Sullivan: Bills' McDermott choked away Super Bowl-caliber season

QCity

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Allen’s prime doesn’t last another 8 years if they keep beating the snot out of him! There are only so many hits a QB can take and there are only so many hits a RB can take. Josh is being subjected to both.

They are not beating the snot out of him.  He is a very big guy and he will learn to slide more as he gets older.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Does Allen last a whole 15 years? When his mobility starts to go he loses his game, I fear. I don’t think he will have as long as a career as some of us think. I say maybe 8 more effective years unless he alters his game to be more of a pocket passer and less of a running threat 

No way.   He is one of the best throwers of the ball right now and will only get better with time.  And with time he'll run less and/or slide more.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Next season the Bills will probably split their close games...have more injuries...finish around 10-7 or 11-6, make the playoffs and who knows.

Or not?  Who the heck knows what happens next year?  Maybe they come out pissed off over how this season ends and run the table.  We don't even know who the staff or all the players will be yet, I mean... :beer:

I'd also remind everyone that well yeah, the Super Bowl door was wide the F open, that doesn't guarantee a victory. I sure as heck would have like to see what it means, but some are acting like - we lost this game and therefore our guaranteed SB victory.

• Agree 1

McD isn't a football tactician.  This was clear before Sunday, but it became tragically so in this game.  He's not a smart guy on game day.  This will always be a problem.

Jerry should get some Valtrex for the oral herpes and some teeth whitener for that head shot though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Did McD and the coaches choke, yes.

But that was all Reid was known for until his time with Mahomes. A coach can learn and adjust; McD has grown over time himself. I do hope McD takes the blame, after all he shouldn’t be fired for this and it would give further credence to his 1 out of 11 mantra. In this case the plus coaches area screwed up while trying to prevent Mahomes from going down the field. 

For all we know the defense just wasn’t sure how to cover Hill + Kelce in this unusual situation. It’s not exactly a common situation to have the opposing team have 3 TOs and two of the best targets in the game.

I have tried to figure out what the best plan for the defense would of been and end up slightly concerned regardless. If you run a traditional defense you run the risk of them going over the top with either of their major targets. If you rush less than 4, Mahomes likely has more time to wait and thus throw a longer pass. It honestly felt as if the Bills were hoping KC would kill their own clock by waiting for a long pass or by throwing multiple short ones. 

My suggestion would of been to rush 3 with  Rousseau, Oliver, and either Hughes or Phillips. Have 8 guys in coverage with 6 DBs and 2 LBs. Have Edmunds and Milano line up at the line against Kelce and Hill and bump them off the snap. Don’t hold since that isn’t allowed anymore but just give them a thump. After that have the other 6 DBs play a protective umbrella with the LBs “covering” the two big targets. The bump should kill 1 second more. By keeping an LB following the two main targets you are looking for more sure tacklers but also to merely force Mahomes to put a little more air under the pass. Essentially do everything you can to keep them throwing shortish but while trying to make them waste time by preventing “Go” routes. Hell, use Hill’s running ability against them by trying to give an illusion of space so he runs around a little.

Just now, Heitz said:

Or not?  Who the heck knows what happens next year?  Maybe they come out pissed off over how this season ends and run the table.  We don't even know who the staff or all the players will be yet, I mean... :beer:

I'd also remind everyone that well yeah, the Super Bowl door was wide the F open, that doesn't guarantee a victory. I sure as heck would have like to see what it means, but some are acting like - we lost this game and therefore our guaranteed SB victory.

Wasn't that supposed to be the case this year after last season's KC loss?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Next season the Bills will probably split their close games...have more injuries...finish around 10-7 or 11-6,   make the playoffs and who knows..  The killer this year was they did the hard part.  They came back and beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead...er, except for 13 seconds.  That game was won.  Only the Bills staff could somehow scheme us to a loss.

Every season starts at 0-0 but the Bills offense is the real deal and with Allen running the offense for the foreseeable future they are in good shape.  While I worry about losing Daboll I also expect his work here developing Allen and defining an offense for him to run is finished.  Still a couple upgrades in the OL and a bruising power back to supplement Singletary is needed.  From a play calling standpoint really dialing back the designed QB runs will keep Allen healthy.  And he needs to start protecting himself going forward.

