A Few Thoughts about the Bucs Game, in no particular order

Virgil

While this season is one of parody and week to week results, the Bills fell to one gave over .500 in a game where they didn't look like they belonged on the same field for half the game.  As I look back on this season versus my previous seasons writing these, it's hard for me to tell if it's harder to write during a season of blown expectations or during the drought.  At least during the drought, we could focus on improvement and hope.  In this season, it's been more so about meeting expectations or letdowns.  At this point, it's very clear where the problems lay with this team and not it's only a matter of how the Bills will fix it in the off-season through personnel or coaching changes.

1 - Allen - I'm sure many will discuss the interception before the half, but even by that point in the game, it's almost impossible for me to blame Josh for much of anything he does.  Behind this offensive line where he was running for his life on almost every play, because Daboll can't seem to figure out how to block more than 5, and receivers that don't magically get open in less than 2 seconds, Josh is constantly being asked to make something out of nothing.  I'm not saying he doesn't have opportunities (high throws to the sideline) nor is he perfect, I'm just saying it's impossible to tell.  He had a great touchdown run off the RPO and had a solid completion percentage for a bit, but then was down 21 and had to start playing hero ball.  Josh is our entire offense and sets up the success of everyone else on the team.  His ability to move in the pocket brings up safeties and he actually avoided more sacks than the stat sheet will show . But it's unrealistic to expect him to carry this team on his own.  I feel good knowing that, no matter what changes happen on this team, we have our QB to build around.

2 - Daboll - Coming into this game, you knew thew Bucs could do one thing well on defense, and that was rush the passer.  With that being said, why did Daboll leave only 5 players in to block so much?  More so, with the amount of DB blitzes, leave Motor in the backfield as extra pass protection.  I say Motor very specifically because Breida got absolutely run over when he tried to make a block.  McKenzie ran a Jet Sweep threat only one time which pretty much sums up Daboll's attempt to confuse the defense, move the pocket, or do anything at all to slow down the Bucs pass rush.  While we did get it going in the second half, there's still no excuse for the first half performance or the 3 and out in OT.  I don't feel like this team has any "go to" plays anymore and there's no overall theme on offense.  Each drive and 3rd down play feels like a toss up.  This has been an ongoing theme this past month and it's one thing to just get beat up front, it's another to not plan for it at all. 

3 - Running backs in the first half - 

4 - I seem to recognize your face
Haunting familiar, yet I can't seem to place it
Cannot find the candle of thought to light your name
Lifetimes are catching up with me
All these changes taking place
I wish I'd seen the place
But no one's ever taken me

5 - Defensive Line - I almost labeled this thought pass rush, but that would indicate that the Bills have one.  Brady had literally all day to throw and this 40 million dollar defensive line with multiple first round pics was beyond pathetic in this game.  You can see the frustration brewing from the players and Oliver is a ticking time bomb of a personal foul.  I've been able to tolerate McD's rotation on the line, but we aren't able to rush the passer or stop the run with these guys and aren't getting a ROI.  Groot has been non-existent since the first few weeks.  Addison's had one good game, and threw in an offside in this game.  Hughes is the kind of almost sacks and missed holding calls.  Oliver is high motor, undisciplined, and I'm waiting for more PFs against him.

6 - Zone Defense - While Poyer and Hyde are great safeties, how were they left to cover Godwin and Evans so much?  I understand that Tre is out and we need to compensate to a degree, but our great passing defense gave up over 200 passing yards in the first half, with each pass looking to fall right in front of either safety.  Also, with zero pass rush, zone defense is only good if you force the QB to make bad reads and throw into coverage.  With Brady having all day, it was surgical how easily he picked us apart.  As we transitioned to the second half, it does look like we started playing man, and saw more success.  With that, shout out to Dane Jackson for playing well 1 on 1 in coverage against Gronk.  

7 - Edmunds - With this thought, I will be retiring any future comments about Edmunds, as I'm just over him as a player.  While Milano didn't have a great game, I can at least remember seeing him on the field (Brady sack was beautiful) with some big tackles and pass knock downs.  Edmunds had one good tackle in the open field against Gronk.  Other than that, Edmunds was just a big bodied player in the middle of the field who occupies space.  Edmunds got engulfed by blocks, couldn't beat a man when rushing the passer, took terrible angles on both Fournette long runs and overall invisible.  He did start to play better in the second half, but he's no where near a play maker or worthy of his draft selection.  I don't blame the game winning touchdown on him, but I do blame him for the converted 3rd and 1 in OT.  Edmunds was clearly behind the LOS and still allowed Fournette to get 2 yards from the point of contact.  When we need a hero, it continues to not be him.

