Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Who cares, distraction city.  Cut him. 

Great, cut everyone who gets accused of something whether guilty or not guilty. Wonder if the same would be said by the majority if this was about Josh?

I do stick by my previous comment, though, that I would prefer him not to turn out for us until this sorted. Best solution would be if we can get him placed on the exempt list.

5 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

I really can't fathom posting your client's journal on Twitter before a case has even begun. This is extraordinarily unprofessional. And yet, it may end up being effective in forcing the legal systems hand to actually look at filing he charges...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I really can't fathom posting your client's journal on Twitter before a case has even begun. This is extraordinarily unprofessional. And yet, it may end up being effective in forcing the legal systems hand to actually look at filing he charges...

Fun fact, this lawyer also took Jan Levinson on as a client against Dunder Mifflin. 

Common tactic. 

Edited by SCBills

Her lawyer is borderline unhinged 

Like I said, it needs to play out and facts come to the surface....but that doesn't mean we can't suspect guilt or innocence....

And currently I suspect they have nothing...just a desire for money from Araiza and the Bills know it to.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

It’s because he’s admitting they had sex. At the very least. 

No he didnt. He was asked if they had sex and he said he doesnt remember anything from that night... 

Just cause you recommend she get tested after being raped by multiple guys does not mean that he is saying he was ome who had sex with her...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Browns rewarded Watson with a $230 million dollar guaranteed contract after 24 civil cases against him.  There is a difference.

This news broke about 14-15 hours ago and we are still waiting on the facts....from one person.

This news broke way longer than hours ago. It's been out there for a few months. 

I read an article about this story in July because a random post on twitter linked a LA Times article with a Matt Araiza hashtag.

I was surprised it didn't get mentioned here sooner.

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Insulting the cops publicly seems unwise.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Great, cut everyone who gets accused of something whether guilty or not guilty. Wonder if the same would be said by the majority if this was about Josh?

I do stick by my previous comment, though, that I would prefer him not to turn out for us until this sorted. Best solution would be if we can get him placed on the exempt list.

They can't exempt him as it occurred in college.

I say cut him.  If he's innocent, perhaps he can find another punting job down the line, its not like us cutting him is the end all be all of his career anyway.  Just a huge distraction right before the season starts.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

53 minutes ago, Eastside Oasis said:

She was 17.  If the rape kit has his DNA, he's going to get charged with a felony.  The police, however, will not release the result of the potential victim's rape kit to her.  WTF?

So tell me, how long do you think it takes to get the results of a rape kit? 9 months?

Have to say, this is a new one on me, where the prosecution basically posts all of it’s evidence on Twitter. I’m not hot on US law but I’m pretty sure in the U.K. it’s open up a risk of a mistrial and the defence arguing their client won’t get a fair trial if put in front of a jury.

Though, in that case, a trial could go ahead with a judge alone deciding, I guess.

Edited by UKBillFan

21 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Whether her actions are truly altruistic or she is looking for monetary damages to 'make her whole' is something known only to her. 

Or maybe both of those feelings/motives might be applicable and perhaps quite reasonable, no?

Edited by Bill from NYC

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Have to say, this is a new one on me, where the prosecution basically posts all of it’s evidence on Twitter. I’m not hot on US late but I’m pretty sure in the U.K. it’s open up a risk of a mistrial and the defence arguing their client won’t get a fair trial if put in front of a jury.

Though, in that case, a trial could go ahead with a judge alone deciding.

AND then the victim's attorney is saying if he gets off, it's because of sloppy SDPD police work! WTF! 

Rape is obviously a very serious charge.

If guilty, Matt Araiza should spend the rest of his life behind bars. 

With that said, I find it very disturbing how quickly some of you would cut a 22-year-old kid and end his career.

It's not disrespectful to women to wait for the facts.  We should also reject the idea that it's somehow more righteous to automatically believe every claimed victim, and impulsively throw the accused to the wolves.  That's not justice either.

Personally, I'm glad the Bills officials are willing to let the situation play-out before making a decision on Araiza.  Any player in that locker room could be falsely accused of something criminal.  If it happened to Josh Allen, I have a feeling the opinions amongst Bills Mafia would be a little more reserved.  There would likely be a little more patience in waiting for the truth.  Since we are just talking about the punter, fans think it's OK to just toss him under the bus.  The Bills often claim a "family-like" atmosphere amongst the team, and that kind of attitude could be just as damaging to player morale.  

I'm confident that if Araiza's guilt becomes more clear and apparent, the Bills will make the right decision.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

AND then the victim's attorney is saying if he gets off, it's because of sloppy SDPD police work! WTF! 

