3 way tie for conference lead possibility

ehfeuh57

I affirm what zow and Boatdrinks are saying.  The first tiebreaker is head to head results.  Buffalo has the tiebreaker over KC already.  A win over Buffalo gives Cincinnati the tiebreaker over Buffalo, and they already have it over KC.  Had these three teams not played each other, there are a bunch of other tiebreakers they can go to in order to determine the seeding in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

As others have said, Cincy would get the #1 if all three teams are tied and the Bengals beat the Bills.

The easy way to look at it is, if the Bills beat Cincinnati, they clinch no lower than the #2 seed.  The game against New England would then be for the #1 seed, regardless of what KC and Cincinnati do.

The good news is, even if the Bills lose to Cincinnati, they can still get the #1 seed with a win over NE and losses by KC (@ LV) and Cin (vs BLT) in Week 18.  Even a loss by either team would give the Bills the #2 seed.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The real bummer would be losing to Cinci and KC continues to win which is the most likely scenario. We go from 1 to 3 and our 2nd and 3rd playoff game are likely on the road. In other words, this is a BIG GAME

You are correct.  The game against Cincinnati is critical for that reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The real bummer would be losing to Cinci and KC continues to win which is the most likely scenario. We go from 1 to 3 and our 2nd and 3rd playoff game are likely on the road. In other words, this is a BIG GAME

How ridiculous is that, the Bills could be 13-4 and be the 3 seed, so much for the rest of the AFC West helping us out.

• Like (+1) 3

As it stands now Bills get they bye and Miami would play KC and Chargers would play Bengals.  Those could be two upsets which would then set up Bills Miami 3rd game in division round, and Chargers then beat the winner of Baltimore/Jags.  All of this sets up perfectly for my prediction of Bills Chargers in AFC Championship in Buffalo.  To be clear I had Chargers winning the AFC West not a WC team, but I still like my chances.  

For the life of me I can't remember who I picked in the NFC.  I'm too lazy to go back and search for it.  Maybe Dallas / Tampa in NFC Championship???  

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

As it stands now Bills get they bye and Miami would play KC and Chargers would play Bengals.  Those could be two upsets which would then set up Bills Miami 3rd game in division round, and Chargers then beat the winner of Baltimore/Jags.  All of this sets up perfectly for my prediction of Bills Chargers in AFC Championship in Buffalo.  To be clear I had Chargers winning the AFC West not a WC team, but I still like my chances.  

For the life of me I can't remember who I picked in the NFC.  I'm too lazy to go back and search for it.  Maybe Dallas / Tampa in NFC Championship???  

There is no way in hell that Grandpa Bay is making it to the championship game this year. They will be lucky to get past the wild card round

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It goes to head-to-head matchups basically in order to be able to have the number one seed we need to beat Cincy

Yeah we need to beat Cincy. But if we lost, Cincy could still lose to Baltimore Week 18 and KC would need to lose one of its final two games. Then we would still be the number one seed (assuming we bet New England in the finale).

[Typo]

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, chongli said:

Yeah we need to beat Cincy. But if we lost, Cincy could still lose to Baltimore Week 18 and KC would need to lose of its final two games. Then we would still be the number one seed (assuming we bet New England in the finale).

KC would only need to lose one of its two games, not both.

Furthermore, if Denver somehow beats KC on Sunday (don't see it happening, but any given Sunday) the Bills could clinch the #1 seed with a win against Cincy on MNF.

Baltimore could still win the AFC North, too, who the Bills have a tiebreaker over, so they could play a factor in final seeding, too.

Edited by BLeonard
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BLeonard said:

Furthermore, if Denver somehow beats KC on Sunday (don't see it happening, but any given Sunday) the Bills could clinch the #1 seed with a win against Cincy on MNF.

Baltimore could still win the AFC North, too, who the Bills have a tiebreaker over, so they could play a factor in final seeding, too.

Yep. [I forgot to include "one" in " "KC would need to lose of its final two games" in my original post].

30 minutes ago, BLeonard said:

Yes, if the Ravens beat Steelers and Bengals, then even if we lose to Bengals, Ravens win the AFC North and we have the tie breaker over them so #2 seed (I believe even if we lost both remaining games). We'd need to beat the Pats, and the Broncos or Raiders to beat the Chiefs to get #1 seed in that scenario.

Of course, we still want to win out and guarantee the #1 seed by controlling our own destiny though.

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

Just win out!

