Walter Football Mock with the Hot Take on our MLB

Richard Noggin

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

IMO they refuse to invest in one great player and instead spread the wealth on average to above average ex Panthers due to the rotational nonsense… it kills the ROI with respect to the defensive line. 

Yeah.......nickel and diming the salary cap to create a balanced roster seems to have become the way.

The Danielle Hunter thread was just bumped...........and it reminded me that the Chiefs have taken chances acquiring big contract stars like Watkins, Matthieu, Frank Clark, Orlando Brown and Joe Thuney.    Then they have trusted their personnel department to fill in the gaps in the draft or bargain free agents.

While they surely haven't gotten their money's worth individually.........neither have the Bills, if we are being honest............and the KC approach has gotten them to 4 straight AFC title games and 2 SB's.

People will point to the Diggs acquisition to show that the Bills have taken a chance like that...........but it wasn't too much of a risk because Diggs was already under a long term contract.

IMO,  we need to see less of the over-pays to keep depth or lesser valued positions and it's probably time for Buffalo to take their swing at it.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The Bills have poured resources into our DL.  High draft pick after high draft pick and highly paid vet after highly paid vet.  How much better do you think it is going to get?  At some point you might want to ask yourself why it is always everyone else’s fault that Edmunds isn’t performing better.  Then ask yourself why he isn’t making anyone else around him better.

Edmunds and Milano make the secondary better

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with everything you say

And yet, we've had one of the most expensive DLs in the league the last several years - most expensive in 2019 and 2020 and 2nd most expensive in 2021

The ROI has been poor, but further - it begs the question, if our FO's judgement is to invest this massive expenditure with such poor RoI, what's the problem? 

Is it a scheme which is too complex and finicky where guys can't play free? 

Is it player personnel evaluation being poor on DL?  What?

Again, these are very fair points, but as to the DL, it's pretty clear that it's not performing as well as 1) other DLs around the league 2) as well as expected - both McDermott and Beane have indicated as much. 

Independent of Edmunds, it's a fair expectation that we should be able to have what other teams have, a better performing DL, and to ask if scheme or personnel evaluation is at fault

Agree, I think it's hard to say if the problem is player evaluation or development, for the DL.  Likely both contributing to the problem.  

I will be very concerned, if 2 years from now we are still having this conversation.  After investing 2 1sts and 2 2nds, in recent years.  Rousseau and Basham deserve more time, and I'm encouraged by Ed (just needs to maintain his 2nd half of season level), but this will be a big season for AJ.

Thankfully, we have most of the FA DL money issue behind us, except for Star.  Frustrating results, you bet, but now we have a mostly clean slate to work with. They have a chance to "retool", as they say, so this upcoming FA/draft will be very critical. 

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

Tell me which 3rd round pick is better or would be better in the defense we currently play. 

I’d take Logan Wilson (3rd rounder in 2020) over Edmunds.  Guy actually makes plays.  There’s 5-6 MLB’s expected to go in top 3 rounds this year.  In an ideal world, McBeane would flip Edmunds for a cheaper rookie and use that $12.7m towards an elite edge rusher.  

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Lol...Then the Bills have pretty low standards...🤣

In fairness...........Preston Brown lead the NFL in tackles in the McFrazier defense.

If a journeyman can do THAT.........then maybe it's OK to expect a bit more from Edmunds at the position.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again, these are very fair points, but as to the DL, it's pretty clear that it's not performing as well as 1) other DLs around the league 2) as well as expected - both McDermott and Beane have indicated as much. 

Independent of Edmunds, it's a fair expectation that we should be able to have what other teams have, a better performing DL, and to ask if scheme or personnel evaluation is at fault

I disagree on the DL.  IMO the DL is a solid unit.  Oliver is the closest thing we have to a difference maker - and he may well be on the cusp of that - but collectively they are a good unit.  They are not a liability.  IMO Edmunds is.  It’s not that he’s a worthless player like some here have said.  There are positives to his game, but the deficiencies in it are the problem - and they are the same ones that you can read on his draft profile.  LINK

Here are the first 6 weaknesses listed on his NFL.com profile:

- Instincts are average and relies on athletic gifts

- Can be a step slow to diagnose

Lured by misdirection

- Will take random downhill paths that trap him in the quagmire

- Patience is lacking

- Races ahead of plays and voids his leverage and run fits at times

He hasn’t grown in those regards and I’m long done believing that it will ever happen for him.  He is absolutely not worth the contract he is in line for.  

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Edmunds and Milano make the secondary better

I think you are half right

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d take Logan Wilson (3rd rounder in 2020) over Edmunds.  Guy actually makes plays.  There’s 5-6 MLB’s expected to go in top 3 rounds this year.  In an ideal world, McBeane would flip Edmunds for a cheaper rookie and use that $12.7m towards an elite edge rusher.  

