With the 25th Pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Mark Vader

12 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

You do realize there is this whole thing called Free Agency as well, right? Also trades happen. 

If the "story of the season" was the Jags game...if you really wants to single it down to 1 game...could just as easily be a game where the Bills got thrashed in the run at home against a team that ultimately missed the playoffs as well(Colts). Or the game against the Patriots where they win by running...agaim at home....or Titans where the opponent ran all over Buffalo for the W. Hmm...sense a theme in all those losses. 

The Patriots and Titans didn't have great days running the ball against Buffalo..........they each had one single big run play that made a big difference but were otherwise stoned by the Bills defense in the run game.   

Specifically that Patriots game at home........what the Bills needed was someone on offense who could take a short pass and make it into a big play.

There are going to be days like that when Allen isn't as sharp or when the weather conditions dictate a short passing game..........the Bills do not have the personnel in the passing game to pick up the slack on those days.    They are a station-to-station passing offense.    No RAC.   That's why a journeyman type in McKenzie with some RAC ability looked dynamic at times.  It's the personnel.      

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

i think it was worse than that.... I think it was flat route to Reggie Gilliam, Singletary run, Singletary run and on the 3rd down run he got knocked back so that 4th down wasn't even a consideration. Brutal. 

And the Titans. It is like the AFC South is zigging while the rest of the AFC is zagging.

IIRC it was a 7 yard run by DS, a 1 yard run by DS, and a 1 yard run by McKenzie.

14 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

A WR with blazing speed please in round 1 is where I'm at currently. What does that landscape look like for the 2022 class?

16 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

We'll see about the names in the coming months...

But right now I think the odds favor O-Line and speed at WR...B-)

Beane hasn't focused on speed guys on offense for whatever reason.  Diggs is plenty fast, but Beasley, Sanders, Davis, Singletary, and Moss are all relatively slow.  They’ve all been productive players, but it makes me wonder if Beane prefers getting players at a discount because they don’t have the measurables.  McKenzie is the only guy who is a real threat to make defenders look silly, and his story in Buffalo may have already been written.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

i think it was worse than that.... I think it was flat route to Reggie Gilliam, Singletary run, Singletary run and on the 3rd down run he got knocked back so that 4th down wasn't even a consideration. Brutal. 

That was Daboll doing his Mike Mularkey/Sam Wyche routine.

He mostly got away from that propensity for "gotcha'" plays that don't make sense late in the year and the strung out run plays that can't work against a fast flowing defense.    But he gave away 2 drives with those decisions to take the ball out of Allen's hands.

Whether it was designed to go to him or not........there is no way that Gilliam should ever be running that route.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

The Patriots and Titans didn't have great days running the ball against Buffalo..........they each had one single big run play that made a big difference but were otherwise stoned by the Bills defense in the run game.   

Specifically that Patriots game at home........what the Bills needed was someone on offense who could take a short pass and make it into a big play.

There are going to be days like that when Allen isn't as sharp or when the weather conditions dictate a short passing game..........the Bills do not have the personnel in the passing game to pick up the slack on those days.    They are a station-to-station passing offense.    No RAC.   That's why a journeyman type in McKenzie with some RAC ability looked dynamic at times.  It's the personnel.      

No offense intended...but in my eyes that is always the weakest of arguments. Yea, if you take away big plays it doesn't look as impressive...almost like if there was a big dude clogging up the middle those big runs may not have happened. Also, you can't just "eliminate" a big run. You or I have no idea how the rest of the drive pans out.

What if instead of a 60 yard run the RB ripped off 10 six yard runs. Same yardage. Lower YPC...but it all adds up. Is that still not getting run on? Better? Worse? It's all a viewpoint based debate in my opinion.

I will agree with YAC being an issue. That does have something to do with personell...true. It's one of the reasons I'd love to see the Bills target Godwin who finished 6th in YAC even missing games at the end. 

However it also has a lot to do with how teams defended our pass. This year those crossers to Diggs and Beasley that we saw last season were largely taken away. We were turned more into a "take what we can" passing team. Teams would allow short underneath passes and collapse in. Gotta scheme up something there. 

Also, if teams know they can easily run on the Bills...what better way to keep Josh Allen off the field? Eat up clock, shorten the game, limit possessions and it helps when your opponent has Superman as their QB. 

