NFL Week # 16 - Bills at Bears - post game thread

BuffaloBill

13 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

So Bobby Hart got more snaps than Q'berry

Gabe gets more snaps than DIggs

Phillips got 15 snaps before injury, but none of our DL played more than 43 snaps.

I thought Jonathan had some nice moments.

I think we'll be OK.

Shakir outsnapped McKenzie 👀

48 minutes ago, finn said:

It may be time to acknowledge that Davis is just not an very good WR. Patrick Peterson claims he runs just three routes, and, watching him, I think that's right. He also has a very high drop rate, mediocre speed, and doesn't seem to try very hard, like when he didn't try for the TD throw with the CB in front of him; if he had, he might have drawn a PI call. With his size and ability to make sideline catches and the occasional fly route, he's valuable as a third WR, but he's nothing better than that, leaving the Bills with only one WR that scares opponents. Not a good situation heading into the playoffs, especially with Mackenzie falling short as a slot receiver. 

Sadly the Bills WR core is pretty weak. Lately, I've noticed the lack of separation from the WRs. When you make picks ups of the likes of Beasley and Brown that really tells us all we need to know. 

Several playoff teams or likely playoff teams have more  dangerous weapons. Chargers, Miami, and Cinci are clear cut above the Bills.

Mahomes has Kelce and a mediocre defense yet they still win. Bills have Allen and Diggs and a good defense. 

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I thought the 1st pick was just awful - double coverage, guess he didn't see underneath defender..

Looking back at the 2nd, I think he was trying to hit Cook underneath and the ball just sailed on him. I can live with those type ints

I think both INTs were bad. Both are on Allen and those turnovers have to stop. The Bills will likely not win playoff games if Allen makes those kinds of mistakes. The margin or error and winning is very thin amount the teams in the AFC. 

16 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I thought the 1st pick was just awful - double coverage, guess he didn't see underneath defender..

Looking back at the 2nd, I think he was trying to hit Cook underneath and the ball just sailed on him. I can live with those type ints

totally agree. I am fine with a pick on a bad throw or good play by the defender.

The bad decision picks though are painful to live with.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Sadly the Bills WR core is pretty weak. Lately, I've noticed the lack of separation from the WRs. When you make picks ups of the likes of Beasley and Brown that really tells us all we need to know. 

Several playoff teams or likely playoff teams have more  dangerous weapons. Chargers, Miami, and Cinci are clear cut above the Bills.

Mahomes has Kelce and a mediocre defense yet they still win. Bills have Allen and Diggs and a good defense. 

I think both INTs were bad. Both are on Allen and those turnovers have to stop. The Bills will likely not win playoff games if Allen makes those kinds of mistakes. The margin or error and winning is very thin amount the teams in the AFC. 

Ya I didn't like the 2nd one either but can at least live with it. 

And ya it really comes down to what our opponent does with the turnovers but in any game you want to win the t.o battle

23 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I didn't  see the game, but followed it and saw red zone.

I guess the question is that with the elements and the competition,  can anything really be taken away?

Obviously a great job of containing Fields.

yes, defense played great after 1st Qtr and shut down Fields. Allen made some bonehead plays but also closed the game out. Not an overall great game and still won 35-13

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

yes, defense played great after 1st Qtr and shut down Fields. Allen made some bonehead plays but also closed the game out. Not an overall great game and still won 35-13

That's what I took from it.  Hard to believe 12-3 & unfortunately Cincy game so crucial.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The weather conditions were worse than a lot of people think and it really affected play.

From Allen regarding the second interception (the Bears players all said that the weather was impossible too because of really strong and constantly shifting winds; see below):

“It's not so much the cold as it was the wind,” he said. “It just gusts you don't know really where it's coming from. Sometimes the flags are blowing one way and the next year they're blowing the opposite way. So again, just trying to find actually some of the shorter completions and being able to drive it obviously down the field, deep you're not going to have much success.

