Divisional Round: Buffalo at KC Sunday at 6:30

Process

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I see you are a disciple of the "No Fun League"

Nope. More of a situation where I don’t want to see players truly celebrating until the dragon has been slayed. Gabe and Doyle’s TD’s on Saturday were examples of when to let loose, and the player and team did on each.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Nope. More of a situation where I don’t want to see players truly celebrating until the dragon has been slayed. Gabe and Doyle’s TD’s on Saturday were examples of when to let loose, and the player and team did on each.

100%. Nothing irks me more than when WRs. Celebrate routine first down catches….that’s your job. Look at Micah’s int against the Pats. Amazing, yes. But it was the first quarter. No big hooplah, just doing his job. Let the fans go nuts. 

Now, if it’s the 4th quarter and you just converted on a huge 4th down or intercepted the ball on a final drive…sure, go nuts….time and place. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

People who find the name “Chiefs” offensive really need to get a grip and find something useful to complain about.

Nothing whatsoever is disparaging about that name.

Ugh, never said I was offended by the name...just saying that it might be culturally insensitive.  There are a lot of things the we used to say, or our parents or grandparents used to say, that simply shouldn't be said anymore.  I can't really believe that I have to defend this position in 2022, especially the day after MLK.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… never understood the “we’re built to beat the Chiefs” narrative… I expect the defense to struggle for much of the game. This games on the offense to match the Chiefs drive for drive.

Tell that to the #1 defense in the NFL. This is not just on the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Ugh, never said I was offended by the name...just saying that it might be culturally insensitive.  There are a lot of things the we used to say, or our parents or grandparents used to say, that simply shouldn't be said anymore.  I can't really believe that I have to defend this position in 2022, especially the day after MLK.

I don’t think that Chiefs is a derogatory term or culturally insensitive. It is used worldwide in many cultures as the term for a leader of a group. Chief of Staff, tribal chief etc. when you mix it with aboriginal headdress, that’s when things start getting a little bit out of whack. The Tomahawk chop is a bit of a grey area.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Tell that to the #1 defense in the NFL. This is not just on the offense.

Everyone knows the Bills defense is very good but the metrics are misleading for a number of reasons, specially the amount of rookie/backup QB's this team has faced through the course of the year.

Conversely you can say the same about the Chiefs as well considering how they stacked good games in the 2nd half of the season against a lot of poor matchups.

But at end of the day, anyone expecting the Bills defense to come close to replicating what they did in October or last week is kidding themselves. Wallace and Jackson are going to get picked and exposed big time like they did against Brady and the Bucs but the question is whether or not Allen and the offense can come close to having the performance they did against Patriots on the road against a much different team and QB.

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I don’t think that Chiefs is a derogatory term or culturally insensitive. It is used worldwide in many cultures as the term for a leader of a group. Chief of Staff, tribal chief etc. when you mix it with aboriginal headdress, that’s when things start getting a little bit out of whack. The Tomahawk chop is a bit of a grey area.

Yes, completely agree...it is the context around it, that's all.  

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

And if Bengals beat Titans the Bills will have additional incentive to win - playing AFC Championship at home.

This is the same for KC though since they are the #2 seed and getting a 4th straight AFC championship at home puts them in the same company as the 90's Bills. In fact they would surpass them since the Bills didn't play at home int the AFC championship all 4 years they were in the SB, in the 3rd year it was on the road in Miami.

Edited by FilthyBeast

39 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Saw this in some of the coverage for the upcoming game and it made me think, this is a terrible analogy.

People like/enjoy cake, hell some people love it I guess, but people don't need cake.

If the Chiefs are a team that's like "Yes I'd enjoy a second piece of cake." the Bills are a man dying of thirst that sees a glass of water.

I think you under estimate how much Andy Reid loves cake and what he would do for a piece.  

• Haha (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Everyone knows the Bills defense is very good but the metrics are misleading for a number of reasons, specially the amount of rookie/backup QB's this team has faced through the course of the year.

Conversely you can say the same about the Chiefs as well considering how they stacked good games in the 2nd half of the season against a lot of poor matchups.

But at end of the day, anyone expecting the Bills defense to come close to replicating what they did in October or last week is kidding themselves. Wallace and Jackson are going to get picked and exposed big time like they did against Brady and the Bucs but the question is whether or not Allen and the offense can come close to having the performance they did against Patriots on the road against a much different team and QB.

