Walter Football Mock with the Hot Take on our MLB

Richard Noggin

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I consistently criticize Harrison Phillips?   That's a lie.

In 2020 I said both Phillips and Butler played admirably at DT1T.    Oliver was also very good.

In 2021 Phillips and Oliver were both above average to very good at their jobs.

If Edmunds needs ELITE talent at DT to make ANY plays whatsoever then it's a much bigger problem than support in front of him.

I accounted for Edmunds best statistical year being 2018 as him not thinking as much..............right from the opening game when he had a strip sack in Baltimore he was better when he didn't know what he didn't know.

One of the DUMBEST f*cking notions ever is that Kyle Williams was good in run defense............he was simply a penetrator and pass rusher...........2021 Oliver was a much better all around player than KW was in 2018.    Statistically they may look about the same but KW wasn't capable of manning DT1T at f*cking all and was lousy in run defense.  

And 2021 Harrison Phillips was much better than 2018 Lotulelei.

This right here, IF Edmunds needs better than Oliver and Phillips at the end of this year you cant afford to have both. So extending him for the silly money  I think some bad GM will give him will ensure that you never have a DT that is so good he makes edmund worth it. 

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question: if "huge bust" or "bust" describes a player who has started consistently in an important role on a defense that's statistically good, but was drafted 16th overall and is not a star, how do you describe other players who were drafted in the 1st round and have not done as much?

Darron Lee

Charles Harris

etc

How do you describe other players who were drafted high in the first round and have started, but perhaps not been all that was hoped for contributions?

Devin Bush

Rashan Gary

etc

I think people get laser-focused on how our guys do or don't measure up to our expectations and lose perspective on how they compare to other players drafted in similar slots.  Not everyone who is drafted in the middle of the first round or above becomes a star.

I also think the term "bust" gets tossed around pretty freely to mean "any guy I wouldn't have drafted there" or "any guy who isn't producing the stats I think he should produce" vs. its original use, which was IMO to describe a guy who just couldn't play.

This topic has fascinated me for years.

Donte Whitner was nowhere near the worst player I have ever seen. Not even close, yet; he was one of the most stupid draft selections I have ever seen. He was not even close to being a #8. Safeties almost never go that early and he was even the #2 safety on the board, as well as being undersized. Other than getting lucky with Kyle Williams in round 5, the entire 2006 draft was nothing less than catastrophic for the Bills.

Now, would one call Donte a bust? Probably not? A bad player? No, but he was a terrible waste of a draft pick that totally set the team back for many years, considering who they passed up. The Edmunds pick didn't work out the way we wanted/expected but he was (imo) a better selection than Whitner. WAY better and they were both quite ill advised. Is Edmunds a bad player? No. Was he a bust? But again, he was a very dumb pick. Trading up for him did also  compound the stupidity of the pick. 

Now as far as Walter Football goes, there are probably 50, maybe even 100 or more posters on TSW that could come up with a better, more realistic mock. I have never claimed to be an "expert" on this board but I am pretty sure that I could come closer than those guys.

Look at their first 2 picks HBF. Thay have Jax NOT drafting a LT and Detroit drafting a WR at #2 (who probably won't be the first one taken). Really? Do you think that they  did this for click bait or do they really not know anything? 

https://walterfootball.com/draft2022.php

• Like (+1) 1

• Rigotz changed the title to What to do with Tremaine Edmunds? - Realistic Scenarios

For where he was drafted and his current contract, Edmunds is absolutely a bust.   He could surely be a serviceable LB somewhere in the league but that's it.   He's not worth more than $6-8 million a year with his current performance.  I'd prefer the Bills trade him for a more dominant and developed MLB instead of drafting another prospect.  

1 hour ago, BillsFanMike said:

Keep him. He's young and still has a high ceiling. 

He’s tall, he needs a high ceiling, 

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

A lot of people somehow missing the point here...

The existing poll and existing thread don't put any parameters on what a "trade" or "extension" mean.

So every thread has devolved into "HE SUCKS, DONT EXTEND HIM" or "TRADE 4 PICKS"

That's not what this thread is. It's a realistic hypothetical and plenty of people are answering, so enjoy it, or go cry somewhere else.

taint nothing worse than people bitchin about being told they have a duplicate thread

it’s the proper thing to do.  Ask the boss.  

Not to mention that this is prly the 100th get rid of him thread. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

taint nothing worse than people bitchin about being told they have a duplicate thread

it’s the proper thing to do.  Ask the boss.  

Not to mention that this is prly the 100th get rid of him thread. 

How do you do the thing where you share posts? That’s what I wanted to do with that other Edmunds opinion poll.

I've said all along there are two viable paths forward for Edmunds:

1) Trade him this offseason and possibly get as high as a 2nd round pick in return and/or a key veteran player at a position of need.

2)  Move him to OLB

Option 2 won't work in Buffalo because we aren't switching to a 3-4 and already committed to Milano which means he'd have to be traded to fit into that type of scheme and why option 1 is still most realistic.

What concerns me the most is that this regime is steadfast in their determination to keep their draft picks and justify players even when they have not panned out or in Edmunds case underwhelmed and proven to be an inconsistent player who simply isn't a difference maker even during his 'good' games.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No it's definitely not.

Fletcher made more plays AND a lot more tackles than Edmunds.

There were complaints about him not being undersized and not a great run stuffer...........but not about his instincts or ability to get off blocks and make plays.

People think Edmunds has lacked support from his DL...........what Fletcher got when he arrived in Buffalo was much worse.

Agree 100%. At this point, Edmunds is not even close to the player Flecther was. 

13 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

https://walterfootball.com/draft2022_1.php

This pick and blurb oughta get a rise out of folks. Dontcha think? Discuss. 

image.thumb.png.cad338be3c54fafc95fff6be272d4804.png

There's nothing false about this statement. Given where Edmunds was drafted (and fact we traded up for him too) he's been a bust and has been a major liability against the Chiefs and just about any team that can throw to the middle of the field.

Some folks will keeping touting his age and upside but NFL LB's don't magically arrive after 4 or 5 years in the league. It's probably the easiest position to transition from out of college which is why teams keep finding star players at the position in the mid to late rounds.

Best thing for both sides at this point is to move on while we can likely get good compensation in return and give Edmunds a chance to reach whatever potential he might have on a team and defense better suited for his ability which I still think is outside in a traditional 3-4 type of scheme.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, I think this is a good take.  He can play, but I don't think he's someone opposing OCs fear, and scheme around.  He gets his hands on a lot of passes, but he doesn't "seal the deal" with picks.  He makes tackles in the run game, but he doesn't seem to be regarded as a punisher.

I do think it's interesting that statistically, Edmunds best year was actually his rookie season, playing with Kyle Williams and a younger Star Lotulelei ahead of him and Zo Alexander next to him at times.

Belichek in a few games seems to have actively targeted Edmunds as he over pursues and often is out of position, Belichek also given RBs in particular plays that leave the RB with several paths and many with cutback options.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Lost said:

For where he was drafted and his current contract, Edmunds is absolutely a bust.   He could surely be a serviceable LB somewhere in the league but that's it.   He's not worth more than $6-8 million a year with his current performance.  I'd prefer the Bills trade him for a more dominant and developed MLB instead of drafting another prospect.  

This post is anything but "Lost." It's spot on and I agree 100%. My only concern is the Bill's do have some more pressing holes to fill. I see Edmunds as a "stop gap" LB. 

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.