“Just got to be better again, decision wise, obviously that first interception wasn't a great decision. The second one, the wind just kind of was right in the face and I didn't get the nose of the ball down, it just kind of sailed on our back there. I can live with the second one, the first one just a bad decision. I’ve got to find a way to get it to a check down there and move on and live to fight another day.”

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/observations-bills-overcome-some-sloppy-play-to-clinch-third-straight-afc-east-title/article_14638368-83cf-11ed-831e-63bd16655ad6.html

From the Bears:

“Freezing,” tight end Cole Kmet said. “That was the coldest game I’ve ever played in.”

The 26-mph winds with gusts up to 35 mph made everything a little more difficult too.

“It was crazy,” quarterback Justin Fields said. “It really impacted the whole game. From snaps to even tosses. … (Those) were flying everywhere. The snaps were going everywhere. It definitely impacts the passing game and figuring out which way you want to throw the ball.”

Added receiver Dante Pettis: “Man, it was cold. And extremely windy. Even on the short routes, that ball would be moving and become a little difficult to track at times because of some of the bigger gusts. It was moving like a knuckleball at times.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-justin-fields-20221224-izkhrz3pr5cvnaulyqcamqfe7m-story.html

From the Bills kickers in that same Buffalo News piece linked to above:

“Some of the worst conditions I’ve played in in my 10 years,” Martin said. “Obviously, the temperature is already awful and then we were sitting at constant winds of 25 miles per hour and gusts up to 40. It was tough out there. It was a strange wind. You would feel it constantly in one direction and then all of a sudden, there would be a gust from the opposite direction. It was a real-time type of adjustment. Whatever I felt when I got ready to punt, that’s what I was going with. The gusts are what made it difficult because you didn’t know when they were coming and they were blowing on the drops, blowing on the snaps. It was one of the tougher games I’ve been a part of.”

Martin got off a beauty of a 62-yard punt in the fourth quarter.

“It was a hard left-to-right (wind) and when it comes to punting, it’s not the wind when the ball actually gets up there, it’s the drop to kick,” he said. “When it’s a strong crosswind, your drop is moving. Even in warm-up, there were a couple that I dropped and it ended up on the left side of my body and I hit 10 yards to the 10th row. You really have to hold on to the ball longer and really hope those gusts don’t come along right when you drop the ball.”

Bass said the wind simply carried his missed extra point wide right.

“I hit it good and hit it to my point, but once it got up into the wind, it just took it and pushed it right,” he said. “Kickoffs were pretty good. The wind was pretty hard in my face on a couple of them but once I got the ball up and through the wind, it would carry a little bit. It was really about getting good contact.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I agree about the ankle, and doubting that it’s still plaguing him.  Some of his stats are pretty much on-par with prior season (yards/catch, catch rate), except that he has more targets this year.  Maybe being on the field more and higher expectations are just better exposing weaknesses that have been there along?

Ask KC how good Gabe is. 4 TDs hell he still is scoring in them. 

1 hour ago, finn said:

It may be time to acknowledge that Davis is just not an very good WR. Patrick Peterson claims he runs just three routes, and, watching him, I think that's right. He also has a very high drop rate, mediocre speed, and doesn't seem to try very hard, like when he didn't try for the TD throw with the CB in front of him; if he had, he might have drawn a PI call. With his size and ability to make sideline catches and the occasional fly route, he's valuable as a third WR, but he's nothing better than that, leaving the Bills with only one WR that scares opponents. Not a good situation heading into the playoffs, especially with Mackenzie falling short as a slot receiver. 

What 3 routes does Peterson claim he runs?  Sounds like junk talk from an opponent to me.

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Dominant front 7 performance today. The greatest escape artist in the NFL didn't break off a single big run.