8 - Knox - If there's a bright spot this season, it has to be the emergence of Knox in this offense.  Needing to forget his terrible play last week, Knox was decent on the plays he was left in to block and scored one of our only two passing touchdown of the game.  With that catch, he leads the NFL in touchdown passes by a TE.  In an upcoming off-season where a lot of touch decisions are going to be made, TE is no longer one of the positions we need to worry about. 

9 - McD - I want to give McD props for clearly getting involved with the defensive play calling early in the game.  However, why the defensive game plan needed to be adjusted so early in the game is another question.  But what will be talked about more so than anything else tomorrow will be his decision making again on 4th down.  Sure, if the fake punt worked, then everything is fine.  But the choice to give Breida the ball over Allen on 4th and short is a head-scratcher to me.  Then, when the Bills actually have some momentum, he punts on 4th and short.  I'm all for continuity and we did just sign him to an extension, but I don't think that gets him out of having to present a solid plan of change to the owners going forward.  I hope he's willing to adapt his defensive line rotation, as well as start to take a bigger interest in the offensive game planning.  Being 7-6 with this schedule and roster is a joke.

10 - 2nd Half - I know a lot are going to take the second half as a positive sign that the offense woke up and hopefully will be good down the stretch.  And while I do try to take a positive approach to these games, I'm also human and tired of not winning a close game this season.  I remember expecting to convert every 3 and 4th down play last year, versus expecting not to this year.  I think we were 1-9 on 3rd downs at one point.  The offense did wake up, but I still attribute that more to Allen playing hero ball as much as finally remembering Davis and Beasley are on the field.  To that point, I don't care if Sanders plays another snap for us.  Since his arrival, he's taken snaps away from guys who proved it on the field last year, has had maybe 3 good games, and has disappeared since.  I'm happy it was a game, but also felt like I lost twice today.  This game felt over at half, but the Bills did the most Billsy thing they could by coming back, giving hope, only to lose again.   

*Should we start to get worried about Digg's ability to track the deep ball?  This is two games in a row where that's cost us

**The only reason I'm not talking about the refs is because of promise earlier in the season to stop blaming games on them.  Yes, the 50/50 calls for PI went against the Bills and never in their favor, but we need to stop expecting them to help us.  To call that play on 3rd and 2 if you don't plan on going for it on 4th is stupid and on us.

I know the season isn't over and we still have a good chance to make the playoffs, but there's no reason to believe this team is capable of winning a game against any team who's physical in the trenches or be able to come back and win a game from behind.  The beauty of the drought was having no expectations.  I don't even know how to process this season besides it being a disappointment.  There's a lot of off-season work to do and I don't know if it will be possible in just one year.  We've proven that we need to upgrade at least 3 spots on the offensive line, get a genuine pass rusher (not a rotation!), a big space eater up the middle, a DB to fill in for Tre (Tre won't be back until November and Wallace is a UFA), and a MLB who can actually make a play.  This team needs to change at a core level, and I hope it can be done with tweaks, but I honestly don't know anymore.

Go Bills

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 17
  • Dislike 3

There is a clear correlation to Singletary getting carries and the offense scoring points.  I'm not saying Singletary scores the points but I am saying that it helps the passing game if you at least attempt to run the ball.  That's what I have said since week 5 on and can't figure out why it doesn't happen.  As far as the defense we seem to have a lack of people who hit guys hard enough to make them fall down.  I feel like even the guys we currently have used to hit people and make them fall down.  Lately it seems like they are just trying to grab some legs as they get run over.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Knox is good but he’s more of a gadget Tight End with good run after catch ability.  I still think we need a traditional in-Line Tight End who can block and catch a pass over the middle in the end zone and in 3rd down.  Go 2 Tight Ends more.  

Why, so Daboll can line him up

out wide?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Why, so Daboll can line him up

out wide?

Every year Daboll is still calling plays takes years off Josh’s career.  Looked like his ankle injury isn’t that bad, but it’s only a matter of time before he gets seriously injured.  We have to find a running game and we have to have a better short passing game.  A good in-Line Tight End helps with both.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Great take, but you didn't mention officiating and how some on TBD believe that it resulted in the outcome of the game.  In that light, your points seem totally superfluous.  (That was sarcasm.)

