A Little Perspective: Why we shouldn't be down on the McBeane Regime

folz

I know there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions after loses, but I have been surprised at how many posters are so down on Beane and McDermott, some even suggesting we need to get rid of them.

I get it, the loss to New England, which not only put the Pats in first place for the division, but also in the conference, opened up some very old and deep wounds. Seeing Belichick smile after a win in our house sucked...but it also shows you what he thinks of the current Bills (the hoodie almost never smiles---even after wins, except maybe Super Bowl victories).

So, I think we all need a little perspective. First of all, as bad as some aspects of our team is right now (rushing/stopping the run), we are only 4-5 plays away from being 11-1. Take away the blocked punt against the Steelers, if Josh made the 4th down against the Titans, and any one or two plays going our way against the Pats and Jags, and we win all of those games. The margin between the best record in the league and a good/ok record in the NFL is razor thin. Those loses all count, they all matter, but we are not as bad as some are making us out to be. Do we have flaws and warts, players that we need to move on from next year, etc? Of course, almost every team does, but we are still a very good team with a lot of talent.

I do expect that we will still make the playoffs this year (whatever seed). That would be 4 out of 5 years of making the playoffs in the McBeane era...after 17 years of no playoffs. The record/win percentage over the last 5 years under McBeane is 45-31 or almost 60% win percentage (59.2% to be precise). And that of course includes 2018 which was an obvious rebuild year where we were depleted of talent (to fix the cap). In the 5 years prior to McBeane, our record was 36-44 (45% win percentage). In the 17 years of the drought, the Bills' win percentage was 41%. McDermott already has the third best win percentage of all Buffalo Bills coaches (behind only Marv and Wade). And Wade only coached three years and lost both of his playoff appearances. McDermott's two playoff wins are the only playoff wins since December 30th, 1995 (26 years ago).

This team has fun, exciting players. Great personalities. They are good people, with great work ethics, who like being in Buffalo, and play hard for each other and the fans. A true team with players I enjoy rooting for. There is no way in hell that I would blow things up or get rid of Beane and/or McDermott any time soon. Is there still work to do? Obviously. But in over 60 years of Buffalo Bills football, this is the best we've had it outside of the 4-year AFL run and the 8- to 9-year run in the 90s.

Have we already forgotten what New Year's Eve 2017 felt like? That was one of the most emotionally-impactful moments in Bills history, and one of the best New Year's Eves I've ever had (thank you Sean McDermott). Have we forgotten what it is like to have incompetency in the front office? Have we forgotten that they have brought us our first franchise QB in 25 years?

There are still 5 games left to right the ship, get into the playoffs, and possibly make a run. In the playoffs, everyone starts 0-0.

But even if that doesn't happen, I will be backing Beane and Mcdermott.

In that worst-case scenario (missing the playoffs or a quick exit), maybe it would be like the 90s team.  In 1988, they had a great record (12-4; a lot of close wins) and went to the AFC Championship game where they were disappointed by the Bengals. In '99, they took a step back with a 9-7 record and a divisional playoff loss to the Browns. Then they went on the run of 4 Super Bowl appearances. Let's not try to kill the momentum that is building. Most success stories are not a straight line up to the top. There are always a few setbacks or apparent regressions along the way---two steps forward, one step back. 

Now, I'm definitely not putting this season to bed...they can still turn it around and make a run (there are no dominant teams in the AFC this year---once in the playoffs, every game will be up for grabs). But ultimately, maybe this team just needs one more season of acquisitions and seasoning/experience to be true, perennial Super Bowl contenders. I don't know about you all, but I want to stick to the process. We're so close.

Go Bills!!!!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 9

3 minutes ago, folz said:

They are good people

This made me laugh out loud!  

With all due respect, who gives a rat's ass who is good or bad on a football team?

You think BB cares about that?  

He cares about wins.  

I wish we had a few more of them than we do have, but of course we are still a GOOD TEAM and I agree we will make the playoffs.

All hope is not yet lost!

• Disagree 4
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

Great post.  Like you said, the wounds are "old & deep" w/ the Pats.  I don't think any Bills fans can be too rational in the immediate aftermath of a game like that.

BB is a better coach than McD, at least right now. And he coached a hurricane kind of game better than McD did (with a team that's more built for that kind of condition).  That doesn't mean McD isn't a good coach, or isn't one of the best coaches in the league.