Yea the Bills take care of their business so they got no excuses.  If they want to have the added bonus of the 12th man cheering them on and making it difficult for opponents then they get these two games won and done and prep for playoffs.  Anything else they need the extra game of live practice to prove they are the best team this year.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The only other thing is which is better in terms of wild card match up? Playing the 6 seed or the 7 seed? I feel like the Chargers are the most dangerous team. They are about to get fully healthy it looks like. While the Bills and Chargers don't have much history, the Chargers always play the Chiefs to a one score game, so they clearly have the talent and ability to knock of the top three teams in the Bills, Chiefs and Bengals. 

Chargers are currently the six seed but I think they move up to the 5 seed by seasons end. I see the Ravens losing their last two games against the Steelers and Bengals. Would you rather play the Ravens or the Dolphins in the first round? That's a toss-up for me. Probably slight lean to the Ravens. While it would suck to have to play the Bengals on the road in the divisional round in this scenario, this scenario also most likely sends the Chargers to KC in the divisional round. I'd give the Chargers a 50/50 shot in that one. 

This really is a massive game this week though.

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Except some the "experts" on the wall say that Josh plays better on the road because he is terrible to bad weather games.

It is interesting that the top 3 seeds in AFC will all be non-dome teams but there are only three teams with domes in AFC with two of them being share croppers with NFC teams.

57 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Except some the "experts" on the wall say that Josh plays better on the road because he is terrible to bad weather games.

It is interesting that the top 3 seeds in AFC will all be non-dome teams but there are only three teams with domes in AFC with two of them being share croppers with NFC teams.

I’ve got AFC 4 domes, 1 shared with NFC. 

• Agree 1

Cinci would be number 1 seed based on head to head sweep having won both games AT HOME while Bills had to play both KC and Cinci ON THE ROAD. I could see head to head result as a valid tie breaker where the win is a road win (Bills take down KC on the road) but it should not be used where the team merely holds serve at home.  Should be scored like plus/minus in hockey. 

11 hours ago, DrDare said:

What happens if we lose to Cinci and KC  somehow drops a game and we all end up tied at the end of season?

tiebreakers are

head tohead

conferrnce revord

common games

KC lose to both Cincy and buffalo.

buffalo plays Cincy monday

cincy beats buffalo then they over take them and if kc loses ir becomes Cincy,buffalo, kc.

if kc doesn't lose then it’s kc, Cincy, Buffalo is seeding

buffalo beats Cincy snd kc lose buffalo secures top seed. If KC loses on Sunday, this game gets elevated to bring for the top seed and bye.

had KC lost a game in their last 3, and Cincy lost 1 then buffalo could have come into this monday game possible just resting players then play NE for roosted and not show the playbook to Cincy.

11 hours ago, BLeonard said:

As others have said, Cincy would get the #1 if all three teams are tied and the Bengals beat the Bills.

The easy way to look at it is, if the Bills beat Cincinnati, they clinch no lower than the #2 seed.  The game against New England would then be for the #1 seed, regardless of what KC and Cincinnati do.

The good news is, even if the Bills lose to Cincinnati, they can still get the #1 seed with a win over NE and losses by KC (@ LV) and Cin (vs BLT) in Week 18.  Even a loss by either team would give the Bills the #2 seed.

The Ravens clinched a playoff spot and in this scenario the Ravens have nothing to play for.

The 1 seed comes down to this game.  Then of course beating NE.  

We’re past the window of getting help.   

If Baltimore loses to Pittsburgh, then Cincy clinches division with a win

bari g falling behind by more than 1 game by Baltimore, week 18 balt- Cincy game is for division title.  Baltimore has all the tiebreakers and bear them earlier.

if buffalo loses to Cincy, thry need Cincy lose to balt, snd kc lose 1 of final 2 to regain top seed.

NewEngland beat Miami they control own fate for playoff spot.

if Jets win as well then jets/ Miami werk 18 winner would be in 2nd st 9-8 snd a WC if bills beat cheats in week 18.

that scenario could elevate the game toSaturday/ Sunday night

10 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

If Baltimore loses to Pittsburgh, then Cincy clinches division with a win

bari g falling behind by more than 1 game by Baltimore, week 18 balt- Cincy game is for division title.  Baltimore has all the tiebreakers and bear them earlier.

if buffalo loses to Cincy, thry need Cincy lose to balt, snd kc lose 1 of final 2 to regain top seed.

NewEngland beat Miami they control own fate for playoff spot.

if Jets win as well then jets/ Miami werk 18 winner would be in 2nd st 9-8 snd a WC if bills beat cheats in week 18.

that scenario could elevate the game toSaturday/ Sunday night

Ok that’s right Baltimore beat them.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.