A gut punch from this gut check game.  The first half was awful, probably the worst football I've ever seen from this regime.  It sucks.  And your criticisms and insights are spot on as always.

40 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I know the season isn't over and we still have a good chance to make the playoffs, but there's no reason to believe this team is capable of winning a game against any team who's physical in the trenches or be able to come back and win a game from behind.  The beauty of the drought was having no expectations.  I don't even know how to process this season besides it being a disappointment.  There's a lot of off-season work to do and I don't know if it will be possible in just one year.  We've proven that we need to upgrade at least 3 spots on the offensive line, get a genuine pass rusher (not a rotation!), a big space eater up the middle, a DB to fill in for Tre (Tre won't be back until November and Wallace is a UFA), and a MLB who can actually make a play.  This team needs to change at a core level, and I hope it can be done with tweaks, but I honestly don't know anymore.

Go Bills

Thanks for all your thoughts, I just wanted to comment on this. For me I'm looking at the positive, Allen is a huge piece to build around, and the gap between teams just is not that big in this league. I think with a guy like Allen you're always in the mix to one degree or another, and you just need some breaks to go your way. It's not looking like it will happen this year, but maybe next year even if they can't fix everything.

I can't blame anyone for getting dispirited, though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Miracle comeback and we win the toss in OT.  Our first play is a freaking vanilla run play to one of our slow backs?????

Daboll should have went for the jugular in OT.  Instead he goes right back to wasting 1st down with a handoff to re-establish a run game that never was established against the best front 7 in the NFL.  We have been shredding their secondary.  Run it on first?  Why not go to far end of the play book and dial up a few nasty plays to try and WIN the f@#%$^ING game.  

It's the mentality that bothers me most.  Why didn't we go down swinging?  Instead we come out with some lame ass vanilla drive where we're expecting to punt and play freaking chess with Tom Brady for 15 minutes?  I mean we haven't seen him (and Gronk) pull games out for 20 years or anything.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, Virgil said:

While this season is one of parody and week to week results, the Bills fell to one gave over .500 in a game where they didn't look like they belonged on the same field for half the game.  As I look back on this season versus my previous seasons writing these, it's hard for me to tell if it's harder to write during a season of blown expectations or during the drought.  At least during the drought, we could focus on improvement and hope.  In this season, it's been more so about meeting expectations or letdowns.  At this point, it's very clear where the problems lay with this team and not it's only a matter of how the Bills will fix it in the off-season through personnel or coaching changes.

1 - Allen - I'm sure many will discuss the interception before the half, but even by that point in the game, it's almost impossible for me to blame Josh for much of anything he does.  Behind this offensive line where he was running for his life on almost every play, because Daboll can't seem to figure out how to block more than 5, and receivers that don't magically get open in less than 2 seconds, Josh is constantly being asked to make something out of nothing.  I'm not saying he doesn't have opportunities (high throws to the sideline) nor is he perfect, I'm just saying it's impossible to tell.  He had a great touchdown run off the RPO and had a solid completion percentage for a bit, but then was down 21 and had to start playing hero ball.  Josh is our entire offense and sets up the success of everyone else on the team.  His ability to move in the pocket brings up safeties and he actually avoided more sacks than the stat sheet will show . But it's unrealistic to expect him to carry this team on his own.  I feel good knowing that, no matter what changes happen on this team, we have our QB to build around.

2 - Daboll - Coming into this game, you knew thew Bucs could do one thing well on defense, and that was rush the passer.  With that being said, why did Daboll leave only 5 players in to block so much?  More so, with the amount of DB blitzes, leave Motor in the backfield as extra pass protection.  I say Motor very specifically because Breida got absolutely run over when he tried to make a block.  McKenzie ran a Jet Sweep threat only one time which pretty much sums up Daboll's attempt to confuse the defense, move the pocket, or do anything at all to slow down the Bucs pass rush.  While we did get it going in the second half, there's still no excuse for the first half performance or the 3 and out in OT.  I don't feel like this team has any "go to" plays anymore and there's no overall theme on offense.  Each drive and 3rd down play feels like a toss up.  This has been an ongoing theme this past month and it's one thing to just get beat up front, it's another to not plan for it at all. 

