Walter Football Mock with the Hot Take on our MLB

Richard Noggin

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The problem is that it when people use hyperbole like "bust" to describe something much more nuanced it opens up the floor to the chicken heads to start clucking about how everyone hates said player.

Some may not forgive that player for only being an average player overall............but the legitimate criticism of Edmunds is just that.

He's basically at the level of scrutiny here that has generally been reserved for QB's like Tyrod Taylor and Ryan Fitzpatrick.............who were often over-defended because their apologists were worried about the alternative more than the actual belief that they were much better than their critics said they were.  

No, I look at team performance plus his negative impact to determine if he's a liability and should be replaced. I don't see the negative impact you do. What we're missing with Edmunds is the positive impact. He doesn't make a difference on film. 

For the most part he's doing his job of filling his gap and covering his zone. We would know if he wasn't, and it's pretty glaring when he doesn't. But it doesn't happen often.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

SMDH.  Look, if Edmunds is absolutely a bust, and at best a servicable linebacker, why on earth would any other team trade him for a "more dominant and developed linebacker"?   If he's a bust, we'd be trading him for a low pick and needing to trade high value resources for a "more dominant and developed" LB.

So you're saying Edmunds is worth $12 million per year?   

This is my opinion, but aside from corner, MLB is our most pressing need on D.   I'm good with drafting a CB.  I'm good with drafting OL.  Playing ILB in our defensive scheme is a lot more challenging and having someone who already is a proven playmaker and has experience is a huge bonus especially since most of our defensive draft picks in recent years haven't lived up to expectations.    So yeah, I'm cool with trading Edmunds for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, picking up a mid tier UFA who will sign for less to replace him and perform better.   It's quite possible other teams might over value him anyway just due to his athletic ability.  

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No, I look at team performance plus his negative impact to determine if he's a liability and should be replaced. I don't see the negative impact you do. What we're missing with Edmunds is the positive impact. He doesn't make a difference on film. 

For the most part he's doing his job of filling his gap and covering his zone. We would know if he wasn't, and it's pretty glaring when he doesn't. But it doesn't happen often.

Things a player CAN'T and DOESN'T do can also be a negative.

2016 Bills offense under Tyrod Taylor thru 15 games(prior to his benching) was 7th in the NFL in scoring.......1st in the NFL in plays over 20 yards(big plays) and 1st in rushing(both for the second consecutive season)..........and had turned the ball over fewer times than any team in the SB era.

Statistically the best offense the Bills had fielded since 1991.

It wasn't the mistakes with Taylor.........it was the lack of plays he made as a pocket passer.

The lack of plays made is the issue with Edmunds...........you can play excellent defense AROUND Edmunds the same way that you could play excellent offense AROUND Taylor...................but if you need him to be a difference maker you are SOL...........and that's not what you draft a guy in the middle of round 1 to be.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

2016 Bills offense under Tyrod Taylor thru 15 games(prior to his benching) was 7th in the NFL in scoring.......1st in the NFL in plays over 20 yards(big plays) and 1st in rushing(both for the second consecutive season)..........and had turned the ball over fewer times than any team in the SB era.

It wasn't the mistakes with Taylor.........it was the lack of plays he made as a pocket passer.

The lack of plays made is the issue with Edmunds...........you can play excellent defense AROUND Edmunds the same way that you could play excellent offense AROUND Taylor...................but if you need him to be a difference maker you are SOL...........and that's not what you draft a guy in the middle of round 1 to be.

It's not the same because you're talking about a top defense the majority of Edmunds career. 

Defense has finished 1, 14, 2, and 3. Edmunds has played nearly 100% of the snaps. By far the most of any LB/DL on the Bills since entering the league.

Had Tyrod Taylor's offense had that production he'd still be a starting QB. By the way that's such an odd comparison.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's not the same because you're talking about a top defense the majority of Edmunds career. 

Defense has finished 1, 14, 2, and 3. Edmunds has played nearly 100% of the snaps. By far the most of any LB/DL on the Bills since entering the league.

Had Tyrod Taylor's offense had that production he'd still be a starting QB. By the way that's such an odd comparison.

It's a great comparison actually.

What you are dazed and confused about is thinking that the positions are of equal importance/impact on the success of their respective units.

