Justin Herbert - fractured rib cartilage, day to day

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, 716er said:

This happened to me from doing chin ups lol

The pain is relatively mild but once every 20 minutes or so you feel like you're having a heart attack for a minute or two. When I first had symptoms I called 911. They rushed me to the hospital and boy was I relieved when I found out it was just fractured cartilage. Took about a month of rest for it to go away.

He played with it. Tough sled 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 716er said:

The pain is relatively mild but once every 20 minutes or so you feel like you're having a heart attack for a minute or two. When I first had symptoms I called 911. They rushed me to the hospital and boy was I relieved when I found out it was just fractured cartilage. Took about a month of rest for it to go away.

I assume he will not rest for a month, so I wonder if this will bug him all season. I wonder if this is pain management only, or if it could get much worse with continued contact. 

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I assume he will not rest for a month, so I wonder if this will bug him all season. I wonder if this is pain management only, or if it could get much worse with continued contact. 

My guess is that he's going to have to miss some time, at least in the beginning, and then he's going to have to hope he doesn't get hit too often, because that sn't going to help it heal at all.

It's all a bit sketchy tbh, but another consideration should be, imho, is making sure he's got a healthy O-Line in front of him, and that's probably going to be a week or two before that happens.

1 hour ago, 716er said:

Ribs suck!  Broke 4 in a bike accident and didn’t  sleep for a month.   Exactly would feel like an MI and would hit you like a ton of bricks if you coughed or heaven for bid had to Fart.  🤣 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

The hit where it happened didn't look like much of a damaging impact. I think it happened when he landed on the ground. The defender's helmet hit first and Herbert landed on top of the helmet on the side where his ribs were injured.

I’m pretty sure he was hurt before that play, but that one made it worse.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So.....remind me, how did Justin Herbert get his first start in the NFL?

Wasn't that ......when the starter, one Tyrod Taylor, was getting a pain injection for a rib injury pre-game....and got his LUNG COLLAPSED by the Chargers doctor instead?

I imagine Herbert may be needing a pain management injection

2 hours ago, Billznut said:

He probably has an actual rib fracture but they are downplaying it for the public and opponents. 

It's possible, but fractured rib cartilage vs. fractured rib bones is an actual thing

It's also possible that he has hairline rib fractures in addition to the fractured cartilage, sometimes fractures don't show up on xray until they actually start to heal and the line of new bone reveals them.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

I had a similar injury a few years ago.  It did not impact my day-to-day life, but if I moved in certain ways, it was extremely painful.  It got better over time, but it was close to a full year before I was 100% healed.  I was not playing profesional football at the time, so I didn't need to function in the way that Herbert does, but I also didn't have access to cortisone shots, daily physical therapy, etc.  I suspect he'll be in pain all season long, but he'll be able to manage it and play.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Or there is something else at play here...

The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

1 hour ago, PonyBoy said:

HEY!! I know what this picture means now! Thanks to this board 😃

Now that you know, you'll have to be ... "silenced."

• Haha (+1) 1

There’s not much difference from a fractured rib or fractured rib cartilage. Sounds like they are trying to minimize the injury. Anyway, this is pretty much a season long injury that he’s going to have to deal with. Yeah, you can do rib blocks and maybe dull it a little but cartilage, like ribs, don’t heal quickly. There isn’t much blood flow to them so that’s why it takes a long time. He’s going to try and play through it, and pain control is really the key. If he takes one shot to the ribs every 2-3 weeks it’s going to knock him back to square one. This could be a very significant injury that impacts their season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.