I'm still very optimistic.  If we beat the Bucs on Sunday, this whole board will sound very different.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane and McDermott have to probably have 3 losing seasons in a row before I would say it's time to change. 

They've built a winning program. Need to make some improvements. They aren't going anywhere. A few will cry for change, that's what normally happens. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

With all due respect, who gives a rat's ass who is good or bad on a football team?

He cares about wins.  

I wish we had a few more of them than we do have, but of course we are still a GOOD TEAM and I agree we will make the playoffs.

Rex Ryan is a douche and it proved detrimental to the locker room. So it kind of does matter.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He cares about wins.  

I understand that for some fans, they just want talent at any cost because they just want to win. I get it. And no, I don't think BB cares about if his players are good guys off the field.

But I do and I think Sean and Brandon (for the most part) do. I want to like the players that I am rooting for. That may seem strange to some fans, but it's just how I feel. I don't want to root for a bunch of divas or guys who are always getting themselves in trouble, or not treating other people well. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

Beane just has blind spots when it comes to talent evaluations..since he got QB right I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt…but in order to upgrade the front 7 we kept ignoring holes on offense like 2TE OG RB

I know it may surprise Brandon but Josh can’t play all 11 positions on the field…I mean the guy added 1 whole offensive playmaker in the summer in Manny Sanders 

• Like (+1) 1

BB turned a 7-9 team into a division winner and a SB favorite in one offseason. McBeane can't compete with that. They're not that good. The last 3 drafts their top picks were all D linemen. To the detriment of other positions like OL and RB. McBeane can't tie BB shoes.  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Beane and McDermott have to probably have 3 losing seasons in a row before I would say it's time to change. 

They've built a winning program. Need to make some improvements. They aren't going anywhere. A few will cry for change, that's what normally happens. 

Winning program, good. Championship team, much better!! 

5 minutes ago, GLP said:

BB turned a 7-9 team into a division winner and a SB favorite in one offseason. McBeane can't compete with that. They're not that good. The last 3 drafts their top picks were all D linemen. To the detriment of other positions like OL and RB. McBeane can't tie BB shoes.  

Well with the way Billy boy is looking lately I think he may even have a problem tieing his own shoes, guy has definitely been packing on the pounds.

10 minutes ago, GLP said:

True, but Pats were still good (not terrible) last year.  They just didn't have a QB, and some players held out.  Plus he's BB.  They have a system and a system that wins.

The Bills have to do their own thing, and let's hope for better results in 2022 or a miracle play in 2021.

Beane did a bad job with our roster this season. I'm sorry, but this is essentially the same team that was humiliated by KC in January, save a couple of rookie lineman we drafted.  It was poor talent evaluation and an emphasis on resigning expiring contract players. Star,Hughes, Addison have been pedestrian at best on defense. The O-line has been ordinary and that is not maximizing our greatest asset, Josh. TE ,RB should have been upgraded for depth if nothing else. We went from SB contender to ? to make the playoffs. Beane should get another offseason to improve but progress must be clear for this great fanbase to have faith in our braintrust going forward. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Detroit lions are also 7-8 plays from being 11-1. So are most bad teams. This seasons has exposed that last years odd Covid season with it's empty stadiums, and many players taking the year off was an anomaly. Josh was able to capitalize on playing in stadiums where you could here the traffic from the nearby highways. This team just isn't very good. The Bills schedule was a laughingstock chock full of pitiful teams, playing 2nd & 3rd string QB's. As soon as the JV schedule was over the Bills have sunk to a wild card slot that didn't even exist 2 years ago. A major retooling is required, and the Bills are in salary cap hell. The pathetic and dishonorable lineman Lotulelei shows nothing but contempt for the team and it's fans. This has become the most disappointing team in Bills history. If they back into the playoffs by beating the lowly Jets and Falcons, I guess it would be appropriate.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Im not down overall on McBeane but resigning the same Oline that was horrible last year was a mistake. I was shocked when they brought all those guys back knowing we needed improvement in at least 3 positions. We did upgrade at RT with Brown but i really dont think they were going to get this play out him this soon, so we lucked out there.

ALso McDermott has regressed to more conservative game planning and decisions making. He says he reviews himself everyday so i hope he figures out that what he's doing right now is a step in the wrong direction and becomes more aggressive, otherwise we aren't going anywhere this year.

We need to play like we did in the 4th quarter of the patriots game all the time.

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, folz said:

I know there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions after loses, but I have been surprised at how many posters are so down on Beane and McDermott, some even suggesting we need to get rid of them.

