Walter Football Mock with the Hot Take on our MLB

Richard Noggin

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Hes basically still a rookie...

Do you even KNOW how young he was when he was drafted? 

Let's tally up the talking points. (FTR, I would never call Edmunds a BUST, but I also would NOT endorse the team paying him even Matt Milano money for a 2nd contract.)

(Also, Walter Football LOL. The blurbs for many of these picks are baffling. Lots of references to 2019 stats, freshman year performances, and just observations in general that don't fully connect.)

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

Tremaine hasn’t been a “huge bust,” but he hasn’t been a difference maker either. His instincts are below average for a MLB, but his size and athleticism are elite. Put the two together and you get a slightly above average linebacker, though I couldn’t argue if someone else were to just call him “average.”
Despite being the defensive captain and getting everyone set on defense, his mental acuity and processing do him no favors. I don’t think he’ll ever be a defensive playmaker, a guy the opposing team absolutely fears and has to account for.

• Like (+1) 19
  • Agree 14

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

Tremaine hasn’t been a “huge bust,” but he hasn’t been a difference maker either. His instincts are below average for a MLB, but his size and athleticism are elite. Put the two together and you get a slightly above average linebacker, though I couldn’t argue if someone else were to just call him “average.”
Despite being the defensive captain and getting everyone set on defense, his mental acuity and processing do him no favors. I don’t think he’ll ever be a defensive playmaker, a guy the opposing team absolutely fears and has to account for.

I really like this take. A lot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know nothing about Nakobe Dean

"Walter Football" has historically been the creation of a high school (then college) dude named Walter Cherepinsky who likes football and has managed to turn it into a living.  Good for him, but think Cover1 (or some of the guys here) without the actual football knowledge.

And sheesh!  For a website someone is trying to make a living from, the formatting is abhominable.

I'd be surprised if

1) McDermott and Beane are happy with where Edmunds is as their MLB

2) McDermott and Beane regard him as a "huge bust"

Huge bust, to me, is when you get a guy who just can't play.  Aaron Maybin was a huge bust.  John McCargo was a huge bust.  Darron Lee is a huge bust.

Edmunds can play football, they were just hoping for Luke Kuechly  - a star - or maybe Lavonte David.  And that's not seeming likely.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 5

26 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yeah, I think this is a good take.  He can play, but I don't think he's someone opposing OCs fear, and scheme around.  He gets his hands on a lot of passes, but he doesn't "seal the deal" with picks.  He makes tackles in the run game, but he doesn't seem to be regarded as a punisher.

I do think it's interesting that statistically, Edmunds best year was actually his rookie season, playing with Kyle Williams and a younger Star Lotulelei ahead of him and Zo Alexander next to him at times.

• Like (+1) 2

You know how you go to Chiefs Planet and every post is "RAPE", "POOP", "KILL YOURSELF!!!"?

Those guys have more football knowledge than Walter football. 

With that said, if we get to 25 and Dean is still there, and a team offered us an early 2nd Rd pick or better for Edmunds, it would be a no brainer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Process said:

You know how you go to Chiefs Planet and every post is "RAPE", "POOP", "KILL YOURSELF!!!"?

With that said, if we get to 25 and Dean is still there, and a team offered us an early 2nd Rd pick or better for Edmunds, it would be a no brainer.

ChiefsPlanet is a forum dedicated to discussing the latest snuff films that just so happens to get interrupted with football talk.

• Haha (+1) 9

58 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

As others have said before, he’d probably be a better NFL player if he was just able to use his athleticism.  Perhaps an ILB or. OLB in a 3-4, or an edge rusher in a 4-3. 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Process said:

Would be crazy if a team did happen to trade for him and took a shot at moving him to OLB and he ends up tearing it up lol

16 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

As others have said before, he’d probably be a better NFL player if he was just able to use his athleticism.  Perhaps an ILB or. OLB in a 3-4, or an edge rusher in a 4-3. 

No way. He does NOT rush the passer well. Objectively and subjectively, this is as close as we can get to a football "fact." To date, Tremaine Edmunds lacks pass rushing ability. Anecdotally, who was the RB who absolutely stepped up and STONED Tremaine's blitz late in the season? It was such a notable play for me, as I've seen MANY other LBs fight through such A-gap blocks or even run OVER such blocks (ahem, Matt Brieda), including our own Matt Milano. 

(Such a notable play that I can't locate the specifics right now, of course.)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

22 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

No way. He does NOT rush the passer well. Objectively and subjectively, this is as close as we can get to a football "fact." To date, Tremaine Edmunds lacks pass rushing ability. Anecdotally, who was the RB who absolutely stepped up and STONED Tremaine's blitz late in the season? It was such a notable play for me, as I've seen MANY other LBs fight through such A-gap blocks or even run OVER such blocks (ahem, Matt Brieda), including our own Matt Milano. 

He had one against the Patriots in the second matchup where he had a full head of steam and a flat footed Damien Harris stood him up and absolutely stoned him. Never had seen anything like it myself. Thankfully Ed Oliver got the sack on the play, but Edmunds should’ve absolutely destroyed that RB, or at the very least, pushed him back into Jones.

EDIT: The play in question is actually the first play of the highlights. It was actually #25, Brandon Bolden not Harris. Edmunds stands 6’5” 250lbs, while Bolden is 5’11” 220lbs. 

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Yea his pressures per blitz rate are appalling (was moderately better in 2021 but over 2019 and 20 he was sent on 136 blitzes and had 1 QB hurry, that is unspeakably imeffective). If he can't rush the passer when they don't expect him to come not sure why he will suddenly be good at it if they do. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

He struggles to get off blocks and is a poor blitzer. OLB in a 34 or edge in a 43 would be much much worse than he is now. 

