NFL Week # 16 - Bills at Bears - post game thread

BuffaloBill

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

They have used him on plenty of designed runs.  Guessing we didn’t see those today because he’s been hurting a bit.

Yes but a lot of his biggest rushes are when the DL isn't disciplined which allows him to scramble for a bunch of yards. He's been a magician at somehow escaping sacks and sprinting down the field for chunk yardage. He had 2 consecutive games of 170+ rushing yards. Like I came into this game expecting him to rip off a couple big runs and knew the defense would have to live with it. Instead we gave him nothing. It's really impressive.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

As a Bills fan I will take the win but this Bills team has a good record but doesn’t seem as good offensively as last season. Part of it is the Josh Allen elbow injury part of it is losing OC Brian Daboll to the New York Giants. Ken Dorsey offense is just a little bit off with Josh Allen. I had another issue with Sean McDermott not using the timeouts at the end of the second quarter to force a potential punt deep in the Chicago Bears own end of the field. Also the lack of targets to Stefon Diggs is bizarre but Sean McDermott is bizarre who just keeps padding his bank account.

BSF you are bizarre because you are always knocking Sean McDermott calling him a bum why can’t you say Sean McDermott is great and wonderful? I will say that about “Mr 13 seconds “ Sean McDermott when he actually wins a Super Bowl for Buffalo. BSF you are also too hard on wonderful Terry Pegula? See Sean McDermott when Terry Pegula wins something more than his bank account like a actual championship of any kind for Buffalo. Buffalo Bills, Sabres or even Buffalo Bandits then I will give Terry Pegula praise. Until then Terry Pegula is a no good greedy bum who can’t win the big one. “Howard Hughes” like Terry Pegula to me until the bum win something anything he can’t win a Bandits lacrosse championship he is a bum owner.

Yes the Buffalo Bills won today but Sean McDermott is flawed as a head coach we will see if he gets past the Kansas City Chiefs at home in Buffalo. I am not expecting it more likely Sean McDermott will mess it up somehow in the end along with that bum Terry Pegula. The whole Bills football show is over the minute QB Josh Allen gets fed up waiting to win a Super Bowl with the cheap eccentric owner Terry Pegula and incompetent head coach Sean McDermott there both bums until they actually win a championship for Buffalo no excuses in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I just don't see Cook being the starter this season. That's my point. He's a rookie, still makes mistakes, isn't as reliable as Motor, and his rapport with Allen is ongoing. With the Bills in win now mode with upcoming crucial games it's no time to change. It's not like Motor is playing poorly. 

I agree that Allen and Cook are still working on their chemistry. On the second INT that was a bad throw (Allen said the wind took it) Cook didn’t even expect to get the ball. He’s running a route but doesn’t even raise his hands up to attempt a catch. Maybe he could have prevented the pick, it wasn’t that high over him.

They just don’t seem to be 100% on the same page with those safety valve RB outlets. I rarely see the same issues with Singletary (although he’ll drop the occasional dump off). Hopefully something to improve on for next season when Singletary might be gone.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Takeaways:

Josh Allen loves to play hero ball against teams he thinks he is better against and he did it again today. I'm not sure if he does it to test his arm, but you can tell when there are zero fox given about playing it safe. 

I think this is accurate. When we are playing weak opponents, he is always looking to hit home runs. It’s almost too boring for josh and the bills to take the easy stuff against these bad defenses.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Probably between $6M-$7M/yr I would guess. (3yr $18M)

I think between Singletary and Cook we have a very nice RBBC and I think Hines is more than capable to fill in occasionally as RB3 while also doubling as our STs guy.

I think RBBC is absolutely the way to go in todays NFL. You want a more consistent running attack? Build a behemoth of an OL.

RD1 has to be either WR or OL imo.

Not to mention the fact that it really is showing you can find running backs anywhere Kansas City found that guy they’re using right now and the seventh round

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think this is accurate. When we are playing weak opponents, he is always looking to hit home runs. It’s almost too boring for josh and the bills to take the easy stuff against these bad defenses.  

I see no reason why we shouldn’t try that stuff.  It puts more things on film for our better opponents to think about, and it’s less risky because we know we’re good enough to win anyway. 

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So here's a crazy thought... maybe....

Are the Bills a better running team when VanRoten is playing?  Played all game and ran the best they have all season.  Last week played in the 4th quarter when ran real well too.

Could it be that we are a better running team whenever Bates is playing center?

Observations from Field level.  Allen was not stepping into throws.  Poor technique led to turnovers.  Poor ball control by runners and receivers.  Chronic holding.  Overall a very sloppy game from the offense.  On defense only thing of note is that White is not quite up to speed.  He should be by playoffs.  Burrow and the Bengals WRs will target him.  A good win but this team makes too many mistakes.   Teams like KC or Cincinnati will make them pay dearly.  

• Eyeroll 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe except Bates didn't play last week and they ran well when VanRoten moved over to center.

So could ask are they a better running team when Morse isn't playing center??   But most accounts feel Morse has been the best lineman all season??

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Maybe except Bates didn't play last week and they ran well when VanRoten moved over to center.