That's an amazing stat. #1 rush team in the NFL and Bills dominated them at their own game 

The defensive gameplan and execution was near flawless

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

That's an amazing stat. #1 rush team in the NFL and Bills dominated them at their own game 

The defensive gameplan and execution was near flawless

but but they scored on the first drive... so our defense is trash, frazier is trash, McDermott is trash, cant tackle, cant cover, worse game planners....

(sarcasm) but that is quite a few overreactive people on here... that schtick gets old.

• Agree 1

Just now, CaliBills said:

but but they scored on the first drive... so our defense is trash, frazier is trash, McDermott is trash, cant tackle, cant cover, worse game planners....

(sarcasm) but that is quite a few overreactive people on here... that schtick gets old.

I know. I went to a bar w friends so I wasn't in the GD thread like usual and made it much more relaxing lol but I'll def be on there next Mon. I'm usually optimistic and level headed 

4 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

I think all the mistakes and flubs from yesterday could be somewhat attributed to the wind and cold but I think it's more likely that the Bills were toying with the Bears.

No way on earth were the Bills toying with the Bears. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The AFC is strong at the top. This is the Bills best record in 31 years. 

I'd include teams like Balt, SD, and Miami as being very tough outs too. If any of these teams are in their "A" game they can be dangerous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya I didn't like the 2nd one either but can at least live with it. 

And ya it really comes down to what our opponent does with the turnovers but in any game you want to win the t.o battle

I truly hope that you can live with both picks. 

I know they signed Beasley & Brown and are barely using them. 

Think they are both down to 1 PS callup before playoffs.

Is Shakir good enough in the slot, or do we consider using Cook or Hines there in situations.

Hope this vaunted Bills defense comes to play on Monday in Cinci, we will need their best game

Apparently when Cinci lost at the Browns, they were without Chase and Browns tee'd off on Burrow.

Come on Bills, you can do this!

19 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd include teams like Balt, SD, and Miami as being very tough outs too. If any of these teams are in their "A" game they can be dangerous. 

The only teams who can match us across the board if both us and them are on our A Game are the Chiefs and the 49ers, IMO, with the likes of the Bengals, Eagles and Cowboys good enough to pick up on any weakness or mistake from us and exploit it. For all other teams, we need to give them a helping hand to beat us - indeed, see our three defeats this year.

11 hours ago, Logic said:

If they played as awful as you describe, then it sure is amazing they managed to win by 22.

Bears quit.  Their fans were upset that they did not try to throw.  I was sitting among a group of passionate but reasonable Bears supporters.  They were baffled down by 8 and they basically stopped trying to win. Their words.  Not mine.

12 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

You mean the team that recently squeaked out wins against the Texans and broncos will make them pay dearly? Or the team that just barely beat the patriots?  

Laugh but those offenses are formidable.  Be honest.  The Bills are playing some sloppy and at times reckless football.

12 hours ago, BananaB said:

How was the wind from field level?

Odd that it was not bad but only a dozen rows up you could feel it.  

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, BlazinBill said:

So was anything at all good? Asking for a friend 

There was good but if pointing out on on TBD the flaws is an issue well so be it.   If three turnovers, 9 penalties for 72 yards and missed assignments are acceptable tell your friend.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Bears quit.  Their fans were upset that they did not try to throw.  I was sitting among a group of passionate but reasonable Bears supporters.  They were baffled down by 8 and they basically stopped trying to win. Their words.  Not mine.

Laugh but those offenses are formidable.  Be honest.  The Bills are playing some sloppy and at times reckless football.

Odd that it was not bad but only a dozen rows up you could feel it.  

You seem really critical of the Bills mistakes but aren’t acknowledging that the other “formidable” offenses aren’t also screwing up. In both cases yesterday both the Bengals and Chiefs jumped out to leads but then both just stopped, in the Bengals case that caused them to almost lose. Thankfully for the Chiefs they played a team that couldn’t get anything going.

