Divisional Round: Buffalo at KC Sunday at 6:30

Process

11 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

I'm glad you brought this up, because this is something that has basically sat in the back of my mind for quite a long time now, dating back to very early in the season, I can't remember which game, but a defensive coordinator I believe even went as far as to say something along the lines of, "if Allen wants to keep running the ball the way he does, we're gonna treat him like a runner", insinuating that if given the chance they were gonna hit him and hit him hard.  I know for a fact many defensive players have taken issue with Allen and his rushing abilities and his reluctance to slide/run out of bounds.  I spent a great majority of the 1st half of the season in fear for Allen's safety, and literally held my breath every time he took off with the rock. 

But as the season progressed, and really only until a few weeks ago did I realize something.  I mentioned this earlier in the thread, or perhaps in another thread, as much as Allen has developed his game as a passer, he's done the same as a runner.   He is making much smarter decisions on when to tuck it and run, he's taking much better angles now, making him an even harder target to hit, combine that with his deceptive speed and long strides, and his runs now more than ever are simply back-breaking to the defense.  You simply cannot gameplan for what Allen can do to you when adding his rushing element.  And now that he is improving on what seems to be a week to week basis, defenders are going to have a hard enough time just bringing him down before a 40 or 50 yard gain, the last thing they have time for is trying to make ESPN's top plays by laying Josh out.  And I agree with you 100%, there is most definitely some jealousy, some anger, and plenty of frustration with some of the defensive players out there...but because of the unique running skillset Allen is bringing now on a weekly basis, there simply isn't an opportunity for one of them to cheap shot or intentionally hurt Allen unless it was BLATANTLY long after the whistle, in which we're talking not just a flag, but ejection/suspension and hefty fines.  

They all talk the big talk thinking they can scare him or something...yeah right.

If you want to lay a big hit on the 6'5" 240lb JA17 the first thing  you have to do is catch him ;)

Good Luck with that :) 

• Like (+1) 2

Pretty good article from Football Outsiders:

Bills, Chiefs Prepping for a Shootout

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/game-previews/2022/bills-chiefs-prepping-shootout

"And with Allen making plays that quarterbacks with lesser physical tools couldn't make, and with a defense rebutting its relative weakness against the run (11th in DVOA versus first against the pass) by limiting Damien Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson to 57 yards and 3.4 yards per attempt, the Bills made a compelling case that their best football is the best in football. The Chiefs won't need to review Saturday's film to reach that understanding. They lived it in a 38-20 Bills dismantling in Week 5 in Kansas City. But while recency and matchup connectivity make it easy to expect the team to play to the standard of those two best offensive performances of their season by DVOA (108.1% and 86.5%), the Bills were the least consistent team in football."

"Singletary has always excelled by some measures of rushing efficiency. His 4.7 yards per attempt and 8.3% avoided tackle rate since the start of 2019 are eighth- and 18th-best of the 45 backs with 300 or more carries and reflect his elusiveness. But Singletary committed to an offseason training program, and his reportedly increased top-end speed may explain his jump from 2.1 yards before contact per attempt from the start of his career to 2.5 yards since he became the Bills featured back in Week 14. That improvement has spurred a similar jump from a 49.1% to a 52.1% rushing success rate"

"On Saturday, Allen drew attention with his play-action fakes, throwing all five of his touchdowns on play-action passes. And that is a major concern for a Chiefs defense that allowed 2.4 more yards per play-action versus traditional pass attempts, the third-biggest differential in football this season."

"At full strength, the Chiefs are a better defense than the one the Bills scorched in Week 5. But Allen has too many answers for too many questions for any defense to consistently disrupt him. The Chiefs will have to hope the bad Bills show up this Sunday. Or hope Patrick Mahomes can match Allen point for point."

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Draconator said:

I'm currently eating homemade wings with a drop of hot sauce at 6 million scoville heat. One drop. Hotter than Duffs. So damn good!!!!  

Your butt must be in a real happy place this morning ;) 

11 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I dont take stock in that stuff but I dont mind reading and posting it.

However, Cynthia Frelund is 178-94-1 in the regular season and she does pretty well each year.  She is also 4-2 in wildcard round.

I also was 178-94-1 for the season.

I was 5-1 in the wildcard round.

I also am picking the Chiefs, although it is essentially a coin flip.