They are not............you aren't going to have a multi-year top 1-2 ranked offensive yardage unit without a dynamic, superstar QB.

You don't need a star MLB to field a top ranked yardage defense.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's mostly playing space rather than chasing guys around. 

I think the biggest issue I have with Edmunds is he's basically the same player he was 3 years ago. There isn't much growth, which is disappointing due to the fact he's been in the same system his whole career.

But again I don't see him as a liability. He's a dependable player, only missed a couple games I believe. Always on the field. In our defense having a dependable Mike is huge because we play mostly nickle.

So basically he’s Kelvin Sheppard, but with better hair...😉

16 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Tremaine hasn’t been a “huge bust,” but he hasn’t been a difference maker either. His instincts are below average for a MLB, but his size and athleticism are elite. Put the two together and you get a slightly above average linebacker, though I couldn’t argue if someone else were to just call him “average.”
Despite being the defensive captain and getting everyone set on defense, his mental acuity and processing do him no favors. I don’t think he’ll ever be a defensive playmaker, a guy the opposing team absolutely fears and has to account for.

So using your terms , instincts below average, hasn’t been a difference maker , slightly above average, wouldn’t argue if someone called him average , his mental acuity and processing do him no favors. , I don’t think he’ll ever be a defensive playmaker, not a guy opposing teams have to account for. Those are YOUR words !   Take away the name and by any other means ,a 1 st round 16 th pick whi was traded up for and now entering his 5 th year and the club has yet to exercise a new contract or options , and to me that’s about as close to the definition of a bust as one can come.  Plus he is stiff and not all that athletic compared to other LBs who are difference  makers and what’s the argument that all thise deficiencies make him GOod?  Haha, you have just pointed out what a bust is , and while maybe not as bad as ford as a bust , his play is not impactful and we get torched in the middle all the time. Many sites have him ranked 32 nd amine inside LBs.  

For a first round draft pick who we spent two picks to acquire, usuing your own words, this guy is a bust as he is used. If all you expect is below average play from your first round picks In their  5 th year , then the bar you set is lower than any other club I have read about. He comes up small in big games.  Look up how many ints, how many career PBUs he has as such a fast athletic body supposedly and he is a consummate underperformer.  Call me the next time he makes a game winning play. Nice guy, no instincts, plays soft 95% of the time. Why people keep apologizing for this guy amazes me. He’s young but is a vet of the nfl. By now he is what he is. There may be worse LBs , but no one can argue in good faith this is all you expected drafting him that high. We can’t  do worse drafting and allowing someone to compete with him. It’s delusional to think he is a. Impact Lb. Read your own words and let them sink in and be honest , you actually believe no one could do better if drafted and given 4 years to develop?  I would try as it’s hard to believe we coukd do any worse. He is , as you state , below average and feared by no one !  Facts are facts. 

51 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Walter lives in his moms basement and is nothing special. 

tremaine is a good, not great, linebacker 

2021 All Pro MLB DeVondre Campbell is a free agent and is projected to get just a 2 year deal in the $6M-$9M aav range.

Tremaine's cap figure is $12.7M.

With Tremaine.......less is A LOT more..........but that's what can happen when you draft an off-ball LB in round 1 and they don't turn into a star player...........5th year options punish you if you don't use your #1 on the actual big money positions.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

So using your terms , instincts below average, hasn’t been a difference maker , slightly above average, wouldn’t argue if someone called him average , his mental acuity and processing do him no favors. , I don’t think he’ll ever be a defensive playmaker, not a guy opposing teams have to account for. Those are YOUR words !   Take away the name and by any other means ,a 1 st round 16 th pick whi was traded up for and now entering his 5 th year and the club has yet to exercise a new contract or options , and to me that’s about as close to the definition of a bust as one can come.  Plus he is stiff and not all that athletic compared to other LBs who are difference  makers and what’s the argument that all thise deficiencies make him GOod?  Haha, you have just pointed out what a bust is , and while maybe not as bad as ford as a bust , his play is not impactful and we get torched in the middle all the time. Many sites have him ranked 32 nd amine inside LBs.  

