Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My biggest question is how did Araiza and the other 2 get tied to this rape? The girl says she didn’t know what was happening and how many there were.

Someone had to have told her who the guys were.

Maybe.  But the ID of Araiza isn’t a huge issue right now (unless the focus turns solely to the assault that occurred inside the room).  The controlled call didn’t go so well for Araiza.  And his attorney seems to have acknowledged “consensual” contact.  There’s a good chance of a DNA deposit, too.  (Although it might be cloudy because of the possibility of multiple contributors.). So I’m not too concerned with how the vic came to know Araiza’s identity. 

20 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

If the Bills want to get rid of him without wading into innocent or guilty, they can just say he didn’t disclose this pre-draft and they felt misled. I kind of hope this is what they do.

Unless he actually did disclose it and now the bills are the ones being shady 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

102 pages and counting on a subject most of you don't know 💩 about, including me. Staying out of this convo. A lot of you should do the same.

Every now and then I like to jump into a thread like this and share an opinion just to get a bunch of puke, thumbs down and x emojis because no matter what on a subject like this someone will feel strongly about the opposite opinion right or wrong. Qualified to make an opinion or unqualified, it doesn't matter

Why I do it, not sure. Maybe I'm just a psycho like Ken Dorsey 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He's an punter. Cut him and move on. He's not a star player or even an important one. Treat him as such. Cut him and go find someone else. 

I don’t care if he is innocent or not. Let someone else take a chance on him. The Bills sole purpose is to win a Championship and who the punter is won't make a difference.

It will make a difference.   Rest of the players will see that the team doesn't have their back. Team will fall apart quicker your way.

Steelers went on to win.  KC too... Blackhawks too with all their wife-swapping, sex scandal allegations. It's not a distraction if the team believes him. It's actually the opposite.  

• Agree 3

Pretty big uproar already.  As far as football goes, it's probably best for the Bills to cut ties if this drags on - it's too much of a distraction.

If it does turn out to be false or he's innocent, he'll get a job somewhere else.  It wouldn't be totally fair that he got cut, but that's the world we kind of live in now, and he'd land on his feet if that was the case.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

41 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Get rid of him. Today. 

Anyone giving him the “benefit of the doubt” at this point are doing so because he’s a Bill. 

If he turns out to be completely innocent, let some other team deal with that. 

Fun times when the first three results when you google “Buffalo Bills” today include the phrase gang rape… 

Sorry, but I think your benefit-of-the-doubt remark is bs.

Being raped is horrific and rapists are evil.  

But being falsely accused of rape is pretty bad too.  Remember Brian Banks?  He was falsely accused of rape and the case against him was so compelling that Banks did prison time.  His youthful dreams were shattered by a liar and a society that was too willing to believe her.  

I don't know what happened in this case.  But if Matt is innocent, do we want to compound a wrong (false accusation) with another wrong (firing him from his job)?  That's immoral and unjust.    

Rapes happen.  Admittedly it's far less frequent, but so do false accusations.  So far, Araiza hasn't been arrested let alone convicted - except in the mind of some here posting.  Until the Bills can assess probability, the best thing to do is to continue to investigate.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

What happened to “In Beane we trust” ????

The Bills investigated and and decided to believe in his innocence. They clearly no way more than we do after hearing a totally one sided claim! Why do we all of a sudden not trust this organization???

I am saddened by a lot of what I’m reading but encouraged by some. Overall, fellow Bills fans or not…humans are humans and this is pretty much how people would be with any fanbase I guess. 

Me however, will stick by my beloved franchise until facts prove they made a wrong decision. They rest of you wanna turn in the Bills for this can ***** off and go watch golf on Sundays!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

From a purely clinical viewpoint, this is 100% correct. He’s a rookie punter. When you are in the Bills position you don’t take a chance with a distraction like this for a rookie punter. Doing so would be incompetent. 

Edited to add: I expect the Bills to sign his replacement and move on. Stuff like that can take a little time. 

I agree with you.  The Bills probably don’t want any part of this mess.  I do think Araiza punts tonight, because otherwise we either have to not punt tonight (hurts special teams evaluate) or fire someone other than Araiza to roster a new punter (and deprive that person of the opportunity to make tape). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 1ManRaid said:

You generally don't just "sober up" from date rape drugs like that.  If she was sedated enough to cause unconsciousness, she's not coherent until the morning at least.  These drugs are known to cause amnesia of the event (which is part of why they're used), so it's highly unlikely she's roofied into unconsciousness, and then just snaps out of it with full clarity to be telling her friends.

I don’t know what beyond alcohol she ingested, how much of it she ingested or if there was anything else at all. Seems very plausible to me that someone who’d just been gang raped for 90-120 minutes and was conscious enough to walk out of a room and communicate with another person would realized that they’d been raped.

33 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

With that said, I find it very disturbing how quickly some of you would cut a 22-year-old kid and end his career.

