Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

He didn't say that.  Let's be adults about this.

I'm being deductive, admittedly I'm doing so in a semi irritated manner, but that's also the logical road the OP set himself on by blaming a child for lying and underage drinking and saying the person who had sex with her shouldn't necessarily face consequences for that

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I've read all 63 pages and at least four news articles covering the topic.

I'm sufficiently satisfied this guy is scum. At a minimum he took advantage of a drunk girl unable to consent, and at its worst he led her into a room to be repeatedly assaulted.  

I want no part of him on the team. I dont care or need to care about due process.  That's his problem not the Bills'.  Cutting him has nothing to do with legal innocence.  He's a punter and one of multiple guys that can be replaced with a street free agent or trade. He is not worth one minute of negative press. If McDermott believes what he preaches then he should have cut him a month ago. 

Yep.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Both of which should still protect her from being raped. 

Violently, of course.  Statutorily...not so much.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

And yet...

We'll see where this goes.  Again the Bills said they investigated it and still kept him. 

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm sufficiently satisfied this guy is scum. At a minimum he took advantage of a drunk girl unable to consent, and at its worst he led her into a room to be repeatedly assaulted.  

I want no part of him on the team. I dont care or need to care about due process.  That's his problem not the Bills'.  Cutting him has nothing to do with legal innocence.  He's a punter and one of multiple guys that can be replaced with a street free agent or trade. He is not worth one minute of negative press. If McDermott believes what he preaches then he should have cut him a month ago. 

The inability to consent by virtue of intoxication is what’s on my radar now.  

1 minute ago, Simon said:

This is what you said about "after Araiza":

Woman then has sex with other men the same night after him. 

Do you understand why I want to punt you out an airlock right now?

You just crossed the line with that comment.  I'm not going to go all keyboard warrior here.  Any chance you live in RI?

Your other comments are fully accepting allegations as facts.  The events described by the accuser seem to exonerate the accused.  Just so you understand, if he is guilty, I hope he gets jail.  Until proven, because the current details seem a little suspect so far, I'm not going to say he is guilty.  Do you comprehend that?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

Shockingly poor judgment by Araiza… He knew the NFL draft was only months away, and he was going to be a top pick, yet didn’t have a plan in place to stay away from situations that put his future at risk… Not very bright… Big leg… Small brain… 

Just now, appoo said:

I'm being deductive, admittedly I'm doing so in a semi irritated manner, but that's also the logical road the OP set himself on by blaming a child for lying and underage drinking and saying the person who had sex with her shouldn't necessarily face consequences for that

You said rape.

1 minute ago, Success said:

I trust Beane, McD, the Pegulas and this whole organization to do the RIGHT thing.

That thing has yet to be determined - but I have 100% faith in them.  

like when  they and all the other owners told Goodell to give Watson only 11 games when Watson himself had said he would accept 12 prior to that?

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

The inability to consent by virtue of intoxication is what’s on my radar now.  

Wait what if Punt god was drunk ??? Did he give concent??? 

ps I’m just saying alcohol can affect both parties it doesn’t make it right either way but they could have both been drunk and woke up like wtf

Edited by mikemac2001

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

I agree, but having him play the next day!? 

I mean, on what day is it acceptable for him to play then?

Apparently (per Wawrow article) the Bills have known about this for something like 6 weeks.  That's certainly long enough for them to have looked into it and decided  based upon what they learned, whether the allegations were credible or not and whether or not they were going to discipline or cut him.

If there are criminal charges, or new evidence comes to light, their POV could change of course.

• Like (+1) 1

This thread is going down in TBD history.

I’m in!

I’ll wait until we get more facts before I draw any conclusions but the fact that the Bills knew about these allegations and still cut Haack says a lot because I trust them.

If the allegations are true, I hope this woman gets the justice she deserves from the men who committed the crimes.

If Matt isn’t one of them, there aren’t enough crows in the world for the majority of this thread to eat. 

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I’m no longer sure about him being criminally liable for anything. I will wait to hear more.

However something seems pretty sketchy about this whole ordeal and with Matt Araiza.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

And a good prosecutor would say Okay his defense is I don’t remember anything, so he wouldn’t remember her telling him or anyone she was 18. 

he wouldn’t remember asking her her age.  

she very well could have told him she was underage, and he wouldn’t remember. 

Those eyewitnesses didn’t have sex with her, he allegedly did. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

When will he state this?  In his opening remarks?  How will he convince the jury this is true if his client doesn't testify?  If he does testify he will have to swear that he was lying on that phone call. 

Look I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. 

Dorkula, your same questions can be used on the Jane Doe with a simple cross examination of of the allegations asking if she had alcohol. How can she confirm that she told him she was under 18 if under the influence? Then it becomes a he said/she said. That's not going to play out well.

WEO, you would bring up the question based on the only evidence, at this point, of him having sex with her came from the phone call. That should open the entire phone call up to cross examination. 

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

True.  Neither then should be a guy having sex with a girl who tells him she's 18. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

And the legal age of consent is 16+ in 40 states.  Means nothing as we're talking about California.

What if she's 15 and says she's 18 in those other states?  Cool with that too or nah?

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Apparently (per Wawrow article) the Bills have known about this for something like 6 weeks.  That's certainly long enough for them to have looked into it and decided  based upon what they learned, whether the allegations were credible or not and whether or not they were going to discipline or cut him.

If there are criminal charges, or new evidence comes to light, their POV could change of course.

For sure. The optics are infinitely worse now that the suit has been filed though.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I’m no longer sure about him being criminally liable for anything. I will wait to hear more.

However something seems pretty sketchy about this whole ordeal and with Matt Araiza.

Agreed. Cut this guy now and get back to focusing on winning the SuperBowl.  Who the punter is has zero impact on the season. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

The Bills shouldn't be cutting players for sleeping around. I'm less inclined to be critical of the Bills right now, given that Matt likely told them "we were at a party, she said she was 18, she didn't seem drunk. I had no idea what happened to her after she gave me a BJ outside".  There's evidence of rape, but there's only circumstantial evidence that includes Araiza. 

I don't blame them for keeping him around. If the working world got rid of people that someone somewhere morally objected to we wouldn't have a functional economy

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

regardless of what happened. Her attorney needs to STFU. 

he’s tip-toeing a very fine line. 

I thought the Bills "picked up" Matt Araiza on April 30, 2022 (in the draft) and signed him shortly thereafter

But say more about the very fine line please?

6 minutes ago, phypon said:

You just crossed the line with that comment.  I'm not going to go all keyboard warrior here.  Any chance you live in RI?

I'm referring to locking out your account.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You assume it was handled properly by the bills.  Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t.  I don’t know.  I’m a skeptic of corporate counsel.  But, again, time will tell.  

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I dislike this lawyer 

It’s the Watson playbook all over again. 

Sleazy lawyer litigates over social media to win the case in the court of public opinion. 

Only problem is Matt Araiza is not Deshaun Watson.   Bills may feel strongly that he’s innocent right now, but (sadly or justifiably) the second this goes a bit sideways, Bills likely cut bait. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, nkreed said:

Look I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. 

Dorkula, your same questions can be used on the Jane Doe with a simple cross examination of of the allegations asking if she had alcohol. How can she confirm that she told him she was under 18 if under the influence? Then it becomes a he said/she said. That's not going to play out well.

WEO, you would bring up the question based on the only evidence, at this point, of him having sex with her came from the phone call. That should open the entire phone call up to cross examination. 

She can say "he  never asked".

Also, his lawyer in 2 interviews so far, has not denied they had sex.  He has denied he sexually assaulted her.