Wilson is a good one I'll give you that but they're not growing quality MLB's on trees and there's certainly not many taken later than the first or second rounds.  As to whether he'd would have done anything any better than Edmunds behind our front 4 in the defense we typically play I'd have to say I doubt it.  His biggest addition if he was here would be his salary cap figure.  I'm not going to argue he's worth 13 million.  I'm just saying I don't think he's a bust and it's more complicated than just moving on from him.  They probably gave him the 5th year because we have so many young guys on rookie contracts that we have this year to hope some of them step up and we have a truly dominant defense this year.  If it doesn't happen than we start clearing the cap and retooling.  Hell even if the line does get better in front of him if they think they can draft to replace him that still might be better done next year as we get closer to making decisions on the younger DL players or trying to make a splash in the FA market for a pass rusher.

On 2/27/2022 at 3:03 PM, Maine-iac said:

Wilson is a good one I'll give you that but they're not growing quality MLB's on trees and there's certainly not many taken later than the first or second rounds.  As to whether he'd would have done anything any better than Edmunds behind our front 4 in the defense we typically play I'd have to say I doubt it.  His biggest addition if he was here would be his salary cap figure.  I'm not going to argue he's worth 13 million.  I'm just saying I don't think he's a bust and it's more complicated than just moving on from him.  They probably gave him the 5th year because we have so many young guys on rookie contracts that we have this year to hope some of them step up and we have a truly dominant defense this year.  If it doesn't happen than we start clearing the cap and retooling.  Hell even if the line does get better in front of him if they think they can draft to replace him that still might be better done next year as we get closer to making decisions on the younger DL players or trying to make a splash in the FA market for a pass rusher.

I don't know. If I could find a trade partner willing to take on that 12.7 for a 3rd round pick, I'd say it's time to move on. Hearing alot of good things from an "instinct" perspective on Nakobe Dean.  Realistically after his 5th season we're not re-signing Tremaine to a 14-15M/yr deal which is what he'll want. I agree besides Ed Oliver,  we need our front 4 to really step up. I don't know where it's going to come from?  But this argument that the front 4 has held TE back is highly unlikely. Read Tremaine's college scouting report and match it up with the deficiencies we seen these last couple years.  It's almost verbatim. 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Don't forget about Reggie Ragland! 

I left him out because I think Rex really thought he was just going to be able to use Ragnuts to stuff the run............nobody in their right mind ever thought he could be anything but a liability if forced into coverage responsibilities,  did they?   What a draft that was.   Off-the-bus starters! :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

Concentrated fire on the MLB when the Bills probably don't have a single DB who runs under a 4.55 or a DLineman who can get 10+ sacks 

He sucks. 

When was the last time saw Edmunds shed a block and drive.himself into the backfield for a TFL. 

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Im.very worried this is going to be Beane's biggest colossal mistake

It's only a colossal mistake if he pays him top 5 money. Mid first round pick that produced at least average starter level snaps for 5 years is not the worst that can happen.

If it is, you have done very well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DJB said:

He sucks. 

When was the last time saw Edmunds shed a block and drive.himself into the backfield for a TFL. 

He doesn't, but that seems besides the point, rather it's what people expect of him, what coaches expect of him, what an actual NFL MLB is capable of on elite, great, average, below average, poor tiers, and what he does. 

And also the fact that people seem to think he's the problem with whatever issues we have on defense, rather than a basic lack of speed, explosion and individual pass rushing

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

He is just doing PR *****, he sees exactly what we see and in reality he knows Edmunds isn't getting a new contract. 

you're going to be very disappointed this summer

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

14 minutes ago, appoo said:

you're going to be very disappointed this summer

Why would I be disappointed? 

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Edmunds would be better if he had a stronger DL in front of him

When you need to lift up everyone else to make a guy better than the guy isn't very good t begin with.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

When you need to lift up everyone else to make a guy better than the guy isn't very good t begin with.

His best year was his rookie year when he had Kyle Williams in front of him. Oliver is developing nicely but everyone else on the DL the last 3 years has been replaceable. How good would Ray Lewis be without Ngata? Well, probably still awesome but i do think you see some improvement adding some stout to the line

4 minutes ago, TBBills said:

When you need to lift up everyone else to make a guy better then he guy isn't very good t begin with.

Because he's going to end up with a long extension with an 8-9M cap hit

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

Guys, let’s simmer down a bit...Remember, Trumane is still the age of some rookies...

If the fact he is a two time pro bowler, captain of our number one ranked defense, and is statistically elite in so many ways doesn't stop the bashing then his age will not matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

If the fact he is a two time pro bowler, captain of our number one ranked defense, and is statistically elite in so many ways doesn't stop the bashing then his age will not matter. 

The one criticism I'll say is that he had one of his worst statistical years just now. He regressed slightly, but progress isn't linear

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.