The defense is an illusion against play off caliber teams.  If we lost Frazier to a HC opportunity I would certainly wish him well but also welcome his exit.  And while some might disagree I think a good deal of their success is related to the high-powered nature of the offense.  Upgrades are needed at all three levels and I hope all the "old guys" on the defensive line are let go this off season.  We need play makers.  We need some cap space to do that but the good news is success will attract free agents that would have in the past just brushed off the idea of signing with the Bills.  What to do with Edmunds, a hot topic on the board, is a big question going into the off season. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

We cannot go back to the Ralph days and everything is great and no coaches lose there jobs.

I never said that. I simply refuse to patronize that button pusher because I know his m.o. There are more knowledgeable writers. There's a reason Jerry Sullivan is at the Niagara Gazette and not the Athletic.

And as for coaches losing jobs, you do that when you want to make an upgrade, not to appease a fan base.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’d say the majority of fans are slow playing it here. Acting like it’s a given that we will be back several times. I’m not sure where that silliness comes from. All your window does is shrink rapidly once you pay the QB. You have to cash in on one of these soon because you never know when you aren’t going back. I’m sick about Sunday because I’m not the guy that just “knows” we will be back. You have to enjoy the ride each time because it could be it at any time. We of all fan bases should understand that. Keep pissing away these chances and all of a sudden you wake up and you are the Phillip Rivers Chargers. We should have won the super bowl this year. That’s not something you get to say to often.

50 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Choke is the proper term.  There's simply no other word for the Bills defensive alignment.  When you add the fact that the Bills called a TIMEOUT BEFORE BOTH OF THE CHEFS PLAYS, the defensive calls become even more inexcusable.  Any one of us here would have understood that the sidelines were meaningless since the Chefs had three timeouts.  And don't you change after you give up 19 yards to Hill on the first pass?  It's not like you had time pressure, YOU CALLED A TIME OUT, presumably to talk it over, discuss the possibilities.  When I factor in the timeouts, the defensive alignment is even more inexplicable.  Travis Kelce outcoached both McD and Frazier.  Congratulations, well done.

Both posts above are 100% spot on. 

2 days later and my heart is still torn apart. I don't see the pain going away either until the new season starts at this rate. When KC wins the AFC next Sunday it will be a hard kick in the nuts all over again too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Fan boy '92 said:

Week 5 was was nice n all, but when the chips are down, how confident are you that McDermott will out coach the other guy?

I feel McDermott as a head coach embraces the "growth mindset" and "continuous improvement" he preaches and will never stop grinding until he does.

I see big improvement in how McD coaches from 2019 to now.

2 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Both posts above are 100% spot on. 

2 days later and my heart is still torn apart. I don't see the pain going away either until the new season starts at this rate. When KC wins the AFC next Sunday it will be a hard kick in the nuts all over again too.

What's worse? Losing a close one to the Super Bowl champs or a team that loses to the Bengals? I want the Chiefs to win it all now.

It doesn't matter what scheme you have for your defense, the players have to make the plays, simple as that! They were even if us as fans didn't believe it, the stats all season long were "We are the #1 ranked pass defense", all this money to Poyer/Hyde.... Where were they? Milano played like crap all game long, Why didn't he show up? We can blame the coaches and there is definitely blame there but at the end of the day anyone of those defenders need to blanket Kelce (Milano left him open 19 yards down field), cover Tyreek Hill like a blanket. I don't understand why it's almost 100 % on the coaching staff as far as blame goes. Make 2 friggin stops and you're onto the Bengals, should have been easy for the #1 pass defense!

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I never said that. I simply refuse to patronize that button pusher because I know his m.o. There are more knowledgeable writers. There's a reason Jerry Sullivan is at the Niagara Gazette and not the Athletic.

And as for coaches losing jobs, you do that when you want to make an upgrade, not to appease a fan base.

Anyone at the Athletic writing something contrary to what Sullivan just published?  What are the "more knowledgeable writers" writing?

4 hours ago, QCity said:

Even Jerry is throwing a tantrum. I know, I know, you're not going to click on it (you will). :rolleyes:

Jerry is right,  Sean and Frazier choked this game away.  Even a high school coach would never allow the straight free releases off the line with zero resistance.  Had we had a more competent HC this team is playing in the AFC title game.  There is no defending the poor decisions made at the end of that game with 13 secs left.  Only people doing that are also crying about losing the coin toss & OT rules.  9 out of 10 HC'S / coordinators finish off that game.  When you watch the replays of those two long pass plays and its hard to question if we're not at a huge disadvatange with the coaching on this team. Just another thing outsiders can laugh at.  

I feel the worse for Josh Allen because pundits are saying how Mahomes is still the top guy and the fact is Allen played better but the team that wins gets the coverage.  

