Justin Herbert - fractured rib cartilage, day to day

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, 716er said:

This happened to me from doing chin ups lol

Ā 

The pain is relatively mild but once every 20 minutes or so you feel like you're having a heart attack for a minute or two. When I first had symptoms I called 911. They rushed me to the hospital and boy was I relieved when I found out it was just fractured cartilage. Took about a month of rest for it to go away.

Begs the question - just exactly what kind of chin-ups do you do?Ā  The full contact kind?

Ā 

šŸ˜› j/k

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Thereā€™s not much difference from a fractured rib or fractured rib cartilage. Sounds like they are trying to minimize the injury. Anyway, this is pretty much a season long injury that heā€™s going to have to deal with. Yeah, you can do rib blocks and maybe dull it a little but cartilage, like ribs, donā€™t heal quickly. There isnā€™t much blood flow to them so thatā€™s why it takes a long time. Heā€™s going to try and play through it, and pain control is really the key. If he takes one shot to the ribs every 2-3 weeks itā€™s going to knock him back to square one. This could be a very significant injury that impacts their season.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

When our son had a broken ankle a family friend/distant relative explained it like this: On a scale of 1-10, a bad bone bruise is a 5, and a break is a 6. Pretty much the same thing.Ā 

Ā 

He is a retired pediatric radiologist. He knows his stuff. I know rib injuries are wicked! Sneezing, coughing, sleeping are tough. NFL football is almost unimaginable. Iā€™ve known people with broken ribs. Ainā€™t no fun!Ā 

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

How do you fracture cartilage?
That makes no sense to me and I am a doctor (albeit a doctor of the healing martial arts).

Ā 

So

coastal_cartilage1360634346855.png&f=1&n

In the pic the blue is cartilage, the tan is bone

Especially in the lower ribs, the cartilage is actually pretty long, and if hit sharply it can crack or break like a bone dose

Ā 

Help?

Ā 

Ā 

• Like (+1) 4

I've had the same injury, it may even be worse than broken ribs. I heard it pop & pain was extreme. Mine took 4 weeks before I could do anything involving twisting w/o a lot of pain. The injury is more common from twisting too hard than impact. It's not something a flak jacket will help, impact won't hurt it more, but twisting will.

Ā 

The injury being on his left side is much worse than being on his throwing side, you use the left side to generate power to throw. I'm sure he'll get pain injections & pop some percocet, but he still won't have the same power/torque to throw. I bet he takes a few weeks off.

Ā 

And we all know what happened the last time a Chargers doctor gave a player a rib injection... (cough) Tyrod (cough)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billl said:

Iā€™m pretty sure he was hurt before that play, but that one made it worse.

No, I'm pretty sure that was the first hit where he stayed down for awhile. He got hit a couple of times after that though and was slow to get up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Process said:

Jags Texans and Browns next three gamesĀ 

As opposed to the chefs ridiculous scheduleā€¦the next three games are Colts, Bucs and Raidersā€¦.

KC has two easy matchups, thatā€™d itā€¦. The Bills, in week six and the chefs next three games the Bills, then the 49ers and titans, LOL, Ā gotta give the chefs a big, fat L even though itā€™s in KC (so expect a flag when the Bills get a turnover). But what a nutty schedule for the chefsā€¦.The freakinā€™ chargers had them. And they had them w/o their best WR in Keenan Allen. Ā That injured SD TE should have called a TOā€¦what a huge playā€¦.hindsight is a wonderful thingā€¦.

Well if SD won Iā€™d be just as worried about SD. Probably the better team. I personally think Mahomes is better than Herbert but SD is better than KC, especially if Allen plays.

And I think Buffalo has the best team, especially if Tre White playsā€¦Tre makes a huge difference. We can play any type of D we want back there with him in the lineupā€¦.

I do hope we get Khalil Shakir some playing time this week, as crazy as it seems, I think he is a key Bill that needs experience pronto. Once Khalil is resting both Diggs and Davis we are a better team. Baby stepsā€¦.

I thought he might have a cracked rib judging by the way he was getting hit and the incredible pain he seemed to be in.

Ā 

On that one play, he tried to make a throw and just couldn't do it, and kind of lobbed the ball out of bounds instead of throwing near coverage to his receiver.

Ā 

If they don't sit him and deal with it correctly, he'll be hampered by this ALL YEAR LONG.

Ā 

Ā 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

He has earned my respect.Ā  He took some real shots last night, and toughed it out until the end.

Ā 

Though, that 3rd down where he could have walked easily for a 1st - that was weird....