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

Beane hasn't focused on speed guys on offense for whatever reason.  Diggs is plenty fast, but Beasley, Sanders, Davis, Singletary, and Moss are all relatively slow.  They’ve all been productive players, but it makes me wonder if Beane prefers getting players at a discount because they don’t have the measurables.  McKenzie is the only guy who is a real threat to make defenders look silly, and his story in Buffalo may have already been written.

Yes, and I think speed at the position is something Beane needs to once again consider, and I am familiar with our current Wr's. I was really only asking what the '22 draft class looks like for speed at WR.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That was Daboll doing his Mike Mularkey/Sam Wyche routine.

He mostly got away from that propensity for "gotcha'" plays that don't make sense late in the year and the strung out run plays that can't work against a fast flowing defense.    But he gave away 2 drives with those decisions to take the ball out of Allen's hands.

Whether it was designed to go to him or not........there is no way that Gilliam should ever be running that route.

Oh but it was worse than that.  IIRC the defense had just spent 8 minutes giving up a long drive, and desperately needed the offense to sustain a drive of their own.  The Bills "responded" by calling 3 nowhere plays and punting on 4th and short, forcing the D back onto the field.

It was one of many examples yesterday of the coaches not being plugged into what was actually happening on the field.  It's highly disturbing.  Again, the Pegulas aren't serious human beings or there would at least be some level of talking-to accountability - firing McD would be rash and stupid but he should absolutely be put on notice for his lack of situational awareness in critical moments all season.  It HAS to stop if this team cares about championships.  Jim Irsay is a nutjob but at least he demands excellence for his fans.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it needs to be OL.  This team struggled on the middle part of the year when the line fell apart.  Allen seemed to regress under constant pressure and the run game was worthless then too.

Once the line gelled at the end, our O became unstoppable.  

Give me a first round G or C to improve the passing ge and run game with guys we already have.

Then draft the fastest WRs in the later rounds. 

I don't see how our D coulda been better last night, in terms of personnel.  Mahommes is just unstoppable. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The best center or guard available.

If we draft D, I might hurt myself👿

Didn't the D just give up over 40 points!  NEED to improve.  DE & DT, Bye to Mario Addison, Jerry Hughes and probably Star.   Also need a corner.  T White might not be the same player after knee injury.  I would love to see an upgrade at RB too.  The line and offense just put up 36 points on the road and lost because of bad coaching decisions, 13 seconds!

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Trent McDuffie CB

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/trent-mcduffie/zeZljeyLWy

Andrew Booth CB

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/andrew-booth/pPkn8PTdSq

Kaiir Elam CB

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kaiir-elam/maMlNW0HoN

The Bills need another starting outside CB that can shutdown top WR options

I'm with you on a top CB. Nice list. I would probably add Roger McCreary as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

No offense intended...but in my eyes that is always the weakest of arguments. Yea, if you take away big plays it doesn't look as impressive...almost like if there was a big dude clogging up the middle those big runs may not have happened. Also, you can't just "eliminate" a big run. You or I have no idea how the rest of the drive pans out.

What if instead of a 60 yard run the RB ripped off 10 six yard runs. Same yardage. Lower YPC...but it all adds up. Is that still not getting run on? Better? Worse? It's all a viewpoint based debate in my opinion.

I will agree with YAC being an issue. That does have something to do with personell...true. It's one of the reasons I'd love to see the Bills target Godwin who finished 6th in YAC even missing games at the end. 

However it also has a lot to do with how teams defended our pass. This year those crossers to Diggs and Beasley that we saw last season were largely taken away. We were turned more into a "take what we can" passing team. Teams would allow short underneath passes and collapse in. Gotta scheme up something there. 

Also, if teams know they can easily run on the Bills...what better way to keep Josh Allen off the field? Eat up clock, shorten the game, limit possessions and it helps when your opponent has Superman as their QB. 

They were a bad YAC team last year as well so it had nothing to do with defensive adjustments.

Go back and watch tape of last year..........the receivers took a horrible beating from all the short passes in front of defenders who then came up fast to hit them because they weren't afraid of the receiver evading their grasp and making a play.    You could put a WWF highlight reel together from all the body slams Beasley and Diggs took in 2020.

Teams can't run easily on the Bills defense.    They have a very solid run defense.   

