Star is out - toe injury

First Round Bust

40 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Star isn't solely responsible for those games and that's only a couple, anyway. As much doom & gloom there is on this forum, Buffalo Bills still have the #1 defense in the league to my knowledge.

He occupies space ok but he’s just not that good.  You’ll get to see a very good DT Sunday in Vita Vea who is a monster and everything Star is not 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 727Bills said:

We have some tough guys in here that seem to think a toe injury can easily be played through. It's only on a limb that gets used every time you play football and needs to carry your entire body weight plus that of possibly 2 or 3 other people at the same time. 

For a skill Position I agree, but a lineman? Hell I know one lineman (Mankins) played 8 games on a partially torn ACL and MCL.  I honestly don’t see how a toe keeps you out of an important game?

Bean did a great job here.  Overpay for Star, then not bring in any competition this past offseason.  That said, Star is an average player at his best, so this really can't be an excuse, but it is an issue because everyone else we have at 1T is below average (looking at you, Bean Boy)

25 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

For a skill Position I agree, but a lineman? Hell I know one lineman (Mankins) played 8 games on a partially torn ACL and MCL.  I honestly don’t see how a toe keeps you out of an important game?

We don't know which toe, if it's a pinky toe or similar I'd have to agree, but if it's your big toe.... That's gonna be painful depending on what happened.  

In the past I have stupidly dropped heavy items on my toes (no steel toe boots) while growing up on a farm and the pain was bad and my ability to walk and do normal things was greatly affected, let alone what it would take to be an OL/DL in the NFL. 

Turf toe (while not what I had) is real and keeps many professional players out for periods of time. I'd imagine it's similar pain but cant speak from experience. 

I'm not a fan of Star myself but we don't even know the injury and people are calling for his head, it's crazy. 

55 minutes ago, Governor said:

For what? There’s no harm in cutting him right now.

Due to his contract restructuring there actually is harm to cut him right now. 

This season his active cap hit is 7.6mm and his dead cap would be 9.5mm. We'd be....shooting ourselves in the foot... if we released him right now. 

In 2022 his active cap hit is 9.4mm and if he's released we take on 5.1mm dead cap. 4.3mm in cap savings if we release him then. 

If we wait one more year until 2023 Star has an active cap of 9mm and no dead cap at all. 9mm in cap savings for that year. 

I'm guessing we'll release him in 2022 for the 4+mm savings. 

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Star isn't solely responsible for those games and that's only a couple, anyway. As much doom & gloom there is on this forum, Buffalo Bills still have the #1 defense in the league to my knowledge.

To clarify........you said he is GREAT when he is on the field.

I never said anything about the Bills defensive ranking and the fact that they have played well despite his frequent absences is not the best proof of his greatness.    You're off on a tangent here.

Besides........having a #1 defense is about yardage allowed.   So the key is to be a good pass defense because it's about twice as hard to gain yardage on the ground in the NFL as it is in the air.    

Take the "L".........calling him great wasn't an accurate statement by any means.

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Think it’s pretty obvious Star is playing his last few games as a Bill 

Playing? You're to ***** generous!

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Think it’s pretty obvious Star is playing his last few games as a Bill 

Playing? You're to ***** generous!

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Our scheme is wonderful until we get run over. Maybe next year we can request to play passing teams only. Get it done Pegula.....

One of the things we are seeing though is that there are teams running for 200+ yards every week now and those teams aren't dominating the actual games.

TN ran for 270 and LOST to NE.   Minnesota ran for 242 and SHOULD have lost if Freiermuth can hold on to the very well thrown pass in the end zone last night.    NE ran for a bunch versus Buffalo but should have lost that game but for far too many unforced errors by Buffalo as well.

The reality is..........ground and pound isn't domination anymore.   Rushing yards used to have a greater impact back in the day when it was harder for teams to score fast or come back from larger deficits.   That's not the case now.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The guy opts out last year due to Covid. Then this year does not get vaccinated and misses multiple games  Now he's injured. Clearly he's a guy who wishes to get paid but not play. He's a parasite.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Our scheme is wonderful until we get run over. Maybe next year we can request to play passing teams only. Get it done Pegula.....