For a first round draft pick who we spent two picks to acquire, usuing your own words, this guy is a bust as he is used. If all you expect is below average play from your first round picks In their  5 th year , then the bar you set is lower than any other club I have read about. He comes up small in big games.  Look up how many ints, how many career PBUs he has as such a fast athletic body supposedly and he is a consummate underperformer.  Call me the next time he makes a game winning play. Nice guy, no instincts, plays soft 95% of the time. Why people keep apologizing for this guy amazes me. He’s young but is a vet of the nfl. By now he is what he is. There may be worse LBs , but no one can argue in good faith this is all you expected drafting him that high. We can’t  do worse drafting and allowing someone to compete with him. It’s delusional to think he is a. Impact Lb. Read your own words and let them sink in and be honest , you actually believe no one could do better if drafted and given 4 years to develop?  I would try as it’s hard to believe we coukd do any worse. He is , as you state , below average and feared by no one !  Facts are facts. 

This sounds pretty angry 😂 Did Edmunds take your Christmas toys or something? 

I said he wasn’t a “huge bust,” correct. And I still feel that way even after having read the vitriol in your post. I don’t know where, how, or why you came to the conclusion after reading my post that I’m an Edmunds apologist.

Who thinks he’s an impact LB?? I know a few on this board believe that but certainly not me! I’ve said time and time again I’d like to move on from Edmunds, not because he flat out sucks, but because I’m sure the dollar value of his contract having made 2 pro bowls will be overvalued and I want no part of that. Beane’s actions going forward will tell me about him as a GM more so than any other move. Im curious to see what he does with Edmunds and if I was in his place, I’d be feverishly working the phones seeking a trade from some other team who overvalues him. 

As far as your assertion that Edmunds is “not all that athletic compared to other LBs,” the numbers prove that’s a lie. He had a 9.7 relative athletic score which isn’t too far away from Micah Parson’s 9.78. Now, one of those players maximizes his athletic potential because he’s also equipped with the instincts that enables him to play fast. The other does not, consistently, and is why I called him a slightly above average to average MLB.

Just because he hasn’t lived up to the lofty expectations of a 16th overall pick in the NFL Draft does not make him a bust.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Agree 2

From my perspective, he is certainly not on the same tier as the likes of Darius Leonard and Fred Warner (his two closest comps).  He could still get there, but each passing year looks unlikely.  That's all to say, he is still a very good player, and certainly not a bust. 

If we'd release him, more than half the league would be reconsidering their MLB situation and putting an offer out for him. 

Where it gets tricky is his contract vs potential (he is still young), and the fact our front four is just average to below average (IMO).   $12-16m per year seems in the range, looking at other MLB contracts (Blake Martinez, Joe Shobert each above 10m per), Dion Jones at $14m per.  Leonhard and Warner at $19m per.

If we had an above average to very good front four, I truly think he'd make alot more impactful plays.  We generate zero pass rush without blitzing and have been just OK, at the DT position (Ed is fine, our 1 DT has been bad the past 2 years...Harry to me is not the answer).  Not physical in the front 4, and that's what Indy and SF have, certainly helps Darius and Fred.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agree and that's why many think the "bust" label is accurate. The term is relative and ambiguous in how it's interpreted. Kind of like the legal term " probable cause." 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Walter lives in his moms basement and is nothing special. 

tremaine is a good, not great, linebacker 

What makes you think he is good? What does he do well? Anyone? Shed blocks? Coverage tight ends? Rush the passer? Tackle running backs? Contain gap control? Rush the passer? Get ints and fumbles? Make big plays? This year I watched every game and 75% of the games I'm not sure I heard his name called. Forget he was on the field. You think you would see and hear from your LB often.  Maybe I'm missing something...

15 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

From my perspective, he is certainly not on the same tier as the likes of Darius Leonard and Fred Warner (his two closest comps).  He could still get there, but each passing year looks unlikely.  That's all to say, he is still a very good player, and certainly not a bust. 

If we'd release him, more than half the league would be reconsidering their MLB situation and putting an offer out for him. 

Where it gets tricky is his contract vs potential (he is still young), and the fact our front four is just average to below average (IMO).   $12-16m per year seems in the range, looking at other MLB contracts (Blake Martinez, Joe Shobert each above 10m per), Dion Jones at $14m per.  Leonhard and Warner at $19m per.

