Cutting Star Lotulelei- why not ask him to retire?

Commish

If we cut Star there's a cap hit and he doesn't get paid - if he retires there's no cap hit and he doesn't get paid. Doubt that he really wants to go join another team and keep playing, and I feel like he owes Beane a favor.  What am I missing?

• Eyeroll 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1) He may not want to retire and 2) even if he does, money will still count against the Bills. They don’t get out scott-free, I know that. 

Oh and 3) I don’t think he’s a guy interested in cutting Beane any favors.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Commish said:

If we cut Star there's a cap hit and he doesn't get paid - if he retires there's no cap hit and he doesn't get paid. Doubt that he really wants to go join another team and keep playing, and I feel like he owes Beane a favor.  What am I missing?

You're missing the fact that Star has $1.5M amortized signing bonus for this year and next, plus $2.5M guaranteed salary this season.

If he retires, the Bills can ask him to pay back $3M and decline to pay him $2.5M

Remember the Eric Wood "Retirement Conference" where he very carefully did not use the word "retire"?  He had literally millions of reasons to avoid that word.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Still puzzling he's on the roster but even more puzzling that his deal was restructered in a way that didn't give us the option to dump him right now without cap ramifications.

Either way would be shocked if he's on this roster heading into camp.

The deal was restructured before Covid and the opt-out season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Still puzzling he's on the roster but even more puzzling that his deal was restructered in a way that didn't give us the option to dump him right now without cap ramifications.

Either way would be shocked if he's on this roster heading into camp.

There's this thing that happened called COVID...

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Commish said:

Firstly, what makes you think another team wouldn't sign him and secondly, if he is cut there is a once a career flyer a player can take to be compensated for his yearly salary he would have received before being cut, but he can only do this once in his career.  Most likely he would choose to do that this year.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The deal was restructured before Covid and the opt-out season.

I know but my point is that after the restructure year (which was 2021 even though it should have been 2020) it should have given us the ability to dump him or make him an UFA like the situation with many others (beasely, Addison, Butler, etc).

The restructure essentially gave star leverage for 2 more seasons which seems pointless in terms of the restructure in the first place.

Like others have said, this was clearly Beane's worst deal here in Buffalo but also one of his first so it is what it is....

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Firstly, what makes you think another team wouldn't sign him and secondly, if he is cut there is a once a career flyer a player can take to be compensated for his yearly salary he would have received before being cut, but he can only do this once in his career.  Most likely he would choose to do that this year.

So there's a lot of stuff mixed together here.

The "once a career flyer" to be compensated for a yearly salary, applies to a vested veteran WHO IS ON THE ROSTER THE FIRST DAY OF THE SEASON.  So that only comes into play in September.

Second, even if another team signs a released Lotulelei for $2.5M or more, whether the Bills would get relief for that or still be on the hook depends upon whether Lotulelei has "offset language" in his contract.  "Offset language" allows guaranteed money owed the player by the contracting club to be "offset" by any money the player earns if he's cut and signed elsewhere.

Star's contract overall is pretty terrible for the Bills - he must have a good agent/lawyers - so I doubt he has offset language.

I still hold out hope for a "retirement" agreement with Star.

That being said if he is a no go with that idea I feel they should NOT let him hang around camp only to be cut in September.

Release him now and give whose reps to some other players that may be on the team in the fall.

I've been a fan of Star but it's over for me.  Move on now and stop the $2.6M dead money hit for next year.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That being said if he is a no go with that idea I feel they should NOT let him hang around camp only to be cut in September.

Release him now and give whose reps to some other players that may be on the team in the fall.

I've been a fan of Star but it's over for me.  Move on now and stop the $2.6M dead money hit for next year.

Why should he give back money?  You get paid crap on your rookie deal so you can earn a 2nd and 3rd contract.  He was overpaid, so what?  That's not his problem.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Why not trade Start and a draft pick to a team with space in exchange for a lower round pick?  I would have thrown Cole in the mix here as well.  These are players that still have value just maybe not at their current number without a kicker.

Contracts go with the player via trade. That is why no one wanted Cole.  No one will want Star either. And trade or cut has no bearing on salary dead cap hit.

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HansLanda said:

We have to "deal" with him this year. there is no way they can just cut him and eat the dead money - very little chance of any trade...and, hey, with rose colored glasses, maybe he has a big year. 

There's still cap savings though.  If you believe he's sufficiently replaced - cut him.  You can split the dead money over 2 years if you need space this year.  

4.1 on a post-june cut is pretty good.  Anything you carry over lessens the dead hit in 2023 as well.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

There's still cap savings though.  If you believe he's sufficiently replaced - cut him.  You can split the dead money over 2 years if you need space this year.  

4.1 on a post-june cut is pretty good.  Anything you carry over lessens the dead hit in 2023 as well.  

you still need someone to play

1 hour ago, Commish said:

Seriously, would YOU leave money on the table? Granted, you aren't an NFL player making millions. There is still a cap hit for the bonus already paid but not for salary that is NOT guaranteed.

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Contracts go with the player via trade. That is why no one wanted Cole.  No one will want Star either

Someone would owe him - 6.1 + per game active and workout bonuses totalling like 600k.  You'd be getting him for 1 year and 6.7M, the 2nd year has a roster bonus of 1M but it isn't guaranteed until the start of 2023.  