3 - Running backs in the first half - 

4 - I seem to recognize your face
Haunting familiar, yet I can't seem to place it
Cannot find the candle of thought to light your name
Lifetimes are catching up with me
All these changes taking place
I wish I'd seen the place
But no one's ever taken me

5 - Defensive Line - I almost labeled this thought pass rush, but that would indicate that the Bills have one.  Brady had literally all day to throw and this 40 million dollar defensive line with multiple first round pics was beyond pathetic in this game.  You can see the frustration brewing from the players and Oliver is a ticking time bomb of a personal foul.  I've been able to tolerate McD's rotation on the line, but we aren't able to rush the passer or stop the run with these guys and aren't getting a ROI.  Groot has been non-existent since the first few weeks.  Addison's had one good game, and threw in an offside in this game.  Hughes is the kind of almost sacks and missed holding calls.  Oliver is high motor, undisciplined, and I'm waiting for more PFs against him.

6 - Zone Defense - While Poyer and Hyde are great safeties, how were they left to cover Godwin and Evans so much?  I understand that Tre is out and we need to compensate to a degree, but our great passing defense gave up over 200 passing yards in the first half, with each pass looking to fall right in front of either safety.  Also, with zero pass rush, zone defense is only good if you force the QB to make bad reads and throw into coverage.  With Brady having all day, it was surgical how easily he picked us apart.  As we transitioned to the second half, it does look like we started playing man, and saw more success.  With that, shout out to Dane Jackson for playing well 1 on 1 in coverage against Gronk.  

7 - Edmunds - With this thought, I will be retiring any future comments about Edmunds, as I'm just over him as a player.  While Milano didn't have a great game, I can at least remember seeing him on the field (Brady sack was beautiful) with some big tackles and pass knock downs.  Edmunds had one good tackle in the open field against Gronk.  Other than that, Edmunds was just a big bodied player in the middle of the field who occupies space.  Edmunds got engulfed by blocks, couldn't beat a man when rushing the passer, took terrible angles on both Fournette long runs and overall invisible.  He did start to play better in the second half, but he's no where near a play maker or worthy of his draft selection.  I don't blame the game winning touchdown on him, but I do blame him for the converted 3rd and 1 in OT.  Edmunds was clearly behind the LOS and still allowed Fournette to get 2 yards from the point of contact.  When we need a hero, it continues to not be him.

8 - Knox - If there's a bright spot this season, it has to be the emergence of Knox in this offense.  Needing to forget his terrible play last week, Knox was decent on the plays he was left in to block and scored one of our only two passing touchdown of the game.  With that catch, he leads the NFL in touchdown passes by a TE.  In an upcoming off-season where a lot of touch decisions are going to be made, TE is no longer one of the positions we need to worry about. 

9 - McD - I want to give McD props for clearly getting involved with the defensive play calling early in the game.  However, why the defensive game plan needed to be adjusted so early in the game is another question.  But what will be talked about more so than anything else tomorrow will be his decision making again on 4th down.  Sure, if the fake punt worked, then everything is fine.  But the choice to give Breida the ball over Allen on 4th and short is a head-scratcher to me.  Then, when the Bills actually have some momentum, he punts on 4th and short.  I'm all for continuity and we did just sign him to an extension, but I don't think that gets him out of having to present a solid plan of change to the owners going forward.  I hope he's willing to adapt his defensive line rotation, as well as start to take a bigger interest in the offensive game planning.  Being 7-6 with this schedule and roster is a joke.

10 - 2nd Half - I know a lot are going to take the second half as a positive sign that the offense woke up and hopefully will be good down the stretch.  And while I do try to take a positive approach to these games, I'm also human and tired of not winning a close game this season.  I remember expecting to convert every 3 and 4th down play last year, versus expecting not to this year.  I think we were 1-9 on 3rd downs at one point.  The offense did wake up, but I still attribute that more to Allen playing hero ball as much as finally remembering Davis and Beasley are on the field.  To that point, I don't care if Sanders plays another snap for us.  Since his arrival, he's taken snaps away from guys who proved it on the field last year, has had maybe 3 good games, and has disappeared since.  I'm happy it was a game, but also felt like I lost twice today.  This game felt over at half, but the Bills did the most Billsy thing they could by coming back, giving hope, only to lose again.   