As for the kick off,  if you watched Bass this season when he is trying to place kick it and cover inside the 20 he takes almost no run up to the ball. For that kick- off Bass took a run up and put it way through the end zone,  so I doubt he was told to squid or place kick it and just ignored his HC. It seems more probable that Sean decided to play it safe and avoid another Music city miracle.

End of the day there is not one person who can defend the type of defence they decided to employ on those final two passes with 13 secs left.  When you look at where they had players positioned it is a freaking joke and you have to question what the hell were they thinking.

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They are not beating the snot out of him.  He is a very big guy and he will learn to slide more as he gets older.

Try running full speed, having someone stick their shoulder into any part of your torso that you choose while they are running towards you, do a forward roll into a break fall and slide into some folding chairs ….. on your front lawn.

Get up an do it again….. And again

Have someone drop a three hundred pound side of beef on you as you fall down on your front lawn so it lands directly on top of you.

This “ Josh is big so he can’t get hurt” BS is BS. 
    Hits in football add up. That is a fact!!!! The more he takes the sooner he retires.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McDermott was asked today about the final 13 seconds and he said he wishes the execution was different.

I don't think he would say that if the players did what they were supposed to do. Someone messed up.

Hard to envision what the plan was seeing that much open space, though.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McDermott was asked today about the final 13 seconds and he said he wishes the execution was different.

I don't think he would say that if the players did what they were supposed to do. Someone messed up.

Maybe.  Still with all those TOs the D's intent should have been made clear to the players.  Still a bad look for him.

Speaking to a different issue, our DL rotation is designed to get pressures because pressures force incompletions and TOs.  This is solid thinking.  Bowles and TB showed that pressure works on Mahomes...IF you get him running BACKWARDS and IF you get a bunch of sacks too.  

Pressure that gets Mahomes running East-West isn't really pressure to him.  Elite QBs don't get inside their own heads until they're getting hit repeatedly.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What are you talking about? Allen has gotten better every year. Yeah we have to beat KC, but Allen's career wasted? What are you talking about? 

Allen's career is hardly wasted but a huge opportunity to win a Lombardi this year just went down the toilet thanks to stupid coaching. We have probably 12-15 more cracks at it. The question is will McD stop being an idiot in game day management?

• Like (+1) 1

Choke is a hard way of putting it.  The defense was gassed.  They play press, Hill very well could find a seem and that would have been a choke.  The year NE beat Kc same type of game.  New England won the toss and won that game too.  

How many people commenting on this post didn't even read the article because , "ooooh its bitter Jerry Sullivan" . If someone else had wrote it you would have at least read it and maybe agreed with its points but because its critical Jerry, the eternal pessimist, you skip it and criticize the messenger? I hate to tell you, he is right. Yes, its not anything stupendously original, his take is identical to what fans here said soon after the game on Sunday night. What I like about Sullivan is that he is one of the few media people who holds the franchise to account for its errors and says things that fans say. If anything we need more people like him to light a fire under these coaches and players.  Our media has too many people who sugarcoat their questions to coaches and are happy for the team to get their playoff participation medal. Jerry at least sticks his neck out there and asks some tough questions. The defense after the windy Pats game debacle should have been embarrassed by their efforts and I am glad that Jerry asked that question. Strange coincidence how they responded after that in the season.  On Sunday the Bills had 13 secs to force KC into the offseason and they blew it 100%. The special teams were ordered to do that stupid kickoff (if not then tell us McD , Whose decision was it?). Its simply non debatable that the defense that was called on those two plays with 13 seconds left was utterly moronic. You hadn't got to Mahomes ALL GAME but yet once again you rush 4? 4 exhausted lineman? who even at max speed at the start of the game would not get to Mahomes in time (especially not when he is forced to release the ball within 3-4 seconds). Why not rush 2 and clog up the passing lanes with more linebackers or DBs?  You don't at least have double teams on Kelce and Hill? You don't bump Kelce and Hill at the line? You don't take a holding penalty to eat clock? (and BTW I dont think the refs would have the cojones to call some intentional holding cheating penalty to put time back on there). Even in the OT you don't burn your timeout on their drive? why not? Had the Bills just conceded after they lost the coin toss?. What are you going to use those time outs for after the game? All of what happened in those 13 secs and after in OT just exemplified my worst fears about McD, which are that he is an excellent coach on many levels but some of his in game decisions show a lack of being able to think on his feet.  You would think that these end game scenarios are practiced over and over by NFL coaches so at least in that moment they DONT have to think under the pressure, they just know that in THIS particular situation you should do this particular defense in order to maximize your chances of success. That's what should have happened. Why didn't  Frazier and McD have multiple plans worked out for these late game scenarios before the game?? Instead we get some amateurish knee jerk vanilla prevent as if we were up by 4 PTS!! There simply isnt any excuse for losing like we did. The coaches should be putting players in their best position to WIN and on Sunday the coaches in the most crucial moments of the season, put a tired and hard working defensive team in the best position to FAIL. If it takes Jerry Sullivan and other media (who dont fear hurting the coaches and players feelings) and fans to call this out and force the team to get better then I welcome this 100%! 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Nice, so he throws his players under the bus instead…. They were clearly instructed to protect the sidelines otherwise Kelce wouldn’t have been running wide open in the middle of the field. 