This isn’t the first time this season that has happened to either team as well. Sounds to me like as soon as teams figure them out they are able to stop them. The big difference is the Bills have the defense to keep it close and have shown they can close games now

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

You seem really critical of the Bills mistakes but aren’t acknowledging that the other “formidable” offenses aren’t also screwing up. In both cases yesterday both the Bengals and Chiefs jumped out to leads but then both just stopped, in the Bengals case that caused them to almost lose. Thankfully for the Chiefs they played a team that couldn’t get anything going.

This isn’t the first time this season that has happened to either team as well. Sounds to me like as soon as teams figure them out they are able to stop them. The big difference is the Bills have the defense to keep it close and have shown they can close games now

I am a realist.  The Bills have come close to being a Super Bowl level team only to fall flat.  This year, they have the talent to get over the top but have played sloppy football often this season.  Pointing out the flaws that should have been resolved weeks ago is a problem?  Every team struggles but self inflicted mistakes are brutal.  I acknowledge KC and Cincinnati had tough games.  We shall see if the Bills are able to over come mistakes next Monday night at Cincinnati.  You can not have three turn overs and that many penalties against another Super Bowl contender this late in the season.  The Bills are so close to the big game that I do not want another flame out like the 13 second game in KC.  

• Agree 2

I think this game was closer than the score, despite Chicago's poor offensive performance.  Bears just missed on a 1st down at the 13 yard line that would have made this a 28-20 game.  Chicago has terrible receivers, dropping easy passes that hurt the Bears too.  I don't think there was a chance the Bears could win but this would have been a blowout if not for those turnovers. Oh, and don't forget the Bills would have had a 1st down at the 19 before that penalty backed them up and 2 plays later Josh threw the int. 

The other thing about McKenzie, he wasn't getting much separation out there either.  Would like to see Allen target Shakir and Beasley more than McKenzie.

Edited by dakrider

18 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Ruthless playcalling by Dorsey at the end.  I loved it. 

Great performance by the D again.

Love it. Went for the kill. 

I don't think the Bears were thrilled with it which is why they delayed the inevitable spiking the ball in the final drive but that's okay. Needed that TD from Josh for fantasy football 😄

3 minutes ago, dakrider said:

I think this game was closer than the score, despite Chicago's poor offensive performance.  Bears just missed on a 1st down at the 13 yard line that would have made this a 28-20 game.  Chicago has terrible receivers, dropping easy passes that hurt the Bears too.  I don't think there was a chance the Bears could win but this would have been a blowout if not for those turnovers. Oh, and don't forget the Bills would have had a 1st down at the 19 before that penalty backed them up and 2 plays later Josh threw the int. 

The other thing about McKenzie, he wasn't getting much separation out there either.  Would like to see Allen target Shakir and Beasley more than McKenzie.

So a bad team made more mistakes, turned the ball over, and didn't execute well... yeah that's why they are not a good team 😄

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

What 3 routes does Peterson claim he runs?  Sounds like junk talk from an opponent to me.

Short, middle, deep 😄

6 minutes ago, Nitro said:

I am a realist.  The Bills have come close to being a Super Bowl level team only to fall flat.  This year, they have the talent to get over the top but have played sloppy football often this season.  Pointing out the flaws that should have been resolved weeks ago is a problem?  Every team struggles but self inflicted mistakes are brutal.  I acknowledge KC and Cincinnati had tough games.  We shall see if the Bills are able to over come mistakes next Monday night at Cincinnati.  You can not have three turn overs and that many penalties against another Super Bowl contender this late in the season.  The Bills are so close to the big game that I do not want another flame out like the 13 second game in KC.  

