Packers and Rodgers agree to deal. 4 year 200 million

BillsMafi$

• BillsMafi$ changed the title to Packers and Rodgers agree to deal. 4 year 200 million

🥱zzzzz

• Like (+1) 1

Not surprised at all. All the talk about going to an AFC team made no sense whatsoever to me, especially Denver.

Guy wants to get to another Super Bowl then joins a division with Mahomes/Herbert plus Allen/Burrow/Jackson/probably forgetting someone in the conference? Staying in Green Bay seemed very obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

Wow.   I'm not a contract or cap guy, but this seems to me to be a big mistake by the Packers.   

I think Rodgers is something of a loose cannon.  Certainly a prima donna.  He's a spectacular player, to be sure, but I'd bet that by his second season under this deal, he'll be a problem.  

Pack can't start Jordan Love in 2022, or in 2023.  After the 2022 season, Pack will have to decide whether to extend Jordan Love, and after 2023 they'll have to decide whether to extend him.  Have they already decided that Love isn't the guy?    Maybe they'll trade him. 

I don't know.  Just seems like there are a lot of problems built into this deal.  

Great deal for Rodgers.   $143 guaranteed.   Nearly $80 million after tax.  He doesn't need a nickel of it, so his children and grandchildren, if he ever has any, will be set for life.  

And if he's unhappy after a year, he can force a trade to a team that needs a QB to make a serious Super Bowl run.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.   I'm not a contract or cap guy, but this seems to me to be a big mistake by the Packers.   

I think Rodgers is something of a loose cannon.  Certainly a prima donna.  He's a spectacular player, to be sure, but I'd bet that by his second season under this deal, he'll be a problem.  

Pack can't start Jordan Love in 2022, or in 2023.  After the 2022 season, Pack will have to decide whether to extend Jordan Love, and after 2023 they'll have to decide whether to extend him.  Have they already decided that Love isn't the guy?    Maybe they'll trade him. 

I don't know.  Just seems like there are a lot of problems built into this deal.  

Great deal for Rodgers.   $143 guaranteed.   Nearly $80 million after tax.  He doesn't need a nickel of it, so his children and grandchildren, if he ever has any, will be set for life.  

And if he's unhappy after a year, he can force a trade to a team that needs a QB to make a serious Super Bowl run.  

I mean I get what you mean, but if the alternative to this deal is entering QB purgatory then it makes all the sense in the world.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Malazan said:

This is good for the Bills. Raises the price for other QBs (lamar) and likely keeps Adams from FA reducing the number of receivers when the 3 other teams in the AFC East need WRs badly and two of them have a lot of cap space. 

WR market is thinning out quick with Adams most likely staying, Godwin tagged, Ridley succesfully removing himself from the league lol, a banged up ODB.

Options are starting to be more Amari Cooper, Allen Robinson, and potentially Beasley 

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

WR market is thinning out quick with Adams most likely staying, Godwin tagged, Ridley succesfully removing himself from the league lol, a banged up ODB.

Options are starting to be more Amari Cooper, Allen Robinson, and potentially Beasley 

Cooper and Robinson alone make it a good crop of FA WRs and the draft is once again very strong too. 

4 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

$50M a year to get drama every year about wanting a trade to another team/mulling retirement, along with going no further than the NFC championship game…bad decision by the Packers!

You left out winning 70% of their games with him over his career, and over 80% of their games the last three years....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean I get what you mean, but if the alternative to this deal is entering QB purgatory then it makes all the sense in the world.

Well, I'm not saying these decisions are easy.   But, as we see with other positions, sometimes you just have to decide to move on to your future, instead of overcommitting to try to relive the past.   

It's interesting that Ted Thompson, the Packers' former GM, when faced with an aging HOF QB and a first-round pick on the bench, made exactly the opposite decision.  It took courage to say to Favre and the fans that one era was ending and an unknown new era was beginning.   Current GM didn't have that courage. 

15 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

4 years 200 mill

thats a lot of guac for a guy that can’t get the job done in the playoffs.

Uh.... the dude's already won a SB.

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I'm not saying these decisions are easy.   But, as we see with other positions, sometimes you just have to decide to move on to your future, instead of overcommitting to try to relive the past.   

It's interesting that Ted Thompson, the Packers' former GM, when faced with an aging HOF QB and a first-round pick on the bench, made exactly the opposite decision.  It took courage to say to Favre and the fans that one era was ending and an unknown new era was beginning.   Current GM didn't have that courage. 

They saw what they had in Rodgers.

They see what they have in Love.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

But they have their future QB on the roster already...😉

Love must have scared the daylights out of GB's management between his practices & in game experience.  They're lucky they didn't get rid of Rodgers.  When Favre kept them hanging, they said go away and went with Rodgers.  Obviously young Rodgers showed a lot more than young Love. 😀 

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

As I stated above, I don't think it's courage-I think Rodgers showed a lot more when Favre was there than Love has shown with Rodgers there.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Cooper and Robinson alone make it a good crop of FA WRs and the draft is once again very strong too. 

My point is more heading into FA there were farrrr more options that a lot of teams were eying. I would love Robinson but we can't afford him. Cooper is a bit older now but still very good. But teams that want to upgrade WR room will be in far more battles now that things are tightening a bit.

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

All Jordan ever was - was a safety net.  The Pack protected themselves and now in a bad QB draft year - they can work to trade him to a QB needy team. 

They lose a bit of capital, but it protected them in case this played out different.  In a deep WR class - this might get them another potential WR to help.

This is the perfect year to try and trade Love - lots of open jobs and few viable legitimate options.

As for the Bills - so glad we got Allen in before this off season. This deal should drive up Carr, Cousin, and Stafford and by extension - Lamar, Mayfield, Burrow, and Murray.

🎉

11 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

$50M a year to get drama every year about wanting a trade to another team/mulling retirement, along with going no further than the NFC championship game…bad decision by the Packers!

Meh... he's one of the greatest QBs in history coming off an MVP season. You don't let that guy walk simply because he's been tough to negotiate with.

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

My point is more heading into FA there were farrrr more options that a lot of teams were eying. I would love Robinson but we can't afford him. Cooper is a bit older now but still very good. But teams that want to upgrade WR room will be in far more battles now that things are tightening a bit.

I hear ya but I doubt NFL teams actually expected these guys to hit the market. It’s been known for awhile now that Godwin wasn’t going anywhere for example. Adams almost certainly wouldn’t have been let go either. Teams knew Robinson was probably going to be the top guy available and that Cooper might be available. 

Just now, DCOrange said:

I hear ya but I doubt NFL teams actually expected these guys to hit the market. It’s been known for awhile now that Godwin wasn’t going anywhere for example. Adams almost certainly wouldn’t have been let go either. Teams knew Robinson was probably going to be the top guy available and that Cooper might be available. 

I agree. I wonder if we let Beasley go if Kirk even is an option as he is a pretty good talent himself and if we would get priced out. I know we have been spoiled with two years of really good WR's, but I would do everything in my power to have a truly superb WR1/2/3 group, WR4/5 I am fine with projects or vets with upside.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.