If we had an above average to very good front four, I truly think he'd make alot more impactful plays.  We generate zero pass rush without blitzing and have been just OK, at the DT position (Ed is fine, our 1 DT has been bad the past 2 years...Harry to me is not the answer).  Not physical in the front 4, and that's what Indy and SF have, certainly helps Darius and Fred.

This feels like a 30 for 30, “what if I told you…?”

So here’s mine - what if I told you that according to ESPN, the Bills DL finished 6th in pass rush win rate?

55 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Great breakdown and post! I agree 100%. 

6 hours ago, Lost said:

For where he was drafted and his current contract, Edmunds is absolutely a bust.   He could surely be a serviceable LB somewhere in the league but that's it.   He's not worth more than $6-8 million a year with his current performance.  I'd prefer the Bills trade him for a more dominant and developed MLB instead of drafting another prospect.  

Is he living up to the 16th overall pick?  Flat out no.  At this point nobody can deny it.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lost said:

So you're saying Edmunds is worth $12 million per year?   

How on earth did you get that from what I wrote?

What I'm saying is "if Edmunds is absolutely a bust, and at best a servicable linebacker, why on earth would any other team trade him for a "more dominant and developed linebacker"?   If he's a bust, we'd be trading him for a low pick and needing to trade high value resources for a "more dominant and developed" LB."

Edmunds has $12M of fully guaranteed salary for next year.  If you think he's a bust, why on earth would another team take that on, even if all they give us in return is a bag of peanuts?

3 hours ago, Lost said:

So yeah, I'm cool with trading Edmunds for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, picking up a mid tier UFA who will sign for less to replace him and perform better.   It's quite possible other teams might over value him anyway just due to his athletic ability.  

Again, LOL.  You think he's a bust, so other teams will line up to take on his $12M salary AND give us a 2nd or 3rd round pick, on a 1 year rental.

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know nothing about Nakobe Dean

"Walter Football" has historically been the creation of a high school (then college) dude named Walter Cherepinsky who likes football and has managed to turn it into a living.  Good for him, but think Cover1 (or some of the guys here) without the actual football knowledge.

And sheesh!  For a website someone is trying to make a living from, the formatting is abhominable.

I'd be surprised if

1) McDermott and Beane are happy with where Edmunds is as their MLB

2) McDermott and Beane regard him as a "huge bust"

Huge bust, to me, is when you get a guy who just can't play.  Aaron Maybin was a huge bust.  John McCargo was a huge bust.  Darron Lee is a huge bust.

Edmunds can play football, they were just hoping for Luke Kuechly  - a star - or maybe Lavonte David.  And that's not seeming likely.

I agree with most of this.  My only note would be that I suspect Beane and McD might feel a little better about Edmunds play than a lot of the fan base does.  I don't know if they like him enough to do what it takes to keep him or not, but Edmunds is better at his job than he gets credit for around here.  A lot of what people don't like about Edmunds play is in how he is used a lot in our defense.  Its one of the reasons I was hoping Frazier would get a HC job so we can see how another DC might be able to get our of Edmunds this next season.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree with most of this.  My only note would be that I suspect Beane and McD might feel a little better about Edmunds play than a lot of the fan base does.  I don't know if they like him enough to do what it takes to keep him or not, but Edmunds is better at his job than he gets credit for around here.  A lot of what people don't like about Edmunds play is in how he is used a lot in our defense.  Its one of the reasons I was hoping Frazier would get a HC job so we can see how another DC might be able to get our of Edmunds this next season.  

I would put it they feel a lot better about Edmunds play, or they wouldn’t have picked up his fully guaranteed $12m option

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know nothing about Nakobe Dean

"Walter Football" has historically been the creation of a high school (then college) dude named Walter Cherepinsky who likes football and has managed to turn it into a living.  Good for him, but think Cover1 (or some of the guys here) without the actual football knowledge.

And sheesh!  For a website someone is trying to make a living from, the formatting is abhominable.

I'd be surprised if

1) McDermott and Beane are happy with where Edmunds is as their MLB

2) McDermott and Beane regard him as a "huge bust"

Huge bust, to me, is when you get a guy who just can't play.  Aaron Maybin was a huge bust.  John McCargo was a huge bust.  Darron Lee is a huge bust.