Pointing out the flaws isn’t a problem, but assuming that all of these flaws will show up next week and then also assuming the Bengals will play perfect is. I’m not saying this is what you are doing but there is a very vocal group in these threads that does exactly this. The Bengals also had 3 turnovers and had 8 penalties themselves yesterday 

it’s a Bills discussion board so of course we are going to analyze them. Realize though that when you come with a negative take that people are going to resist it. Also make sure that you have at least checked the other teams to see what their flaws are. The game next week isn’t going to be 10-7 that’s for sure, there will be mistakes by both teams, but there will be opportunities to make plays and the Bills will need to capitalize on those

8 minutes ago, dakrider said:

I think this game was closer than the score, despite Chicago's poor offensive performance.  Bears just missed on a 1st down at the 13 yard line that would have made this a 28-20 game.  Chicago has terrible receivers, dropping easy passes that hurt the Bears too.  I don't think there was a chance the Bears could win but this would have been a blowout if not for those turnovers. 

Wait-so the first down was also a touchdown? That’s a pretty big assumption for a team that wasn’t moving the ball at all at that point 

• Like (+1) 1

good win in the road vs a bad team with a niche running QB that was perfectly fit for conditions and you shut him down, great game for the defense. 

We never ran the ball as consistently as we have but that's okay, i feel like they are giving the team's passing game experience in these elements to refine their execution in said elements and that we will be executing at a higher level than opponents come buffalo in January. 

The one thing that disturbs me is the horrendous game management at the end of the half,  McD out to lunch changing his mind on TOs and forfeiting a possession while down. Can't have it. 

33 minutes ago, Nitro said:

There was good but if pointing out on on TBD the flaws is an issue well so be it.   If three turnovers, 9 penalties for 72 yards and missed assignments are acceptable tell your friend.  

My friend Didn't say that  - there was just literally nothing good said is all- all he ever does is look for silver linings even when things are bad especially when in a win and and a division being clinched in -25 degree weather.

He often tries to add humor in those moments my mistake on sharing his take in the post as we all look a things different.

Happy Holidays 

Edited by BlazinBill
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

In terms of the criticisms of guys like Gabe not running hard and McKenzie not getting separation, I watched singletary’s press conference. He said the field felt like you were running on concrete, with very little traction. That sort of explains the more tentative running out there by the WRs.

Honestly makes complete sense -i mean when Knox high pointed that ball and landed like that I was damn that had I just hurt like hell

I know these people get paid a lot of money to go and play in these conditions and we are indeed a cold weather team but it doesn't all off a sudden make it easy- Soldier Field is straight garbage and has always been known to be-

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BlazinBill said:

Honestly makes complete sense -i mean when Knox high pointed that ball and landed like that I was damn that had I just hurt like hell

I know these people get paid a lot of money to go and play in these conditions and we are indeed a cold weather team but it doesn't all off a sudden make it easy- Soldier Field is straight garbage and has always been known to be-

Agreed. I hurt for Knox on that play. Just think about jumping two feet in the air and landing on your back on concrete. That had to just kill. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Which is why there is concern, as the Bills haven't had an A game since week 5-6.

However the Bills should be able to beat anyone, except KC with a  B+ game (should KC play their A game).

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The only teams who can match us across the board if both us and them are on our A Game are the Chiefs and the 49ers, IMO, with the likes of the Bengals, Eagles and Cowboys good enough to pick up on any weakness or mistake from us and exploit it. For all other teams, we need to give them a helping hand to beat us - indeed, see our three defeats this year.

Perhaps. Sure looks like the Eagles are very good with a healthy Hurts. The 49ers with that defense and offensive scheme are legit. A healthy Deebo makes them extremely dangerous. CMC was a fantastic pick up. Can you imagine him on the Bills team? These are the clear top 2 teams in the NFC.

In the AFC it is Bills, KC, and Cinci. I don't see much separation between the three. I absolutely think a Cinci "A" team performance can beat the Bills. I could totally see a team like Miami and SD going on an upset run in the playoffs. Yet, they are a tier behind the afore mentioned. 