Edited by MrSarcasm
  • Haha (+1) 2

How the heck does Kim Jones keep her job.  

besides constantly stumbling over words she just said (read the prompter?) that Josh had 4 interceptions last weekend 

46 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I would say the same thing about the Bills.

I honestly billieve they(the Bills) are a way better team now than they were in week 5 :)

and why don’t they mention how banded up the Bills were then?

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

The way I look at this game is that we absolutely can win..  Nothing to say Allen & company can’t go out and hang another perfect game on the Chiefs. And I like our D better than Chiefs D. 

But to win, I expect we’ll need our very best game again.. we won’t be able to have a let down and find a way to win.  So which Bills team shows up tomorrow?  I’m hoping what we saw last week is a trend (and not a one-off) going forward!

My fears for the game revolve around the inconsistency of this team throughout the year. To sum up, I believe we’re every bit as good as the Chiefs. If we lose, we beat ourselves.  

Last season I didn’t really expect that we’d win the AFC in Arrowhead. Was a great season for us regardless. This year, it’s ours for the taking.. which makes me much more nervous than last year. Go Bills!

My Saturday Penultimate thoughts:

1.  Loved the Buffalo Philharmonic getting into the act.  Although it lacked percussion.

2. I expect Mahomes to have > 60 yards rushing in the game.  I expect Allen to actually have about the same. 

3. This is the game we find out if the OLINE's recent success is legit.  

4. I'm all in for slow methodical, clock eating drives.

5. KC is down Fenton.  So who fills that hole?  Hughes or Anderson or other?

6. Really quite surprised at the overwhelming amount of Bills v Kansas City coverage.  All the talk was Allen not Mahomes.  This game has been made into a referendum on the Bills and Allen, not the Chiefs.

7. Can the Bills DLINE stop the run, keep 15 in the pocket and pressure him into bad throws? 

8. I sure as hell hope the Bills give the KC WRs the sticky, hands on coverage that they will be giving the Bills

9. 5 healthy WRs + Knox for this game.  Let's do this.  

10. Will Daboll pull out the razzle dazzle plays here, because you sure know KC will?  Does Allen get a receiving TD this game?

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Rewatched the championship game from last season.  Feliciano was was Chris Jones personal turnstile.  They gotta block better this year to have a chance.    I think they will.  

Hopefully Bates shows out and Mongo doesn't see the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Rewatched the championship game from last season.  Feliciano was was Chris Jones personal turnstile.  They gotta block better this year to have a chance.    I think they will.  

The Bills finally realized Feliciano was no good and got him out of there! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/football-party-gone-national-buffalo-092701397.html

It’s a football party gone national. The Buffalo Bills have become regulars on prime time

Do you think Pats* fans are rooting for the Bills? I live in NE, and I can't really tell. Most people are still feeling raw about the blowout. 

This game depends entirely on coach McDermott. If he coaches like a coward idiot and playing not to lose, then we lose.

If I see a Bills first punt on the opponent's side of the field with a yard or less to get the 1st down? I might as well turn the TV off.

Edited by Joe Ferguson
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

This game depends entirely on coach McDermott. If he coaches like a coward idiot and playing not to lose, then we lose.

If I see a Bills first punt on the opponent's side of the field with a yard or less to get the 1st down? I might as well turn the TV off and watch a movie.

Love the optimism! It’s contagious! 

• Haha (+1) 6

18 minutes ago, finn said:

Do you think Pats* fans are rooting for the Bills? I live in NE, and I can't really tell. Most people are still feeling raw about the blowout. 

Good question.   
there was a time I would support for a fellow AFCE team, but after all the cheating and scandals I stopped fast. 

I know Steelers fans are (well at least the one I saw in the grocery store yesterday) 

9 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

If I see a Bills first punt on the opponent's side of the field with a yard or less to get the 1st down? I might as well turn the TV off.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

13 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

McD went for the WIN against the Jags and Titans instead of going into OT.  

those 2 losses HURT.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

McD went for the WIN against the Jags and Titans instead of going into OT.  

those 2 losses HURT.  

Going for it on your opponent’s side of the field doesn’t always guarantee a win...but continuing to give the ball back to KC or playing for FGs will guarantee a loss imo...👍

43 minutes ago, finn said:

I think Yankees, er, I mean Pats fans are pulling for Buffalo. The comments I've seen are along the lines of "let them have one & think they actually accomplished something.  They can talk to us when they have 6.  We have 6, remember?  New England has 6 Super Bowls.   6x.  That's what we have - 6."

• Angry 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.