The only bad day the Bills had against the run was Indy..........who had the highest draft pedigreed OL in NFL history and the league's best RB..........they got a lead and the Bills played terrible that day.    They would have lost to a lot of teams that day.

What killed them in TN was play action passing..........which works well regardless of whether you can run it consistently or not if it's well executed.    And it was.   Great performance for the Titans and still the Bills should have won that game outright.    Bad blocks by an ailing LT and a soon benched LG snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.    

At home against NE it was their inability to make plays for Josh Allen...........that game and the Jax game were opposite ends of the spectrum of performance from Allen..........but both days where they needed a playmaker and couldn't find a single one.     

All respect to Diggs........great at getting open.........bad at YAC.    And after him the playmaking ability after the catch falls off significantly among their starting 4 of Diggs/Beas/Sanders/Davis.     Davis is a tremendous #3 option..........they need a 1B who can fill that chasm between Diggs short routes and Davis deep routes with explosiveness.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I think it needs to be OL.  This team struggled on the middle part of the year when the line fell apart.  Allen seemed to regress under constant pressure and the run game was worthless then too.

Once the line gelled at the end, our O became unstoppable.  

Give me a first round G or C to improve the passing ge and run game with guys we already have.

Then draft the fastest WRs in the later rounds. 

I don't see how our D coulda been better last night, in terms of personnel.  Mahommes is just unstoppable. 

The thing to remember is that a better OL makes Josh a better---and much more consistent---QB.

And making Josh play his best should be the first, second, and third top priority this offseason! 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

trade pick for premier pass rusher.  

If drafting, BPA.  Really, this team could upgrade everywhere but QB.  

Bean needs to stop targeting positions.  It failed last two years with zero impact DE's on the roster.  We need an impact player that can change the game at a meaningful time in the front 7.  

I think this may be a year where beane will look to be aggressive and get a guy, we are now neck and neck with KC and Josh is one of the 2 best qbs in the league.

I'm think xxx player may be our first round pick like Diggs was

5 minutes ago, JOSH HUFF said:

Didn't the D just give up over 40 points!  NEED to improve.  DE & DT, Bye to Mario Addison, Jerry Hughes and probably Star.   Also need a corner.  T White might not be the same player after knee injury.  I would love to see an upgrade at RB too.  The line and offense just put up 36 points on the road and lost because of bad coaching decisions, 13 seconds!

JOSH picked up the whole O (again) and put them on his shoulders and carried them. No Josh= No Magic.

He can’t take that kind of pounding forever and i would say , much longer. He is our investment and we need to protect him by creating a better line in front of him and a better running game  around him (that doesn’t include him to Tre extent it currently does.

The way you beat the Chiefs is you OUTSCORE them. You don’t slow them down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

CB2

How many draft assets does a defensive-minded coach need to run his defense?  When are they going to strategically focus on protecting their $250M investment by surrounding him with enough talent that he doesn’t have to win games himself?  Not denying CB2 is a need but my gosh they’ve spent a lot on that side…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Oh but it was worse than that.  IIRC the defense had just spent 8 minutes giving up a long drive, and desperately needed the offense to sustain a drive of their own.  The Bills "responded" by calling 3 nowhere plays and punting on 4th and short, forcing the D back onto the field.

It was one of many examples yesterday of the coaches not being plugged into what was actually happening on the field.  It's highly disturbing.  Again, the Pegulas aren't serious human beings or there would at least be some level of talking-to accountability - firing McD would be rash and stupid but he should absolutely be put on notice for his lack of situational awareness in critical moments all season.  It HAS to stop if this team cares about championships.  Jim Irsay is a nutjob but at least he demands excellence for his fans.

I don't think the Pegula's are in any position to lean on McDermott.........I get disappointed with some of the things McD does...........but he'd be A LOT harder to replace than Frank Reich would be in Indy.    They are built on McD's foundation for better or worse.    The talent aside from Allen isn't good enough to sustain a seismic coaching change.    And I do like the fact that he is always willing to make adjusments to his game.

3 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

.....to trade up a bit if Jordan Davis is there at 20ish.

Also, the Chiefs quietly ran for over 180 yards last night. CEH gashed that line in almost every touch ripping off hige chunks. Run defense is still something to improve.

A few bad scrambles, a few light boxes, and a few terrible run fits.  We suck at defending reverses too.  