I get it, the loss to New England, which not only put the Pats in first place for the division, but also in the conference, opened up some very old and deep wounds. Seeing Belichick smile after a win in our house sucked...but it also shows you what he thinks of the current Bills (the hoodie almost never smiles---even after wins, except maybe Super Bowl victories).

So, I think we all need a little perspective. First of all, as bad as some aspects of our team is right now (rushing/stopping the run), we are only 4-5 plays away from being 11-1. Take away the blocked punt against the Steelers, if Josh made the 4th down against the Titans, and any one or two plays going our way against the Pats and Jags, and we win all of those games. The margin between the best record in the league and a good/ok record in the NFL is razor thin. Those loses all count, they all matter, but we are not as bad as some are making us out to be. Do we have flaws and warts, players that we need to move on from next year, etc? Of course, almost every team does, but we are still a very good team with a lot of talent.

I do expect that we will still make the playoffs this year (whatever seed). That would be 4 out of 5 years of making the playoffs in the McBeane era...after 17 years of no playoffs. The record/win percentage over the last 5 years under McBeane is 45-31 or almost 60% win percentage (59.2% to be precise). And that of course includes 2018 which was an obvious rebuild year where we were depleted of talent (to fix the cap). In the 5 years prior to McBeane, our record was 36-44 (45% win percentage). In the 17 years of the drought, the Bills' win percentage was 41%. McDermott already has the third best win percentage of all Buffalo Bills coaches (behind only Marv and Wade). And Wade only coached three years and lost both of his playoff appearances. McDermott's two playoff wins are the only playoff wins since December 30th, 1995 (26 years ago).

This team has fun, exciting players. Great personalities. They are good people, with great work ethics, who like being in Buffalo, and play hard for each other and the fans. A true team with players I enjoy rooting for. There is no way in hell that I would blow things up or get rid of Beane and/or McDermott any time soon. Is there still work to do? Obviously. But in over 60 years of Buffalo Bills football, this is the best we've had it outside of the 4-year AFL run and the 8- to 9-year run in the 90s.

Have we already forgotten what New Year's Eve 2017 felt like? That was one of the most emotionally-impactful moments in Bills history, and one of the best New Year's Eves I've ever had (thank you Sean McDermott). Have we forgotten what it is like to have incompetency in the front office? Have we forgotten that they have brought us our first franchise QB in 25 years?

There are still 5 games left to right the ship, get into the playoffs, and possibly make a run. In the playoffs, everyone starts 0-0.

But even if that doesn't happen, I will be backing Beane and Mcdermott.

In that worst-case scenario (missing the playoffs or a quick exit), maybe it would be like the 90s team.  In 1988, they had a great record (12-4; a lot of close wins) and went to the AFC Championship game where they were disappointed by the Bengals. In '99, they took a step back with a 9-7 record and a divisional playoff loss to the Browns. Then they went on the run of 4 Super Bowl appearances. Let's not try to kill the momentum that is building. Most success stories are not a straight line up to the top. There are always a few setbacks or apparent regressions along the way---two steps forward, one step back. 

Now, I'm definitely not putting this season to bed...they can still turn it around and make a run (there are no dominant teams in the AFC this year---once in the playoffs, every game will be up for grabs). But ultimately, maybe this team just needs one more season of acquisitions and seasoning/experience to be true, perennial Super Bowl contenders. I don't know about you all, but I want to stick to the process. We're so close.

Go Bills!!!!

Got the most important position on the field right and everything you can fix but he has been really bad in how he has spent money in free agency .  Other then Beasily he has wasted huge money and average to below average players.  He really needs to stop over paying for fringe talent players

• Agree 2

Rationalize all you want. Last year was the a Great shot with a rising QB small cap hit and all the roster Talent.  This season the team and roster already hint at a decline and now there is the burden of a high cost QB, corner, wr and LT. It’s going to require finding more surprise upside guys. 

it’s really disparaging how far they look away right now from even last years squad.  

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo619 said:

After another failed Challenge. This coach coaches from pure emotion and He’s too emotional.  He needs to right ship and fast, before he loses the locker room. 

That challenge was fine. A change in possession there would have swung the game and gave the d who was getting steamrolled a breather. I think he might have been right but there was no camera angle to help.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I'm not asking for the hook, but I don't apologize for being harsh on either of them right now. Imagine if you were underperforming at work and you told your boss either of the following:

"I have been really good in the past"

"Remember how bad it was before I got here"

I don't see either being a viable excuse. It's both of their jobs to be good and we should hold them to that standard as we have when they have been good (I don't think fans have been short to praise either).