And also claiming two previous people who allegedly committed rape were guilty despite either charges never being brought or being found not guilty at trial.

It says it all when attorneys do not accept the binding edict of law, which is innocent until proven guilty.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bandito said:

Can you elaborate on what her lawyer is doing? Is this a money grab?

in one message he sent to Araiza he says he gang-raped her

https://twitter.com/dangilleon/status/1563146981169500162/photo/1

In another he says he had sex with her

Like I said, she deserves better representation. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'll tell you what dies make me doubt the allegations. That is the woman's attorney on social media acting like a total clown.

Exactly. He went to the Saul Goodman School of Law.

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Have to say, this is a new one on me, where the prosecution basically posts all of it’s evidence on Twitter. I’m not hot on US law but I’m pretty sure in the U.K. it’s open up a risk of a mistrial and the defence arguing their client won’t get a fair trial if put in front of a jury.

Though, in that case, a trial could go ahead with a judge alone deciding, I guess.

Yeah this is where we are at in the US. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't think this is about money, this is about taking him down.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

It's difficult to discuss this thing without sounding like a shitbag.  With that said (and as a likely shitbag) based on the details that have come out so far (especially the recorded phone call) unless the team has some extremely exculpatory evidence, I feel he should be cut (and should have been cut last month when they found out.

This sucks.

I honestly don't get it either hermano. Their thought processes on this will be predictably No Comment.  I think when they knew and how they came to the decisions they did is important facts for we fanbase to know. If for nothing else as an FYI this is how it all went down an why we have acted (Or not have acted) accordingly.

Fat chance. haha I think in due time we MIGHT know how all this went down. But maybe not due to it being a court legal proceeding they could seal records?

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

If I understand correctly, Araiza’s attorney is not claiming a rape did not take place , or a rape did take place.  His stance is Matt had consensual sex with this girl outside while she was cogent, then she went into a room and what happened there he has no clue. 

at least that is how I interpreted the attorney, but I could be wrong. 

That’s how I see the strategy, too. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Yeah this is where we are at in the US. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't think this is about money, this is about taking him down.

It feels like to me that the alleged victim’s attorney has a real issue with Araiza’s attorney. And he’s making a big thing about money, in the tweets and published texts, if it has nothing to do with it! Not saying you’re wrong but, in my mind, he’s letting his client down badly at the moment.

19 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I keep seeing this repeated... I haven't seen anything that says this is true. He allegedly told her to get tested for a STD 2 weeks after their encounter.

Not saying this is the case, but he could have totally been unaware of the chlamydia prior to, during and after the encoutner. Then tested for it during that 2-week window and informed her of his positive test over the phone. 

I haven't seen one ounce of evidence stating he was knowingly chlamydia positive before the encounter.

I'll walk back my comments if there is proof, he was knowingly positive, but this just seems to be people jumping to conclusions. 

Yeah nothing I've read indicated in any way he knowingly gave her an STD.  It is completely reasonable to recommend someone who is sexually active as a teen or recently been physical with several strangers (consensual or not) to get tested.

As a younger man I had an on again off again gf who was very mature and responsible when it came to sex, and would get tested after EVERY new partner or if she had even the slightest inkling of suspicion a partner might have cheated on her.  So hearing that he recommended she get tested after a sexual encounter with several men in one night sounds like a completely mundane thing to me.

4 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

She should fire him immediately. He's totally trying to make a name for himself too. Shameful representation regardless of the veracity of her claims.

4 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

I’m not convinced the attorney is acting like a clown.  I don’t agree with negotiating something like this over text.  I don’t agree with publishing the text messages.  (I’d never trust this guy in a professional setting after something like that.)  But we also don’t know what the goal is here.  It could well be that the vic had a price of peace, that the vic was getting jerked around, and that she and her parents then decided that satisfaction would be achieved by destroying the person whom they believed to be one of her rapists.  (They’re off to a good start in that respect.)

Of course, it also could be that this guy, too, is exploiting the vic and using her case as free advertising.  Or a combination of the two.  But just as I’m not ready to convict Araiza yet, I’m not ready to condemn (most of) the strategy of the vic’s attorney. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Rape is obviously a very serious charge.

If guilty, Matt Araiza should spend the rest of his life behind bars. 

With that said, I find it very disturbing how quickly some of you would cut a 22-year-old kid and end his career.

It's not disrespectful to women to wait for the facts.  We should also reject the idea that it's somehow more righteous to automatically believe every claimed victim, and impulsively throw the accused to the wolves.  That's not justice either.