Thats not.. a ton?  But it's a lot for a player who isn't that good.  Nothing changes anytime soon either - wait til the other guys sign and see if theres a market.  

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're missing the fact that Star has $1.5M amortized signing bonus for this year and next, plus $2.5M guaranteed salary this season.

If he retires, the Bills can ask him to pay back $3M and decline to pay him $2.5M

Remember the Eric Wood "Retirement Conference" where he very carefully did not use the word "retire"?  He had literally millions of reasons to avoid that word.

and if we don’t take it back it’s a dead cap hit because it’s paid money.

this thread is not a good one

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Why should he give back money?  You get paid crap on your rookie deal so you can earn a 2nd and 3rd contract.  He was overpaid, so what?  That's not his problem.  

Team and players come to retirement agreements.  My point is Star doesn't have to give money back.

An agreement would be he keeps his $5.2M he already got in signing bonus.

He would just retire and not show up to camp and give up his 2022 Base Salary guarantee of $2.5M.

As far as the $2.5M he could ask the Bills to split it with him.

Well paid team players have done things like this in the past.

Of course he can say no.  My real point is if they are going to cut him after camp just cut him now.

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Contracts go with the player via trade. That is why no one wanted Cole.  No one will want Star either. And trade or cut has no bearing on salary dead cap hit.

Cole was on the cusp of being overpaid, and for his age no one wants to extend him.  

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Team and players come to retirement agreements.  My point is Star doesn't have to give money back.

An agreement would be he keeps his $5.2M he already got in signing bonus.

He would just retire and not show up to camp and give up his 2022 Base Salary guarantee of $2.5M.

As far as the $2.5M he could ask the Bills to split it with him.

Well paid team players have done things like this in the past.

Of course he can say no.  My real point is if they are going to cut him after camp just cut him now.

Trade market could theoretically materialize.  If you need the 4 milliion now go get it, but if you don't whats the hurry? 

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Trade market could theoretically materialize.  If you need the 4 milliion now go get it, but if you don't whats the hurry? 

I seriously doubt a trade could happen.  My thinking is why keep him around eating reps in camp that another player could get

the experience from.  

For all those who say he is worth the money this year I look at is this way.

He has a $9.23M hit this year.  If he plays out the year the Bills owe him $2.6M next year in signing bonus.

That's in essence about $12M in cost for his part time play this year.

Sometimes you buy stock in a company that turned bad.  Just cut your losses.

21 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I seriously doubt a trade could happen.  My thinking is why keep him around eating reps in camp that another player could get

the experience from.  

For all those who say he is worth the money this year I look at is this way.

He has a $9.23M hit this year.  If he plays out the year the Bills owe him $2.6M next year in signing bonus.

That's in essence about $12M in cost for his part time play this year.

Sometimes you buy stock in a company that turned bad.  Just cut your losses.

Those numbers are absolutely criminal. Easily Beane’s worst signing, but he just landed us Von B'Vsean Miller Jr. so I’ll forgive this one. Hopefully the contract taught him something.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

Wouldn’t that be a weird thing to ask someone?

Not as weird as asking for a year off and then coming back still unvaccinated only to be sidelined again. Dude basically embezzled millions over the last few years.

Edited by Governor
  • Agree 1

The only way he retires is if you have a wink wink deal to say, hire him on as fan ambassador or something for more money then he's due... of course, that's against the rules and is likely a hefty fine and a 1st round pick. 

So why do you want the Bills to lose a 1st round draft pick?

Still the same. Proration will have to be paid. No different savings either way. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes but then taking on a $7.7 cap hit this year.    Is it worth when next years cap is expanding much more so a $2.6 mil hit is a much lower percentage of the total cap.  I think if they do sign J Phillips, (maybe was already confirmed and I didn't see the post yet) good chance he's gone in the final cut downs. 

Basically if they cut him now, they're saving $1.5 mil.  What if a couple of DT's get hurt in training camp or pre-season?  Keep him around for now, see how camp goes if no big injuries then let him go in September.  If you let Star go now and then have injuries, not likely they will find a player as good as he is basically for $1.5 mil which is the saving by cutting him now.  As far as reps for other players go, if the team does intend to cut him in September, they can keep him around but keep him mainly on the sideline and give him minimal reps and practice time.

He did start off the 2021 season playing well till Covid hit him

1 hour ago, buffalostu2 said:

Why not trade Start and a draft pick to a team with space in exchange for a lower round pick?  I would have thrown Cole in the mix here as well.  These are players that still have value just maybe not at their current number without a kicker.

I can think of 9.2 million reason why a team wouldn't want to trade for him, his salary.  The Bills may have to throw in a 2nd or a 3rd to get someone with cap space to take on that salary.  Throw in Beasley, now a team is taking on close to $16 mil in salary.  Trades to dump players have to be sweet deals for the team taking on the player or the player must still be wort hat least close to the contract value.

I recall the Texans trading Osweiler and his $16 mil contract along with a 2nd & a 6th round pick to Cleveland for 4th rounder who then cut him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.