*Should we start to get worried about Digg's ability to track the deep ball?  This is two games in a row where that's cost us

**The only reason I'm not talking about the refs is because of promise earlier in the season to stop blaming games on them.  Yes, the 50/50 calls for PI went against the Bills and never in their favor, but we need to stop expecting them to help us.  To call that play on 3rd and 2 if you don't plan on going for it on 4th is stupid and on us.

Go Bills

For me, it is time to let Daboll go work at wendy's, he is sooooooo over rated....... Not to even try running the ball......well nuff said..

Edmunds, let him walk, he is a bust no impact plays week in a week out..... the worst defender on the field. 

looks like Brown is the guy we can run behind.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Maybe next season if I give it another go

Understandable Virg. So many on this board put so much thought and effort into their posts. Nobody probably more than you! Maybe that's why Bill from NYC passed the torch. Heavy lies the crown as the saying goes. Thank you!

• Like (+1) 2

I agree on the idea that it felt worse to come back only to fall short.

But, if there is A hope for the season, the seeds of it were probably planted in the 2nd half.  We played like I thought we'd play all season.  

I don't know if there is hope.  Last season was such a fun ride.  Maybe it won't be a linear trajectory.  Maybe this season is a step back before we put together another real run.

But another thing I agree on is how different ALL of it feels w/ Allen at QB. Not only did we get the best guy in that draft - there isn't anyone in the league I'd rather have.  The fact that we get another decade+ of watching this guy is a joyful feeling and provides a foundation of hope that helps me suffer these setbacks more gladly.

Josh Allen WILL win a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Every year Daboll is still calling plays takes years off Josh’s career.  Looked like his ankle injury isn’t that bad, but it’s only a matter of time before he gets seriously injured.  We have to find a running game and we have to have a better short passing game.  A good in-Line Tight End helps with both.  

I'm thinking like early Elway and how the Broncos had a pathetic running game... but our offensive line is worse.

Thanks Virgil!

2- our “go to plays” only work if our player makes an incredible play, they’re never easy or take advantage of mis matches.

5- I can deal with Oliver being a mean a**hole as long as he performs.

6- Dane Jackson did incredible for what he was asked to do.

7- utter garbage is Edmunds. We win if Klein plays today.

9- I don’t want McD near the offense or we get more Moss-like runs every set of downs. Dump Daboll and promote Dorsey or get some recently fired offensive minded head coach out for redemption.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Success said:

I agree on the idea that it felt worse to come back only to fall short.

But, if there is A hope for the season, the seeds of it were probably planted in the 2nd half.  We played like I thought we'd play all season.  

I don't know if there is hope.  Last season was such a fun ride.  Maybe it won't be a linear trajectory.  Maybe this season is a step back before we put together another real run.

But another thing I agree on is how different ALL of it feels w/ Allen at QB. Not only did we get the best guy in that draft - there isn't anyone in the league I'd rather have.  The fact that we get another decade+ of watching this guy is a joyful feeling and provides a foundation of hope that helps me suffer these setbacks more gladly.

Josh Allen WILL win a Super Bowl.

I hope you are right.  Next year is JA's 5th season already.  He needs to play better and the organization needs to plug some gaping holes.

If we'd won Dane Jacks would have gotten a a game ball. Thought he "filled in" as well as he could.

I really think 2 and 10 are linked... The league has figured us out a little, and someone hasn't made the necessary adjustments.

Can Edmunds catch? Can we make him a TE. Not a slight to Knox as he is trending in the right direction.

Elderly Woman is one of my least favorite PJ songs but still happy its PJ and not the Dead. Are you a Hip fan? Maybe next year?

Edited by qwksilver

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Yes we should absolutely be concerned. He’s not tracking it properly and the ball tonight fell harmlessly right next to him?! it’s inexplicable?!.  I think there was another one later on too.  Also, he so concerned with trying to draw a penalty he’s forgetting to actually go after and fight for the ball. He just throwing his hands up and flopping a bit. It’s a bad look. He need to start acting like a professional WR.  He will get the calls if he’s fighting for he ball, not throwing his hands up.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yeah, I didn’t know we’d sneak back in the game when down 24-3, so called Allen runs really drove me crazy at that point. I’m not sure if most fans understand how much of a unnecessary beating Josh is taking. It’s ridiculous for a guy with an elite arm. 