Cutting him does not end his career - it just means the Bills move on from him.  If he is found guilty that will end his career.  If he is innocent he can try out for any other team.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, StHustle said:

some people are totally hypocritical! Let this have happened to his son and his tune would be totally different. People have no respect for real justice and losing your job even though you’re innocent so fans can enjoy their entertainment is utterly ridiculous!!

Guilty or innocent of a crime if that was my son who pulled something like this and exploited a child there would be significant consequences.  Also, Araiza doesn’t have a right to this job.  He put himself in a bad spot.  Maybe he didn’t act criminally.  Maybe he did.  But it seems like he’s guilty of behaving like an obnoxious frat boy and, if he loses his job over the issue, then that’s his problem.  

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

in one message he sent to Araiza he says he gang-raped her

https://twitter.com/dangilleon/status/1563146981169500162/photo/1

In another he says he had sex with her

Like I said, she deserves better representation. 

Counter point, what if this Lawyer is tactfully or untactfully putting all of this information out there so its widely available to make sure that the defending attorney can not claim any of this evidence as privileged.

its unconventional and wild but could really be tactful. 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Perhaps one day you'll be in a situation where someone "throws the book" at you for something you never did......

and if that ever happens to me where there is no basis for the claim, I sue for defamation and slander. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

She claimed she was in and out of consciousness during the whole process

Right. You don’t think a person who was in an out of consciousness while being gang raped for 90-120 minutes could realized that they were raped?

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lawyers being lawyers. 

It’s interesting that the lawyer mentions his client getting cut. I wonder if the Bills thought a settlement was near.

The text messages shared by the woman's lawyer indicate the woman's lawyer was calling both the Bills and Araiza. It is also insinuated that the woman's lawyer presented a settlement offer to Araiza directly. Araiza's lawyer told the woman's lawyer to stop calling both the Bills and Araiza. He tells the woman's lawyer that he doesn't believe Araiza is interested in "settling" any civil case that was threatened. Two days later, Araiza's lawyer texted the woman's lawyer and asked what number the woman was looking for -- as Araiza's parents wanted to know. Araiza's lawyer was making the point to the woman's lawyer that if he kept calling the Bills, pissed them off and they cut Araiza -- there would be no money to get. It sounds to me like Araiza's lawyer was being asked by Araiza's parents to see what kind of real money they were looking for to make this go away -- I suspect the initial ask/demand to Araiza was a big one.

This case hardly appears to be an open and shut case. The woman's lawyer sounds very much like a scumbag and she sounds like she was interested in getting money from Araiza.    

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Do we really want this dark cloud hanging over the Bills and their superbowl run ?

Is a punter worth it ?

In a vacuum, no.   Beane/FO cannot make their decisions based off Twitter. 

That doesn’t mean go Browns and stick by him if there are dozens of accusers and mountains of evidence, but they have to think about the team.  

Unless Araiza is a complete tool, I’m 99% sure most of the team has his back right now and would feel the organization is sus if they release him within 24 hours of this going viral nationally. 

54 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

It is this sort of trying via social media that is messed up. Soooo many questions here. Why would a lawyer post this? As a medical professional this is extremely traumatizing and the entire world knows? Even if the young lady said go ahead with this.....I do not know of ANY mental health professionals who would agree that this is a good idea. Also, now that this is out there (truth or not) this young woman will be scrutinized. Statements like "when was it written?" "Did she make it up to sway the case?" "How can it be used as evidence with no archival data attached?" Etc.

It is a despicable act to re-traumatize this young lady to win a case of public support.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Cutting him does not end his career - it just means the Bills move on from him.  If he is found guilty that will end his career.  If he is innocent he can try out for any other team.

If we can't have him... Nobody can! Why is that unreasonable? I trust the team,  if they believe him, keep him. 

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Guilty or innocent of a crime if that was my son who pulled something like this and exploited a child there would be significant consequences.  Also, Araiza doesn’t have a right to this job.  He put himself in a bad spot.  Maybe he didn’t act criminally.  Maybe he did.  But it seems like he’s guilty of behaving like an obnoxious frat boy and, if he loses his job over the issue, then that’s his problem.  

Wow…exploited a child?? Smh. She showed up to a college party admittedly already have been drinking. 17 year olds aren’t 12 she is legal age for sex in most states and knows exactly what she was doing going somewhere with grown men. That alone gives reason to believe the claims made that she said she was 18!and a freshman in college. In California that makes it NOT A CRIME to have sex with her under this circumstances. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Right. You don’t think a person who was in an out of consciousness while being gang raped for 90-120 minutes could realized that they were raped?

She was alert enough to tell a friend right afterwards that she was raped. So the in and out of consciousness ended as soon as the rape was over. Coincidence 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, StHustle said:

Wow…exploited a child?? Smh. She showed up to a college party admittedly already have been drinking. 17 year olds aren’t 12 she is legal age for sex in most states and knows exactly what she was doing going somewhere with grown men. That alone gives reason to believe the claims made that she said she was 18!and a freshman in college. In California that makes it NOT A CRIME to have sex with her under this circumstances. 

the ol' its partially her fault she got raped. Good job

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Agree... I expect the team to stick by him IF they believe him.  That's what seems to be happening. 

