So much for trusting the process

ProcessTruster

unless the cap expands a heck of a lot in the next few years, this whole thing may fall apart in 2-3  years.. McD will get fired, all the schemes will change, the dead cap hits will explode, and we'll be right back where we started from during the drought.   

Is spending our way back to drought-land  worth winning a SB, which itself is more crap shoot (see Bengals this year) than ever.  Is it?   What if they can't stay healthy during the VonMiller "shinyobjectoverspend" era?   Then its 2025, all the talent gets cut to get down to the cap, etc, etc.  Drought city.  

they had a roster capable of winning it last year, one ST coach shat the bed at crunch time to screw that up.  why all of a sudden change course and wreck the cap chasing older shiny objects?  Have they suddenly lost the faith in the process that got them to the brink of the trophy?   What happened to "doing your 1/11th".   Team defense.   Team culture.  Hell, lets go sign freakin Jarvis Landry, who makes Star's selfishness look like child's play.  Lets blow it all up to get one trophy that will collect dust for rest of Josh's career.  

so much for "trusting the process" ... the process just got tossed out the window.  not sure I am good with this.   We shall see.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 23
  • Eyeroll 10
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 7
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 7

9 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

unless the cap expands a heck of a lot in the next few years, this whole thing may fall apart in 2-3  years.. McD will get fired, all the schemes will change, the dead cap hits will explode, and we'll be right back where we started from during the drought.   

Is spending our way back to drought-land  worth winning a SB, which itself is more crap shoot (see Bengals this year) than ever.  Is it?   What if they can't stay healthy during the VonMiller "shinyobjectoverspend" era?   Then its 2025, all the talent gets cut to get down to the cap, etc, etc.  Drought city.  

they had a roster capable of winning it last year, one ST coach shat the bed at crunch time to screw that up.  why all of a sudden change course and wreck the cap chasing older shiny objects?  Have they suddenly lost the faith in the process that got them to the brink of the trophy?   What happened to "doing your 1/11th".   Team defense.   Team culture.  Hell, lets go sign freakin Jarvis Landry, who makes Star's selfishness look like child's play.  Lets blow it all up to get one trophy that will collect dust for rest of Josh's career.  

so much for "trusting the process" ... the process just got tossed out the window.  not sure I am good with this.   We shall see.  

I do not agree.  Cap at minimum is going up 10M a year, new TV deals HUGE jump next year watch.  THen the New Stadiums as well (Buffalo) all generate increases in cap.  This is still process Win now and Win in Future that has been their motto and that still is what they are doing.  3 years 53M is the REAL deal.  That is easily manageable in the future.

Have an elite Pass rusher and still have all their picks.  That is the epitome of win now and in the future.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5

12 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Oh no! We made Miller like the 8th or 9th highest paid pass rusher in the league. WE’RE DOOMED! THE SKY IS FALLING.

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

First off, ridiculous post.  

Second off… “Then it’s 2025 and we’re cutting talent to get under the cap..”.  It’s essentially a 3yr/53M deal.  In 2025, we can move off Von Miller. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

I don't agree. Beane has pretty much stayed true to the process. I think the moves have improved the team.  Miller is a monster in big games. It's a lot of money but short term it can pay off big time. The other moves seem solid but not flashy. Saffold is a clear upgrade but again he's older and was pretty expensive. The Miller and Saffold additions seem to be "all in" pick ups for a super bowl run. It's hard to fault Beane and company for improving the Bills chances to hold the Lombardi Trophy. Others in the AFC have become much better on paper too. More specifically, the Chargers and Broncos. The Chiefs of course are still right there and Cinci with Burrows and an improved Oline are formidable. It's hard not to be excited about the upcoming year. The opportunity is greater than ever. No doubt the Bills will be one of if not the number one favorite team to win the super bowl. Not sure how I feel about that. With that said, the anticipation for the upcoming season has me salivating...

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Then change your user name

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Day drinking? 

• Like (+1) 1

Put yourself back circa 2010 for a second…. which was w/o looking likely a mediocre season with a roster full of mediocre players amidst a playoff drought..

Good- now ask yourself again if you’re upset by the Bills LOADING up to win a Ship in 2022…

This is what good organizations do, they go all in when the iron is hot… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

The report that Pegulas wanted to make big offseason splash move to offset any criticism about receiving 1 billion for stadium was accurate. I think Miller has another 2 years of productive football and then you may be eating some dead money. I still like the move because pass rush and getting to the QB is been our biggest problem

43 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

surely, you can't be serious

I like the Miller signing and unlike the OP I'm going to wait to see the numbers but I feel pretty confident in Beane.  As others have pointed out the salary cap will go up in the next few years.  The Bills have all of their draft picks to get young, cheap guys at WR, CB, and OL.

• Like (+1) 1

Not a great post. Check your suppositions. If you want to make a stupid, crazy, false post, you need to make your original suppositions supporting your theory a little more believable. Try something like this:

"My sources tell me that schemes will change, McDermott will get fired ..."

or maybe

"Many people in the know say that schemes will change, McDermott will get fired ...."

You need to lie a bit more early on to make yourself seem more intelligent and credible in order to support such idiotic opinions. Thanks for watching my Ted talk on how to support stupid opinions.

• Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Cool story. In those 2-3 years, how many SB’s will we win?

49 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Man I hope you got that hit of dopamine after this. Otherwise, yikes

25 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Right-o.   The Bills 17 year playoff drought was because they amassed top-notch FO and coaching staffs and added so many great players that they were always in "cap hell".

If you believe that, can I interest you in a slightly used but fairly recently rehabbed bridge over Chautauqua Lake I have for sale?

• Like (+1) 1

The Saints, who are always like 70 million over the cap, barely lost any players,  just signed the Jets DB for good $$ and are a serious bidder for Deshaun Watson, as are the Falcons, who would absorb like a billion dollars in dead cap to move Matt Ryan's contract. 

My conclusion? The cap can always be managed. 

The only thing cap-wise that you can't escape is Star's contract, apparently. THAT will always be with us.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Someone doesn't understand that A. The cap is drastically going up in the next few years and B. The process is building a team core from the ground up in house mostly (which is already done) and then signing a few high priced studs to put the cherry on top/icing on the cake.  This IS the process.  Just enjoy the ride instead of being a Debbie Downer the Sky is Falling type of person.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

You don’t get it huh? 

6 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Someone doesn't understand that A. The cap is drastically going up in the next few years and B. The process is building a team core from the ground up in house mostly (which is already done) and then signing a few high priced studs to put the cherry on top/icing on the cake.  This IS the process.  Just enjoy the ride instead of being a Debbie Downer the Sky is Falling type of person.

Didn't I just say that ? lol

I know! We should just keep signing marginal players for really cheap contracts! Doesn’t everyone know that’s how you win championships?!?! Why would they sign Miller when they could have Jordan Phillips???? Because if this one contract the Bills will Never be able to sign any player ever again! It’s time to trade Josh!!! We are doomed I tell you dooooooooomed!!!

is this the reaction you were looking for? Or will you let the guys who actually know what they’re doing actually do their job? I mean I’m sure you know all the ins and outs of the salary cap, but maybe, just maybe, these guys know it a little better than you 

• Like (+1) 1

Also, in 3 years, Josh Allen will still be in his prime.  

Anyone who thinks Beane would do anything to jeopardize Josh Allen’s career here is out of their mind.  There may be some dead cap money in Years 4, 5 & 6 of the Miller deal where we’re paying for a guy no longer here, but from all the reporting, it doesn’t seem to be unmanageable.  Especially with the cap going up. 

What this does mean is no more Cody Ford’s and no more hefty contracts for guys like Star, Klein, Butler, Addison and Hughes.  

Judging by the signings of Settle & Jones, we seem to be moving in the right direction.  

These next few drafts will be very important to find impact guys ready to take over in a few years.  

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

How do we know the process didn't include building the best possible team THEN adding a few Key players to get over the hump?

To me this was the process all along

maybe the process was the friends we made long the way.

• Haha (+1) 1

The cap will be going up $20 million or more a year for the next 4 years. Maybe you should actually understand how it works before posting drivel like this.

Herbert and Burrow will become $60 million a year QB club members during this time and we will be talking about how Allen is such a bargain at $40 million.

More importantly tho...

Get a ***** clue.

Edited by Big Turk

27 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

The report that Pegulas wanted to make big offseason splash move to offset any criticism about receiving 1 billion for stadium was accurate. I think Miller has another 2 years of productive football and then you may be eating some dead money. I still like the move because pass rush and getting to the QB is been our biggest problem

The way that many serious athletes take care of themselves today, it's entirely possible that Miller could be effective for most of his contract, but that's not why he was signed.  We all know that Miller was signed to bring a Lombardi home to Buffalo.  This is the kind of move an organization seriously determined to win a Super Bowl makes.

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

The Saints, who are always like 70 million over the cap, barely lost any players,  just signed the Jets DB for good $$ and are a serious bidder for Deshaun Watson, as are the Falcons, who would absorb like a billion dollars in dead cap to move Matt Ryan's contract. 

My conclusion? The cap can always be managed. 

Absolutely.  Look around the league at all the teams that have built dynasties during the salary cap era, namely the Patriots, Chiefs, Ravens, and Steelers.  Those teams have been perennial playoff teams and serious SB contenders for most of the last two decades.   There are numerous other teams that have been pretty good for most of this century, too, so the salary cap is not really an impediment to building a winning team. 

OTOH, there are several teams that have been perpetual bottom feeders for a better part of the last two decades, despite free agency and the salary cap preventing the "have" teams from hoarding all their talent.   Those perpetual bottom feeders use the salary cap as an excuse -- as the Bills once did -- to mask the incompetence and mismanagement on the part of ownership/management. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I do not agree.  Cap at minimum is going up 10M a year, new TV deals HUGE jump next year watch.  THen the New Stadiums as well (Buffalo) all generate increases in cap.  This is still process Win now and Win in Future that has been their motto and that still is what they are doing.  3 years 53M is the REAL deal.  That is easily manageable in the future.

Have an elite Pass rusher and still have all their picks.  That is the epitome of win now and in the future.

Plenty of reporting that cap could go up 25 million next year. We all forget the cap came down during covid by about 20 million. NFL is king, the cap is going to go way up in the next three years.

• Thank you (+1) 1