Edmunds can play football, they were just hoping for Luke Kuechly  - a star - or maybe Lavonte David.  And that's not seeming likely.

and we traded up for Edmunds.  A bust given what we invested.  Not a bust player (an average type guy), but a FO bust.  

that said, if a true difference maker is available I’d draft him.  BPA all day anywhere but QB

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's a great comparison actually.

What you are dazed and confused about is thinking that the positions are of equal importance/impact on the success of their respective units.

They are not............you aren't going to have a multi-year top 1-2 ranked offensive yardage unit without a dynamic, superstar QB.

You don't need a star MLB to field a top ranked yardage defense.

That's why the comparison makes no sense, they're aren't equally important positions. 

Also I'm not suggesting Edmunds is the reason for a top ranked defense. I'm saying I highly doubt we have had a top 3 defense in 3 of Edmunds' 4 years with Edmunds playing bad football. It's highly unlikely. 

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

So basically he’s Kelvin Sheppard, but with better hair...😉

Sheppard would fall on his face.

15 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

and we traded up for Edmunds.  A bust given what we invested.  Not a bust player (an average type guy), but a FO bust.  

that said, if a true difference maker is available I’d draft him.  BPA all day anywhere but QB

Is Oliver a true difference maker? 

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That's why the comparison makes no sense, they're aren't equally important positions. 

Also I'm not suggesting Edmunds is the reason for a top ranked defense. I'm saying I highly doubt we have had a top 3 defense in 3 of Edmunds' 4 years with Edmunds playing bad football. It's highly unlikely. 

nope, Oliver is more of an occasional difference maker who came on at the end of last year.  I’d say he is also a disappointment given where drafted for sure. 

The Bills #1 defense faced the lowest qbr group of qbs since QBR was invented in 2006.

The worst group of qbs faced by any team since 2006. Factor that into the Bills defensive stats and the #1 defense is more of an illusion.

The fact that the Bills supposedly had the best defense makes the unbelievably soft d at the end of the Chiefs game even more embarrassing and weak.

The numbers said #1 defense, my eyes told me different.

Bust?

There's a wide variance of meaning with that word. I would call Edmunds a disappointment. That said, there will be teams willing to pay him well. I believe the Bills will let him test the market and might even draft his replacement in April.

As for measuring his performance, in Jay Skurski's BN piece on Edmunds yesterday he wrote:

"If we define big plays as sacks, interceptions, forced fumbles or recoveries, passes defensed and tackles for loss, Edmunds combined to make just 12 such plays. Seven players on the defense had that many or more."

That's pretty damning for a guy who:

• we traded up for and drafted highly
  • is considered a freak athlete
  • plays a position that generally results in big plays and impressive stats

Look at it this way, only 3 of his defensive mates had fewer big plays in 2021.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The issue is his awareness or instincts haven't gotten any better. He still is easily moved around in coverage by decent QBs. His feel for coverage has gotten worse. He's been in the league for what, 4 seasons? He's a vested veteran. He should be showing some improvement by now. He's not. 

100% agree, I was being sarcastic.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The Bills #1 defense faced the lowest qbr group of qbs since QBR was invented in 2006.

The worst group of qbs faced by any team since 2006. Factor that into the Bills defensive stats and the #1 defense is more of an illusion.

The fact that the Bills supposedly had the best defense makes the unbelievably soft d at the end of the Chiefs game even more embarrassing and weak.

The numbers said #1 defense, my eyes told me different.

They definitely aren't a dominant defense, but they are a defense that knows their responsibilities very well.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Edmunds has had some bad games.......but he certainly hasn't been a bad player overall in his career.........it's ignorant to suggest that he has been.

He has simply evolved into just maybe the 15th best individual MLB/ILB in a 32 team league.........a middle of the road starter...........which is far from expectation when you use a mid-first round pick on a de-valued, mid-pay position like MLB.

Anytime you have a middle of the league starter.........like Edmunds is now and Taylor was then..........you are just treading water at that position.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Edmunds has had some bad games.......but he certainly hasn't been a bad player overall in his career.........it's ignorant to suggest that he has been.

He has simply evolved into just maybe the 15th best individual MLB/ILB in a 32 team league.........a middle of the road starter...........which is far from expectation when you use a mid-first round pick on a de-valued, mid-pay position like MLB.