10 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Yes we should absolutely be concerned. He’s not tracking it properly and the ball tonight fell harmlessly right next to him?! it’s inexplicable?!.  I think there was another one later on too.  Also, he so concerned with trying to draw a penalty he’s forgetting to actually go after and fight for the ball. He just throwing his hands up and flopping a bit. It’s a bad look. He need to start acting like a professional WR.  He will get the calls if he’s fighting for he ball, not throwing his hands up.

Diggs effort has looked subpar the past few games. I’ve seen injury suggested, which is possible. I just hope this isn’t like Minnesota where he shuts down a bit when things aren’t going according to plan.

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Best Williams Available said:

Thanks Virgil!

2- our “go to plays” only work if our player makes an incredible play, they’re never easy or take advantage of mis matches.

5- I can deal with Oliver being a mean a**hole as long as he performs.

6- Dane Jackson did incredible for what he was asked to do.

7- utter garbage is Edmunds. We win if Klein plays today.

9- I don’t want McD near the offense or we get more Moss-like runs every set of downs. Dump Daboll and promote Dorsey or get some recently fired offensive minded head coach out for redemption.

Whomever decided to tighten the o-line splits at the half and get back to chucking the rock off of RPOs did it right today.  The more I think about it, the more I wonder if this season was derailed by crappy weather that took our offense out of rhythm.  

Also, WTF is going on with our guards on the exchanges.  We're going to get Allen killed if this keeps up.  Hence the tighter splits.  Whatever.  This loss feels cathartic in a way.  In the second half we finally played the way we're capable of.  Long term, we're going to be fine.  Short term, we'll probably make the playoffs and we will be a tough out.  Good times are ahead.  

1 hour ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

I hope you are right.  Next year is JA's 5th season already.  He needs to play better and the organization needs to plug some gaping holes.

Kelly didn't make it until his fifth season in the NFL.  So there's that.  But unlike Kelly, Josh Allen is going to win a Super Bowl.  This kid has it all. 

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

To his defense he got held all game tonight pretty egregiously and I’m sure he was getting heated…i think it’s pretty irrelevant if he threw his hands up on any of those plays the refs were intent on swallowing their whistles 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Hard to track accurately when you’re dragging an anchor. 🤷‍♂️ 

82325FA5-4E99-4148-909A-0AB68C8D43D9.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, I didn’t know we’d sneak back in the game when down 24-3, so called Allen runs really drove me crazy at that point. I’m not sure if most fans understand how much of a unnecessary beating Josh is taking. It’s ridiculous for a guy with an elite arm. 

Diggs effort has looked subpar the past few games. I’ve seen injury suggested, which is possible. I just hope this isn’t like Minnesota where he shuts down a bit when things aren’t going according to plan.

Held all game two games in a row…to the pats credit they didn’t have to worry about dbs getting handsy with receivers because they stuffed the ball down our throats lol today the refs really irked me though for the first time in a long time. Usually it’s 2 or 3 terrible calls against each team but not today 

3 hours ago, elijah said:

Virgil man, I can’t even read this yet. Normally you wait until the day after for your own emotions to settle, I need my emotions to settle too. Why are you doing this to me already 😭 

I’m sure it’s fantastic and I’ll revisit tomorrow

I just read the lyrics. Without an OL we going nowhere in no particular order. 

3 hours ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Miracle comeback and we win the toss in OT.  Our first play is a freaking vanilla run play to one of our slow backs?????

Daboll should have went for the jugular in OT.  Instead he goes right back to wasting 1st down with a handoff to re-establish a run game that never was established against the best front 7 in the NFL.  We have been shredding their secondary.  Run it on first?  Why not go to far end of the play book and dial up a few nasty plays to try and WIN the f@#%$^ING game.  

It's the mentality that bothers me most.  Why didn't we go down swinging?  Instead we come out with some lame ass vanilla drive where we're expecting to punt and play freaking chess with Tom Brady for 15 minutes?  I mean we haven't seen him (and Gronk) pull games out for 20 years or anything.

Dumballs might be the worst 1st down coordinator in the league. His days are numbered.

Haha I love it when you mention this will be the last time you write about edmunds- I believe you said that several weeks ago (was it against ten?).

anyways, I think 90% agree that he’s not it. he doesn’t have the physicality or leadership traits you need from a mike. 

Hyde, Poyer, and Dane played consistently well today. Dane should take over the two spot.

The defense was weak last year too, but the offense was clicking on all cylinders that it didn’t matter. JA17 had time to throw last year, and now the offensive line stinks. Idk what it is or why their play has fallen off, but the o-line is the first reason this team has 6 losses. Good play from them against Pitt, Jax, NE, and  today wins is the game, despite the coaching failures from daboll and McD.