Lets see how we finish this year and then lets see what we do in the offseason. Nobody with a sane mind is calling for them to be fired.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't believe this regime will ever lead the Bills to a SB, last year was a fluke and as close as they'll ever get when we look back in a few years.

But the idea that they would have to have multiple losing seasons before change is even considered is silly. They aren't messiahs, they were simply in the right place at the right time after parity finally ran it's course after 17 long miserable years. And after signing a QB to record deal it's not about making the playoffs anymore, it's about getting to SB's and winning them now and both Beane/McDermott know this as do the Pegulas.

So if this season does end without the playoffs or another one and done playoff appearance no matter what fans want to think the reality is the seat officially becomes hot for this regime entering the 2022 season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

By your assertion we were "4-5 plays" away from 11-1. Two ssues with that line of thought.

1. Every time we have needed "a play" we fail to convert.

2. The games we needed "a play" should never have come down to needing 1 magic play at the end.

That's what happens to bad teams...not yeams the played in the AFC Championship Game. Since that game the Bills made almost zero improvements. They have stayed predictable. Since beating KC this is a 3-4 football team. Sub .500.

We haven't converted plays simply because we do not have players talented enough to complete the task. Sanders started strong...looks his age now. Beasley has battled injury and is very inconsistant this year. Other than Allen and Diggs on offense there is not 1 players that can be counted on week in and week out. Other than Allen and Diggs we have no gamebreaking talent on offense. Knox flashed well but since the hand injury has reverted back to Drop some. He's also a guy that disappears between the 20s. Gabe Davis is a playmaker but plays limited snaps. The line is atrocious on their best day. Bobby Hart and Forrest Lamp weren't the answer. Who would have thought. Can't run the ball, have difficulties scoring in the red zone and seem to commit penalties every chance they get.

The defense plays hard but again has no big play guys. Milano has been average since his injury. We have no one that's can get too the QB. Miss me with the "pressures are just as good as sacks" line of thought. You need BOTH. We have invested many high draft picks and 10s of millions of dollars this position group...only to rotate them through every possession and got low snaps for each big investment.  Just a dumb philosophy IMO. Let your best players PLAY.

This team and the personal have taken a large step back. We have gone from expectations of a deep playoff run to using the ESPN Playoff Calculator to try and see ways we will MAKE the playoffs. Every single decision personal wise they have made since the close of last season has backfired with the possible exception of Groot...but he needs to take a bit step forward next year.

No, I'm not saying to fire everyone (Bobby Johnson and Daboll leaving wouldn't make me cry though). However a 1 and done this post season would make me preheat that hot seat headed into next year. And unless steps forward are taken in 2022...let the search begin.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That challenge was fine. A change in possession there would have swung the game and gave the d who was getting steamrolled a breather. I think he might have been right but there was no camera angle to help.

That challenge had zero chance to get an overturn.  A play like that is never overturned and everyone knows it.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

At 7-5 now yeah the team hasn't met my expectations when the year started and pretty much most fans.  The one thing positive I would say is this:

it seems the skill/talent/ whatever you want to call it level between the Bills and the cream of the crop of the AFC is less this year.  Meaning the Chiefs beat the Bills in regular season last year and pretty handily in the AFC Championship.  

Looks like New England and Tennessee are the top dogs in the East this year.  Both Bills games between the two were very close.  

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The challenge was dumb. It's not about being right, it's what you can prove.

McDermott has his flaws but he's a good coach.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

The Detroit lions are also 7-8 plays from being 11-1. So are most bad teams. This seasons has exposed that last years odd Covid season with it's empty stadiums, and many players taking the year off was an anomaly. Josh was able to capitalize on playing in stadiums where you could here the traffic from the nearby highways. This team just isn't very good. The Bills schedule was a laughingstock chock full of pitiful teams, playing 2nd & 3rd string QB's. As soon as the JV schedule was over the Bills have sunk to a wild card slot that didn't even exist 2 years ago. A major retooling is required, and the Bills are in salary cap hell. The pathetic and dishonorable lineman Lotulelei shows nothing but contempt for the team and it's fans. This has become the most disappointing team in Bills history. If they back into the playoffs by beating the lowly Jets and Falcons, I guess it would be appropriate.    

