Sullivan: Bills' McDermott choked away Super Bowl-caliber season

QCity

Extremely fair and accurate accounting of the game, reflecting several key themes that have been ALL OVER this message board since the moment the game ended.

He has high praise of Allen, speaks of the folly of the current OT rule, and offers fair and accurate criticism of McDermott's playoff in-game management, which is not particularly strong.

He also correctly points out that the Pegulas will almost certainly not have any issues with McDermott...but perhaps someone should be asking if what McD brings to the table is enough to match Josh's promise.

I'm sure this won't stop an army of posters here from trashing Jerry and the column, despite never reading a word of it.

Such is the way of ignorance.

• Like (+1) 27
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, QCity said:

Even Jerry is throwing a tantrum. I know, I know, you're not going to click on it (you will). :rolleyes:

Sullivan: Bills' McDermott choked away Super Bowl-caliber season

Jerry is right.  Terry and Kim should say someone has to take the blame you or Frazier one has to go or both.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Jerry is right.  Terry and Kim should say someone has to take the blame you or Frazier one has to go or both.

No way. That's a toxic environment. That's pretty much how Ralph fired Polian.

Criticism is fair, they weren't good in the big moment. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Sullivan is 100% correct, McD is a choker. In tight spots McD becomes a deer in headlights. 
I think McD has been amazing as a catalyst for changing the culture at OBD and turning this franchise around, and fans should be thankful. Having said that, I also believe McD just cost this team a championship and he’s shown that he’s reached his ceiling, he’s not the guy to get this team to the next level.

Unfortunately, McD isn’t going anywhere in the foreseeable future, so we as fans get to sit here and watch Allen’s prime get wasted.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Sullivan is 100% correct, McD is a choker. In tight spots McD becomes a deer in headlights. 
I think McD has been amazing as a catalyst for changing the culture at OBD and turning this franchise around, and fans should be thankful. Having said that, I also believe McD just cost this team a championship and he’s shown that he’s reached his ceiling, he’s not the guy to get this team to the next level.

Unfortunately, McD isn’t going anywhere in the foreseeable future, so we as fans get to sit here and watch Allen’s prime get wasted.

Allen's prime time lasts for another 15 years.  And I hope McD looks at that last 13 seconds and realizes that he has to make his defense be more aggressive.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

What are you talking about? Allen has gotten better every year. Yeah we have to beat KC, but Allen's career wasted? What are you talking about? 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

That is not the way you run successful organisations. "Taking the blame" does not mean losing your job. That is not what real accountability looks like. The coaches messed the final 13 seconds up. That is not grounds for firing. And actually the bigger mistake of the two was not squibbing. Which is McDermott and Farwell. 

2 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Allen will be in his prime until age 39? Sure, Jan.

Okay, 12 years. QB prime these days is 28-36. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jerry's article is spot on imo. However, as players need to learn how to play in the BIG GAME coaches need to learn the same thing. I would have more understanding for Mcdermott if he had taken responsibility for the last 13 seconds instead of saying he didn't want to talk about it. The Chiefs and their coaching staff had done it all and seen it all. Reid has forgotten more about big moments than Mcdermott and his staff have experienced. Mcdermott isn't going anywhere, and thankfully, neither is Josh. For a long long time. As Mcdermott has figured out the Patriots and the rest of the AFC East. He will figure out how to handle the chiefs.

In my observation we need a stronger secondary. Levi Wallace as our #1 CB isn't going to get it done against the Chiefs. And tbh Chief's fans were terrified that Josh was going to get the ball in OT. I have talked to several KC fans, and they were terrified of our offense, and happy to play our defense without White. we need better depth in the secondary and our coaches need to make better in-game situational adjustments.

GO BILLS!!! 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What are you talking about? Allen has gotten better every year. Yeah we have to beat KC, but Allen's career wasted? What are you talking about? 

Allen just turned in the greatest playoff performance I’ve seen in back to back games, I think maybe the greatest ever on record. And McD wasted that with his incompetence, I don’t see that changing. McD mismanages game situations all the time. On top of that, McD spent a year game planning for KC and turned in a worse performance. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No way. That's a toxic environment. That's pretty much how Ralph fired Polian.

Criticism is fair, they weren't good in the big moment. 

No Polian left because he knew Ralph was not committed to keeping players and paying them like Will Wilford, Levy begged Ralph to pay him and Ralph was reluctant until it was to late and matched the colts offer only to lose him in court and Levy had it with Ralph when Ralph would not pay Howard Ballard Levy told him don’t blame me for the season.  Polian made the right decision to leave.

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Have you looked at Brady?  Rogers?  Quit being clueless and so emotional.

Clueless is taking two exceptions to the rule and expecting Allen to match it, especially two examples who don’t put their bodies at risk like Allen. I hope Allen can be amazing for another decade. But McD has bought himself at least 4-5 years of grace with the turnaround he lead, so most of Allen’s prime years will be tied to a guy that can’t coach in tight spots, a coach that just cost him a monumental opportunity.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is not the way you run successful organisations. "Taking the blame" does not mean losing your job. That is not what real accountability looks like. The coaches messed the final 13 seconds up. That is not grounds for firing. And actually the bigger mistake of the two was not squibbing. Which is McDermott and Farwell. 

Okay, 12 years. QB prime these days is 28-36. 

That’s if he stays healthy.  If Allen goes down are you confident they could win.  I have a lot of confidence in Shawn but not Frazier he is Shawn’s kryptonite now.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

No Polian left because he knew Ralph was not committed to keeping players and paying them like Will Wilford, Levy begged Ralph to pay him and Ralph was reluctant until it was to late and matched the colts offer only to lose him in court and Levy had it with Ralph when Ralph would not pay Howard Ballard Levy told him don’t blame me for the season.  Polian made the right decision to leave.

I don’t think that’s true at all. Wilford and Ballard left after Polian was fired. The belief of Polian being fired was a clash with Ralph’s daughter (daughter-in-law?).

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.