Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I went to more than a few college keggers in college.  Absolutely zero women were asked how old they are.  

So your answer is "no, no girl has ever claimed to be 17 and/or in HS"?  That's what I was saying.  Meanwhile the lawyer is saying there are people who heard her claim she was 18.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

It doesn’t.But what Araiza’s attorney alluded to is now interesting. He basically said someone may be held liable criminally for what happened to the victim but Araiza shouldn’t.

I went back and re-read the OP’s article. It said one of the accused was a freshman last year on the football team. That same person is not on the roster this year.

I’m definitely don’t know what happened but it appears Araiza’s attorney is lining up a great defense for him. All it takes is multiple people saying they heard this victim telling people she was 18, especially is she was in Araiza’s company at any time, and having people say he wasn’t in that room. Araiza would never have to take the stand in his own defense.

And what if Araiza led her into that bedroom to be assaulted as is stated in the lawsuit? 

Just now, Doc said:

So it's incumbent on Araiza to know she's 17 when she doesn't provide that information and witnesses say she claimed to be 18? 

it's incumbent on Araiza to not have have sex with a young woman of indeterminate age who's wasted. In other words, don't rape her

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's amazing how the do-re-me can ease a life of regret   Just saying.  Can't unring a bell.  But a few million sure can help.  

I know you don't have a filter and are often lacking in the ability to read the room, but this would be an excellent time for you to stow that ignorant ***** about a teenage girl covered in blood with bruises all over her throat.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

I think some of you literally just dislike each other and wanna bicker. I feel like there’s 20 pages of law articles and there’s not even a criminal case yet. 

Just now, Rubes said:

This thread is already 63 pages long but it mostly just seems like the same 3 pages of posts repeated 21 times.

You know....  sometimes people get lonely. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I believe her claim was that she was raped, not that she had sex with other men.

If you can't differentiate between the two, you might as well just show yourself to the door right now.

After Araiza is my point.  And of course I see your point, if she was raped, that's horrible.  Absolutely horrible.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

So it's incumbent on Araiza to know she's 17 when she doesn't provide that information and witnesses say she claimed to be 18? 

This is where the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he knew she was underage

The witnesses that heard her saying she was 18 removes reasonable doubt 

Case dismissed

2 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

Why the hell would she put herself through all of trauma? To extort a college punter? The victim shaming has to stop. 

I generally agree and based on the clearly incomplete information available so far, think the most likely truth is that terrible things happened to her.  Whether Araiza was directly or indirectly involved is less clear and theBills need to do what is best in their judgment and based on the facts they have.

It is possible that her lawyer is the one going for the deepest pockets.  It is highly implausible that she went to that party intending things turn out like this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Come on!  DIdn't you go to college keggers and tell everyone there you were 17 and/or a HS'er and to give you beer?

Actually yeah. I had been to college parties in HS. I both told people I was in HS and was introduced to people as in HS. 

I was also pretty good at my sport in HS and went on a bunch of official visits. It was a different time, but the standard practice used to be “get the recruits as drunk as possible”. I even went home with a girl at one. 

Maybe you were being serious. But to answer your question. This wasn’t uncommon and I had tons of friends who did the same. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

It doesn’t.

But what Araiza’s attorney alluded to is now interesting. He basically said someone may be held liable criminally for what happened to the victim but Araiza shouldn’t.

I went back and re-read the OP’s article. It said one of the accused was a freshman last year on the football team. That same person is not on the roster this year.

I’m definitely don’t know what happened but it appears Araiza’s attorney is lining up a great defense for him. All it takes is multiple people saying they heard this victim telling people she was 18, especially is she was in Araiza’s company at any time, and having people say he wasn’t in that room. Araiza would never have to take the stand in his own defense.

Maybe. Maybe not.  He’s setting araiza up to avoid liability for the forcible penetration that allegedly occurred inside the house.  It’s early though.  Time will tell.  Let’s see what the DA does. 

that’s a legal analysis.  Football analysis includes a PR/distraction component.  Not sure araiza makes it to the field tomorrow.  This is a big story and a big mess.  It’s early, and he might be cleared.  But I’m not sure the bills will deem him worth the headache. 