They aren’t in cap hell they can cut and restructure and literally have 50 million in cap space if they wanted 

27 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

At 7-5 now yeah the team hasn't met my expectations when the year started and pretty much most fans.  The one thing positive I would say is this:

it seems the skill/talent/ whatever you want to call it level between the Bills and the cream of the crop of the AFC is less this year.  Meaning the Chiefs beat the Bills in regular season last year and pretty handily in the AFC Championship.  

Looks like New England and Tennessee are the top dogs in the East this year.  Both Bills games between the two were very close.  

You mean the Tennessee team that lost at home to the Texans? 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

I don't believe this regime will ever lead the Bills to a SB, last year was a fluke and as close as they'll ever get when we look back in a few years.

But the idea that they would have to have multiple losing seasons before change is even considered is silly. They aren't messiahs, they were simply in the right place at the right time after parity finally ran it's course after 17 long miserable years. And after signing a QB to record deal it's not about making the playoffs anymore, it's about getting to SB's and winning them now and both Beane/McDermott know this as do the Pegulas.

So if this season does end without the playoffs or another one and done playoff appearance no matter what fans want to think the reality is the seat officially becomes hot for this regime entering the 2022 season.

How many coaches and GMs win all the time? Never have losing seasons? 

There is one thing that makes you a contender, the quarterback. Right now we're always going to be contenders because Josh Allen produces as a top 10 QB. What we need to do is get him more help upfront. Probably another weapon that isn't aging. Beane and McDermott have work to do this offseason but the fire them talk is way too early. 

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You mean the Tennessee team that lost at home to the Texans? 

They still have my respect for the time as being as a top team even if not for long.  Bills beat the Chiefs on their turf as well.  

My point being despite the year being frustrating I don't think the Bills are that far from being #1 in the East 

3 hours ago, GLP said:

And for him to get that team to 7-9 was impressive. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm probably sounding like a broken record now but the only guy I'm really down on in the whole organization is Daboll.  I've only been down on him this season too, he did an arguably excellent job in 2020 and a good enough job in 2019.  This year he's all over the place, and I feel like the strength of roster is really masking how poor a lot of the playcalls are.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, GLP said:

BB turned a 7-9 team into a division winner and a SB favorite in one offseason.

I know this is click bait but I don’t care… I’m in. 

DIVISION WINNER? 
since when do they crown division winners with 5 weeks left in the season? 

SB Favorite??

stop it. Just stop it. 

no doubt BB is a masterful, all-time great coach. Probably the greatest ever. But let’s not start adding hardware to his trophy case just yet. JA17 and the boys still might have something to say about all that. 

• Like (+1) 1

to answer the OP question why we shouldnt be down on the McBeane regime is this:

it comes off as whiny wanting gratification or throw it against the wall and break it in frustration type thinking  thats how it reads to me.

waaaay premature we arent even finished this season yet fcol

past behavior does indicate future behavior so if you're down on McDermott so be it there are reasons to not be 1000% thrilled with the guy. Fair

Same for Beane as always retrospective vision is 20-20 perfect...or not

which is why boards like this exist I guess

m

Edited by Muppy

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The challenge was dumb as *****… again, anybody with a brain who watches football knows that call is not being overturned… for ***** sake you couldn’t even see where the ball was.

I actually think it was a good call and coach new it wasn't getting overturned. Defense needed a break. 30 second timeout or what a 2+ minute replay review? I'll take the extra long timeout. Why leave the flag in your pocket?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The challenge was dumb as *****… again, anybody with a brain who watches football knows that call is not being overturned… for ***** sake you couldn’t even see where the ball was.

Forget the ball, you could barely even see Jones in that wall of humanity. Not one of McD's finest moments

14 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

They fell into the right situation?  I think you can give them a little more credit.  With your reasoning 31 coaches should be fired every season.  It's an absurd take.  Completely opposite of how you build a successful franchise. 

• Agree 1

Just now, nedboy7 said:

They fell into the right situation?  I think you can give them a little more credit.  With your reasoning 31 coaches should be fired every season.  It's an absurd take.  Completely opposite of how you build a successful franchise. 

Fella is here to provide the absurd take POV.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It wasn’t horrible last year…. They were a pretty solid pass blocking group that had its occasional ups and downs and certain players were exposed like Feliciano, and Ford. They couldn’t run block for ***** last year so I’m not sure why they thought bringing back the same group would fix those woes and now they’ve regressed in pass blocking as well. 

On stunts and blitzes they were horrible, this year they are horrible overall

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.