It is what it is.  That’s our scheme.  We need plauers that can cover AND stop the run, but coverage is #1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The reality is..........ground and pound isn't domination anymore.   Rushing yards used to have a greater impact back in the day when it was harder for teams to score fast or come back from larger deficits.   That's not the case now.   

But, to ask the obvious, you do believe in a balanced attack, the credible threat of a run and actually mixing in a healthy (35-40%) of run plays, right? 

Nothing should be taken to the extreme either way. That's why I feel Tampa Bay is skewing too far towards the passing game right now and why I think they won't win it all this time.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He's there to make the difference against the run and in those 2 games, the Bills got ran on for 368 yards.

They a re no better with him in there...

He was a predicted bust after lounging off for a year.

his "star" has been controversial from the get go..his contract, his efficiency, his covid holdout, he has his  advocates and doubters throughout his tenure.... this thread reads proof that the fanbase are ready to kick he and his bum toe to the curb next year ....

BYE STAR

that's my vote. Im done. he still wears the uniform so I wont trash him for an injury but overall I just think its time to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

But, to ask the obvious, you do believe in a balanced attack, the credible threat of a run and actually mixing in a healthy (35-40%) of run plays, right? 

Nothing should be taken to the extreme either way. That's why I feel Tampa Bay is skewing too far towards the passing game right now and why I think they won't win it all this time.

I am interested in this issue as it applies to our offense. We need a better run game. It will make our pass game much more effective. That's the point, though when one asserts it, some posters go back at you as if you are preaching a return to the seventies and the ground and pound game. That is a sophistry, substituting a ridiculous argument for the actual assertion in order to easily dismiss it. 

16 hours ago, 727Bills said:

We have some tough guys in here that seem to think a toe injury can easily be played through. It's only on a limb that gets used every time you play football and needs to carry your entire body weight plus that of possibly 2 or 3 other people at the same time. 

Actually, I think we just have a lot of posters in here who have finally moved on from the “our run defense will be better when Star comes back” narrative, myself included. His case of “boo-boo foot” is just the final in a long line of straws that broke the narrative’s back. Now a fresh new group are adding their frustration to the chorus of venting to the stars. 

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

TN ran for 270 and LOST to NE.   Minnesota ran for 242 and SHOULD have lost if Freiermuth can hold on to the very well thrown pass in the end zone last night.    NE ran for a bunch versus Buffalo but should have lost that game but for far too many unforced errors by Buffalo as well.

Had Freiermuth not had the ball punched out in the last play (it was an excellent defensive play), then Pittsburgh would’ve still needed a successful 2 point conversion just to get to OT.  So your comment was a bit of an overstatement.  

11 minutes ago, transient said:

Actually, I think we just have a lot of posters in here who have finally moved on from the “our run defense will be better when Star comes back” narrative, myself included. His case of “boo-boo foot” is just the final in a long line of straws that broke the narrative’s back. Now a fresh new group are adding their frustration to the chorus of venting to the stars. 

Good.  It’s about time people start giving up the false narratives surrounding Star.  He hasn’t played anywhere close to his contract since he got here and he’s been so bad against the run.  Sadly, due to his contract there’s a very good chance he will be here next season. 

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Running the ball creates space in your passing game.   It slows the pass rush for the QB and then the back 7 also has to respect their run responsibilities.  I'm not a fan at all of spread offense football.   But I am also not one who thinks you need a top 5 running game either.    It's about scoring.   The old Ron Jaworski saying still works "you score points in the passing game".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Had Freiermuth not had the ball punched out in the last play (it was an excellent defensive play), then Pittsburgh would’ve still needed a successful 2 point conversion just to get to OT.  So your comment was a bit of an overstatement.  

Correct.   I didn't watch the end,  just saw the highlights of second half.   Thought they were down by 6.  But the fact is that dominating a team on the ground isn't a death blow to that team in the modern NFL.   It's not a mistake or even a glaring sign of weakness that teams are allowing so many rushing yards.

It's primarily because they don't want to get beaten by big plays in the passing game.  

That's been the theme of the entire NFL season.

If Buffalo was terrified of the scoring impact of NE running at them all night.........they wouldn't have played 5 DB's most of the game.

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If Buffalo was terrified of the scoring impact of NE running at them all night.........they wouldn't have played 5 DB's most of the game.