A lot of times DE's are instructed to bump a TE to prevent a free release. Sometimes they don't follow instructions.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

OMG Just when I thought this week could not possibly get worse.  The Bills broke yet another record and forced me to agree with a Sully article.  FML.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Did you watch the other QB? Mahomes is THE guy right now. Allen will have to put up more amazing performances to finally beat that guy. 

Mahomes and Allen are both THE guys.  You literally could not have asked either to play a better game.  They were both as good as it gets.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

So, if we won the coin toss would everyone be saying that Andy Reid choked away that game and be calling for heads?  Didn't think so.

It was choked away in regulation.  No team should be able to get into FG range with only 13 seconds of play.  Thats is a coaching choke job.  The coin toss had nothing to do with it as it should have never gotten to the coin toss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’d say the majority of fans are slow playing it here. Acting like it’s a given that we will be back several times. I’m not sure where that silliness comes from. All your window does is shrink rapidly once you pay the QB. You have to cash in on one of these soon because you never know when you aren’t going back. I’m sick about Sunday because I’m not the guy that just “knows” we will be back. You have to enjoy the ride each time because it could be it at any time. We of all fan bases should understand that. Keep pissing away these chances and all of a sudden you wake up and you are the Phillip Rivers Chargers. We should have won the super bowl this year. That’s not something you get to say to often.

I agree.  I've been around a while and cringe when i see people matter-of-fact post "Allen will have a couple rings before it's all said and done".  I think it's a coping mechanism for some people.  That's just not how it works though.  He likely had one ring this year, but the game was horribly blown,...not his fault.  Mahomes might be wearing Josh's ring this year.  It hurts.  

The best thing the Bills can do is maintain continuity, and just keep kicking the can.  Even though people are pissed at McDermott right now, he is a respected coach in that locker-room.  We have a smart GM.  We have a franchise QB.  They will all learn from this, and even though cap restrictions will come into play and make things harder, they will keep reloading with some new guys and F/A vets.  Just maintain this continuity and give yourself a shot each season.  That's all we can do.  But 2021 was likely a ring lost, for sure.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Coach McD seems to be an experiential learner. This past experience will serve him and the team well from that standpoint. I look at how he has improved in areas like challenges. The old Coach McD would have challenged that fumble by the Chiefs, that was a fumble, in hopes of getting a better spot. 
Look at how Coach McD adjust from the first NE game and then the rest of the season. Coach was in better control of his emotions since that game. 

My concern for Coach McD is his ability to keep the team engaged and together. To this point his greatest accomplishment has been the culture change. He needs to improve his game day coaching. Right now he seems a lot like Marv Levy, perfect coach Monday-Saturday but struggled on Sunday in the biggest moments. 

A board of directors doesn't hire a new CEO to learn on the job.  They need that hire to come in on day 1 ready to go.  This narrative people advance about a coach learning incrementally in his 1st 5 seasons is merely lowering expectations for a slow on the draw HC not mentally sharpe enough in-game.  

I'm no longer Sullivan's biggest fan, and aside from the comment about Hyde and Poyer's speed relative to (I'm guessing) Tyreek Hill, the article was 100% fair questioning the HC's inability to manage games at the most crucial junctures.

If McD's biggest accomplishment is "changing the culture" that phase of the rebuild is over now.  The focus now is on supporting Josh and improving everything around the QB.  Anything less and they'll be right back to being susceptible to another McD brain freeze in the 2022 playoffs.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would argue that this wasn't a Superbowl season. Things fell into place to potentially get to the Superbowl and even win it, but the season itself was not Superbowl caliber when you lose to the Steelers and Jacksonville. It also isn't one when you can't beat the hot teams at that point in the schedule. All of that pointed to not quite enough to beat the Chiefs in a playoff game. Can't just do it with a QB and an offense.