1 minute ago, appoo said:

it's incumbent on Araiza to not have have sex with a young woman of indeterminate age who's wasted. In other words, don't rape her

Well in California, if she claimed she was 18, he didn't know and she lied to him.  Who is that on?

4 minutes ago, nkreed said:

On a phone call in which he is not under oath. I think a good defense attorney will state that the question asked was accusatory and that this answer was his way of ending the conversation. If the DA has access to witnesses that say she had been misrepresenting herself, he won't need to have a defense.

When will he state this?  In his opening remarks?  How will he convince the jury this is true if his client doesn't testify?  If he does testify he will have to swear that he was lying on that phone call. 

1 minute ago, phypon said:

After Araiza is my point.  

This is what you said about "after Araiza":

Woman then has sex with other men the same night after him. 

Do you understand why I want to punt you out an airlock right now?

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

And what if Araiza led her into that bedroom to be assaulted as is stated in the lawsuit? 

Then he is in trouble.

But how do you prove he led her to that bedroom knowing what would take place inside? 

I totally went from, after reading the allegations, to include hearing there was a recorded confession, to believing Araiza was toast to know believing he may have a solid defense.

I will now sit back and wait to see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He has no recollection of any of those conversations

We cant assume him saying that means he was black out drunk. Dude gets a call of a girl speaking very unnaturally, blatantly asking "did we have sex", he smells cops says, i dont remember (sounds a lot like- i do not recall- aka dont wish to self incriminate).

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nkreed said:

On a phone call in which he is not under oath. I think a good defense attorney will state that the question asked was accusatory and that this answer was his way of ending the conversation. If the DA has access to witnesses that say she had been misrepresenting herself, he won't need to have a defense.

And a good prosecutor would say Okay his defense is I don’t remember anything, so he wouldn’t remember her telling him or anyone she was 18. 

he wouldn’t remember asking her her age.  

she very well could have told him she was underage, and he wouldn’t remember. 

Those eyewitnesses didn’t have sex with her, he allegedly did. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes. He is responsible for not having sex w intoxicated women of questionable age

You might wanna check the law out on that one

From what has been posted here from actual California law, the burden is on the prosecution if the defendant claims he didn't know she was underage.

They must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he did know

Witnesses saying she was claiming to be of age blows that out of the water 

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Maybe. Maybe not.  He’s setting araiza up to avoid liability for the forcible penetration that allegedly occurred inside the house.  It’s early though.  Time will tell.  Let’s see what the DA does. 

that’s a legal analysis.  Football analysis includes a PR/distraction component.  Not sure araiza makes it to the field tomorrow.  This is a big story and a big mess.  It’s early, and he might be cleared.  But I’m not sure the bills will deem him worth the headache. 

I can’t disagree with you.

Someone mentioned the Commissioners exemption list. That may be the best solution moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsShredder83 said:

We cant assume him saying that means he was black out drunk. Dude gets a call of a girl speaking very unnaturally, blatantly asking "did we have sex", he smells cops says, i dont remember (sounds a lot like- i do not recall- aka dont wish to self incriminate).

Problem is he admitted to having sex and told her she should get checked out, and when she asked him if he had actual sex with her, is when he turned into a robot

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Then he is in trouble.

But how do you prove he led her to that bedroom knowing what would take place inside? 

I totally went from, after reading the allegations, to include hearing there was a recorded confession, to believing Araiza was toast to know believing he may have a solid defense.

I will now sit back and wait to see what happens.

I followed the same track as you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

He would have to assert that under oath.

I've read all 63 pages and at least four news articles covering the topic.

I'm sufficiently satisfied this guy is scum. At a minimum he took advantage of a drunk girl unable to consent, and at its worst he led her into a room to be repeatedly assaulted.  

I want no part of him on the team. I dont care or need to care about due process.  That's his problem not the Bills'.  Cutting him has nothing to do with legal innocence.  He's a punter and one of multiple guys that can be replaced with a street free agent or trade. He is not worth one minute of negative press. If McDermott believes what he preaches then he should have cut him a month ago. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Beast said:

I can’t disagree with you.

Someone mentioned the Commissioners exemption list. That may be the best solution moving forward. 

League is probably gonna jump on this asap. He can’t take the field tomorrow with all this happening tonight. Exempt list basically just sends him home until it’s resolved 

• Like (+1) 1