I expect Buffalo's defense to throw some different looks at Mahomes and to disquise coverages. The key is going to be pressuring him until he makes a mistake. This is not just about the guys on the back end. I see a lot of people worried about specific matchups and thinking that Mahomes will expliot them. To a certain degree, those are valid arguments, but keep in mind that, as a whole the defense is playing a very strong game. There is a reason Buffalo is number one and it isn't just because of a few good DBs. Mahomes makes mistakes and this D is good at forcing those mistakes. It could be just one mistake in 60mins that turns the tide of the game. Question isn't whether Mahomes is going to hit his receivers. It's whether he can play mistake free. Will he take a sack, throw an interception, fumble the ball? The Bills defense is a group of 11 guys all doing their part to force a mistake and Mahomes, just like Allen make mistakes. This game is going to be about who makes fewer. The way I see it, Buffalo has the advantage here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rockinon said:

I expect Buffalo's defense to throw some different looks at Mahomes and to disquise coverages. The key is going to be pressuring him until he makes a mistake. This is not just about the guys on the back end. I see a lot of people worried about specific matchups and thinking that Mahomes will expliot them. To a certain degree, those are valid arguments, but keep in mind that, as a whole the defense is playing a very strong game. There is a reason Buffalo is number one and it isn't just because of a few good DBs. Mahomes makes mistakes and this D is good at forcing those mistakes. It could be just one mistake in 60mins that turns the tide of the game. Question isn't whether Mahomes is going to hit his receivers. It's whether he can play mistake free. Will he take a sack, throw an interception, fumble the ball? The Bills defense is a group of 11 guys all doing their part to force a mistake and Mahomes, just like Allen make mistakes. This game is going to be about who makes fewer. The way I see it, Buffalo has the advantage here.

They are going to have to take a lot of chances and bring pressure. Dropping into coverage is a recipe for disaster and essentially would be the same failed game plan as in the AFCCG.

Everyone knows the Chiefs will move the ball but the difference will be holding them to FG's or forcing turnovers instead of allowing TD's. What I worry most about is the guys like Pringle going off because of all the attention Hill and Kelce command.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

41 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I thought he did an admirable job covering Gronkowski and Pitts. He gave up one big completion to Pitts but that will happen to anyone eventually. Jackson struggles against double moves and sudden change in direction but that's not as important against TEs.

Disagree - Kelce is a lot more shifty than Gronk at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

They are going to have to take a lot of chances and bring pressure. Dropping into coverage is a recipe for disaster and essentially would be the same failed game plan as in the AFCCG.

Everyone knows the Chiefs will move the ball but the difference will be holding them to FG's or forcing turnovers instead of allowing TD's. What I worry most about is the guys like Pringle going off because of all the attention Hill and Kelce command.

I think you have to bracket Hill with either Jackson or Wallace underneath and one of our Safeties over the top, the physically beat up Kelce.  Hit him on every release and be physical with him early on in his routes.  

I can't see us doing anything other than that with those two. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yeah, but you never stop worrying.

The thing you don't want to do against the Chiefs is blitz. Mahomes destroys the blitz.

Dropping into coverage is not a recipe for disaster. You just have to do it right.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, CSBill said:

The place I have a genuine concern about, and I think this will go a long way in determining the game's outcome, is our cornerbacks. The Chiefs' receiving core puts pressure on the best D-backs. Our guys have played well since Tre's injury, but they have not played anything close to the quality of what they will be up against on Sunday; this will be the first real test. Will they hold up? The one thing they do have is two of the best Safeties in the league to help cover up for other deficiencies. Hyde and Poyer will need to be at their best.

This is my biggest concern as well. But often what happens is these games is not at all what we expect. It could turn on the defense's ability to handle the running game, for all I know. 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn’t look up the stats to confirm my suspicions, but I feel Melvin Ingram has always terrorized the Bills whenever we went against him, back to his days with the Chargers. He got the better of Dawkins in week 1 this year, but Dawkins is a different player now than he was then. Bills OL vs Chiefs DL will determine the outcome of the game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

If Bills play like they did Saturday night against KC, or even just close to the same....then it's a very good chance we will be making back to back AFCCG appearances. This is much different than week 5 game against KC. This game Sunday is what these Bills players/staff have wanted since their season ended. This is the 2nd chance against KC they have been so eager, and ready for.

You can believe it's as fresh on their minds now as it was a year ago. Those emotions etc will have them watering at the mouth for this "revenge game" as some call it. This is the true "revenge game" Sunday, not week 5 and I feel VERY confident our Bills are going to show that. 

23 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, but you never stop worrying.

The thing you don't want to do against the Chiefs is blitz. Mahomes destroys the blitz.

Dropping into coverage is not a recipe for disaster. You just have to do it right.

Agree, May see Bills play somewhat of a similar type Defense as we saw against KC in week 5.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.