I agree with what I believe to be your point, that McDermott doesn't see it as a huge problem if the opponent racks up 222 yds, provided the Bills successfully limit their scoring (1 TD and 2 FG probably counts as "limited")

However, somewhat ironically, the Bills played base D with 3 LB the majority of the Pats game - only with Dodson instead of Klein.  I believe they might have played base even more if Klein had been available.  Dodson instead of Klein is a pretty clear downgrade.

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Beane wished upon a Star and it bit him in his ass.

The funny thing is, we allegedly had the "inside scoop" on Star due to his initial drafting by Carolina.  These guys felt like they already knew what he was all about.

So much for that strategy...

Maybe go with total strangers next time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The funny thing is, we allegedly had the "inside scoop" on Star due to his initial drafting by Carolina.  These guys felt like they already knew what he was all about.

So much for that strategy...

Maybe go with total strangers next time.

Star just seems like a nice guy. Family man (and a Mormon), interested in life beyond football, quiet, unassuming despite his size. 

https://www.deseret.com/2019/8/05/20451458/star-lotulelei-getting-married-was-something-that-helped-me-become-grounded#carolina-panthers-first-round-nfl-football-draft-choice-star-lotulelei-speaks-during-a-news-conference-in-charlotte-n-c-friday-april-26-2013

Unfortunately, we like our team's players to be tough guys who play through pain and sacrifice their bodies for those 5 or (if they're very lucky) 10 years of NFL glory.

Sometimes a player like Star's behavior looks an awful lot like not caring about his team. But I can't blame him - if someone gave me the contract the Bills gave him, I might well do the same things. (other than the anti-vaxx thing!)

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Star just seems like a nice guy. Family man (and a Mormon), interested in life beyond football, quiet, unassuming despite his size. 

https://www.deseret.com/2019/8/05/20451458/star-lotulelei-getting-married-was-something-that-helped-me-become-grounded#carolina-panthers-first-round-nfl-football-draft-choice-star-lotulelei-speaks-during-a-news-conference-in-charlotte-n-c-friday-april-26-2013

Unfortunately, we like our team's players to be tough guys who play through pain and sacrifice their bodies for those 5 or (if they're very lucky) 10 years of NFL glory.

Sometimes a player like Star's behavior looks an awful lot like not caring about his team. But I can't blame him - if someone gave me the contract the Bills gave him, I might well do the same things. (other than the anti-vaxx thing!)

But then what about all the "process" crap McDermott spews constantly? 

He preaches intangibles mercilessly, and seemingly believes they play a huge role in winning.

So then he goes with a mild mannered family guy?  

Maybe, in this kind of way, we see McDermott's ultimate weakness as team leader and team builder.

Good guys finish last.

mmqb-lotulelei-draftjpg.jpg

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I am interested in this issue as it applies to our offense. We need a better run game. It will make our pass game much more effective. That's the point, though when one asserts it, some posters go back at you as if you are preaching a return to the seventies and the ground and pound game. That is a sophistry, substituting a ridiculous argument for the actual assertion in order to easily dismiss it. 

Yep. For the longest time, I have advocated (and I dont profess that this is a huge revelation) that any offense which leans too much in one direction can not be successful in the long run (heh). Sure, I realize that the game has evolved but teams without a semblance of a balanced attack will end their run somewhere in the playoffs before the Superbowl. Even the Chiefs realized the value of a running attack and protection as they drafted CEH in the first round (luxury pick for other teams) and revamped their OL. We will have to do the same this coming offseason - get a good RB (round 3 and lower is ideal but def not in round 1) and strengthen the interior of the OL 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Running the ball creates space in your passing game.   It slows the pass rush for the QB and then the back 7 also has to respect their run responsibilities.  I'm not a fan at all of spread offense football.   But I am also not one who thinks you need a top 5 running game either.    It's about scoring.   The old Ron Jaworski saying still works "you score points in the passing game".

I am not saying that we need a top 5 run game. With Allen at QB, we should not strive to be the Titans. But darn it, at least have a decent run game which averages ~ 3.9 YPC.

I would love to have a Warrick Dunn+Alstott or Bettis for pounding it in in the RZ but those days are likely gone. Not asking for that at all. The run game under McBeane has sucked and Allen's run cannot be shown as a reason why we dont need RB based run game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.