Personally, I'm glad the Bills officials are willing to let the situation play-out before making a decision on Araiza.  Any player in that locker room could be falsely accused of something criminal.  If it happened to Josh Allen, I have a feeling the opinions amongst Bills Mafia would be a little more reserved.  There would likely be a little more patience in waiting for the truth.  Since we are just talking about the punter, fans think it's OK to just toss him under the bus.  The Bills often claim a "family-like" atmosphere amongst the team, and that kind of attitude could be just as damaging to player morale.  

I'm confident that if Araiza's guilt becomes more clear and apparent, the Bills will make the right decision.

Even if he is 100% innocent, the distraction and media circus that this is already is reason enough for me to cut a punter. 

If this was Josh right now I would want him on Commissioner Except list immediately.

How the Bills and league handle these things doesn’t seem difficult to me, yet they both still continue to screw this up.

• Eyeroll 1

In other news, ex-boxer George Foreman (73) is being taken to trial for raping in the 1970s. 

"Two women who said former heavyweight boxing champion George Foreman sexually abused them in the 1970s have filed lawsuits in a Los Angeles court.

Foreman, 73, has denied the allegations since they first became public last month, and spokespeople referred questions about the lawsuits to an earlier statement by him."

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/34461169/two-women-file-lawsuits-former-boxer-george-foreman-alleging-sexual-abuse-rape

This doesn't have to be elaborated on here. Holy cow! 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

That guy is not helping his client's case.

Like I said 40 pages ago, I think it's likely Araiza had sex with her, but the text messages between the attorneys is pretty damning towards the plaintiff in the civil case.  It looks exactly what a shady attorney would do to extract money out of someone.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

It feels like to me that the alleged victim’s attorney has a real issue with Araiza’s attorney. And he’s making a big thing about money, in the tweets and published texts, if it has nothing to do with it! Not saying you’re wrong but, in my mind, he’s letting his client down badly at the moment.

Wasn't trying to say they don't want some financial award from this. Mostly just saying that you go to the Court of Public Opinion for a variety of reasons...in this situation it seems that they want to force the Bills into terminating him, but maybe the real motivation is that her attorney wants to be the next Avenatti.

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The situations are certainly different… my point was he’s got more leeway with the team despite the accusation because he’s good at his job.

The Bills stood by Dodson who is a back up.  If the Bills feel comfortable with the information given, they’ll keep you.  If they don’t, they’ll get rid of you.

6 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

In the allegation, they were two different occurrences. The sex alleged to have happened outside. And the rape alleged to have happened inside. The allegation is that Araiza was the one that brought her to the room to be raped. 

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m not convinced the attorney is acting like a clown.  I don’t agree with negotiating something like this over text.  I don’t agree with publishing the text messages.  (I’d never trust this guy in a professional setting after something like that.)  But we also don’t know what the goal is here.  It could well be that the vic had a price of peace, that the vic was getting jerked around, and that she and her parents then decided that satisfaction would be achieved by destroying the person whom they believed to be one of her rapists.  (They’re off to a good start in that respect.)

Of course, it also could be that this guy, too, is exploiting the vic and using her case as free advertising.  Or a combination of the two.  But just as I’m not ready to convict Araiza yet, I’m not ready to condemn (most of) the strategy of the vic’s attorney. 

Good point. 

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

No one here has the power to subject Matt to any criminal punishment.  Innocent until proven guilty is for the courts.

This is true. But even in the court of public opinion there is enough evidence to convict him yet. The allegation itself doesn't even directly accuse him of raping her.

1 minute ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Even if he is 100% innocent, the distraction and media circus that this is already is reason enough for me to cut a punter. 

If this was Josh right now I would want him on Commissioner Except list immediately.

How the Bills and league handle these things doesn’t seem difficult to me, yet they both still continue to screw this up.

The key thing is the Bills we’re aware of this at the end of July, carried out an internal investigation and still decided to cut Haack over Araiza. They think they know something we don’t know and, like I said last night, they’re staking the culture and process on it. For their sakes, they better be right.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

All seeming pretty gross to me. 

He hooked up with a girl, she alleges he drugged her, either way she may have been too drunk to consent.  Thats gross.

She was 17, he probably didn't know she was 17, but still kinda gross.  

He brought her into a room where his teammates allegedly raped her.  Basically delivered her to her rape.  Gross.

He very likely covered for his teammates with everyone from police to the University.  Also Gross.

I'd probably cut him today.  

She claimed she was roofied and in and out of consciousness during the rape, however she remembers being alert enough right after the rape to come out of the room and tell a friend she was raped? Crazy she was too incapacitated when the rape happened but remembers clearly as soon as it ended

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1