Advice for Coach McD

oldmanfan

Give the Rookies (Elam & Shakir) a shot. Send a message to Davis, improve or your out. Bench Dane Jackson. More quick passes to beat the rush. Put Allen under center for some of the running plays to the running back so they don't have to run 7 yds to reach the line of scrimmage. Don't challenge clear catches by the other team. Use extra lotion to prevent chapped hands from clapping.

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Call your OC into the office tomorrow, and tell him as HC you want to see the offense run the ball.  And if he doesn’t want to call them, you will. 

HC has communication with OC during game? I mentioned in postgame thread that HC should be intervening throughout the game when he feels the game is going awry

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Call your OC into the office tomorrow, and tell him as HC you want to see the offense run the ball.  And if he doesn’t want to call them, you will. 

THIS. My major concern going forward... it's criminal giving up on the run after the kinds of runs we got off today.

I dont need them to run more, but I sure as heck need them to utilize the short passing game if they A. Refuse to Run and B. The defense is playing a 2 high shell.

They have to start taking what the defense is giving them.  The insistence to try and force it down the field when they offensive line cant block worth a dang drives me absolutely nuts!

• Agree 6

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah..

No. This isn't 1976.

Really?

It's not about 1976.

Did you even WATCH Chiefs/Bengals, two playoff teams, and how they Bengals kept Mahomes on the sideline in their win?

I guess not... it's 2022.

https://theathletic.com/3969863/2022/12/05/chiefs-loss-bengals-patrick-mahomes/

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

39 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And this particular game if we had to go three and out a bunch of times running the ball, we still probably would’ve won because our Defense was destroying them, but we can’t depend on that every week

30 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont need them to run more, but I sure as heck need them to utilize the short passing game if they A. Refuse to Run and B. The defense is playing a 2 high shell.

They have to start taking what the defense is giving them.  The insistence to try and force it down the field when they offensive line cant block worth a dang drives me absolutely nuts!

I think you make a great point,  but look at all the drops on short passes today ( knox, motor, mckenzie killed two drives on short passes right in his hands , and early Josh was off even missing a quick slant to Diggs,) I will watch the all 22 but I don’t remember Josh throwing many deep balls at all today. If they don’t have so many drops , the offense looks a heck of a lot better.  This o line also killed drives with holding penalties again.  Like you said tho, at other times Josh seemed to go back to holding the ball longer as he was going thru reads ; will be interesting to see if guys were free on shorter routes and if he chose again to not take the short routes waiting for longer ones to open.  

Watching how much Miami is blitzing tonight looks worrisome as this o line struggles protecting Josh. Next week they better have ways to get the ball out quickly , like even using Smoke in the slot as he and Josh had good chemistry on quick slants I think.  But they can’t keep having the drops and penalties or the fins will really be more of a problem. Man,They send guys relentlessly, so the receivers have to help Josh , including the backs as hot routes.  It hurts both the pass and run game with lack of a good  2 nd tight end as well , as Gilliam has not contributed much as a receiver recently. Dorsey needs to have a good game creatively next week ( like the great 4 th down call today) because I just don’t see the fins only sending 4 and we can’t have guys untouched right in Josh’s face immediately all night. 

It would be interesting  if the Bills can somewhat mimic what  they did in the first game ( 90 offensive plays) and take the short stuff early , the Fins D will wear down and can be run on later.  The big issue tho , is ball security either by running more or receivers actually not dropping passes for us to handle the fins , and hope our corners, LBs , and safeties are healthy going into the game.  

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

💯 

The Bills had 13 runs to Motor (8, really?), Cook (4), and McKittrick (1).  There were 9 runs to Josh, so let's call those 4 designed, 5 scrambles.  So with 34 pass attempts, the Bills called 39 passes to 17 runs (2.3x more passes than runs).  With the weather conditions today, that's idiotic.  Dorsey is ridiculously pass happy, and he needs to rein that ***** in.  Today was a really bad day to completely abandon the run, yet he did.  Yes, we won, but the balance in this offense was non-existent today.  We'll need that to beat the better teams in the playoffs.

Dear OpEd, if I see another called unprotected Josh weak sign wide run on 3rd and 5 I will puke. That’s what he should say. We scored points when we threw not the other way around.
Passing the ball short is like running the ball and we seem to have stopped that.

We use the pass and play action pass to setup the run, not the other way around!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Bills had 13 runs to Motor (8, really?), Cook (4), and McKittrick (1).  There were 9 runs to Josh, so let's call those 4 designed, 5 scrambles.  So with 34 pass attempts, the Bills called 39 passes to 17 runs (2.3x more passes than runs).  With the weather conditions today, that's idiotic.  Dorsey is ridiculously pass happy, and he needs to rein that ***** in.  Today was a really bad day to completely abandon the run, yet he did.  Yes, we won, but the balance in this offense was non-existent today.  We'll need that to beat the better teams in the playoffs.

False narrative. KC doesn’t win playoff games running, neither does Cinci or Miami.  It’s pass first. The Ravens and Titans model is not winning in the AFC playoffs. Only one team will be running the ball and it will be the NFC team in the Super Bowl. Even Philly is pass first. 

Edited by Locomark

13 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Dear OpEd, if I see another called unprotected Josh weak sign wide run on 3rd and 5 I will puke. That’s what he should say. We scored points when we threw not the other way around.
Passing the ball short is like running the ball and we seem to have stopped that.

We use the pass and play action pass to setup the run, not the other way around!!!!!

False narrative. KC doesn’t win playoff games running, neither does Cinci or Miami.  It’s pass first. The Ravens and Titans model is not winning in the AFC playoffs. Only one team will be running the ball and it will be the NFC team in the Super Bowl. Even Philly is pass first. 

In a game like today’s with the weather and the Jets practically inviting us to run, you run the ball more.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It’s hard to take what the defense is giving you when McKenzie and singletary are consistently dropping dumpoffs lol 

I also think people underestimate how much the defensive line can disrupt the short passing game by flooding the passing lanes 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Pass first is fine.  But not 2.3x pass/run plays in a driving rain.  I looked up the Cinci and KC box scores and they were maybe 1.3-1.5x pass/run.  We gonna disagree on this one.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I think he's got this and doesn't need some random dudes help on a message board.

Professionals gain wisdom from commoners more often than you think. There is a reason why we work in “teams”. 10 average brains are collectively smarter than 1 high IQ brain.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

Miami doesnt win playoff games at all what are you talking about 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.