So could ask are they a better running team when Morse isn't playing center??   But most accounts feel Morse has been the best lineman all season??

Even in his too fat state, Dockins is still our best lineman

3 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Observations from Field level.  Allen was not stepping into throws.  Poor technique led to turnovers.  Poor ball control by runners and receivers.  Chronic holding.  Overall a very sloppy game from the offense.  On defense only thing of note is that White is not quite up to speed.  He should be by playoffs.  Burrow and the Bengals WRs will target him.  A good win but this team makes too many mistakes.   Teams like KC or Cincinnati will make them pay dearly.  

It’s the same thing here every week - we make mistakes while other “great” teams don’t. 

I had the Chiefs game on at the same time as the Bills and the Chiefs went quarters without doing anything on offense. At one point I think they had 3 three and outs. 

And the Bengals almost blew a lead vs the crappy Pats. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

As a Bills fan I will take the win but this Bills team has a good record but doesn’t seem as good offensively as last season. Part of it is the Josh Allen elbow injury part of it is losing OC Brian Daboll to the New York Giants. Ken Dorsey offense is just a little bit off with Josh Allen. I had another issue with Sean McDermott not using the timeouts at the end of the second quarter to force a potential punt deep in the Chicago Bears own end of the field. Also the lack of targets to Stefon Diggs is bizarre but Sean McDermott is bizarre who just keeps padding his bank account.

BSF you are bizarre because you are always knocking Sean McDermott calling him a bum why can’t you say Sean McDermott is great and wonderful? I will say that about “Mr 13 seconds “ Sean McDermott when he actually wins a Super Bowl for Buffalo. BSF you are also too hard on wonderful Terry Pegula? See Sean McDermott when Terry Pegula wins something more than his bank account like a actual championship of any kind for Buffalo. Buffalo Bills, Sabres or even Buffalo Bandits then I will give Terry Pegula praise. Until then Terry Pegula is a no good greedy bum who can’t win the big one. “Howard Hughes” like Terry Pegula to me until the bum win something anything he can’t win a Bandits lacrosse championship he is a bum owner.

Yes the Buffalo Bills won today but Sean McDermott is flawed as a head coach we will see if he gets past the Kansas City Chiefs at home in Buffalo. I am not expecting it more likely Sean McDermott will mess it up somehow in the end along with that bum Terry Pegula. The whole Bills football show is over the minute QB Josh Allen gets fed up waiting to win a Super Bowl with the cheap eccentric owner Terry Pegula and incompetent head coach Sean McDermott there both bums until they actually win a championship for Buffalo no excuses in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Is this sarcasm?

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yes, he's bored. That's precisely what I was going to say but I chose not to LOL

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So here's a crazy thought... maybe....

Are the Bills a better running team when VanRoten is playing?  Played all game and ran the best they have all season.  Last week played in the 4th quarter when ran real well too.

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Or, maybe today the Bills ran well against VERY light boxes. (Doesn't mean these other observations have no bearing, just that there was a TON of space out there today as the Bills spread it out and the Bears dropped into coverage looks.)

4 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

It’s the same thing here every week - we make mistakes while other “great” teams don’t. 

I had the Chiefs game on at the same time as the Bills and the Chiefs went quarters without doing anything on offense. At one point I think they had 3 three and outs. 

And the Bengals almost blew a lead vs the crappy Pats. 

You are wrong in your assessment.  I am not analyzing those other teams.  Just the Bills.  This team is too good to make mental errors and having ball control woes.  If they play mistake free football, they would be a juggernaut.  I do not give a hoot about other teams.  I hope that you are not okay with all the errors they are making.  Defense had a great game today and should be lauded for it. 

10 minutes ago, Nitro said:

You mean the team that recently squeaked out wins against the Texans and broncos will make them pay dearly? Or the team that just barely beat the patriots?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Nitro said:

How was the wind from field level?

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

You should change your screen name. You're the most un-super fan

Buffalo Super Sad and Depressing Fan-ish Person

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think you are getting a little lost with your stats. I've saud over and over that stats don't tell the whole story. That's exactly the case here. Look at your sample size. It's not like Cook has been beating the drum for upteen games. Sure he has been playing better and is explosive. That's a great thing for the Bills offense. However, Cook is anything but a proven reliable commodity. His nice stretch of play doesn't warrant the starting role over Singletary. It warrants more touches which he is getting. The 1-2 combo of Singletary and Cook is nice to see. Now isn't the time for promoting Cook. I might add that is feel much more comfortable with Motor starting in big game vs Cinci, KC, SD, Balt, or any other quality playoff team. It's not like Motor is playing poorly. He ripped off a 33 yard TD and ran for 106 yards. This reminds me of last year when he really started running the ball well during crunch time.

I can't believe you are "banging the drum" for Cook being the starter. Don't get lost in a tiny small sample of games and stats. 

Oh I'm banging the drum for Cook to start and get more playing time. And I love Singletary and have stuck up for him repeatedly because he's a solid player and he's been our only real option at RB for a few years now. 