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

How many draft assets does a defensive-minded coach need to run his defense?  When are they going to strategically focus on protecting their $250M investment by surrounding him with enough talent that he doesn’t have to win games himself?  Not denying CB2 is a need but my gosh they’ve spent a lot on that side…

White won't be back til mid season and even when he comes back he likely won't be the same player until the following year.

WR could also be a pick here but I think the CB pool is deeper this draft class late in the round.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think the Pegula's are in any position to lean on McDermott.........I get disappointed with some of the things McD does...........but he'd be A LOT harder to replace than Frank Reich would be in Indy.    They are built on McD's foundation for better or worse.    The talent aside from Allen isn't good enough to sustain a seismic coaching change.    And I do like the fact that he is always willing to make adjusments to his game.

Agree with all of that but would prefer he brings in some coaching talent who could actually challenge him to stretch more.  With the game on the line last night was anyone in McD’s ear about the situation they were facing?  Because it sure seemed like he somehow didn’t know the Chiefs were only down by 3 and had all of their timeouts.  A competent veteran assistant HC/special teams coordinator would do wonders for the game day operation.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They’d probably scheme up the wrong defense again 😎

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Imagine that extremely fat guy playing 35-40 plays against Mahomes.    He'd keel over dead.    I'd be very leery about throwing first round money at a guy like that.   That's bad business.

The addition of a true 1 technique can’t be undervalued for the turn around of this defense from 2020 to 2021. There are going to be plenty of teams that will be trying to beat the Bills by running the ball. Losing 4 games could mean another trip to Arrowhead. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

JOSH picked up the whole O (again) and put them on his shoulders and carried them. No Josh= No Magic.

He can’t take that kind of pounding forever and i would say , much longer. He is our investment and we need to protect him by creating a better line in front of him and a better running game  around him (that doesn’t include him to Tre extent it currently does.

The way you beat the Chiefs is you OUTSCORE them. You don’t slow them down.

Allen doesn't take all that many hits...he was among the least sacked QBs in the NFL, so that eliminates a lot of hits on him and most times he is delivering the blows rather than receiving them. He also does a good job of getting down when needed and running out of bounds.

He isn't Newton standing back there and getting hammered on many dropbacks.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No thanks. They’ve already invested a ***** ton defensively…. It’s time to stop making Josh Allen do just about everything for the offense and get him some help. 

I guess, if you want Josh Allen to continue to be both the run and pass game while taking a beating and knocking off years of his prime. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Olave as a Bill...dude has some jets running a 4.38. Doubt he is there at 25 tho

Edited by Big Turk

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They sure did! But with Tre being out with an ACL, that’s no good. Especially with Kansas City being our major nemesis, it makes sense to be extremely deep at DB. They may even need to draft two of them.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

They sure did! But with Tre being out with an ACL, that’s no good. Especially with Kansas City being our major nemesis, it makes sense to be extremely deep at DB. They may even need to draft two of them.

My problem is that the Broncos were shopping Kyle Fuller at the deadline and Beane stood pat. A former All Pro 2 years ago. Not sure of the compensation, but I would’ve given up at least a 3rd for him. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The addition of a true 1 technique can’t be undervalued for the turn around of this defense from 2020 to 2021. There are going to be plenty of teams that will be trying to beat the Bills by running the ball. Losing 4 games could mean another trip to Arrowhead. 

Your 1 tech isn't a nose tackle........he still needs to be able to make plays...........Davis doesn't do that.

His 2021 production was pretty anemic actually.

14 games 32 tackles 5 TFL and 2 sacks

Harrison Phillips senior year line at Stanford:

14 games 98 tackles 17 TFL and 7.5 sacks

Phillips is a true 1 tech who is coming into his own now............they need a backup to him but they don't need to use a first round pick there.

Support the QB.........Allen can't endure the kind of beating he took running the ball that much year after year...........he needs playmakers and blocking and those take HUGE precedence over a filling a run defense role.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think we're delusional if we think Linderbaum will be there. He's much much more likely to go top 10 than fall to 25.

Kyler Gordon or Ahmad Gardner would be my choices to pair with Tre. I don't think Elam will be there at 25 if I had to guess. Gordon intrigues me from a size and versatility stand point and Gardner is the most productive DB in this class by a mile. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.