Getting new guards and center is the first priority. Id be ok with moving mongo to the center and cutting Morse and just filling in the guards though 

Those were not 50/50 calls that didn't go in our favor...they were blatant as you could get calls on Diggs...3 of them. The most egregious(see the reverse angle where he literally has Diggs with both hands on his collar pulling him down as he falls) of which was in the end zone and would have given them a 1st and goal from the 1 late in the 4th.

The other one was the last play in OT where he grabs his shoulder and pulls the jersey and then earlier in the game where he is almost pulling Diggs undershirt off and has about 2.5 feet of it stretched out...

It's ludicrous how other teams get away with this stuff every week yet we get called for every single time we touch an opposing WR.

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Held all game two games in a row…to the pats credit they didn’t have to worry about dbs getting handsy with receivers because they stuffed the ball down our throats lol today the refs really irked me though for the first time in a long time. Usually it’s 2 or 3 terrible calls against each team but not today 

Been getting held all game since the AFCCG last year

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm still not sold on Knox. It's nice he leads the league in TD's for TE's but just moving the sticks consistently is more important. 

I'd be weary of paying him too much whenever he hits the market. Not sure he will be worth what the market will want to pay him.

hes not consistent or elusive enough like kelce, and he isnt the beast kittle is.

he needs to work on his catching and blocking a helluva lot more.

The one thing that bothers me most about this game... and there were plenty of things in this game!

Red zone TD scoring. The 2021* Buffalo Bills are currently ranked 18th in the league. Currently at 58.93% and that is up from their last 3 games were they were 46.5%.

Last season I believe they were close to #1 for awhile and settled in at #12. 

The Bills score a TD when it's 3rd and 2 at the TB 7 yard line... or even go for it on fourth down instead of a field goal. If the Bills get a TD there I doubt even miracle worker Brady gets a TD with 22 seconds or less left in the game.

I'll be happy when I see the door hitting Dabs on his way out...

Lastly, What happened with Diggs in this game, along with Sanders and did the offense do better after Sanders left the game? Targeting Bease, Davis more often?

10 hours ago, Kelly's Heroes said:

For me, it is time to let Daboll go work at wendy's, he is sooooooo over rated....... Not to even try running the ball......well nuff said..

Agree! 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Agree 1

Point 10 about Sanders is spot on.  At first I thought he was a good addition as a vet presence, but over the last few games he is nothing but a just another guy out there. Perhaps 1-2 receptions a game but not the impact player I thought he would be. During Josh’s presser he specifically cited Gabe, saying he didn’t know what happened to sanders , BUT GABE NEEDs to be on the field more and the players want him there!   Sanders does not make that 4 th down conversion.   When the qb is calling for Davis to be in there it shows why this o has been dysfunctional at times, obviously like Mcd has done in other situations , he is putting Sanders in just because of who he is and not based on actual current performance!  

We all see Davis produce , and we see Sanders making catches when open in zones , but he is not a dynamic player at this point. I believe in Josh who passionately called for Gabe in the future and this must be a real issue ; the difference in results can’t be ignored and it is a test of mcds and Dabolls abilities to actually have a grasp on team chemistry and to see if they can really effect change to save the season.  Time will tell.  Sanders is not deserving of the same snap count at this point ! 

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm still not sold on Knox. It's nice he leads the league in TD's for TE's but just moving the sticks consistently is more important. 

I'd be weary of paying him too much whenever he hits the market. Not sure he will be worth what the market will want to pay him.

Knox is good, but he can’t be your only TE.  We need another…preferably one who can block as well as catch.

After some reflection time about this game, and the season (by the way, this "tale of two half's" game, is a perfect metaphor for the entire Bills season): I think this team's problem of inconsistency boils down to one big inconsistency, the offensive line. ....  I know, the D-line is a close second .... but all-in-all, a better o-line that gives your all-world QB time to throw and to not be running for his life most of the time, and one that can at least make your running game respectable, makes all the difference for this team. .... Where do we invest in the off-season = the O-line!

Great post as usual but I have a question.....Are we 100% sure that we are not overrating our safeties at this point? I must say that I was not overly impressed with them last night. 

I also think that Josh makes these receivers look quite a bit better than they are.

As always, jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.