I'm also not "just getting lost in the stats", he looks like the better, more explosive back more often than not over the last 6 weeks. That's when he started getting his first real chance to contribute in this offense. And imo he's outplayed Singletary. 

I would caution you on being too comfortable with the same old thing. One looks the part of a featured back, with the ability to make big plays and the other looks like a typical #2 RB, the best you can say about his game is he's steady. That's not meant to be a knock on Singletary, it's just the truth. We finally have the luxury of putting Singletary at his true position.

We know what we have in Singletary, he's hit his ceiling. He's the little engine that could and there's nothing wrong with that. We have no idea how high Cook's ceiling is, but you can plainly see it's higher than Singletary's by a noticeable margin. You get the feeling he could break one at anytime. I miss that at the RB position and you know what? So does this offense. With an offense desperate for big plays right now, this should be a no brainer. I think the coaches are starting to see it too. 2 of the last 4 games the carries were evenly split, each had a game with 1 more carry than the other.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I missed most of the game because I had to go to church etc etc Christmas Eve etc. I’ll watch it on DVR tomorrow. all I know is AFC East champs three-peat, blowout win and we’re on to Cincinnati. Merry Christmas ya filthy animals. 

You missed the game?? Say three Hail Mary's and break a table. Your sins are forgiven.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The only thing worse than your opinions is you grammar. Your unsubstantiated resentment of people who make more money than you and/or have more responsible careers makes you appear rather small and inconsequential. Terry Pegula is nothing like a cheap, greedy bum. By all accounts he is not eccentric and if he is, what's the problem? Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane are highly respected around the league and if they were to leave the Bills today they would be in high demand. I normally don't respond to a poster of your caliber but the above post of yours is not intended to bring about rational and civil discussion but to incite verbal warfare and mud throwing. If you made a post like this one after a really tough loss that shouldn't have happened I would still not agree or understand it but I wouldn't respond to it and just mark it down as a drunken post by a fan deeply disappointed and angry over a gut wrenching loss. You though, have no excuses however false they might be, and used this forum to inflame passions and spread nonsense on a day that the Bills won a game 35-13 under difficult playing conditions and a plethora of scheduling and injury circumstances.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I saw the first 30 min only 😭

I hope you got to enjoy something today friend because I'm quite certain you didn't enjoy much of that first half- you missed a dominant second half of Bills defense and straight running game - hope your day was great and the rest of your Holiday is as well

36 minutes ago, Nitro said:

So was anything at all good? Asking for a friend 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Or, maybe today the Bills ran well against VERY light boxes. (Doesn't mean these other observations have no bearing, just that there was a TON of space out there today as the Bills spread it out and the Bears dropped into coverage looks.)

It looked wide-open to me too I honestly think that if cook would’ve gotten more carries in this game, he may have went for 150.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It looked wide-open to me too I honestly think that if cook would’ve gotten more carries in this game, he may have went for 150.

Seriously. Other than a few 1-high pressure looks, the Bears were backing way off today. Cook and Singletary got off, but there was even more meat left on that bone. 

5 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Wow, this is some of the worst football analysis I’ve ever seen. You clearly don’t know what you are watching.

Fields didn’t run because we used a contained rush with a spy. The few times he tried, he got hit early and dropped.

But please, keep regaling us with your outstanding takes

Fields ran 7 times for 1.6 yds per carry

His season average is 7 yards per carry

He normally makes more attempts to run, but it would be a pretty good guess that if he were racking up the yardsies he woulda racked up the attempts, too

Good job by Frazier and the D

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Oh I'm banging the drum for Cook to start and get more playing time. And I love Singletary and have stuck up for him repeatedly because he's a solid player and he's been our only real option at RB for a few years now. 

I'm also not "just getting lost in the stats", he looks like the better, more explosive back more often than not over the last 6 weeks. That's when he started getting his first real chance to contribute in this offense. And imo he's outplayed Singletary. 

I would caution you on being too comfortable with the same old thing. One looks the part of a featured back, with the ability to make big plays and the other looks like a typical #2 RB, the best you can say about his game is he's steady. That's not meant to be a knock on Singletary, it's just the truth. We finally have the luxury of putting Singletary at his true position.

We know what we have in Singletary, he's hit his ceiling. He's the little engine that could and there's nothing wrong with that. We have no idea how high Cook's ceiling is, but you can plainly see it's higher than Singletary's by a noticeable margin. You get the feeling he could break one at anytime. I miss that at the RB position and you know what? So does this offense. With an offense desperate for big plays right now, this should be a no brainer. I think the coaches are starting to see it too. 2 of the last 4 games the carries were evenly split, each had a game with 1 more carry than the other.

We know what we have in Singletary. 100% correct and I'd be more than content to see him as the Bills starting RB.

Do we know what we have in Cook? Answer is no no and no. He's gone from being terrible to now playing well.  He is progessing and showing promise. By no means does he look elite or to be a game changer.  I don't think the Bills coaching would trust Cook to start in a must win game. 

55 minutes ago, Nitro said:

If they played as awful as you describe, then it sure is amazing they managed to win by 22.

Edited by Logic

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.