Ā 

I made a snarky Kyle Orton against Denver reference but then realized he was so much pain that sliding would be too much pain for him to handle.Ā  Let alone getting hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I made a snarky Kyle Orton against Denver reference but then realized he was so much pain that sliding would be too much pain for him to handle.Ā  Let alone getting hit.

this is what I was thinking as wellā€¦while it looked weird watching it liveā€¦I immediately turned to my girlfriend and said he was worried about what sliding would feel like. Same time I know Josh would have never made that decision. He woulda just dealt with whatever pain he was met with after picking up the first down and sliding.

This is really bad news for the Bolts. Ā If they were smart theyā€™d shut him down for the next two weeks at a minimum; the schedule is favorable and they have enough talent to beat the Jags and Texans. Ā Daniels is a pro. Ā If they go with a half-assed approach where heā€™s trying to practice and then ā€œseeing if he can give it a goā€ itā€™s going to last much longer.

Ā 

And yes, this is the same injury that began the Flutie era in Buffalo in ā€˜98.

15 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Ā 

So.....remind me, how did Justin Herbert get his first start in the NFL?

Ā 

Wasn't that ......when the starter, one Tyrod Taylor, was getting a pain injection for a rib injury pre-game....and got his LUNG COLLAPSED by the Chargers doctor instead?

Ā 

Ā 

People keep exaggerating TT's injury (pneumothorax)--he easily could have resumed fully activity and been right back as practice as the starter the next dya. The reason Herbert is the starter since that day is because it took a freak incident for the Chargers to realize that you put your top 10 draft pick QB out there and let him play.

Ā 

The Bills had a similar (and sooner--Week 1 at halftime) "realization"--not because their starter was injured, but because their starter was Nate Peterman.

Ā 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

My question is, whether this is a pain management thing and it canā€™t get worse by playing with an injection/pain killers, or is there a chance to injure it further by playing?

Ā 

Probably won't get worse, but won't get better either.Ā 

15 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I actually thought he broke his tailbone at first glance. His butt hit hard and he clutched around his left cheek before they went to commercial. Probably best case scenario, I expected worse based on how he looked the rest of the game.Ā 

I was thinking hammy when I saw that, but it was probably pain radiating down his sciatic nerve. Ā Feels like the pain is coming from everywhere, all at once. Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

I had this exact same injury in college. My cause of injury was fueled by alcohol and poor judgement. For two weeks, my fear of sneezing was immense. Deep breaths hurt. Sleeping was rough.Ā 
Ā 

The fact that he stood up, much less continued playing, is absolutely incredible.Ā 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The timing hereā€¦

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

No surprise and I don't blame Tyrod at all. There are levels of incompetence that have no business in this league or anywhere else for that matter. This is surely an example of such.Ā 

If they are smart, then they'll sit Herbert for the next month. They have the Jags, Texans, Browns, and Broncos on deck. Heck, I might even sit him until after the Bye. The game after the Broncos is Seattle. Even without Herbert they should at least win 3, if not 4 of those games. That would have them at 4-3 or 5-2 heading into the Bye week. Herbert could then return at basically full health in week 9 against the Falcons. They need to think long term here and not put him in harm's way to lose him for a longer period imo.

Edited by H2o

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The timing hereā€¦

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The Chargers have had questions about their medical staff since David Chao got kicked out (excuse me, resigned) as team doctor.Ā  But he was their team doctor for years despite allegations of alcohol abuse, accusations of maiming patients during surgery, etc.

Ā 

I think the Tyrod Taylor situation may indicate that was symptomatic of an organizational problem which didn't prioritize the highest quality of medical care for the players, and that moving to LA didn't necessarily fix it.

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Trey Wingo was on WGR yesterday and he said he talked with doctors and they said it's a 6 month injury to heal.

Basically Herbert is going to be dealing with it the rest of the year and it's going to come down to pain management.

Ā 

I love all these people diagnosing at a distance.Ā  Here we have our own @Mr. WEO, who genuinely does know his stuff when faced with live patients in his exam room, pronouncing that TT's pneumothorax could have had him out practicing the next day (maybe, but that depends upon details I don't know how he'd have access to).Ā  Now we have Trey Wingo talking to doctors who say it's 6 months to heal, again, likely without knowing the details of exactly which rib or rib cartilage was broken and how severely (it's most likely cracked, not completely broken)

Ā 

My friend who cracked a rib and the rib cartilage below it when he tripped and landed on a sharp rock was directed to rest and avoid lifting anything heavy for 4-6 weeks, not 6 months. Ā Ā  I'm sure some cracks do take longer, and probably 6 months to complete the repair process and have any lingering pain resolve but he pretty well felt better in 4-5 weeks.Ā  I would think that players would be given treatment to promote healing that's not quite mainstream but has some evidence it helps, such as light and NIR therapy, which may speed healing, low-intensity pulsed ultrasound that some people swear by while some studies say "do little" etc etc.Ā  so to at least have it complete the "regrowth phase", get rid of the most severe acute pain, probably 4 weeks is a reasonable guesstimate.