• Agree 1

The thing about Edmunds is nothing is flashy, he hasn’t had the protection upfront that some of the great MLBs have had and his father was a Dolphin (sarcasm?)….lastly, I think there’s a perception he has his eye on the door and doesn’t have the Buffalo of bust attitude Tre and Josh have.

but he’s been solid in his role

• Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

Edmunds isn’t a bust and Dean will likely not be there at 25.  If Dean is available somehow at 25 then yeah go for it.  And the earlier take on Edmunds is spot on.  In fact I’d take it a step further and say that good OCs game plan to take advantage of his weaknesses in the run game especially his tendency to get out of position opening run lanes up the middle. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guys just don’t get quicker at reading things. Those are the types of things you have or you don’t have. If he was in his 2nd year and he was flying around making the right read quickly and just missing the tackle or the pass I could say he has a great chance of getting better.

He lacks that. He’ll never and yes I mean never be an elite LB despite how young he still is. People always say well that’s not his job in this defenses. His job is to take away the middle of the field and disrupt the pass game. We’ll lowest amount of PDs this year and 1 INT where a backup QB drilled it in his chest. They need to find his replacement. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I think Edmunds and Milano are perfect for a base nickel defense.   Keep everything in front of you, deny the big play, run the width of the field, force all passes to the middle, do not attack , make them go the length of the field if they can.   Drive fans crazy bc no splash plays.   Then fans get pissed at the players, but it's the "boring" (from a watchers perspective) scheme they should be pissed at.   Only KC, Brady and Rams (superior talent, O schemes) have really been able to (barely) beat it.  There is no "middle linebacker" in this defense.  It's a total team defense scheme, everyone does their part and it works.  No one player is asked to dominate, quite the opposite.   

What this means is Edmunds doesn't get top LB $$, as he is not asked to be a dominator, just a piece of the puzzle on D.  So there's that benefit.  His agent will be just as pissed as fans are, bc the defensive scheme appears to limit what Edmunds is asked to do by design. 

Edited by ProcessTruster
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Not really since it's true... Edmunds most of the time doesn't see the play until it's too late.

I agree. Edmunds is a sub par to at best average LB. Over the years, I can remember only a handful of games where he's actually impacted the defense in a positive way. After a Bills game, how many times have you said wow Edmunds had a really good game? Not many for me. Mostly, he's non existent, misses his gap, never pressures the QB, and cannot shed a blocker to save his life. Perhaps, this is being a little too harsh. The term " bust" is relative and subject to interpretation. What's clear in my eyes is that Edmunds has under preformed, not even remotely close to being a game changer, is more of a liability than an assest, and definitely not worth the money he's getting. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing Edmunds go. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, CoudyBills said:

Young, I don't know how many times I gotta say it.  He's still young folks.

The issue is his awareness or instincts haven't gotten any better. He still is easily moved around in coverage by decent QBs. His feel for coverage has gotten worse. He's been in the league for what, 4 seasons? He's a vested veteran. He should be showing some improvement by now. He's not. 

8 hours ago, Process said:

No one is giving an early second for Edmonds. 

9 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Giving up a passer rating of over 100 two seasons in a row is not even average 

Edmunds has not risen to the occasion in big games and is frequently caught out of position.  

It is obvious to me that the Bills defense could use an upgrade at MLB.  Whether it is this guy, who knows.  

The off season will be revealing as to if the Bills think this is a position of need.  

To beat the best, I believe it is, but star MLBs do not grow on trees. 

Edited by jethro_tull
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I think Edmunds and Milano are perfect for a base nickel defense.   Keep everything in front of you, deny the big play, run the width of the field, force all passes to the middle, do not attack , make them go the length of the field if they can.   Drive fans crazy bc no splash plays.   Then fans get pissed at the players, but it's the "boring" (from a watchers perspective) scheme they should be pissed at.   Only KC, Brady and Rams (superior talent, O schemes) have really been able to (barely) beat it.  There is no "middle linebacker" in this defense.  It's a total team defense scheme, everyone does their part and it works.  No one player is asked to dominate, quite the opposite.   

What this means is Edmunds doesn't get top LB $$, as he is not asked to be a dominator, just a piece of the puzzle on D.  So there's that benefit.  His agent will be just as pissed as fans are, bc the defensive scheme appears to limit what Edmunds is asked to do by design. 

If what you say is true then why do you trade up and give away draft picks to pick Edmunds. If what you say is true then there is no reason to extend him and just about any player can do what he does. Who cares who calls the defense. Any player can do that.

Lastly if what you say is accurate, then I would counter Edmunds doesn’t do his part. He doesn’t defend the run where he is supposed to. Many of the rest of the players make plays in this boring defense. Edmunds does not. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

But I thought the Bills DT's were a liability...........so Edmunds couldn't make plays in run defense?

The issue with Edmunds is simple...........he plays a position in a system that is designed to put him around the ball A LOT..............and he doesn't make the kind of plays that turn games.........passes defensed, TFL, sacks, QB hits, pressures, FF, FR, INT.

The reasons are

1. A lack of in-game instincts or mental acuity.........he generally achieves the minimum result on every play he does make.

2. An inability to get off of blocks...........which turns him into a tumbleweed on screen plays and leads to him being maybe the worst blitzing LB in the entire NFL(no exaggeration.......he went like 140 blitz attempts with 1 pressure in 2019-2020).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.