Lastly, I'd ask when is the last time this team has played its "A" game? Not trying to be a smart a$$. This week we will see how great this Bills team is. A win likely gets the Bills a buy and the first seed. A loss likely puts them in the 3 seed. A much tougher path to the Super Bowl. Not devastating because I believe this team can win anywhere. They are battle tested, experienced, and very solid on both sides of the ball. Nevertheless, I want that number 1 seed!!!!

34 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Pointing out the flaws isn’t a problem, but assuming that all of these flaws will show up next week and then also assuming the Bengals will play perfect is. I’m not saying this is what you are doing but there is a very vocal group in these threads that does exactly this. The Bengals also had 3 turnovers and had 8 penalties themselves yesterday 

it’s a Bills discussion board so of course we are going to analyze them. Realize though that when you come with a negative take that people are going to resist it. Also make sure that you have at least checked the other teams to see what their flaws are. The game next week isn’t going to be 10-7 that’s for sure, there will be mistakes by both teams, but there will be opportunities to make plays and the Bills will need to capitalize on those

Wait-so the first down was also a touchdown? That’s a pretty big assumption for a team that wasn’t moving the ball at all at that point 

I meant could have.  Just like the Patriots fumble, they had a good chance to score on Bengals.  Coulda woulda shoulda, summary of Bears season.

Was looking next week weather in Cinci won't be that cold (50'a) but forecast shows some rain and wind likely.

19 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Which is why there is concern, as the Bills haven't had an A game since week 5-6.

However the Bills should be able to beat anyone, except KC with a  B+ game.

I mean just go back to the Miami game for a reference point. That game went right down to the wire. Bills were at home and conditions slowed down the likes of Waddle and Hill. The Dolphins WR dropped an easy TD pass that clearly would have changed the complexion of the game. According to msny Dolphin fans, the refs were not favorable in their calls. Point being the Dolphins clearly didn't play their "A" game. They clearly had the edge on both sides in the lines. The Dolphins could have easily won this game. I'm sure Dolphins fans/players feel like they should have won the game. They let one slip away. The Bills were very fortunate to win the game. This Bills team is clearly one of the teams to beat. However, they aren't as dangerous offensively as in the past. No Hyde and Von makes the defense very good but not elite or dominant like the 49ers. Thus, teams have a much better belief that they can beat the Bills even without their "A" game. The Bills are winning but they appear to be beatable. Same goes for everyone in the AFC. Every little advantage is huge and the number 1 seed has a huge advantage. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I mean just go back to the Miami game for a reference point. That game went right down to the wire. Bills were at home and conditions slowed down the likes of Waddle and Hill. The Dolphins WR dropped an easy TD pass that clearly would have changed the complexion of the game. According Dolphin fans the refs were not favorable in their calls. Point being the Dolphins clearly didn't play their A game. They clearly had the edge on both sides in the lines. The Dolphins could have easily won this game. I'm sure Dolphins fans feel like they should have won the game. Like they let one slip away. The Bills were very fortunate to win the game. 

Every week in the NFL is tough. So many advanced metrics say we are a really good team and even though we have slumped a little mid-season (as we did last season) we are still 12-3 with a difficult SOS and the #1 point differential in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I mean just go back to the Miami game for a reference point. That game went right down to the wire. Bills were at home and conditions slowed down the likes of Waddle and Hill. The Dolphins WR dropped an easy TD pass that clearly would have changed the complexion of the game. According to msny Dolphin fans, the refs were not favorable in their calls. Point being the Dolphins clearly didn't play their "A" game. They clearly had the edge on both sides in the lines. The Dolphins could have easily won this game. I'm sure Dolphins fans/players feel like they should have won the game. They let one slip away. The Bills were very fortunate to win the game. 

They had their A game and yes one drop, tjay was a tough, but catchable ball.  

Bills played well, but not great.  Theorn3rd quarter was dreadful.  

Defence was okay, but not great.  

And again outside some success in forcing fumbles, only an int vs. Peterman (does that count?).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.