Russell Wilson’s new contract launches him to 2nd most QB guaranteed $

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It'll be interesting to see what Lamar Jackson gets.

I honestly wonder if it will happen.  Lamar seems to want Kyler’s deal, but fully guaranteed.  At least that’s what all the local radio here in Baltimore are saying

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I honestly wonder if it will happen.  Lamar seems to want Kyler’s deal, but fully guaranteed.  At least that’s what all the local radio here in Baltimore are saying

Well some team is gonna give him a contract... in other words he isn't gonna retire.

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It will get done, it has to. Problem for the ravens is that it gets more $$ with each passing day. I suppose they could trade him for a huge haul if it falls apart

21 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

19 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

just gonna say that. He wants a fully guaranteed deal it seems though 

Ravens being arguably the best managed team in the NFL should be smarter than to do anything like that. No way should he get $200M+ fully guaranteed. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially with Jackson going no-agent and representing himself. Wonder if we see Jackson end up in Miami next year...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ravens being arguably the best managed team in the NFL should be smarter than to do anything like that. No way should he get $200M+ fully guaranteed. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially with Jackson going no-agent and representing himself. Wonder if we see Jackson end up in Miami next year...

Unless Jackson has a bad 2022, Baltimore has no choice but to pay him. He's too young to get traded like Wilson was.  Baltimore will either sign him to a big long term deal or franchise him next season.  

Now if he has a bad 2022 or gets injured again & misses significant time, they may let him go, but a well run organization doesn't get rid of a star QB approaching his prime years unless they have a plan in place.  Considering that even top 10 QB draft choices have only a slightly better than 50% hit rate, I can't see Baltimore going in a different direction as long as Jackson's 2022 isn't a disaster. 

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's a good QB for sure but I don't think he's elite.  

Josh Allen

Tom Brady

Joe Burrow

Jackson Mahomes Brother

Justin Herbert

Matt Stafford

Aaron Rodgers

Are above him IMO.

In his first 7 years, Wilson had 75 wins--the most inn NFL history for that span.  During that same period, he had a TD % of 6, second highest in the SB era, 2nd highest passing rating in NFL history, 4th highest passer rating for the previous27 seasons.

After that, he followed up with 11 and 12 wins seasons.  In 2017, he accounted for 37 of the team's 38 TDs--yet somehow was not named league MVP. Pro Bowl 9 of 10 seasons.  Back o back SB, 1 ring.

He is elite by any definition.  Herbert has to lead his team to a playoff appearance before he can enter the conversation. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It will get done, it has to. Problem for the ravens is that it gets more $$ with each passing day. I suppose they could trade him for a huge haul if it falls apart

A team would be crazy to give up a huge haul and give him a huge contract. Would only make sense for a team completely loaded and only lacks a QB. But most teams like that won’t have ample cap space. This is definitely getting interesting.

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Within a year of signing it Josh is out of the top 5 in AAV. And remember all the angst and hand ringing about Dak? 

He is now 9th in AAV. 

This is the QB market. You either have a guy and pay them or you don't. 

He’s just going to get pushed further down with Burrow and Herbert. And Lamar 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I think he actually wants to ride this year out, force them to use the FT, and pin them down for every dime he can get. It will definitely work out in his favor as long as he remains healthy. Burrow and Herbert are on deck for their extensions next year as well. The price is only going up with each passing contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In his first 7 years, Wilson had 75 wins--the most inn NFL history for that span.  During that same period, he had a TD % of 6, second highest in the SB era, 2nd highest passing rating in NFL history, 4th highest passer rating for the previous27 seasons.

After that, he followed up with 11 and 12 wins seasons.  In 2017, he accounted for 37 of the team's 38 TDs--yet somehow was not named league MVP. Pro Bowl 9 of 10 seasons.  Back o back SB, 1 ring.

He is elite by any definition.  Herbert has to lead his team to a playoff appearance before he can enter the conversation. 

This isn’t Russell Wilson of his first seven years anymore.  In those years, he was a top 3 QB.  Since the second half of 2020, he has dropped.  I still think he’s very good, a top 10 QB.  Extended him at this salary until he’s 40….I’m skeptical it was a good move.

Herbert is everything to the Chargers.  I’m not holding the Chargers defense against him.  Wilson when he beginning of his career had an elite defense…one of the best ever.

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I can't believe what the Browns did.

A part of me wants to be impressed by the size of balls it takes to do that. But no, it's just plain stupidity (sprinkled with a complete disregard of even the slightest ethical standards).

Watson’s contract will hurt the Browns for years.  This is the poorest run franchise in all of sports.

45 minutes ago, KHAN said:

Russ will be 34 in November. Smaller guy, with a lot of wear and tear. He belongs on the list of top tier QB's for sure. But I see him falling off a cliff at an age much before someone like Rodgers.

Yeah. I think this contract was pure malfeasance by Elway. 

58 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's a good QB for sure but I don't think he's elite.  

Josh Allen

Tom Brady

Joe Burrow

Jackson Mahomes Brother

Justin Herbert

Matt Stafford

Aaron Rodgers

Are above him IMO.

Sorry to disagree but russ is better then a few of those guys and has a superbowl win. 

I'd take Russ over Herbert and Stafford and possibly burrow

Just now, Sharky7337 said:

Sorry to disagree but russ is better then a few of those guys and has a superbowl win. 

The Russ of 4 or 5 years ago, sure. But he looks like he’s already started to fall off. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Herbert has to lead his team to a playoff appearance before he can enter the conversation. 

He did more than enough to lead his team to the playoffs last year. His coach and defense let him down big time. I think 32 out of 32 franchises would take Herbert over Wilson even if it was only for one season.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Stafford also has a Super Bowl ring and Burrow was very close...just an Aaron Donald sack away.  I didn't see the full play but I heard Jamar Chase was separating downfield.  

Please don't take this I think Russ sucks, he's still a top 10 QB.  

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Lamar’s not even on the same stratosphere as RW.  I’m not down on Lamar, but his shelf life who rely too much on their legs and not their head and arm means he’ll get a nice contract like RW about $42 mil./yr.  Unlike the greats like PM and JA who will see a third contract, I don’t see that with Lamar.  He’ll get this nice contract, but unless he dramatically improves his QB skills, he won’t see a monster third like Rodgers.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This isn’t Russell Wilson of his first seven years anymore.  In those years, he was a top 3 QB.  Since the second half of 2020, he has dropped.  I still think he’s very good, a top 10 QB.  Extended him at this salary until he’s 40….I’m skeptical it was a good move.

Herbert is everything to the Chargers.  I’m not holding the Chargers defense against him.  Wilson when he beginning of his career had an elite defense…one of the best ever.

Watson’s contract will hurt the Browns for years.  This is the poorest run franchise in all of sports.

Wilson has led a top 10 scoring Offense 7 of 9 seasons. Seahawks D fell off the cliff starting in 2017--Wilson has carried that team, winning 11 and 12 games 2019, 2020.  Seahawks Offense top 10 3 of the past 4 seasons. He had 40 TDs in 2020--12 in the second half when they went 6-2. 

2 seasons of racking up regular season stats doesn't make a QB elite.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.