Anytime you have a middle of the league starter.........like Edmunds is now and Taylor was then..........you are just treading water at that position.

But couldn't we say the same for Oliver? Oliver I feel has shown dominant play at times, unlike Edmunds, but I feel overall he's been average as well. 

We need these defensive draft picks to step up and become more than average, at least one of them. There are a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks in the front 7 that haven't developed into more than average.

17 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

How do you do the thing where you share posts? That’s what I wanted to do with that other Edmunds opinion poll.

there are numerous ways 

on my mobile there are 3 … 

click it then share 

CopyPaste the link 

or CopyPaste the thread title 

11 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

This feels like a 30 for 30, “what if I told you…?”

So here’s mine - what if I told you that according to ESPN, the Bills DL finished 6th in pass rush win rate?

And 1st in pressure rate per PFR.

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

But couldn't we say the same for Oliver? Oliver I feel has shown dominant play at times, unlike Edmunds, but I feel overall he's been average as well. 

This was a fair point across his first two years. A bit above average as a rookie, a bit below average year 2. Ed Oliver was excellent this past year. I think that is the difference. Edmunds best year was his sophomore year in 2019. He has been less effective in 2020 and 2021. Ed Oliver comes out of this past season definitely trending up. Now he has to back that up in 2022, sure, and if he doesn't we will be having a similar conversation about him in a year's time.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would put it they feel a lot better about Edmunds play, or they wouldn’t have picked up his fully guaranteed $12m option

So while I still suspect Beane and McDermott are higher than the fan base speaking for myself personally last year I was very much in the "Edmunds will be extended camp." I am much more on the fence now and it wouldn't shock me if the ogranisation is less sold than it was a year ago as well. 

If I was having a bet on whether he gets extedend, I'd still say that he would, but I am less sure than I was 12 months ago and I am even more uncertain that he should be.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We need these defensive draft picks to step up and become more than average, at least one of them. There are a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks in the front 7 that haven't developed into more than average.

Oliver dominated this year, don't know what you are talking about.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

nope, Oliver is more of an occasional difference maker who came on at the end of last year.  I’d say he is also a disappointment given where drafted for sure. 

The second half of 2021 he was a regular difference maker. Through three years has he been worth the #9 pick? No. But if he can sustain the form the second half of this past year for the entire 2022 season it will be a no brainer for me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/25/2022 at 1:16 AM, JayBaller10 said:

Tremaine hasn’t been a “huge bust,” but he hasn’t been a difference maker either. 

Quoted for truth.  Someone with his size and speed should be a disruptive force.  Sit back for a moment and picture all of the times Edmunds has met a RB, head on, in the hole at or behind the LOS.

While I don't see every game, one comes to mind.

I feel like I am arguing about Josh in 2019, people who think other players don't make mistakes. Edmunds is a two time pro bowler, a captain of the number one defense in NFL and the leading tackler on said defense. He is a top 10 middle linebacker in league and someone that is vital to our defense. We run a 4-2 front because him and Milano are great at what they do.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

And 1st in pressure rate per PFR.

This was a fair point across his first two years. A bit above average as a rookie, a bit below average year 2. Ed Oliver was excellent this past year. I think that is the difference. Edmunds best year was his sophomore year in 2019. He has been less effective in 2020 and 2021. Ed Oliver comes out of this past season definitely trending up. Now he has to back that up in 2022, sure, and if he doesn't we will be having a similar conversation about him in a year's time.

A difference maker? Occasionally. I definitely wouldn't call Oliver a difference maker. We've seen him do it, and yes he's trending up. 

I think some fans aren’t on the same page as to his role in the defense and why he is important. And that there is indeed a place between “bust” and “elite” that can contribute at a high level on a SB team. He’s not a traditional MLB and he doesn’t play the traditional MLB position in this defense. Warren calling him a “huge bust” simply shows his lack of knowledge of the player and scheme. Not every player drafted in the first round is a “bust” because they aren’t “elite” by age 23. 

not sure what or if they will pay Edmunds but it appears the viewpoint the team has is that he is valuable. WRT what he’s asked to do against the run and pass and communication in THIS defense, his value is very high even if *and i know this is difficult to comprehend for some * he doesn’t make (gasp) every play. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.