Ā 

The concern is that a cracked rib bone or cartilage may break completely with repeated blows to the same area or allow adjacent ribs to more easily crack.Ā  And let's be real: Football is not a pretty game, and if a player's injury is known, opposing players will deliberately TARGET THAT SPOT.Ā  Did you hear the Simmons interview where he talked about how opposing defenders knew Saffold had a shoulder injury last season and would club him on the shoulder?Ā  I would have a concern that Herbert may be less able to protect himself from other injuries while going through this.Ā  These NFL athletes have amazing body control and reflexes, but will those still work if a sudden spasm of pain lashes through him after he's slammed in the ribs?

Ā 

I doubt the Chargers will IR Herbert and give him 4 weeks, just as the Bills hesitated to IR Milano for a torn pec or Beasley for what is now said to have been cracked ribs.Ā  But there's probably a "more haste, less speed" factor where they should consider it.

Ā 

Ā 

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Ā 

I love all these people diagnosing at a distance.Ā  Here we have our own @Mr. WEO, who genuinely does know his stuff when faced with live patients in his exam room, pronouncing that TT's pneumothorax could have had him out practicing the next day (maybe, but that depends upon details I don't know how he'd have access to).Ā  Now we have Trey Wingo talking to doctors who say it's 6 months to heal, again, likely without knowing the details of exactly which rib or rib cartilage was broken and how severely (it's most likely cracked, not completely broken)

Ā 

My friend who cracked a rib and the rib cartilage below it when he tripped and landed on a sharp rock was directed to rest and avoid lifting anything heavy for 4-6 weeks, not 6 months. Ā Ā  I'm sure some cracks do take longer, and probably 6 months to complete the repair process and have any lingering pain resolve but he pretty well felt better in 4-5 weeks.Ā  I would think that players would be given treatment to promote healing that's not quite mainstream but has some evidence it helps, such as light and NIR therapy, which may speed healing, low-intensity pulsed ultrasound that some people swear by while some studies say "do little" etc etc.Ā  so to at least have it complete the "regrowth phase", get rid of the most severe acute pain, probably 4 weeks is a reasonable guesstimate.

Ā 

The concern is that a cracked rib bone or cartilage may break completely with repeated blows to the same area or allow adjacent ribs to more easily crack.Ā  And let's be real: Football is not a pretty game, and if a player's injury is known, opposing players will deliberately TARGET THAT SPOT.Ā  Did you hear the Simmons interview where he talked about how opposing defenders knew Saffold had a shoulder injury last season and would club him on the shoulder?Ā  I would have a concern that Herbert may be less able to protect himself from other injuries while going through this.Ā  These NFL athletes have amazing body control and reflexes, but will those still work if a sudden spasm of pain lashes through him after he's slammed in the ribs?

Ā 

I doubt the Chargers will IR Herbert and give him 4 weeks, just as the Bills hesitated to IR Milano for a torn pec or Beasley for what is now said to have been cracked ribs.Ā  But there's probably a "more haste, less speed" factor where they should consider it.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Rib fractures andĀ  pneumothorax are nothing alike in terms of recovery.

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ā 

Rib fractures andĀ  pneumothorax are nothing alike in terms of recovery.

Ā 

Did I say somewhere that they were?Ā  I do not believe I said they were alike in terms of recovery.Ā  Yet I personally know of two young men who suffered pneumothorax, and because of differences in the details, one was OK in a week, the other took a month.Ā  Recovery from pneumothorax does vary, and I know you know this.

Ā 

My point isn't that they have the same prognosis or timeline, my point is physicians taking an injury which can vary in severity, required treatment, and recovery timeline and pronouncing "at a distance" as to recovery timeline.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Pretty sure your friend was not getting hit every 7 days by guys weighing 300+ pounds many times over a 3 hour period.

On 9/16/2022 at 5:12 PM, Billznut said:

He probably has an actual rib fracture but they are downplaying it for the public and opponents.Ā 

I could be mistaken but I thought I remember seeing that a broken rib is easier to deal with than cracked. I'm not sure how different or similar all these injuries are though

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.