Forget about old, bitter Jerry! Go re watch the broadcast as BOTH Nance & Romo called out the correct call BEFORE it did not happen- the Squib Kick!!!

Because they knew, sure as shite, as many, many posters here did, on the 2nd Half thread, that TIME was the Chiefs ONLY enemy that needed to be defeated.

“McDermott was asked today about the final 13 seconds and he said he wishes the execution was different.”

100%!

HIS!👎🏻

Edited by Billsatlastin2018

53 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Jerry is right,  Sean and Frazier choked this game away.  Even a high school coach would never allow the straight free releases off the line with zero resistance.  Had we had a more competent HC this team is playing in the AFC title game.  There is no defending the poor decisions made at the end of that game with 13 secs left.  Only people doing that are also crying about losing the coin toss & OT rules.  9 out of 10 HC'S / coordinators finish off that game.  When you watch the replays of those two long pass plays and its hard to question if we're not at a huge disadvatange with the coaching on this team. Just another thing outsiders can laugh at.  

I feel the worse for Josh Allen because pundits are saying how Mahomes is still the top guy and the fact is Allen played better but the team that wins gets the coverage.  

As for the kick off,  if you watched Bass this season when he is trying to place kick it and cover inside the 20 he takes almost no run up to the ball. For that kick- off Bass took a run up and put it way through the end zone,  so I doubt he was told to squid or place kick it and just ignored his HC. It seems more probable that Sean decided to play it safe and avoid another Music city miracle.

End of the day there is not one person who can defend the type of defence they decided to employ on those final two passes with 13 secs left.  When you look at where they had players positioned it is a freaking joke and you have to question what the hell were they thinking.

Shameful that McDermott didn’t fess up to ordering the deep kickoff…his post-game answer (“execution”) might lead one to believe that Bass screwed up.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, QCity said:

Even Jerry is throwing a tantrum. I know, I know, you're not going to click on it (you will). :rolleyes:

I'm not going to click it.

--------------------------------

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact ngedit@niagara-gazette.com or call (716) 282-2311.

--------------------------------

Ok, I clicked it.  Doesn't matter anyway.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Extremely fair and accurate accounting of the game, reflecting several key themes that have been ALL OVER this message board since the moment the game ended.

He has high praise of Allen, speaks of the folly of the current OT rule, and offers fair and accurate criticism of McDermott's playoff in-game management, which is not particularly strong.

He also correctly points out that the Pegulas will almost certainly not have any issues with McDermott...but perhaps someone should be asking if what McD brings to the table is enough to match Josh's promise.

I'm sure this won't stop an army of posters here from trashing Jerry and the column, despite never reading a word of it.

Such is the way of ignorance.

Sean is a great guy who has turned us into playoff team,  but is he another Marvin Lewis? If your happy just making the playoffs then fine but with now having a potential HOF QB on your team the goals need to be higher.  

I am very concerned,  losing that game the way we did just highlights the fact that he may not be a big game HC.  I like Sean and think he deserves another year.  I also think or at least I hope the Pegulas have outside consultants that advise them to ask Sean to replace Frazier.  I know he won't unless they ask him because he got fired himself by Andy Reid.  

I think everyone can agree were good on offensive side of the ball .   If we're going to improve we need to be better on the defensive side of the ball and not just putting up great stats against crappy teams.  

Everyone keeps asking how do we get better so we can beat KC,  my answer is upgrade the DC cordinator position. There are plenty of options available right now where we can upgrade the DC cordinator position.  It's been 3 straight years where out defence have given up leads in playoff games that resulted in losing games.  Even in our win late in the season against he Pats,  when you look closer if Josh Allen and our offence did not keep scoring on every possession the Pats could have easily tied that game late in the 4th because our defence could not get stops.  You need a defence to win a championship

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Shameful that McDermott didn’t fess up to ordering the deep kickoff…his post-game answer (“execution”) might lead one to believe that Bass screwed up.

Dude unless Bass is stupid  I am sure he knows the difference and when you watch the replay he takes a big run up to the ball.  Second year players don't usually ignore their HC and his intent was clearly to kick it through the end zone. Sounds more like Sean did not want to be questioned about his decision and talked about execution.  Execution is if he kicks it out of bounds and they get the ball at the 40

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What are you talking about? Allen has gotten better every year. Yeah we have to beat KC, but Allen's career wasted? What are you talking about? 

Green Bay wasted a large portion of Aaron Rodgers career.  Dan Marino has stated several times how he always thought he'd get another shot at winning a Super Bowl.  

After the playoff drought, no one should be taking this recent success for granted.  Nothing is promised in this league.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.