Part of the reason I'm a little more innocent until proven guilty in this case is that I've personally had a friend nearly ruined because of a false rape claim.  I'm not saying he is innocent, but I can't stand the mob lynching at the drop of a hat on just the accusation. So it really bugs me to see people say false rape claims never happen.

I've personally had to intervene and shut down a false rape claim against my best friend by a female friend of mine he was dating.  Both her and my ex (her best friend) were literally set to go to the police the next day with her mom to both file false rape claims against him, after already admitting to me it was bogus and they were just doing this because they were angry at him and wanted a way to break up with him and not look bad.  I knew they both only dated him (and another friend of mine) because it was actually me they liked and knew they could spend time with me through my friends, so I made it clear to them that ruining my best friend's life with these false claims would 100% forever make me hate them and want nothing to do with them other than vigorously pursuing charges against them for false claims.  That was enough to get them to back off and not go through with pressing charges.  The worst part is the mom knew the claims were false and was encouraging them to go through with it anyways, I think out of some general hatred for men from her divorce. 

• Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

You and I have a different view of things.  I don’t believe that an adult should engage in that activity with a drunk child.  So yes, Araiza exploited a child.  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

27 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

We have reached 100+ pages in less than a day - ABOUT OUR PUNTER.  Seems like an unnecessary distraction for a team that punts maybe once or twice a game 

Do you really think this is about our punter? 

Just now, CountDorkula said:

the ol' its partially her fault she got raped. Good job

where did I mention rape? I’m talking about the fact that 16, 17 year olds lying about their age to make them older does NOT make them victims when they get the sex they were hoping for. To call it child exploitation is total bullsh*t. 

The rape is a whole nother aspect and one that Araiza said he is innocent of. He admitted to having consensual sex with her and people want to hang him for that alone cause she was 17

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

It is this sort of trying via social media that is messed up. Soooo many questions here. Why would a lawyer post this? As a medical professional this is extremely traumatizing and the entire world knows? Even if the young lady said go ahead with this.....I do not know of ANY mental health professionals who would agree that this is a good idea. Also, now that this is out there (truth or not) this young woman will be scrutinized. Statements like "when was it written?" "Did she make it up to sway the case?" "How can it be used as evidence with no archival data attached?" Etc.

It is a despicable act to re-traumatize this young lady to win a case of public support.

It seems extremely unprofessional for a lawyer to post a client's journal on social media 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

She was alert enough to tell a friend right afterwards that she was raped. So the in and out of consciousness ended as soon as the rape was over. Coincidence 

What is this, the 1950s?  Let’s see what the rape kit holds.  Hard to fake the physical injury the kit could (and, here, given prior reports, likely will) find. 

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

where did I mention rape? I’m talking about the fact that 16, 17 year olds lying about their age to make them older does NOT make them victims when they get the sex they were hoping for. To call it child exploitation is total bullsh*t. 

The rape is a whole nother aspect and one that Araiza said he is innocent of. He admitted to having consensual sex with her and people want to hang him for that alone cause she was 17

And that she was intoxicated.  And that he was an adult.  And that the rest of the allegations, though to this point unproven, are abhorrent. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Ridiculous take

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

You and I have a different view of things.  I don’t believe that an adult should engage in that activity with a drunk child.  So yes, Araiza exploited a child.  

Seems like judge and Jury is already out? It’s been decided he did this? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I mean, his Twitter tagline DOES say “… and middle aged lawyer who would rather be fishing”.

1 hour ago, Bandito said:

Are you referring to me? I said that piercings are common among HS girls under the age of 18. Not sure how you thought that factual statement was out of touch?

Not at all. I was piggybacking on your response to Buffaloflash who suggested her parents were somehow lacking by “letting” their teenager get piercings, etc. Buffaloflash’s comment was the one out of touch.

Edited by K-9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Though do we have explicit evidence that he knew she was a child? She says she told him he was 17; defence witnesses state she told many people present that she was 18.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Even if said “child” looked like an adult and lied and said she was an adult on a college campus where plenty freshman/sophomore woman look just like her? Hang him cause he didn’t verify ID? You sir are a scumbag to judge other people based of BS like that. You must be mr perfect that got everything right or some loser who didn’t get any action around that age and totally have no idea what goes on! You know how many people in this thread were lied to by underage woman?? Totally absolve the liar and blame the person who took their word for it???

Tou are what’s wrong with America and I can pretty much guess what News station you watch!

• Angry 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t know what beyond alcohol she ingested, how much of it she ingested or if there was anything else at all. Seems very plausible to me that someone who’d just been gang raped for 90-120 minutes and was conscious enough to walk out of a room and communicate with another person would realized that they’d been raped.

I was mostly addressing the mentions that she had been or possibly had been roofied, not being generally drunk.  If you're drunk and THEN roofied, that is DEFINITELY something you don't just wake up coherent from in only 2 hours.  Just drunk, sure maybe it's possible to snap out of like that for a bit.