except we all know that the outrageous fandom for the guy was never about his skill as a football player. There's never been a WR so hyped around here with 5700 yards and 34 TDs over an 11 season career.

In 3 seasons with the Bills he was go to when they needed a catch didn't matter what situation very seldom if ever dropped a ball & the chemistry Josh had with him was great & given the need of a dependable slot man seeing as Mckenzie & Shakir or who ever else hasn't proved to be that guy Bease i feel can still do it .

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/cole-beasley-stats-with-the-bills#:~:text=Cole Beasley had 231 catches,the Bills in his career.

Yep washed up state right here !! Sure Crowder may be a upgrade but hows his production been with his injury history i'll wait ?? 

That's right 0 catches this year and when ever he's been injured which has been quite a bit the ability is AVAILABILITY which is not his strong point Bease played through a bad injury last year & most of us didn't know he was injured tough as nails my kind of guy !! 

But you can have your opinion every one has one just doesn't always mean its right ...

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

35 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Jesus! Don’t let @Mr. WEO see this!

lol the Bills Offense is "meh"---so lets have a broken down, injured Crowder at the tail end of his career come out of the whirlpool tub to toss his 1-2 catches a game into the ring!  He can room with "Smokey" Brown!!

And Bengals with "Brandon" Allen "could thrive"?  lol come on!  Eagles lost their only game without Hurts.  Is Minshew gonna run for those 13 TDs?  These takes could melt the sun!!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, T master said:

That's right 0 catches this year and when ever he's been injured which has been quite a bit the ability is AVAILABILITY which is not his strong point Bease played through a bad injury last year & most of us didn't know he was injured tough as nails my kind of guy !! 

But you can have your opinion every one has one just doesn't always mean its right ...

You seriously need a Tin Foil Hat 😁

e1Untitled.png

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

My attitude about Bease, was "Shut up, and play football". He was a distraction to the team, and my opinion was 'good riddance', when he left. If he wants to be a productive team player, (It looks like that is the case) then all is forgiven.

We had & hard all the differences of opinion about how he handled his situation some for some against but when he was on the field there was no doubt what he brought to the team as far as being another weapon for Josh at just the right time & given his conversation prior to coming back i agree i think all is forgiven ! 

Now let's get him on the field and see what he can bring to win this game because i feel he could be utilized more in a game like this than others given his way of finding openings in the oppositions D !! 

54 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

My attitude about Bease, was "Shut up, and play football". He was a distraction to the team, and my opinion was 'good riddance', when he left. If he wants to be a productive team player, (It looks like that is the case) then all is forgiven.

I agree. I think few would question Beasley's effort on Sunday (or whatever day the game happened to be played). He certainly leaves everything he has on the field. The problem the last few seasons was he was beat to a pulp and didn't have a ton left to give come playoff time. Last season, the Bills looked distracted for much of the season until Allen went nuclear after halftime of the Bucs game and did all he could to will this team to greatness. I think Beasley's antics off the field were clearly part of the problem and in the offseason I think the front office's approach with him was an acknowledgement that he was running on empty and that he was a distraction. I think Beasley's social media sour grapes all season towards the organization add credence to this theory.

Unfortunately, I think Allen asking the FO to bring him back is as much an indictment of his trust in McKenzie and Shakir, and maybe to a lesser extent the RBs, as it is an endorsement of Beasley. If they use him, I'm sure he'll bring more reliable hands than what we have, I just wonder if he has enough left to fight through the high traffic areas that he made his living in the past few seasons and still get the separation he needs to be effective. I'm skeptical.

Edited by transient

On 12/30/2022 at 10:20 AM, Mr. WEO said:

lol the Bills Offense is "meh"---so lets have a broken down, injured Crowder at the tail end of his career come out of the whirlpool tub to toss his 1-2 catches a game into the ring!  He can room with "Smokey" Brown!!

And Bengals with "Brandon" Allen "could thrive"?  lol come on!  Eagles lost their only game without Hurts.  Is Minshew gonna run for those 13 TDs?  These takes could melt the sun!!

What are you talking about? He's 29.

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

So he's nowhere near "the end of his career". He probably has another 5-6 years left.

Nowhere near. His body has broken down already. The injuries have taken their toll. 

He will be out of the NFL in a couple of years. Might he help a bit if he came back now for the playoffs? Possibly because our slot production hasn't been good but he isn't an option beyond that.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nowhere near. His body has broken down already. The injuries have taken their toll. 

He will be out of the NFL in a couple of years. Might he help a bit if he came back now for the playoffs? Possibly because our slot production hasn't been good but he isn't an option beyond that.

That's just complete nonsense not backed up by production. He's been hurt this year and has had mild injuries the rest of his career. Prior to this year he only had one other season where he played in less than 12 games.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh—you mean like John Brown?

No, nothing like John Brown.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's just complete nonsense not backed up by production. He's been hurt this year and has had mild injuries the rest of his career. Prior to this year he only had one other season where he played in less than 12 games.

It is backed up by his production. Which has fallen. It is backed up by watching him play (and I am a Crowder fan have been since he was drafted) and it is backed up by the fact he lost a camp battle to Isaiah McKenzie - in part because he couldn't get on the practice field and stay healthtly. 

There is no way the Crowder of 3 years ago loses that battle. He just isn't that guy anymore. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

No, nothing like John Brown.

sure 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is backed up by his production. Which has fallen. It is backed up by watching him play (and I am a Crowder fan have been since he was drafted) and it is backed up by the fact he lost a camp battle to Isaiah McKenzie - in part because he couldn't get on the practice field and stay healthtly. 

There is no way the Crowder of 3 years ago loses that battle. He just isn't that guy anymore. 

Again I have no idea how you're getting here. 2 years ago he had 59 catches for 699 yards 6 TDs and 32 1st downs in just 12 games. This while playing for the Jets.

He had a down year last season, but so did everyone playing for the Jets. Him winning or losing a battle in pre-season really doesn't tell you much at all, especially given this coaching staffs decisions with regards to underperfoming veterans familiar with the system. McKenzie also beat out and continue to play ahead of Shakir. Cook played behind Moss and took 3/4 of the season to get to a 50/50 timeshare. It's just the way McD rolls.

And the far more important point is that he would be an immediate upgrade over a non-NFL talent in mcKenzie and a broken down senior citizen in Beasley and his 6 catches for 35 yards and 1st down over 4 games this year. I think Shakir offers upside over them all and would prefer we work him in.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Disagree 2

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Again I have no idea how you're getting here. 2 years ago he had 59 catches for 699 yards 6 TDs and 32 1st downs in just 12 games. This while playing for the Jets.

He had a down year last season, but so did everyone playing for the Jets. Him winning or losing a battle in pre-season really doesn't tell you much at all, especially given this coaching staffs decisions with regards to underperfoming veterans familiar with the system. McKenzie also beat out and continue to play ahead of Shakir. Cook played behind Moss and took 3/4 of the season to get to a 50/50 timeshare. It's just the way McD rolls.

So he had a down year last year and struggled to stay healthy. Had to take a low end prove it deal with the Bills in FA. Then he got hurt in camp. Then lost a camp battle to a career backup. Then struggled to make an impact when he was healthy the first 4 games. Then got hurt. 

And you don't see where I am coming from? I think that chain of events tells a story.

If he has a Lazarus like career resurrection next year nobody will be more pleased for him than me even if it is on another team. Always been a fan. But I won't hold my breath.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.